Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elementary Coaster Contest!!

Elementary Coaster Contest!!

This contest is all about who is the best at incorporating Elementary into their track designs. If you like to use elementary, you want practice in it, or you have never heard of it before, come check out this contest!

Restrictions:
    1. No fewer than five (5) elements must be elementaryed. If you do not have it, you can download it at nolimitsdevcenter.net/toolbox.
    2. NO inversions (maximum banking is 175 degrees).
    3. Must be at least 5000 feet in length unless it is more than 250 feet tall, in which case it must be more than 6000 feet long.
    4. The height may not exceed 400 feet.
    5. It must be COMPLETELY inside the circle in the template, marked by the support structure on the outside.
    6. NO prefab supports. All custom supports. Support creativity/usefulness as supports is a part of grading.
    7. Track type may not have OTSR's (B&M twister, standup, floorless, modern steel looping, eurofighter, etc. are not allowed).
    8. You may not use 3ds objects.
    9. All entries must be ANNOUNCED by July 4th and UPLOADED on Speedzone no later than August 1st. This may change, depending on the number of entries and their status at that time.
    10. AHG is recommended, but not required. This can also be downloaded at the link provided with elementary, along with many other tools to aid you in this contest.
    11. Terraforming is not allowed.
    12. Scenery (not 3ds) is allowed.

Other Rules:
    -Please include your elementary elements in the track file, as proof that you used them. We know you can just make something look elementaryed, but please be honest.
    -And please don't mess with the template.

Note: Coasterman1234 and I are running this, so PM one of us if you have any questions. Or I suppose you can just post them in the thread.

The template is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by go_me; 06-04-2007 at 09:11 PM.
    AP Classes are so worth it...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghost Rider | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Carowinds Hater Poster coasterman1234's Avatar
    Well go_me summed it up pretty well. BTW, I'm entering.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point & Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka & Goliath (SFOG)

Me too. I forgot to mention that above. So we need judges!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghost Rider | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

WOW. I haven't touch NL in a long time. I forgot how to use Elementary anyways. Have fun making coasters.

I'll judge!

This version of the template looks the same from above, but you can actually see the track from the side.

New rule: Any track in the area between the inner circle of supports and outer circle counts .5 points off for every time it goes there. Anything outside the outer circle instantly disqualifies your entry.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by go_me; 06-04-2007 at 09:44 PM.

One more small rule: there can only be one lift or launch as well.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point & Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka & Goliath (SFOG)

Oh dear...elementary...never used it... Oh well, I guess it's time to learn it...
    And I like the no-prefab-supports rule
    I'm not active on this forum anymore.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Walibi World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Robin Hood - Walibi World | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath - Walibi World

^It can be fairly aggravating, lol. Just in case anyone is wondering... when you add an element onto your existing track, it will probably be rough, you can edit the Elementary element to make it fit smoothly onto your existing track (it will not disqualify you from the contest). It doesn't have to be just the elementary element without any tweaking.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    I like everything except the no pre-fab supports ah well... I'll let you know by July if I'm going to enter anything. I haven't touched NL in ages... [ok not really, but I just like stopped working on my Maverick recreation and haven't gone back.]
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

*edit*

So far the contestants are:
    coasterman1234
    Erik Leppen
    apsterling
    Emann

and possibly:
    CP Maverick.

Anyone else want to enter?

Judges:
    go_me
    Last edited by coasterman1234; 06-19-2007 at 10:06 PM.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!

I'm in... Yeah.
    o hai. i herd u liek mudkipz?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point

Okay I'm in.

EDIT:

Are the supports allowed to be outside of the boundary?
    Last edited by Emann; 06-19-2007 at 06:50 PM.

^I'll ask go_me when he gets back on AIM, I don't see why supports wouldn't be allowed outside.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!

For the record, I am too lazy to enter; I will only judge.
    If the supports are unnecessarily outside of the template, then there will be a deduction, but it will not disqualify your entry. If they're between the two support circles, no points off. And, if the supports outside of the boundary are COMPLETELY necessary, then they are fine. I'll decide how this will be determined and get back to you soon.

*edit*
    It will be voted upon by all judges, so we therefore need at least three. I still haven't decided whether it has to be unanimous or not...
    Last edited by go_me; 06-19-2007 at 10:09 PM.

Speaking of judges... we need more of those. Anyone want to judge?
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!

I'll Judge.
    Timbers Crew 08...
    Timbers crew 09..!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Michigan's adventures | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

I would say: the coaster has to stay inside the circle, and the coaster includes supports, so supports have to stay inside the circle. To make life easier, I would say: in the editor, no line may go out of the circle.

Make a coaster in the given area, means: "suppose some park has this area free for a coaster and no more. Design a coaster for this park". If the park has no more ground, you can not place supports on it. So I vote for no supports outside the region, and that what I am going to do no matter what judges decide.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Walibi World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Robin Hood - Walibi World | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath - Walibi World

I am your substitute god willski2002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterman1234 View Post
    ^It can be fairly aggravating, lol. Just in case anyone is wondering... when you add an element onto your existing track, it will probably be rough, you can edit the Elementary element to make it fit smoothly onto your existing track (it will not disqualify you from the contest). It doesn't have to be just the elementary element without any tweaking.
    Ummm....if you did it right, you shouldn't have to move any bezier nodes in the Editor at all, just insert the elements, heartline, and support. No touching of the track is needed.

And one other thing before I join-you can make inversions even if the rules specify no banking over 175 degrees. Immelmanns, dive loops, cobra rolls, and inclined loops for the most part do not go beyond 175.

A better number is 135.

I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCW Maniac
    What I'm posting is saying how brave I am and that I don't care about rules! If I lose my camera while making a POV, at least I'll lose it for something.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Raven/Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I'm out, but I'll still judge.

Quote Originally Posted by willski2002 View Post
    A better number is 135.
    Wasn't it standard that a track element is called an inversion if there is some spot where the banking exceeds 135? I thought it was at least.

Rules update:

The new maximum banking is 135 degrees.

As for the perimeter and supports question... I'll leave that up to the judges to decide.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!

I am your substitute god willski2002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Leppen View Post
    Wasn't it standard that a track element is called an inversion if there is some spot where the banking exceeds 135? I thought it was at least.
    Yep, that's why I suggested it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCW Maniac
    What I'm posting is saying how brave I am and that I don't care about rules! If I lose my camera while making a POV, at least I'll lose it for something.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Raven/Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I dont think supports should leave the circle.
    Timbers Crew 08...
    Timbers crew 09..!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Michigan's adventures | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

I think they should be in.

I said I would judge earlier in this thread so my vote is that the supports stay inside the circle. Erik Leppen made a good point about designing for a park with limited space.

Rollercoaster Trip VI Poster! GaleRazorwind's Avatar
    You said no prefab supports, does that include the wooden auto-supports?

And also an inversion is technically a full 180 degrees
    Last edited by GaleRazorwind; 06-23-2007 at 12:26 PM.
    ^EL TORO^ RULES!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

You said no prefab supports, does that include the wooden auto-supports?
    I would say that it does not include the wooden autos, but I'll leave that for the judges to decide.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!

I'll join. This should be a challenge.
    Check out 007: The Ride, a thrilling indoor coaster: http://www.thrillnetwork.com/speedzo....php?file=2443
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by coasterman1234 View Post
    I would say that it does not include the wooden autos, but I'll leave that for the judges to decide.
    I agree that it doesn't include wooden autos. They're allowed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast