1 1.37%
  • Manhattan Express

2 2.74%
  • Ninja @ SFOG

7 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Worst roller coaster

I didn't have any problems with Villain. I was pleasantly surprised given my previous experiences with G-Train woodies before beating me up pretty badly. It didn't have much airtime or forces in general going for it so it definitely wasn't one of the better woodies I have ever been on, but I thought it was decent.

Of the (thankfully) defunct rides I still go with Viper @ SFGAdv; of the rides still operating I have to go with Shockwave @ KD. Its a shame that ride is still standing when the much better King Cobra was taken down at KI.

Fisher of Couches LP_Reanimator's Avatar
    Honestly, Great American Scream Machine at SFOG. That first drop is some of the most pain I've ever experienced on a ride.
    .sdrawkcab daer nac uoy, siht daer nac uoy fI
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Over Georgia | Wooden Roller Coaster: Swamp Fox at Family Kingdom in Myrtle Beach | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Gun: The Jet Coaster at PC

I voted Mantis simply because compared to Scorcher it's rough and just didn't pack as much of a punch. That and it's pretty much Chang which I disliked for the same reason. I've been on Mean Streak but I barely remember it. All I remember from that was it started down pouring halfway up the lift so the only pain I noticed was pelting raindrops. As far as Ninja, I LOVE Ninja. I think there are way rougher rides out there and seeing how it's Vekoma, it really just is part of the ride.

Wow, out of all the roller coasters out there, I would have never even placed Mantis or Chang among the worst. But we all have our preferences too. I used to love Ninja too, but age has not done it well at all. Regardless, none of those coasters come even remotely close to as bad as Colossus is.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I could only go by what I've ridden and what was on the list. There are only four coasters on there I've experienced. I'm sure Son Of Beast would have been worse. In my opinion any Vekoma SLC is the worst. I've been on three and I loathe each of them.

its not on the list, but the one coaster that made me sick aka speedrunner at hershey

You mean Storm Runner? Just because it makes you sick doesn't make it the worst roller coaster. :-)
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

On the hunt for 400 Thunderhawk's Avatar
    I'm going to throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned yet. Chance Toboggans. I saw two over labor day weekend, the defunct one at Conneaut Lake Park and the semi-operational one at Lakemont Park (it was closed when I arrived but reopened an hour or two later).

As I sat in the car? train? with the top open I looked the attendant in the eye and said "Can this ride be described as spine-shattering?" He laughed and said "watch out for the drop at the end". To be honest it wasn't brutally rough, but it was an unsettling experience to be sitting directly on the floor on such tight turns and drops. This ride also definetely wins the "scariest lift ever" award, which I had previously awarded to the Cyclone at Williams Grove. For those of you who have not had a chance to ride one of these rare treasures, it's a vertical lift in an enclosed tube. It is extremely loud. There is a ladder welded into the side of the tube next to the track. I was really curious as to how I would actually get out of the ride if it were to break down, as you're staring straight up toward the sky. I am guessing it would take a much more limber and lithe individual to safely get out of the car and onto that ladder.
    Last edited by Thunderhawk; 01-15-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    My hardest earned credit is The Legend at Holiday World, first ridden 5.19.2012, exactly 1399 days after my first visit to Holiday World.
    Next up: Off season. Boo.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFGAdv/Cedar Point/SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Ravine Flyer II, Outlaw Run, Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro @ SFNE, New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    Mean Streak wins for me. Aesthetically, it's one of the most beautiful coasters I've ever seen. Riding it has either been brutally rough or it was boring, almost to the point of putting me to sleep. And I'm not a wuss like some when it comes to roughness. I love old Arrow coasters and Vekoma SLC's.

Of the other ones on the list that I've ridden:

Mantis- depends entirely on the condition of the wheels on the train. You can tell before you get on by the sound. If it makes a loud whining whoosh as the trains go by- the wheels are new, and you'l get a decent (not great) ride. Without that loud whining whoosh- don't ride it if you ever plan to father any children.

Halfasster transport- Yawn. Enough said. They need to to either seriously revamp the theming or bulldoze this thing. If they were to turn off the AC in the bldg, nobody would ever ride it.

SOB- every time I've been to KI since it was built, it's either been SBNO, or it was running off and on during the day, and every time I saw it running, it went back down before I could get to it. I'm really ticked about that, As much as everyone whines about it, I wanted to see if there was merit to the crying.

Raging Wolf Bobs. I went to GL once. Before we worked our way back to RWB, it gave its' last ride ever.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

I never found Mean Streak to be very rough at all. I mean it had that wooden coaster roughness to it, but overall pretty tolerable. My main complaint is that it just is a boring coaster. Too many trims on it that I feel like falling asleep on that thing. Everytime you pick up speed, it seemed like trims were firing. Oh and another nod to a bad coaster. It isn't the worst, but a disgrace for a hyper and that would be Steel Force(less) at Dorney. I have never been so disappointed with a 200 foot coaster until I rode that thing. It rates worse than Magnum XL-200 in my book and most people KNOW my distain for Magnum too.
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I think the tube in the Toboggans are pretty cool. i got three of them: Trimper's OCMD, Lakemont, and at Little Ammericka in Wisconsin. The vertical moment reminds me of Mystery Mine. I really wish I got Ultra Twister and its original vertical lift. I was not even a teen though when it was at SFGADV. I probably wouldn't have been tall enough to get on the ride then. The hills at the bottom of the Toboggan are the worst moment of the ride.

From time to time the Cedar Creek Mine Ride comes to my memory. After riding Runaway Mine Train and Trailblazer I believe it was the first older multi lift Arrow Mine train I came upon. It was the first coaster I discovered how primitive the early Arrow coasters were. Should I put Goldrusher at SFMM on the list too since a huge concrete and steel structure of Superman looms over half of the ride?

Psyclone with the very obvious trim brake that I think even made the train hang has to still be in my consideration. I hate trims on first drops so Hercules is up there too on my hate list.
    Last edited by Leo C; 01-16-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F View Post
    SOB- every time I've been to KI since it was built, it's either been SBNO, or it was running off and on during the day, and every time I saw it running, it went back down before I could get to it. I'm really ticked about that, As much as everyone whines about it, I wanted to see if there was merit to the crying.
    Brian, I rode Son of Beast several times during my visit in 2005 under the original configuration (premier trains and loop) and also in the 2008 configuration (Gerstlauer trains and straightaway). This is the most painful ride I have ever ridden. If you go back through my posts you'll notice a trend; I rarely complain about any ride in the roughness category that doesn't hit my head. This is why I hate SLCs. Rides that smack my head over and over again give me headaches and tend to ruin my day and possibly several days of my coaster trips. But I digress.

After my first ride on Son of Beast in 2005, I walked off the ride, made it out of the station, and sat down on the concrete to recover. Up until that point I had NEVER gotten off a ride feeling sick. I was nauseous. The ride was that rough. It is like riding a jackhammer up and down mountains. I will be totally honest and say that the first drop is amazing, but as soon as you enter that first helix, game over. It just shakes you so much it is absurd. I've never experienced anything like it. The loop was the best part of the ride.

When I went back in 2008, I was expecting a slightly smoother ride. It must have been because I did not feel sick after I got off the ride. However, it was still brutally rough and an all around unpleasant experience as soon as you get done the first drop. I personally don't believe there is any point to trying to save this ride. Obviously the track is in bad shape, either from design or the original heavy premier trains, but it doesn't matter. Even if you fix the track bed, you still have a fairly uninspired layout to deal with.

SOB is the worst roller coaster ever built when you factor in the price, the hype, and the final product.
    Last edited by Thunderhawk; 01-16-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    My hardest earned credit is The Legend at Holiday World, first ridden 5.19.2012, exactly 1399 days after my first visit to Holiday World.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFGAdv/Cedar Point/SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Ravine Flyer II, Outlaw Run, Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro @ SFNE, New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler

That first helix is exactly like that. It's like a tumbler.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I remember riding Ninja at SFOG when I was a kid and I hated it because of the OTSR. I think that it is a great coaster, and maybe if they replaced the old trains with those new ones (I can't remember who makes them) the experience would be much better.

Oh I forgot to mention mind eraser at SFNE. I remember telling my gf that I would ride it but that it was Vekoma so watch out. I was right...talk about a headache.

Admin edit: Please try to not double post. There is an edit post button where you can go back and add pertinent information after the fact. Thanks!

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    I never found Mean Streak to be very rough at all. I mean it had that wooden coaster roughness to it, but overall pretty tolerable. My main complaint is that it just is a boring coaster. Too many trims on it that I feel like falling asleep on that thing. Everytime you pick up speed, it seemed like trims were firing. Oh and another nod to a bad coaster. It isn't the worst, but a disgrace for a hyper and that would be Steel Force(less) at Dorney. I have never been so disappointed with a 200 foot coaster until I rode that thing. It rates worse than Magnum XL-200 in my book and most people KNOW my distain for Magnum too.
    Most of my rides on Mean Streak were exactly as you described- boring. But the first ride I took- middle of Summer, so hot that the fire hydrants were chasing the dogs, and I rode it in the back seat. THAT ride was out and out brutal.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

I voted for Mantis. That ride hurts my crotch.

For me I would have to say just about any Arrow with more than 3 loops. I know Ninja is on the list, but last time I went to SFOG I just looked at it and knew there was no way I would even attempt it . I am suprised Steel Phantom is not on the list, the first time I rode it I could not walk straight for 2 hours.

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    Hah I just noticed how many of these rides are closed now...

Son of Beast 15 27.27%
    Viper @ SFGADV 9 16.36%
    Hercules 4 7.27%
    Psyclone @ SFMM 7 12.73%
    Raging Wolf Bobs 6 10.91%
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

T2 is also closed. Terror-squared indeed.

Pretend Manhattan Express is gone too. The Rollercoaster, its current name, is to be closed for scheduled rehab.

It should be instead closed for demolition....

Hats for (Carousel)Horses Racer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arcarver1986 View Post
    I remember riding Ninja at SFOG when I was a kid and I hated it because of the OTSR. I think that it is a great coaster, and maybe if they replaced the old trains with those new ones (I can't remember who makes them) the experience would be much better.
    The trains have been replaced. We now have the 3 GASM trains from SFGADV. The GASM trains make the ride slightly better.
    ThrillNetwork SpeedZone Editor and unofficial DB Editor
    Please stand with your feet flat on the... stand up.. no- why are you sitting??? STAND UP ON THE GEORGIA SCORCHER!!!
    2014 Coaster Draft: Leviathan, Banshee, Alpengeist, Aftershock, GoldStriker, DareDevilDive, GeorgiaScorcher, Tatsu, SheiKra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath(SFOG)

Yeah! Jersey! So they're still all red, white, and blue and just slightly cleaned up?

Jr. Poster
    The ninja at six flags st.Louis ranks rite at the bottom of my list.

Hats for (Carousel)Horses Racer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo C View Post
    Yeah! Jersey! So they're still all red, white, and blue and just slightly cleaned up?
    The white train still has the advertisement wrap on it. They ran the blue train in 2011 and it looked out of place, so they wrapped the remaining Ninja train in advertisements and late in the season we received the red and white trains.
    ThrillNetwork SpeedZone Editor and unofficial DB Editor
    Please stand with your feet flat on the... stand up.. no- why are you sitting??? STAND UP ON THE GEORGIA SCORCHER!!!
    2014 Coaster Draft: Leviathan, Banshee, Alpengeist, Aftershock, GoldStriker, DareDevilDive, GeorgiaScorcher, Tatsu, SheiKra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath(SFOG)

Minetrain Poster
    Son of Beast was that bad? lol dang
    I never rode Psyclone but I heard it was awful. I'm glad I didn't but I wish I would have at the same time

Teh Band
    I think on that lsit has to be Mean Streak. Great looking ride, but just a crapy crappy ride. Tear it down and put a GCI.....

T2 has to be the most painful ride I've ever been on.

Even more than SOB when it was still running the original trains.

T2 is like a SLC designed by Jigsaw from Saw.

Last time I rode Mean Streak was the year Maverick opened, and it wasn't painful anymore it was just blah. No air, no nothing. Not really rough anymore, just not fun.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Minetrain Poster
    Last time I rode Revolution and SFMM I almost cried, it's pretty bad...

Teh Band
    Its sucks when it feels that it stops going down the 1st hill, MS

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast