Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Never been on roller coaster yet, need advice =)

Wooden Poster
    Inside the doughnut in Rock n Rollercoaster.
    You know what? I think you're better off forgetting everything, just don't think about it jump on, and if you're meant to be a coaster lover you'll love it, if not then you won't. Also if you do like it, it would be much apreciated for you to return to the forums and discuss coasters w/ us. It's always great to see a coaster enthusiast born, and then watch them grow.
    URC OUTCAST

VISIT GIG'S GADGET REVIEW IN THE MEDIA DISCUSSION.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Sixflags america | Wooden Roller Coaster: the roar | Steel Roller Coaster: Rock'n rollercoaster

Well said, giggity! Well said indeed!
    "why couldn't he have joined a mainstream religion like oprahism or voodoo?"

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Europe/Kings Dominion/Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Hurler (PKD) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force/Alpengeist/Griffon

I like the way Tasha has gotten all us TN members together talking abot a topic like this, thanks Tash. Have fun, and be sure to tell us what you think of the coasters. When are you going?
    I bet after this you'll be back on here as a coaster enthusiast, =)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by April_fool_79
    And BTW Mav ... Not *ALL* of us replying have been guys.
    Well in that case

Tash, if you have your seatbelt on and your harness is locked you'll be fine.
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

I hope you'll love it and be back as an enthusiast, as siestakey says.
    "why couldn't he have joined a mainstream religion like oprahism or voodoo?"

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Europe/Kings Dominion/Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Hurler (PKD) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force/Alpengeist/Griffon

Like everyone else says, just jump of the cliff...
    I'm going to try my best to try and light an old flame...

Jr. Poster
    Sit in the middle, then back, then front.
    Big Bad Wolf ride count 2006: 4

BGE 2007!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Rebel Yell | Steel Roller Coaster: Alpengeist

Quote Originally Posted by jonfin826
    Sit in the middle, then back, then front.
    I disagree. I think the front is a good seat to start in because you can see what's coming better and won't get easily suprised. It seems like the people who are afraid to sit in the front on rides, are the people who never have. If someone's first ever ride on a coaster is the front seat, they will love it though. Also, most rides are less intense in the front, g-force wise.

Less intense in the front? You're crazy. The front row and the back row (with certain exceptions, usually in multi-row cars with heavy axle vibrations in certain rows) are the most dynamic. The front enters elements faster and the back exits the elements faster. The middle of the train gives the average ride. With the front seat, not only do you have one set of the two extremes on the train, but you have the wind factor as well to heighten the intensity.
    I've been real all my life, they confuse it with conceit
    Since I will not lose, they try to help him cheat
    But I will not lose, for even in defeat
    There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens it up for me
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal Studios Hollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro

I still think on a ride as tame as the ones at PCW, that the front is the best choice even for a n00b. It's not like she's going on intense coasters like Batman the Ride, or Kingda Ka!

Front is best I think for beginners. Although I did not start in the front. I'm not even sure when I had my first front seat ride, but I wasn't particularly afraid of it. I think that at the time I just didn't realize it was so different.

Particularly on a Vekoma SLC the front seat is SO different...
    I'm not active on this forum anymore.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Walibi World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Robin Hood - Walibi World | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath - Walibi World

Sorry but Batman the ride isnt intense !

Remember shes a first timer and the coasters at PCW might look intense to her

Quote Originally Posted by Worm
    Remember shes a first timer and the coasters at PCW might look intense to her
    As long as she listens to the person who happens to be the most knowledgeable in the world of coasters (me, of course) she will be fine. Avoid the wooden coasters as there is no denying that they are dangerous and you will have a good time!

^If you were the most knowledgeable in the world about coasters, you should be the one to know that woodies are still coasters and that they are also safe.

I'd actually recommend one of the woodies near the front. The front is somewhat a smoother ride on PCWs woodies. As well, they have seatbelts that will get you even more comfortable. But of course there is still IJST...with lap bars and...doors?

Might I also recommend looking up the parks thrill levels. Maybe that can help you choose your first coaster/ride (most 'moderate' rides are 3 and 4).
    Last edited by Pcw; 04-27-2006 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vampiredabest
    ...Avoid the wooden coasters as there is no denying that they are dangerous...
    You idiot.
    You are going to frighten her into never riding any woodie anywhere.
    How exactly are they not safe?

Just cuase their rough doesn't mean that they are not safe, vampiredabest.

They might feel unsafe and that is as ar as it goes.

Leave vampire the troll alone. Hopefully tasha knows that he's just trying to scare her and ignores his horrible tries. The more we attack him for being a jerk, the more he's going to feed into the thread.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal Studios Hollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro

what you want to do is since you are a first time rider is start on the smallest coaster and go from there.my cousin did that wth me and it got me use to the height and the way the coasters work.so dont be scared of them.they are safe.what i do is double check the belts and bars to make sure they are ok.it makes it more at ease for the first time rider.

Minetrain Poster -American Viper's Avatar
    I hadn't ridden many coaster before last year, so I remember being scared. Just pull the restraint down and scream as you go down the lift. I would start with a wooden coaster and work my way up. If the park has a coaster like a wild mouse, I would also start with that.
    Take life one lift hill at a time
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Hades | Steel Roller Coaster: Raging Bull

Actually, statistically, most accidents are a result of ride malfunction, and not rider error. However, accidents are freakishly and rediculously rare. You have a far better chance of winning the lottery than dying on a roller coaster. There are usually 4-5 deaths a year give or take, and a few more injuries, and millions and millions of geusts enter amusement parks. You are riding on a set track, with a set intention, you are restrained, you are safe.

On a different note, we would all love to be your position. The early thrills are always the best. I've been on so many coasters, so many themed rides, that I just don't get scared anymore. I enjoy them, but there's no fear involved anymore. I would love to be able to be scared, but it's just not going to happen anymore. Cherish the new excitement and fear, because it won't last for very long, if you ride as much as we do.
    I don't feel like manually adding my Track Record, so I'm just going to tell you it's 228.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: SROS@SFNE

Quote Originally Posted by vampiredabest
    Sorry but Batman the ride isnt intense !
    For a first coaster it kind of is. It was my first 'big' coaster. I loved it, but it was kind of intense. Not anymore to me, maybe to others though, after Ka, nothing is intense. lol
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka

Roller coasters are designed to kill you. Stay out of the lines.
    Asia: four little letters, four billion little people.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Xcelerator

Wooden Poster
    Just start riding on the small coasters,first,then work your way to the big coasters. I did that with my niece one day at SFA a couple of years ago. We started on The Great Chase,and before I know it,we were riding The Wild One and Roar(but she hasn't got on Superman YET). And,also,take your time,don't rush!!!

^^You really are posessed by the devil aren't you? Nice one.

Tasha, If I can give you advice, it would be to ride Vortex first. My first roller coaster was a very similar ride, Big Bad Wolf. I was probably 6 years old, and I had no idea what Iwas getting into. It was going up the lift, and I was a bit nervous at first, but one good thing about thoe types of rides is that you don't go too high, and you can't really see how high up you are anway if you are anywhere but the front. then, the ride doesn't really have much drops, just downward and upward curves. Not only is it not scary, but it is fun. I ended up loving the ride, and wanting to go again all day. I didn't even care about the other rides. I tihnk if you go on a small coaster, one that is classified for families, it won't help. You feel very low to the ground, and the main fear is height. To me there is no graduation from smaller rides, they're more like warm up. Do Vortex first, insist on it, and you will love it. it doesn't go upside down, and it has over the shoulder restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by siestakey
    For a first coaster it kind of is. It was my first 'big' coaster. I loved it, but it was kind of intense. Not anymore to me, maybe to others though, after Ka, nothing is intense. lol
    I still find BTR very intense, especially on a hot day. It's a face-pulling, feet-tingling G Force extravaganza on a hot day in the front seat. Amazing coaster with a great, tight layout. I still love it.

UEO Naval Academy April_fool_79's Avatar
    Traded the roar of coasters for the roar of STOCK CARS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by coastergenius100
    Actually, statistically, most accidents are a result of ride malfunction, and not rider error.
    No, they are not. Rider error is the major cause of ride injuries. We've been through this.

And vampire, if I ever meet you in person, remind me to slap you. I'd be more than happy to go head-to-head with you to see who's more knowledgeable about roller coasters. In fact, I'd be happy to put my 4 year old neice up against you to prove you're not the most knowledgeable person in the world in regards to roller coasters.
    ,.-~*`*~-.- April Fool -,.-~*`*~-.
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here
    What can I say, I come from race cars and pop rocks
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: Grizzly | Steel Roller Coaster: X

^^Word

I don't like the feet tingling that I experience at the tops of Alpie's first 4 inversions, or after B:TR's second loop. It's a reason that Silver Bullet was fun as a relaxing ride sort of.

That's why forcefulness isn't necessary on rides for them to be fun. Just pick the ride that looks appealing to you, and ride it. I do very very strongly suggest Vortex though.

Quote Originally Posted by April_fool_79
    No, they are not. Rider error is the major cause of ride injuries. We've been through this.

And vampire, if I ever meet you in person, remind me to slap you. I'd be more than happy to go head-to-head with you to see who's more knowledgeable about roller coasters. In fact, I'd be happy to put my 4 year old neice up against you to prove you're not the most knowledgeable person in the world in regards to roller coasters.
    Who knew it would take a newbie to bring out some people's true colors. I don't see how a real coaster enthusiast can try and scare someone off of roller coasters by saying stuff that everyone knows is false. Lines at amusement parks haven't bothered me that much to try and scare the world away from them.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast