Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Season Jobs

2007 Season Jobs

I'm just wondering who is applying for jobs for the 2007 season, and if so, where are you applying?

I'm still debating going back to work at a park in 07. I'd really like to, but I'm not sure that scheduling will allow it. One thing is for sure, if I do go back it will only be for May-August. My role with the travel agency has changed slightly since I started and it may allow me to only work September - April because more than 80% of my business is now student travel and I now work out of a campus office. I'm doing well enough that I don't have to work at all during the summer if I don't want to, but I really missed working at a park this year and I'd definately like to go back if I have the chance.

If I do work for a park, I'd really like to go back to Cedar Point, but only if they will bring me back to merchandise as a team leader. It'll be really interesting to see what Cedar Point does with hours and pay rates since the minimum wage increases 20% in Ohio effective January 1 thanks to issue 2. If they increase everything by $1.70, which is the increase in the minimum wage, base rate employees would be at $8.95/hr. including bonus and TLs would be at $9.05/hr. including bonus.

Disney is also looking appealing at this point thanks to their new $1000 new hire bonus if you stay 60 days in certain roles, even if their hourly wages are only in the $7.00-8.00 range for base rate employees. At least they pay overtime...

I'm thinking about applying at Adventureland. I won't be able to ride op until 2008, but I could always take tickets.

My first choice will be Cedar Point for 2007 in either Rides or Merchandise if the pay raise is legit and not compensated for by a decrease in the amount of the bonus, or an increase in the cost of living in the employee accomodations.
    $6.85 (+$1 bonus and .1 TL raise) would make my seasonal wage $7.95 if the contract is fullfilled.
    As a back up, I will also be applying for SFGAM Ride Operations.
    Last edited by Marcus; 11-24-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '07 Area Supervisor, Merch, Cedar Point '06 Ride Operator, Batman:TR, SFGAM
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Minetrain Poster
    I will be returning back to Paramounts Carowinds for my 3rd season in rides and hopfully be promoted to TL when I turn 18 in July. I think we all agree and hope that pay will increase at all of our parks.

I'll be applying for a job at PCW, most likely Admissions Attendant. If not for some reason, my next choice is ecologist (...yes, I'd pick up garbage...)

Minetrain Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by WildeFyre View Post
    PCW isn't that bad, this past season ride ops were making $8.25/hr, which went up from $8/hr the season before.

I make $9/hr as a barback, so unless the wage goes up to at least $8.50 I dont think I'll switch jobs.
    Wow, you guys make a preety good more than you sister park down south but isnt Canada and American pay different? At PC, Rides starts at 6.50 for 18 and younger but 18+ makes 6.75, but I believe TL make 7.75. We also receive an incentive of .50 cents more for weekend operations which would make 7.00 or 7.25 depending on your age.

Minimum wage in Ontario (where PCW's located) is currently $7.75, going up to $8.00 in February 07 for those 18 and over. For students, I believe its $7.25.

I'll probably be going back to my job at my local park. It really is a great job.

I guess Cedar Point mailed out letters with bonus checks from last year encouraging people to apply in December. The first 100 applicants get a free Maverick t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by CeDaRPoInTzTeR View Post
    My first choice will be Cedar Point for 2007 in either Rides or Merchandise if the pay raise is legit and not compensated for by a decrease in the amount of the bonus, or an increase in the cost of living in the employee accomodations.
    $6.85 (+$1 bonus and .1 TL raise) would make my seasonal wage $7.95 if the contract is fullfilled.
    So how as SFGAM compared to Cedar Point? How did things work as far as living arrangements and pay? I'm thinking I might apply there next year as well just as a back up to Cedar Point. I'm going to have a really hard time deciding, especially if Cedar Point doesn't bring me back into a leadership position like they offered me this year.

I left to go work for a travel agency, which has much better pay, but now that I am working mainly in student travel, I don't really have to work during the summers. This year I was brought back by one of my former employers as an interim store manager while the regular manager was out on leave for health reasons. It would be really hard for me to justify going from being a branch manager for the travel agency and a retail store manager for a major children's shoe retailer to being a red tag again.

I'll probably talk to my previous manager at Cedar Point and maybe apply at Six Flags and Disney and see what happens...

Yeah I'll definitely will be going back to Cedar Point next year. I put in my Leadership Application so hopefully that works out come January.
    http://www.xtremecoastin.com - Step Into The World Of Xtreme! Check us out.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lightning Racer | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka (when it opens)

Well I can't actually give my full opinion on the different companies on "High-Traffic Amusement Park Internet Websites", since I had to sign an agreement to confidentially. Also exposing some of the companies weaknesses could damage my reference, so I can strictly only give the unbiased observations of what I see as true. You always hear the phrase, "The people that know, don't tell." well believe me, they want to tell, but they can't. I was warned, I didn't listen, I learned from it.

Also the information I give is from the years I have worked and experienced, it could change for 2007.(Cedar Point could raise it's pay for next year, and Disney raised their pay to $6.40 for 2006.)

Pay (Mine personally):
    Cedar Point- $6.25, +.1 TL raise, +$1bonus= $7.35
    Six Flags- $7.00(rideop only) +overtime for more than 40 hours
    Disney- $6.25 +overtime for more than 40hours a week, or 8 a day

Housing:
    Cedar Point Onsite
    Location- On the peninsula, within the park
    Cost a week- $16.80
    Time from housing to work- 1-5minutes
    Number of Roommates- 1-3
    Addition space other than bedroom- none(community showers)
    A/C-None
    International population- High
    Ease of making friends- Average
    Noise Level- Average to High during park hours, Average at night
    Privacy- Average
    Other Activities in Housing Area- Rec Room at Commons with pool tables, ping pong, weight area, couches with TV, jukebox, food and beverages, limited internet access (around 20mins per session with 10 computers)

Cedar Point Bayside-
    Location- Otherside of causeway, in Bayside complex
    Cost a week- $24
    Time from housing to work- 10-15minutes, traffic permitting
    Number of Roommates- 3-5 per apartment, 1-3 per room
    Addition space other than bedroom- living area with couches, kitchen, bathroom w/shower
    A/C-Only in living area
    International population- Varies, mostly low
    Ease of making friends- Average to Somewhat Easy
    Noise Level- Low
    Privacy- Average
    Other Activities in Housing Area- Rec Room at Commons with pool tables, ping pong, weight area, couches with TV, jukebox, food and beverages, limited internet access (around 20mins per session with 10 computers).

Cedar Point Apartment-
    Location- Otherside of causeway, in Commons
    Cost a week- $24
    Number of Roommates- 1-15 per apartment, 1-3 per room
    Addition space other than bedroom- living area, small kitchen, 2 bathrooms w/shower
    A/C-Only in living area
    Ease of making friends- Easy
    Noise Level- High
    Privacy- Somewhat low
    Other Activities in Housing Area- Rec Room with pool tables, ping pong, weight area, couches with TV, jukebox, food and beverages, limited internet access (around 20mins per session with 10 computers)

Cedar Point Dorm-
    Location- Otherside of causeway, in Commons
    Cost a week- $31.20
    Number of Roommates- 1-3 in room
    Addition space other than bedroom- none, lockers for personal items
    A/C-Yes
    Ease of making friends- Average to Somewhat Easy
    Noise Level- Average
    Privacy- Very low
    Other Activities in Housing Area- Rec Room with pool tables, ping pong, weight area, couches with TV, jukebox, food and beverages, limited internet access (around 20mins per session with 10 computers)

Six Flags-
    Location- Carthage College under 21, or UofWisconsin-Parkside over 21
    Cost a week- $60
    Time from housing to work- 45-50minutes, traffic permitting
    Number of Roommates- 0-1 in room
    Addition space other than bedroom- none, community bathroom
    A/C-No
    International population- Very High
    Ease of making friends- Hard
    Noise Level- Low
    Privacy- Somewhat High
    Other Activities in Housing Area- olympic indoor pool, jacuzzi, weight room, basketball courts, swash courts, football field, rec room with pool tables, laundry rooms, church(Protestant?), library with full internet access.

Disney (Chatham Square)-
    Location- Lake Buena Vista off I-4
    Cost a week- $82ish
    Time from housing to work- 5-30minutes, varies pending location
    Number of Roomates- 1-7 per apartment, 0-1 a room
    Addition space other than bedroom- Living area with couches, cable hook up for internet and tv, kitchen with appliances including microwave, fridge, and dishwasher, also a balcony or porch on some rooms, 2 bathrooms each with shower, 2-4 closets shared by roommates.
    A/C-Yes
    International population- Low
    Ease of making friends- Easy
    Noise Level- Somewhat low
    Privacy- Somewhat High
    Other Activities in Housing Area- Outdoor Pool, Weight room, Tennis Courts, building with internet access, ping pong, volleyball, Mickey's Retreat.

If you have any additional questions on pay or housing just ask, I can also posts info on any other questions or needed comparisons.

Also if anyone is curious, I have a little slideshow on myspace of pictures of co-workers and myself, working at Six Flags and Disney. Though I haven't updated it in forever, and sometimes the website collapses in on itself. www.myspace.com/sharkus59
    Last edited by Marcus; 11-28-2006 at 01:19 AM.
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

i'll be back at kennywood for my 4th and final season at the skycoaster/racer/paddle boats. our minimum wage is goin up too. i dont know what they will be payin us now.
    Kennywood Team Member 2004 Kiddieland
    2005 Racer/Jack Rabbit Crew
    2006 Racer/Skycoaster/Paddle Boats Crew
    2007 Thunderbolt/Turtle/Gold Rusher Crew
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Phantom's Revenge

Just an FYI from a friend who starts at Disney in January.

Effective January 1, Disney is raising college program wages from $6.40/hr. to $6.67 per hour.

I am also returning to Disney in January, though I may not be at Tower of Terror.
    ~ RAPTOR
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Mean Streak, Viper, Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200, Millennium Force, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), Montu, Expedition Everest, Raptor

Fixing What You Broke Kyle Rehm's Avatar
    I'll most likely be back at SFGAM as Ride Maintenance. Pay should be around $9-10/hr plus OT.
    Kyle Rehm
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Viper (SFGAm) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I'll be back at Kennywood for my 4th and hopefully last season. skycoaster/racer/paddle boats is where i'll be.
    Kennywood Team Member 2004 Kiddieland
    2005 Racer/Jack Rabbit Crew
    2006 Racer/Skycoaster/Paddle Boats Crew
    2007 Thunderbolt/Turtle/Gold Rusher Crew
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Phantom's Revenge

Loayal to my own home town. MaGnUmKeLly's Avatar
    I woudnt mind going down to disney again. I like to get into the emt down there after i am finished wish school.

That or go to cedar point. I do not really want to head back there again in rides. 7 years is enough for me i hope. I lost a good guy cause of the drama and just the crap i went thru.
    THE OHIO STATE UNIV SUGAR BOWL CAMPS!!!!!!. .
    Here we go Brownies Here we go Woof Woof SCREW PISSBURG!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast At Night..., Jack Rabbit Kennywood | Steel Roller Coaster: MAGNUM XL 200 THE BEST OUT THERE...MAGNUM RIDE OPS RULE....HOOOLLLDDD

More than likely I'll be going to Cedar Point. Either in rides or Admissions. More than likely it'll be admissions, since I did so well, and I really enjoyed it. I may go back to Geauga Lake, if they decide to promote me to ATL. I'm not expecting a TL spot, because I don't think I deserve that yet, but ATL I definately do deserve. After being in charge of all the rides in my zone at one point in time, and being 3rd in charge *unofficially* for 2 years...yeah
    Xtreme Coaster Enthusiast
    Finding my way in the world, and riding some awesome coasters while I'm at it!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Waldameer, Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead, Ravine Flyer II, Colossus, Raging Wolf Bobs | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback, Maverick, Magnum

I have applied back to Geauga Lake and Wildwater Kingdom... I was on Dominator crew last year (or so my signature says ) I really liked working that darn B&M... I'm not quite sure what the pay raise is going to be as Ohio has uped minimum wage...
    http://www.EncoreArrangements.com
    2008 - (CP) Iron Dragon Crew
    2007 - (GL) Rocket Sled Ride ATL
    2006 - (GL) Dominator Crew
    Favorites: | Wooden Roller Coaster: Lakeside Cyclone | Steel Roller Coaster: Dominator

Cedar Fair has told returning Cedar Point employees that they will get $6.85/hr. plus bonus for 2007. They don't say what the bonus will be though. What is interesting though is Ohio House Bill 690, which was just passed by the House a few weeks ago. It is providing exemptions for home healthcare workers, agricultural workers, and AMUSEMENT PARK EMPLOYEES. Under the bill, those workers will not receive the new minimum wage standard, but instead revert to the federal minimum wage of $5.15/hr. What this means is that Cedar Fair still has the option to pay new employees less than $6.85. Although I doubt they would do it, they do have the option to pay less than $6.85, and I can see them possibly doing it for certain employees, such as "light green tags", those that are under the age of 16.

Quote Originally Posted by CeDaRPoInTzTeR View Post
    How do you work at so many different parks? Do you relocate for the parks?

To address the topic, I think my theme park days are over. I worked at SFFT as a Team lead in the Rides Department from January 2004 until August 2006. I left SFFT for college and well... other behind-the-scenes political stuff. Anyhow, I had my fun, but I think I'll just have fun in college now instead of driving an hour to get to work from where my University is. Besides, I doubt I'd get my job back. Heh.
    Last edited by Coasterholic; 12-25-2006 at 02:38 AM. Reason: I forgot to address the topic. It's late. Sorry.

I'm actually part of an exclusive group of ride operators called the Elite Ride Operators World Organization(EROWO). This association recognizes only the best of best ride operators in the world and uses them to support the demand in the amusement park industry. The Amusement Parks pay EROWO who then pays me, and I get shipped to several different amusement park locations depending on where I'm most needed. Sometimes I work at several different amusement parks a year. The EROWO training is very intense, similar to a Topgun, where we develop strategies and practice in-station simulations for emergency situations. I'm currently ranked 7th in the Associated Parks polls for best ride operator in the world.

Last year, my company relocated me on a 2 hour flight from the Sandusky Airport to Chicago Midway after a YouTube video was released to EROWO, showing the desperate help needed on B:TR at SFGAM due to a significant decrease in the overall intelligence of their general public riders(And they offered more money that CP). This video was originally supposed to be removed from the records, yet I found a copy. As elite ride ops we are trained everyday for this moment, but still when it happens, you can't prepare you're self for the disgusting nonsense, considered a ride ops worst nightmare. Watch in horror as we see a potential Batman rider, very confused and afraid. Notice he is hysterical, participates in unrecommended limb motions as well as head-bobbing and seat-humping/shifting, and incorrectly fastens his seatbelt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HotxdpRAZbw

Lol no, I'm just joking, but seriously.
    Parks offer employee housing, which allows me to travel to different locations and work for different companies. I just like to keep my options open and try new things. No big thing, anyone could do it.
    Last edited by Marcus; 12-31-2006 at 05:08 AM.

Wow. That's devotion! lol Well whatever works!

The Good News- Applications for the 2007 season are now available for Cedar Point
    The Bad News- We'll probably be working for less than minimum wage.
    http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS24/701030436

The Electronics Guru
    They already announced the base rate at $6.85. If they lower it from there, they will piss off a lot of people and lose employees.

Minetrain Poster
    I'm going to shoot for Six Flags in Georgia this season.
    -Blaq Mamba-
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Paramount's Kings Dominion | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Flight of Fear

Well, I filled out an application to be a merchandise supervisor at King's Island for the 2007 season. Its a long shot since I've never worked in the park before, but I do have retail management experience, including managing two children's shoe stores in Toledo. I did it more to see if they would actually offer me that job than just to get my foot in the door. Unfortunately PKI does not have housing, so I'll have to get an apartment with a friend to actually work there.

I'm also still debating about Cedar Point for 2007. I've pretty much decided I'm going to wait until like March and then see what's going on before I decide to commit to another season, although I really think I want to go back. If I do go back though, it most certainly won't be for the paycheck, as I make more in a day doing web design or selling travel than I will in a week at Cedar Point. At least I'll hopefully have enough money in the bank by then that I don't have to worry about money and can do what I really want for the summer.

Jr. Poster
    I'll be at kennywood for my second season either at the Aero or as an Extra

Minetrain Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Rehm View Post
    I'll most likely be back at SFGAM as Ride Maintenance. Pay should be around $9-10/hr plus OT.
    I was actually considering doing the same thing at my home park of SFGADV, did you originally start in maintenance or work your way up? I'm actually an engineering student in college right now, so I figured it would be a good hands-on experience. Any info you have would really be appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by saxman47; 01-18-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Well, I just got a phone call from "PARAMNT CANADAS" (tehehe).

I'm going for an interview next Saturday at 9am. Ecology... again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast