Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Too fat to ride!

Too fat to ride!

Hey all,
    I know you guys don't know who I am but I have been reading this forum for a long time. I had made several posts but some how my user name was blocked from the site because of a bad e-mail address. I tried go thru the proper channels to get this fixed but I never received any response.

I am the guy who went to cedar point last year and was not aloud to ride MF or TTD because I was to fat! Well thank the Lord I am now in gear and have lost 35lbs as of today. I am going to ride King da ka and Griffon the last week in August so I have to get my butt back in shape like I once was. I used to work out all the time but after a bad injury I got out of the gym and put on a lot of fat. The reason I am telling you this is because I want to post my weekly weight loss here in this thread. I know to those of you who have never battled there weight you may think it is stupid. Well I have a lot to go to be back to were I need to be and having more accountability is a lot of help! So that is were I am with only 80 days till King Da Ka. I am not doing any program but I weigh every Thursday so I will post then!

PS: Forgive me if my typing is not to great right now. I have pink eye and I can't see very well.

Good for you, I rode MF and TTD a last week but was a little to large to ride Wicked Twister...its not really my gut thats the problem..I just have have larger legs and if I weren't a guy O would say I have child bearing hips. Griffon wont be a problem unles you have a large upper torso a B&M's are more foregiving for larger people than Intamins are.
    Life is a journey....enjoy the ride....
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Carowinds | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunder Road | Steel Roller Coaster: Kumba

Well I have very large shoulders. I have always been able to fit in any coaster until I just really let myself go to far. My goal is to loose 73 more lbs before I go to make sure there are no issues. My chest has been an issue with me since I have been able to develop a very nice set of man boobs. I am working out my chest a lot to reduce that issue. Wood coasters are fine even at my highest weight but OTSR are about 2 inches from securing the belt between the legs! As far as MF or TTD it was the seat belt that was holding me back on those. Well with the Lords help I will make it and not quit. I have learned my lesson and never want to return to the land of lard once I leave!

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    ^ You go, go go!

You can do this!

You've got a couple of good cheerleaders here on the TN staff. Editor Wes is moving along nicely in his "get small" plan. You can follow his progress by searching for a thread titled "The Quest"

I have made a fairly drastic change over the last two years, myself. Two years ago, I was at 260 pounds, hadn't been in a gym in years, and every time I got in line for MF, I was never sure if I could ride or not until I was sitting in the coaster. I started eating right, and got into a habit of going to the gym 3-5 times a week. I'm now at a lean 197 pounds. Even though that's 20 pounds overweight for my height, my body fat % is under 13, and 15 is ideal for a man my age. When I weighed 170, but never worked out, 36 inch jeans were tight enough to be uncomfortable. I now wear 34's comfortable, so that extra 20 something pounds is sitting on me in a good way.

Anyway- keep us updated on your progress, and I'll keep cheering you on. I'm sure others will as well, but I'm only promising for myself.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

MOVED: To General Talk.

Welcome back and good luck! I've been on my own weightloss "Quest" (see link) and have lost about 50lbs.

I don't know if I can fit on Millie yet, but I'm going to try next week.

It's a struggle, and I get down about how slow it's going but I have to remind myself that I used to weight 50lbs heavier! My top weight was somewhere around 300 +/-.

I move around so much easier and it takes a lot longer to tire me out now too!

I don't think I've been denied any coasters, even at my heaviest. But Thunderhead and B&M Inverts were VERY tight at my heaviest.

Now I'm a good 3 clicks down on Top Gun and can fasten my own belt without anybodys help! That's a good feeling.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Thanks,
    Sorry about starting this in the wrong place!
    Well I can tell you when I was at a good weight before my wreck. I was suited for a tux right after the wreck and I was a 68 in the shoulders and a 42 waist. Now at that size I was never denied a coaster! I am very broad and that won't go away I know but the fat on my back and chest can go down which will bring me back to a good size. What size waist would I need to be at to fit in MF or TTD?

^ I've heard that MF you need to be around a 38, but it varies by person.

I think TTD is a little more forgiving.

But as I have not ridden Millie since 2002 (pre seatbelt modifications) and never ridden TTD, I'm not the best expert. This is just what I've heard.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

How much bigger were the belts before they changed them?

See that's what I'm not sure on.

I rode Millie before the changes and I don't recall the seatbelts being very short, but people said after the SFNE accident, that they made them a lot shorter.

Yeah I wonder how much bigger they were. I rode Desperado last year and it was fine and I Magxl and Mean Streak with no issues. I know they are all different but those two are the only ones (non OTSR) that I have been denied. I was only denied one other and that was Vortex on my way up the scale. Does any one know how much you can weigh to ride superman at SFOG? I know Borg is 265 but I have never seen anything for Superman. My goal is to soon not to even have to know the limits

on Earth, but I'm moving when I finish College
    Well good luck.

You better not give up, it's the worse thing you can do.
    "So tell me, what IS plagiarism?"
    "uhhhh... Illegal?"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGE | Wooden Roller Coaster: Jackrabbit | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

^ True.

Don't give up you guys! Hope you reach your goal soon!

TN has its dieters on stock right now:

You, Wes and Slipknot.

You can read about Wes's story, but Slipknot has been trying to lose weight and even decided to cut fast food entirely out of his diet, I think thats pretty hard to do for a young adult attending college, its hard to go about your day of school without taking a quick pit stop for some food inbetween classes or work.

I'm really glad that a lot of people have used coasters as their motivation to lose weight, its a healthy and good way to change your lifestyle.

As for me, I'm the opposite quest. I'm playing for a DD Hockey League next year and as a right winger I'm trying to put on some more pounds and be a little stronger out on the ice. I'm not the big tough guy on the ice you see that knocks people down, but I need to be able to fight my way through defenders and such.

In August I weighed about 155, its now June and I weigh around 175-180, I still can't really correctly determine where I am at. I'm still trying to get a little bigger...but of course, with all my pads on I look easily 200 plus.

Good Luck!
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Resident Haunt Fanatic Woodie4-07's Avatar
    What are the exact weight/height limits for rides like Millie and Maverick at CP?
    I'm a pretty built kid, but I don't think I'm too big.
    Your leading source to Valleyfair!
    HAUNT - MCBS ~ BCC - CACI ~ MA - CE ~ HSF ~ CDD - 2010
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knott's Berry Farms | Wooden Roller Coaster: Renegade | Steel Roller Coaster: Xcelerator

MF and TTD are about the same on the seatbelts, but WT was a little tighter and I couldn't get it...I would say MF and TTD is between 38 and 40 inch waist, but the way the belts are, it was more of a hip position...WT has the belts on the OTSR and attach to the side of the seat, which makes having a big chest less favorable...good news is the have test seats at the entrances and are the same as the paramaters of the actual trains.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Carowinds | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunder Road | Steel Roller Coaster: Kumba

There are no set height, weight requirements on MF and TTD. I can tell you when I was at my biggest, i wore 38 jeans, and I was never sure until I was in the train whether or not i would fit. But, it should be noted that I always did.

And Wes knows this, but to Toofattoride and Slipknot- if you ever need someone to cheer you on, I'm there. As someone who has done the biggest part of my physical "restructuring," I know what you guys are going through, and I really want you to succeed.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

Aweeeeeeeeee.

*HUGS ALL AROUND!*

I feel the LOL j/k

Well the good thing is if I can't fit on Millie, I've already got the credit! LOL

Thanks for all the support. I have not got the credit but by God's help I will someday. I will go ahead and say this. My weight that the doctor says I am good at is about 250lbs (again I am a big guy just about no matter what I do). At about 270 I am in a 40 - 42 inch waist. 230 to 250 about 38 inch waist. I topped out at 378lbs. My goal is to be to 270 by the 27th of August which is when I leave to go to SFNJ. So I have a long way to go but I can do it because that is where I used to be and I will be fine there again. I am lifting weights and eating right and doing cardio and drinking no less than 1 gallon of water a day. Not to mention I am playing with a medicine ball even when I am resting. I also rejoined a softball league and I left my desk job and opened my own business. So in the past few months my life has gone from sitting around to being pretty active. I thank God that I have done so well out of the gate by loosing 35lbs in the first 23 days.

i am very fat (but I'm 6'4)
    I cant fit on most coasters. Last time I checked I didnt fit in Medusa, Kong or Giant Dipper. My goal is to get down to 250 by the end of summer
    Everything you say can be erased.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: disney's California Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: roar! | Steel Roller Coaster: montazoomas revenge

_________ Poster GeorgiaSchorcherfreak's Avatar
    I am wanting to begin a weight loss campain. Last year at SFOG I was too big to ride Batman and Georgia Scorcher and just barely fit on Goliath.
    I was actually wanting to start one two years ago but had some problems in my life that I am suprised I did not have a nervous breakdown over the whole ordeal.
    I am hoping within a week or two to get a membership at the YMCA and going over there every day and working out.

A Great Guy...Really jimhamblin's Avatar
    I wish you all well on your journey. It would be great if we all could enjoy these things without this restriction. I hope to see everyone here enjoying the machines they love in the near future. I'll even join you in your quest to loose a few. Glad to support.
    Jim says; "The Potential energy of the system at the height of the lift hill is equal to the Kinetic energy at the bottom of the hill...."
    Jim's friends say; "Just shut up and ride it would you."
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure - Universal Orlando | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage - Holiday World | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force - Cedar point

It seems that European companies don't think about us bigger Americans. LOL

B&M is a bit tight if you're as big as I used to be (around 300),
    Intamin mega or rocket coasters seem to be the tighest of all.
    PTC (good ol' American company) is very easy to fit into. The new train design for the Voyage is even roomier and better padded.
    GCI - while an American company as well, tend to be a bit tight if you're bigger. I can get 2 clicks now on Thunderhead, but that took a 50lb drop in weight before it happened. When at my heaviest, I had a hard time getting even one click.

But overall the European coaster designs seem to usually be tighter than American manufacturers, and that shouldn't really come as a surprise as we have such weight problems in the US.

Even though fitting on the coasters is still the riders responsibility, I still think Intamin went overboard with restrictions after the accident.

Well at 270 I should be able to fit in anything at Six Flags or BG.... right? I asked already in this thread but didn't see a answer. What is the weight limit on superman at SFOG?

I don't think you will have a problem, but it really depends on body proportions.

Here is what Six Flags says (its generic):

"Safety is our number-one priority. Guests with certain body proportions, or of certain heights and/or weights, may not be able to enjoy certain rides if the safety restraints will not operate as designed. Specific ride information is available at the ride and at Guest Relations. Height check markers are located at the entrance of each ride location to allow guests to check height prior to entering the ride. Ride attendants at each ride location can help with height check as well."

Best to email the park or go to guest relations before you enter. :-)
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Quote Originally Posted by tofattoride View Post
    Well at 270 I should be able to fit in anything at Six Flags or BG.... right? I asked already in this thread but didn't see a answer. What is the weight limit on superman at SFOG?
    Deja Vu is one that could be a problem, and the big three at BGE are all Bimmers, so it should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by tofattoride View Post
    If it's an Intamin hyper or rocket coaster, then you are going to be very close to not fitting. Depending on your build.

GOOD LUCK! This is a huge feat! I wish you the best of luck through it all!

My dad lost 60 pounds over the winter of 2005 and was able to ride MF and TTD for the first time in 2006. I hope you have a similar experience.

Well, as far as my build at 270, I am broad in the shoulders but my man boobs are about gone! I am in, I will say between a 40-44 at the max in the waist for pants. I think it is a 40-42 but we will say up to a 44 to be safe. I had someone tell me today that I looked smaller all over. They said I am still fat but am just smaller all together. That is one thing that I forget is that I will get smaller not all in my gut. I was thinking my gut should be all gone but I am shrinking in proportion. Almost Thursday again!

GCI - while an American company as well, tend to be a bit tight if you're bigger. I can get 2 clicks now on Thunderhead, but that took a 50lb drop in weight before it happened. When at my heaviest, I had a hard time getting even one click.

What weight are you at now Wes?
    Last edited by Katie; 06-12-2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Please just edit posts and add to them next time. Thanks.

Don't expect an answer on this until late in the weekend at the soonest. Wes has gone coastin', and I'll be joining him Thursday!

As for your progress, keep it up! You've obviously got good eating habits, now. Just don't let yourself break them, and you'll be home free. I know that's really simplifying things, but in the end, losing weight is all about habits- breaking bad ones and creating good ones.

Answers

There is no set weight limit on Superman- Ultimate Flight that I'm aware of. My friend who has weighed over 300lbs has rode that coaster many times. It really comes down to size. Despite being a B&M coaster, it is actually very roomy. My friend does not fit on other B&M's such as inverts for example and Raging Bull (hyper) is a tight fit for him although that's obviously a lapbar. With the B&M flyer, it could almost depend more on the size of your thighs rathe than your chest or stomach. The restraint will come down and on your legs before it rests on your upper body. I have fairly big legs and despite my friend having a considerably larger stomach and chest than me, the restraint would be about the same when it came down.

Deja Vu was also brought up a few comments. I'd imagine that al three are the same when it comes to the seats and the restraint. I've only been on SFGAM's and it's also very roomy. The same friend above who uicannot ride B&M inverts has never had any problem riding Deja Vu. Also of note, he has also ridden Serial Thriller (?) at the former SFWOA and T2 at SFKK. It seems that Vekoma makes their restraints bigger. And that would be accurate since on the same road trip, he also tried B&M coasters such as Raptor at Cedar Point and Batman: Knight Flight (Dominator) also at the former SFWOA. Neither of those were even close in fact, the metal end of the belt wouldn't even touch the fastened clip of the seat, much less over enough to put it in whereas the Vekoma coasters were no problem.

Anyways, good luck to everyone! And keep up the good work.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast