Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a fraternity

Starting a fraternity

I am moving into a house next to a university. My friend and i are thinking of starting a frat to get college girls to come over to party. We would probably be the coolest guys close to campus, so we will wait and see.

Been watching Old School lately??
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    Haha... You could put sand down on the floor and have like a beach party there too!
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

Corkscrew Poster
    One of the best things about my college is that there are no frats. Frats suck. There is nothoing good about them. You don't need to have a frat to get girls to come to your parties. Just throw killer parties and the people will come. Why would you want to share the girls with a house full of popped-collar, Hollister-wearing, drunke fools with insecurity problems? Okay, that was unfair. There's nothing wrong with being a drunken fool so long as you do it in moderation. Plus, I'm sure it's hard as hell to start a frat. My advice? If you're only doing this for the parties, make a bunch of guy friends and plan big parties together. You don't need a frat for that.

On the hunt for 400 Thunderhawk's Avatar
    ^What are you, a media shill? In college, I learned more as a member of a fraternity (about finance, public relations, giving back to the community, and having fun) than in class. Some fraternities are like that, yes, but that's the same as stereotyping a race of people for the actions of a few.

If you don't know anything about a certain topic, it's best not to slam the topic at hand and make yourself look stupid.

That aside, it's stupid to start a fraternity JUST for the parties. You really don't need to start a fraternity for parties; just have lots of music and liquor and it'll come together. Most fraternities are founded on a philanthropic ideal, and although the media always ignores that, many fraternities and sororities are REQUIRED to give back to the community a certain number of hours every semester. Never hear about that, do you?
    Last edited by Thunderhawk; 04-14-2006 at 10:17 AM.
    My hardest earned credit is The Legend at Holiday World, first ridden 5.19.2012, exactly 1399 days after my first visit to Holiday World.
    Next up: Off season. Boo.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFGAdv/Cedar Point/SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Ravine Flyer II, Outlaw Run, Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro @ SFNE, New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhawk
    ^What are you, a media shill? In college, I learned more as a member of a fraternity (about finance, public relations, giving back to the community, and having fun) than in class. Some fraternities are like that, yes, but that's the same as stereotyping a race of people for the actions of a few.

If you don't know anything about a certain topic, it's best not to slam the topic at hand and make yourself look stupid.

That aside, it's stupid to start a fraternity JUST for the parties. You really don't need to start a fraternity for parties; just have lots of music and liquor and it'll come together. Most fraternities are founded on a philanthropic ideal, and although the media always ignores that, many fraternities and sororities are REQUIRED to give back to the community a certain number of hours every semester. Never hear about that, do you?
    I was in a frat while in college, all we did was drink and pick up women. We would collect the pop can tabs off the beer cans we drank and donated it to the local hospital for some reason. We than would pose for a picture and put it in the paper. It was a joke!

Well, I am a proud brother of Lambda Chi Alpha. While I do agree that many fraternities are a bunch of drunken asses that only want to party all the time. Some aren't, every fraternity is different, and they all have different goals. Our Zeta (we call chapters "Zetas") at Towson University tries to balance partying, philantrophy, getting together and having fun while not drinking, and just drinking for fun. A good fraternity in my opinion is one that remembers that above all it's about brotherhood, and attaining a bond that you can't achieve any other way.

Tying it into the original subject. It's kind of shady what you're trying to do, it doens't work like it did in Old School. If you really want to join a fraternity, you could consider becoming an honorary initiate. I know that most fraternities don't do that, but Lambda Chi does at least. You just have to do a lot of hard work to help out the Zeta, and they'll consider putting you through Ritual and making you a full brother.

Hope that helps some, from a member of Greek Life.
    Last edited by coastergenius100; 04-14-2006 at 07:10 PM.
    I don't feel like manually adding my Track Record, so I'm just going to tell you it's 228.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: SROS@SFNE

Corkscrew Poster
    Nope, not a shill. Just an observer of fraternity behavior who came off stupid to you because what I said goes against your beliefs.

Blue and White Ignite! VekomahangNbang's Avatar
    When I saw this I thought of Old School too. All I got to say is it's definatley not that easy.
    GO MAGIC
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

I'm not a member of any frat as of now, but I'm thinking of pledging next semester. There are all sorts of fraternaties, some are like the drinking ones you metioned, but did you even think about the honor fraternaties? At my school at least, the community service and campus-wide events (no, not drinking related) that they do are amazing.

There are acedemic fraternities that honor students who excel in certain subjects, and there are co-ed service fraternities that exist for the sole purpose of community service. The original, and most well known fraternities are called social fraternities, those are the ones like Lambda Chi Alpha, TKE, and Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
    I don't feel like manually adding my Track Record, so I'm just going to tell you it's 228.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: SROS@SFNE

You say 'social fraternatiy.' I agree that the purpose is to hang out and party, but they are required to have so many 'campus-wide' (non-drinking, or drinking with ID) events per semester, as well as so many community service hours....at my school anyway

Quote Originally Posted by VekomahangNbang
    When I saw this I thought of Old School too. All I got to say is it's definatley not that easy.
    Like you know how to run one and all? lol. It might be cool to join one once i hit college.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P
    You say 'social fraternatiy.' I agree that the purpose is to hang out and party, but they are required to have so many 'campus-wide' (non-drinking, or drinking with ID) events per semester, as well as so many community service hours....at my school anyway

Well, I mean that's what they're officially called. Of coarse philantrophy is something that is required by every fraternity, like food drives, and adopt-a-road and all that stuff. So it's not like the ones that do it are the only ones.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStud
    I was in a frat while in college, all we did was drink and pick up women. We would collect the pop can tabs off the beer cans we drank and donated it to the local hospital for some reason. We than would pose for a picture and put it in the paper. It was a joke!
    Wait, you want to start one, but you were already in one when you were in college? This means you graduated. Sounds to me like you just want to take disadvantage of drunk women. Continue thinking like this and you'll become everyones favorite creepy old guy.

^If he isn't already...
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

^:LOL you are such a barrel of laughs, you must have all the women hanging all over your hideous looks and unatractive body.

Banned
    ^You must get the women because of your insecurities, am I right?

^:LOL you are such a barrel of laughs, you must have all the women hanging all over your hideous looks and unatractive body.
    Wow, I can't think of any group of people I hate more than frat boys and sorority girls. You know what becomes of frat boys? You all go nowhere in life and become fat and stuck in a dead-end job with a wife who is cheating on you. All because you were too busy to get anything out of life and instead getting "OMG TOTALLY WASTED!!!111" and being totally hip and awesome in high school and college and using girls as objects, ruining guy's reputation for the rest of us actual nice guys.

Thats right, I went there. Go to hell. You and every other stereotypical frat boy that ever walked this earth. Lets see you talk that sh!t in 20 years when you're fat, bald, and living in a trailor and having a mid-life crisis because you wasted your life to alcohol and you can't have sex because of all the STD's you obtained over the years.
    Last edited by Raptor; 04-16-2006 at 03:59 PM.
    ~ RAPTOR
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Mean Streak, Viper, Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200, Millennium Force, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), Montu, Expedition Everest, Raptor

^, sounds to me like you are holding a grudge. You probably liked a girl and she thought of you as a friend, while some frat guy was banging her and not caring anything about her, and she liked it!

Yeah, probably.

Actually, no. That didn't happen to me.. yet. And its that exact mentality that gives real people more incentive to hate you people even more.
    Last edited by Raptor; 04-16-2006 at 04:08 PM.
    ~ RAPTOR
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Mean Streak, Viper, Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200, Millennium Force, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), Montu, Expedition Everest, Raptor

I don't understand where all the hate towards fraternities come from. I'm in a fraternity, and I look at it as a club, one of several clubs I have joined while in college. You don't "pay your friends" as people love to claim, you pay for the events that you participate in. It costs money to hold socials, philanthropies, and brotherhood events like paintball, bowling, dinners, etc. There are some stereotypical meathead "let's get drunk all the time" guys in my fraternity, but they are definitely the minority. Popped collar, trendy frat guys do exist but why do you think that every single one is like that, and for what reason do you "hate" them? You really have a raging passionate hatred for people who join fraternities? I didn't join for the booze or the parties, I could do that on my own. I joined to make some friends, and while there are many people in my frat that I don't really like, I have made some friends here who will one day be at my wedding. It's cool if a fraternity is not for you, but to hate people who are in them just because they are in them is ridiculous.

Well, from my observation around campus, the frat guys here seem to be mostly trendy spoiled rich kids who think college is all "omg dude, let's get drunk and get laid!". Yes I know frats are required to do a certain amount of community service, but I'm pretty sure a lot of them only see that as a small price to pay so that they can continue to have a club for partying, getting wasted, and hooking up with sorority girls. They seem to all have the same mentality, and sometimes same personality. Same goes for sorority girls

Of course, I have met some cool frat guys and sorority girls who don't have the typical personality or preppyness. I don't necessarily hate frats, but they are kind of annoyingly typical.
    ^, sounds to me like you are holding a grudge. You probably liked a girl and she thought of you as a friend, while some frat guy was banging her and not caring anything about her, and she liked it!
    Exactly the mentality I'm talking about...
    Last edited by Riddler156; 04-16-2006 at 10:00 PM.

On the hunt for 400 Thunderhawk's Avatar
    Youngstud does not speak for all of us. Like any other organization, there are different types of people in any group.

Raptor...it sounds like you have personal issues. I did extremely well in college, and was an officer in my fraternity every term except for one, on top of all my other college activities.

The insinuation that fraternity members go nowhere in life is ridiculous. Do you know how many presidents have been members of fraternities? I garauntee it's more than you think. Do you know how many presidents of Fortune 500 companies are greek? Again, I'm sure it's more than you think.

Your close minded thinking is absurd. Get a life, and stop being prejudiced against others.

Presidents that were fraternity members:
    http://www2.davidson.edu/studentlife...Men(jun02).pdf

"85% of the Fortune 500 Executives, 80% of US Presidents since 1900, and 100% of Apollo 11 Astronauts...all joined a fraternity!"
    http://www.alphakappalambda.com/rush.html

Achieve nothing, indeed. Way to make yourself like intelligent and open-minded.
    Last edited by Thunderhawk; 04-16-2006 at 10:36 PM.
    My hardest earned credit is The Legend at Holiday World, first ridden 5.19.2012, exactly 1399 days after my first visit to Holiday World.
    Next up: Off season. Boo.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFGAdv/Cedar Point/SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Ravine Flyer II, Outlaw Run, Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro @ SFNE, New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler

i was the librairian in my frat even though we had no books,lol. It is a common fact that frat guys get laid more than non greeks. There are just more opportunities to hook up with random girls!

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    You know... I used to have the same stereotypes about frats. When I went to college, that was changed. Many of the frats were very helpful and charitable (except for GVSU's chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon -- later thrown off campus, and the Sigma Alpha Epsilons or the Sig Eps). I myself got asked to rush LXA and Theta Chi. I declined both simply cuz frat life isn't for me, even if they are good. Theta Chi had an excellent combined GPA, and really gave back to their community. They weren't stuck up, either. My chapter of LXA, on the other hand, was just a bit lazy sometimes. Though, it varies from campus to campus, chapter to chapter. Some are good, some just put a bad name on frats.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Yeah, all frats vary from chapter to chapter. The guys can be wild and crazy and cool at one, then at another school be a bunch of tools!

There's even the adults frats in a nearby community that do give back. I am proud of that aspect. In college though, my floor and I were convinced not to join frats. We weren't going to sell out and pay to have friends. It's cool that they do things to give back to the community, the bonding and networking must be great too. We were just cool though with being friends with one another and party together. The only thing my floor pledged was our own floor. We sprayed Pledge on the floor and slid around on our jeans and socks. Sucked when someone slipped and hurt their ankle. It was the cleanest floor though. When security walked by you could hear their sneakers squeak.

My sister is actually part of a co-ed Pharmacy fraternity @ Rutgers. Though she is my sister she is a brother to others.

My freshman year there were a few peeps I knew that did start a frat chapter. They are still growing strong @ TCNJ.
    Last edited by Leo C; 04-16-2006 at 10:59 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Banned
    you must have all the women hanging all over your hideous looks and unatractive body.
    Yeah and I can spell unattractive and don't have a shrunken penis from steriods. If you got a beef with me we could always discuss this over AIM, the door is open...
    Last edited by Matt M; 04-16-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Call it a hunch, but a thread that was started with a reference to a sub-par Will Farrell movie, and then continued with nothing but stereotypical comments might not warrant as much legitimacy as most of you have been giving it. My guess? YoungStud has something against fraternities, and instead of intelligently expressing that, he has to take a cowardly approach and personifying everything he hates about them behind the protection of a screen name.

There are people (from other countries) that say they hate Americans, because there are Americans that make a bad name for us. In the same way, there are fraternities that have done some awful things, and there have been movies that exaggerate stereotypes, and if you choose to buy into that--fine. Assuming that all fraternities fit that mold is pretty ignorant in my opinion, but each to his own.

And Raptor, a side note, I think this guy is just trying to mess with you. Relax...
    The College of William and Mary Class of 2009
    Delta Chi - ΔΧ
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disney World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Viper | Steel Roller Coaster: Raging Bull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast