Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elementary Coaster Contest!!

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, United States
    I will judge if you would like. I have played No Limits for years but I am more of a by hand only person. I still know how to judge. Plus I on staff and all...

Originally known as Topdrag; Coaster Count: 309 Renegade Count: 846
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulder Dash | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

I also agree that it doesn't include wooden autos. I say they're allowed.
    Timbers Crew 08...
    Timbers crew 09..!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Michigan's adventures | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Just a question for go_me: are you still judging? I haven't seen you say whether you are for or against supports outside the circle or whether or not those entering the contest can use wooden auto supports.

My opinion is that if there is anything that is more prefab than everything else then it is wooden auto-supports. By allowing them you give the player the option to either do all supports by themselves, or do none at all by clicking some buttons in a support builder algorithm interface window. Oh well I am not building a woodie anyway so I don't really care, but it would just be unfair when a 100% custom steel coaster support construction would earn the same number of points as a wooden support structure that is made within 10 minutes. I know that a NoLimits coaster designer should not consider the auto-supports as finished supports, but I hope that judges consider this when giving points for supports. My convention with judging was partly to give only few points for unchanged auto-supports because I considered that fair towards the custom builders.
    I'm not active on this forum anymore.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Walibi World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Robin Hood - Walibi World | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath - Walibi World

^I don't think there was any better way to say that.

I have a few questions in terms of the contest.
    1. You can you can't have more than 1 lift/launch. My ride has multiple LIM segments, but only one is a launch and the rest are brakes. Do the brake LIMs count?
    2. In the case of a racing rollercoaster, how long does it have to be? Can it just be 5000ft or does each side have to be that long?
    3. You siad no 3ds, but are car textures allowed? if so, can we track package it?
    4. You said we need 6 or more elementary elements included. if we have more, do we have to include them?
    5. How much can we edit the elements.
    I know I have a lot of questions, but i don't want any point deductions for stupid mistakes.
    Check out 007: The Ride, a thrilling indoor coaster: http://www.thrillnetwork.com/speedzo....php?file=2443
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel

I just realized something. my ride is racing and has one lauch for each side. Does the one launch rule still aply or can I have two?
    Check out 007: The Ride, a thrilling indoor coaster: http://www.thrillnetwork.com/speedzo....php?file=2443
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel

I say that you can have 2 launches if it is a racing coaster.
    Timbers Crew 08...
    Timbers crew 09..!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Michigan's adventures | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

^ I agree. If it is a racing coaster, two lauches should be allowed.

Even though I'm not a judge and really have no say, I have to disagree with both of you. The rules clearly stated that there was only on launch or lift allowed.

Carowinds Hater Poster coasterman1234's Avatar
    1. You can you can't have more than 1 lift/launch. My ride has multiple LIM segments, but only one is a launch and the rest are brakes. Do the brake LIMs count?
    IMO, as long as they only serve as magnetic brakes they should be allowed.

2. In the case of a racing rollercoaster, how long does it have to be? Can it just be 5000ft or does each side have to be that long?
    I'll leave that for the judges to decide.

3. You siad no 3ds, but are car textures allowed? if so, can we track package it?
    I would say no because some users that are judging use Apple computers that do not have Track Packager available for them.

4. You said we need 6 or more elementary elements included. if we have more, do we have to include them?
    I don't think it would matter, just as long as you include the required amount.

5. How much can we edit the elements.
    I, personally, have edited some elements (especially parabolas) a lot, mostly at the connecting points. I would say you can edit as much as you want, just as long as the elementary element can still be easily obviously identified.

-----

Also, I agree, Erik summed it up very well about the wooden pre-fab supports.
    Last edited by coasterman1234; 06-29-2007 at 09:47 PM.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point & Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka & Goliath (SFOG)

Here's the list of contestants and judges so far. There are only 4 more days for new contestants to enter.

Contestants:

willski2002
    Erik Leppen
    coasterman1234
    Emann
    J-Tech
    and possibly CP-Maverick

Judges:
    Timbersman
    Alan J
    Skiergirl77
    apsterling
    go_me
    Last edited by coasterman1234; 06-30-2007 at 06:32 PM.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point & Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka & Goliath (SFOG)

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    Are Elementary FVD's allowed, or HSAK? I prefer those, or making my own formulas, over the standard Elementary formulas.
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

^I think anything that is done in Elementary is fair game, so I presume they should be allowed.

^^Yes, Emann is correct, anything with elementary is accepted.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!

I just have a question about the deadlines: When is the actual track due?

^Your track must be completed and uploaded by August 1.

Although, if all contestants are finished with their rides, and everyone agrees, we may move the date earlier so we can get judging completed.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Tech View Post
    I have a few questions in terms of the contest.
    In the case of a racing rollercoaster, how long does it have to be? Can it just be 5000ft or does each side have to be that long?
    I'd say both sides need to be 5,000ft.

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, United States
    I also agree with that decision.

Originally known as Topdrag; Coaster Count: 309 Renegade Count: 846
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulder Dash | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

Rollercoaster Trip VI Poster! GaleRazorwind's Avatar
    Okay, I want in on the competition. But can I get a definite yes or no from the judges about the racing coaster dillema? (i.e. two lifts in the moebeus(or however it is spelled) loop)
    ^EL TORO^ RULES!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

^ There are 5 judges, 2 have said two lifts/launches are allowed we need one more judge to agree to give you a definate yes. I'll try to locate the other three judges so they can state their opinions.
    Last edited by SkierGirl77; 07-03-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by go_me View Post
    Other Rules:
    -Please include your elementary elements in the track file, as proof that you used them. We know you can just make something look elementaryed, but please be honest.
    -And please don't mess with the template.
    How should we "include" the element files? You mean in the *.zip file?

And does erasing the 3492082 billion nodes and such above ground level count as "messing" with the template? Cause that was insane...

F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

^ Yeah I have that same question about the elementary files, and I would also just like to say that I'm finished; just saying this to notify the judges.

^ Finished? Wow, that's great. You still have until August 1 to make any changes if needed.

^Yeah I worked on it all last night. I was just saying this because if everyone is done with their track before the deadline, it can be pushed back.

Sorry for the double post but, when you upload the track file do you check the box for entering the monthly contest?

Wow, I should open NL at some point if I plan on entering a coaster... Can I enter by mailing the back of a projection schedule my doodles for a coaster?

F CF

How should we "include" the element files? You mean in the *.zip file?
    Yes, put an element folder within the .zip file.

Sorry for the double post but, when you upload the track file do you check the box for entering the monthly contest?
    No, its not an "official" contest from TN, it's user conducted. Just upload your track and post a link in this thread to make it easier on the judges. If you decide to make any changes, make sure to note it in the thread with a link to the updated track file.

And does erasing the 3492082 billion nodes and such above ground level count as "messing" with the template? Cause that was insane...
    The circle was the area in which the coaster had to be built. As long as the coaster still fits within that circle, I don't think it would matter.

--Official Contestant List--

willski2002
    Erik Leppen
    coasterman1234
    Emann
    J-Tech
    CP-Maverick
    GaleRazorwind
    Last edited by coasterman1234; 07-06-2007 at 04:41 PM.
    Boycott Carowinds 2009!

Ok, to make it easier for everyone that was wondering [aka, me]... its a 725ft diameter circle covering a hair under 9 1/2 acres.

Guess I should turn my drawing into a NL track file, eh?

Edit:
    What was the final judgement on the wooden pre-fab supports?
    Last edited by CP Maverick; 07-07-2007 at 02:44 AM.

F CF

Wow have I missed a lot...
    I say two launches on a racing coaster, but each side needs to be 5000 feet. (Unless it's more than 250 feet high, in which case it needs to be 6000.)
    I also say no prefab wooden supports. They're just too easy.
    Good luck to all!!!
    BTW Emann, was Paranoia your contest entry?
    AP Classes are so worth it...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghost Rider | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast