Thread: Record Breakers Contest: Judging

Record Breakers Contest: Judging

Hey Guys,

Due to the fact that I do not own 1.6 at the time (Not out for Mac at the moment), neither does Erik, and we noticed that a number of you submitted tracks using 1.6, and we do not want to hinder your intention of the coaster (Either being new friction on or off, or new type of tracks) so I am opening the judging to ALL Members of Thrillnetwork.

The Rules:
    Any member of Thrillnetwork may rate a record breakers coaster, including those that built the coaster. If you entered a coaster and want to judge, you are NOT allowed to judge your own coaster, and PLEASE be fair and legitimate to other contestants.

Since I am opening it to everyone, the judging form is as follows, its simple, easy and quick:

The Format:

Pros: (Please list what you feel is good about the coaster here)
    Cons: (Please list what you feel needs improvement, and what needs work here, please be curteous)
    Score: 1-10 scale. I will average rates after the judging is completed.

Where to submit your form:
    Please submit your judging HERE! I will monitor and make sure voting is fair. If you bomb a ride, make your discription PAINFULLY short, or anything too harsh I will delete vote.

Winners will have their coasters on the Winners Circle on Speedzone.

Questions? Comments? Please let me know!

A directory of the tracks can be found here: http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/...ad.php?t=41007

Thank you, please VOTE!

Voting Deadline: February 11th at 11:59 P.M.
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Looping Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L View Post
    Hey Guys,

Due to the fact that I do not own 1.6 at the time (Not out for Mac at the moment), neither does Erik, and we noticed that a number of you submitted tracks using 1.6,
    WHAT??? http://www.nolimitscoaster.de/progress.htm check the date please!
    Limits? NoLimits!

Quote Originally Posted by redunzelizer View Post
    WHAT??? http://www.nolimitscoaster.de/progress.htm check the date please!
    Terrific! I did not know, I will download it right away.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Minetrain Poster
    Now that you'll have v1.6, will you judge the coasters that were designed with 1.6 instead of the members?
    Hard work pays off later...
    Laziness pays off NOW!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro and Kingda Ka--Nitro=most fun, Kingda Ka=most thrill

oh wow, this is getting confusing.
    Can't wait for those to strap me into Maverick!
    11 Parks - 52 coasters - 9 Wood - 43 Steel
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Quote Originally Posted by sfgaRllrcstrfan View Post
    Now that you'll have v1.6, will you judge the coasters that were designed with 1.6 instead of the members?
    No, I opened the voting up to ALL MEMBERS, regardless of weather or not I own 1.6 or not.

I really want to apologize for all the confusion. After AJMarch bailed on the contest I'm not sure what the best way to judge it and rank coasters, so I'm opening up for anyone that has No Limits to view the coasters, and submit their ratings. It's really simple, just post 'em here.

I Took This Picture!!! steven77's Avatar
    Tropical Mountain,

Pros. Good supports <8>, The hills were smooth and flowing <7>, The track was mostly smooth <7>, and vey fun<8>. (average 7.5)

Cons. Some of the banking could have been better because it felt awkward feeling <6>, I may have got to close to the hills<6>, Might have been a little to long (people would probably get sick)<8>, And there was Pumping<7>. (average, about 7)

Raiting: 7.7
    __________________________________________________ ___

Maximum Vitality,

Pros. I guess the supports were good <7>. Heatlined<7>.

Cons. Very stretched out<4>, May be uncomferable for riders to hang upside down, side ways, and many other ways<5>, Poor layout<4>.

Rating: 5.4 (or round if nedded)

Tyrant,

pros. Good supports mostly <7>, Fast fun layout<8>, fun turns<8>.

Cons. Weird banking<6>, pumping<7>, Camelbacks were shaped poorly<6>.

Raiting: 7.

Cougar:

pros: Fun, good layout, good turns, mostly smooth

cons: Ouch! 6 g's!!!! and 2 lateral g's, pumping.

Raiting: 6.5
    Last edited by steven77; 02-11-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Or triple...
    o hai. i herd u liek mudkipz?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    Tropical Mountain - 6/10
    Fun ride, seemed like more work was put into supports than layout and trackwork though. Also would have used some sort of transport device before the hill.

Velocita - 6.5/10
    I love big wooden coasters, but what's up with the wheels on the lift? And you prolly could have corrected the supports if you wanted. That style support always does that.

Maximum Vitality - 4/10
    V2:Vertical Velocity meets Wicked Twister, only not quite as fun. Need more rotations! Supports were overdone compared to track.

Tyrant - 5.5/10
    Really big.. Really long. The banking was a little funky in places. The layout was pretty good though.

Saphira - 8/10
    The trackwork is incredible [thanks to the use of tools no doubt] but the layout has too many FAST direction changes. Calm this ride down and it's one of the best out there.

Pegasus - 7/10
    Lots of potential in this coaster. Great pacing until the last 1000ft. Not sure exactly what was missing but something just didn't feel "right" about this one. I think it was the crazy banking parts, cause other than that I liked it.

Cougar - 8.5/10
    Very much something I would build [actually very similar to something I designed for an RCT park once] Pick up the 2nd half pacing and this ride is screen-saver worthy. Great job.

Scylla - 5/10
    I've never been too big on looping coasters, so my views might be biased. However I also thought this ride would have been better without the LIM boost sections, and the support clearances weren't the best. In general the layout and elements were well done. I also liked the greenhouse cage structure over the transfer track.

[I know this isn't proper format but this was hard enough for me to do]
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

You know guys, I would prefer the ratings to be all in one post, it would make it much easier on me!

Minetrain Poster
    cons: Ouch! 6 g's!!!!.....pumping.
    Just to put it out there, it was either 6 g's pushing you in your seat or 6 g's pulling you out of your seat in order to make that turn. Just wonderin', where did you feel pumping?
    Hard work pays off later...
    Laziness pays off NOW!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro and Kingda Ka--Nitro=most fun, Kingda Ka=most thrill

just curious, is it possible that if you judge one, you judge all entries. Not sure its fair to have 10 rates for one ride, and only 1 for another. Or is this not reasonable, to judge all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCoasterMan View Post
    just curious, is it possible that if you judge one, you judge all entries. Not sure its fair to have 10 rates for one ride, and only 1 for another. Or is this not reasonable, to judge all of them?
    Yes please try your best to rate ALL coasters if you choose to vote at all.

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    I feel like I did something kinda right... lmao... I've never been a good judge though.
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

Scylla- 7/10
    I thought this reminded me very much of cedar point's Maverick. The turns were tight but most of the forces in the back seat were to much, like the positive g's on the first drop. The was also a lot of pumping in the track, some of the elements were had potential but just weren't brought out the right way.

Cougar-6.5/10
    In my opinion, if more effort was put forth towards this, it would have been an all around better coaster. The first drop did seem a little unrealistic as did the height, for a B&M. The supports were realistic but they weren't as detailed, ex. flanges. The track also had many pumps and bumps that could have been resolved.

Pegasus-7/10
    Personally, I really liked this track. The pieces of strait track, like the one prior to the lift also added to the excitement, showing speed. The supports were the only place where I was really disappointed. If you took the effort and time, you probably could have fixed the problems with the terrain.
    Last edited by Emann; 02-11-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Voting has concluded! I will average votes tonight.

Results will be posted tommorow night!

Here are the results for the Record Breakers contest hosted by AJMarch. A big thanks to all of you that participated, and voted! If you'd like to get into another contest, apsterling has a contest going on over here: http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/...ad.php?t=41275

Without further delay, here are the results:

1st Place: With an average rating of 8.00, Saphira!
    2nd Place: Cougar took 2nd with an average of 7.16
    3rd: Lastly, but not least: Pegasus with a average of 7.00

Other ratings as follows:
    4th: Tropical Mountain 6.85
    5th: Velocita 6.5
    6th: Tyrant 6.25
    7th: Scylla 6.00
    8th Maximum Vitality 4.7