Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Too fat to ride!

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    Bleh, I, like many of you here, have had to fight my weight all my life. Sometimes, with great success, other times, not so much.

A few short years ago, I was in extremely good shape- body weight slightly above "ideal" for my height, but body fat % at the low end of the normal range. In other words, I was overweight only because I was packing extra muscle.

I've backslidden, though. Eating a bit too well, spending a little too much of my gym time in the shop, working on the toy. I REALLY felt it last year when I hiked Mt LeConte. It's a strenuos hike, but it was a little tougher than it should have been.

Time for me to get back at the good habits. Eat better, get back to my old gym rat self.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

^My thing for a few summers was walking the paths of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. There's a road that I wanted to explore that is double dead-ended in two different counties. According to maps, it is a .5 mile round trip which isn't much but it is hilly and rather unkempt. From 2005 to 2007, I used to walk a few paths of the CVNP after work (first shift) be it to explore or just to unwind.
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

Looping Poster
    I actually haven't been too good about lifting weights lately over the past month and want to start that back up tomorrow night. I've been doing more cardio/running lately. Despite having lost close to 50 pounds I still have huge thighs/legs and a meaty midsection, although definitely not as bad as when I started.

I still want to start up P90X in early to mid February as I think I've at least gotten into good enough physical shape to try that out. I'm actually canceling my Gold's Membership but only because as a part-time student I can use the university's gym. Although with P90X you don't really need to go to a gym anyway. Once I hit 250 I want to start playing basketball as that was the sport I grew up playing on into high school. I've got about 3-4 years of rust on my jump shot though
    Last edited by Redfoot12; 01-10-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Well, I have not posted in a while on here because I have been waiting to see the results of the diet. I will be at six months on the diet this Thursday. I don't want to say how far I am until I get the official weigh in. See you Thursday!

Hey guys - nobody has posted in this thread in a little over a month. I've been reading this thread religiously for about a year and just have a couple quick questions for you guys.

I'm a female (:P), 5'0", and weigh about 175, 34DD chest, size 14 jeans (for men - that's about a 36-38 waist for you guys). Since I'm so short, I'm a little chunky, but proportioned fairly even. I do carry most of my weight in my thighs and in my chest.

I am an avid Cedar Point lover, and have been going since I was little, but have only been riding the big coasters since 2004. I've yet to ride Millennium Force, TTD or Maverick (I know, I know, but I am impatient/kinda chicken).

So I was just wondering, do you guys think that I'll have problems on any of these three coasters, if I carry most of my weight in my thighs/chest? I've read so much about MF's belts being SO incredibly short and so this has made me extremely paranoid to even attempt riding. As for Maverick, I'm pretty confident that I'll fit since I have seen people much larger than me ride. And for TTD, I'm just not sure?

Any feedback would be much appreciated Thanks.

(Also - I've been losing weight and although you guys never knew it, a lot of your stories have been a great inspiration!)

A woman! Look!

Just kidding.

Welcome to TN! I'm glad you've found this thread helpful. I've struggled with my weight all my adult life after being thin all through school.

The belts are so weird on Millie, that you may have some problems there. Your waist size is well within the normal limits to fit, but then the lap bar has to go down so far before they will clear you.

I got denied El Toro back in September, even though I got the belt on by myself and clicked, then still said the bar wasn't down far enough.

I for one like the overhead restraints Intamin has come out with, it prevents a lot of these problems. I've never been denied that style train from riding. Funny thing is the only Intamin's I've been denied were El Toro and Possesed.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Welcome aboard! I don't think it should be a problem, but it's an intamin and you never can tell. Some days I can get on them, so I can't. It just depends.

Glad you are posting here, it's nice to have another female around.

P.S. Stick around, we don't make fun of anyone here on this website, we welcome all people!
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Oh hey! Usually I have to wait weeks for replies on other forums! Haha.

Thank you, thank you guys. I've also struggled with my weight my entire life - I was a chubby kid and teenage. Needless to say, I am still quite chunky but have been working on losing it. Being able to ride roller coasters comfortably has been a huge hand in motivation for me.

Last year, the first trip I took to Cedar Point (my favorite park without question, and the one I visit most), I weighed around 195. I fit on every coaster pretty comfortably, besides MF, TTD and Maverick. (I didn't even attempt them because of horrendous stories I've heard about people having to do the walk of shame.) Currently, I weigh somewhere around 170-175, but my body doesn't seem to have changed much.

I'm still a little paranoid about trying MF and TTD since they are the two that a majority of people have had problems with. I would probably start bawling if I got up there, and was rejected.

I know, I know - they have test seats. I've ALSO heard that the test seats can be very inaccurate since the restraints vary from seat to seat. Cursed things.

Personally, I am a huge fan of OTSR. Even though I'm large chested, I've never had a problem with those and they just seem so much more comfortable then a belt and lap bar.

Oh and Katie - I plan to stick around the board I've been wanting to join but just haven't for some reason!

We got a new member. So lets tar and feather her. Lol.
    People can boo me and people can cheer for me. But when they stop making noise for me then its time to retire and hang up the gloves. -Dale Earnhardt Sr.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Wicked twister

I join and them I'm punished? LOL. Well I'm happy to be here, so do what you will!

Looping Poster
    ^Hey Brittany--maybe we can make a Thelma-Louise style pact* on those Cedar Point coasters. I'm down to 253 from 305 and feel like I should be able to ride most coasters except for maybe TTD, MF, WT, and possibly Raptor. I've never been to CP but hope to make my first trip in June. I hope to be down to around 220-225 by the trip.
    If you're looking for a good nutrition/exercise plan I recommend Body For Life by Bill Phillips. Solid stuff. That's helped me some but I've moved on to P90X which is nice and new but totally wiping me out at this point!

*Our pact probably won't include driving off a cliff in a vintage American car. Just riding some fat-unfriendly coasters!

Edit to add:
    Just want to cop to still totally craving pizza, wings, burgers, cake, cookies, sweets, etc.
    Body for Life kind of helps with this in that it has a built-in free day where you're allowed to pig out on anything you want.
    P90X doesn't.
    I hate that.
    Last edited by Redfoot12; 02-16-2011 at 04:06 PM.

^That sounds fantastic! I am promising myself, and now you, that I WILL fit on those coasters the next time I visit The Point!

I've been exercising daily - walking on the treadmill for 20-25 minutes, walking my dogs, lifting weighs... I've also cut down my calorie intake to about 1200 calories a day. I usually don't like to go on commercial diets. My friend has been on SO many of them and none of them have worked the least bit for her. My routine is seemingly helping, but I guess we will find out just how much when I go to put my butt in that coaster seat!

PS, I'd totally be down to ride a vintage car off a cliff. I think that would pump more adrenaline than a coaster, any day!

PPS, if you don't mind me asking - how tall are you? I can't imagine you being too much bigger than me, especially if you're 4 or 5 inches taller than me.

Edit: Oh and I'm not trying to make you feel uncomfortable, but are you large chested? I have seen some VERY chesty women ride WT and Raptor. I mean, yeah it was a snug fit but they somehow managed. I have a big chest (34DD) and the chest area is a bit tight but the shoulders are loose (? I know this probably isn't the right word, but I can't think of it at the moment.) I think you should be good on Raptor and WT as long as your chest is monstrous. But again, I guess it all depends on proportions and where your weight sits. Not only with those two coasters, but all of 'em. For instance, I'm scared to try MF and TTD because I carry a lot of my weight in my thighs, so that could serve as a problem
    Last edited by brittanytokar1; 02-17-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Looping Poster
    Haha--I'm a guy and was just being silly about the Thelma and Louise thing. My chest is a bit man boobier than I'd like but not a 34DD. Most of my weight is in my thighs and stomach though.
    I'm 6'2 so I guess I'm about a foot and some change taller than you. My height and my big legs have been the culprits in me being denied rides in the past.
    I'm at my lowest weight since I became a "coaster enthusiast" though so I don't expect too many issues this year.
    Last edited by Redfoot12; 02-17-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Brittany I can relate to the over the shoulder problem. That is a lot of my problem with them.

My chest is bigger than yours. I have to cram my boobs into some pretty weird positions to get the restraint down. Funny thing is the Intamin over the shoulders on Maverick and 305 I had no issues with and I had quite a bit of room in. The Beemers, not so much.

I was able to fit on Super Steel Venom (haha) when it was opened, but I was unable to fit on WT because the belt was up where my boobs were.

Katie, I bet you guys are loving this convo, M.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Wes, honey, don't drool too much!

It's just too much for me.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Boobies. Lol.
    People can boo me and people can cheer for me. But when they stop making noise for me then its time to retire and hang up the gloves. -Dale Earnhardt Sr.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Wicked twister

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    I just want to point out the people who have drooled so far are staff members. However, you won't quite see me drooling over boobs, as I've never really been concerned about them.

Why, you ask? Sir-Mix-A-Lot said it best...

YouTube - Sir Mix A Lot Baby Got Back Best Quality
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

I wasn't drooling. I was embarrased. My innocent eyes can't handle it.

If you find struggling with your weight is hilarious, this isn't the thread you should be posting in, Susie. Please respect the members on this site, since you are a n00b and please read through a few threads before you post things like that.

Thank you.

I wasn't saying struggling with weight is hilarious, I've struggled all my life and continue to struggle. I was referring to the lighthearted nature of some of the posts, and the general friendliness. If that's not the case, guess I am in the wrong place. Guess since I'm a newbie I can't joke along.

Sorry then. No worries. Just seemed strange for a first post is all.

Carry on.

I went back and read the rest of the thread and realize most of it is not as funny as this last page. So I see why that didn't come out as I meant it. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Redfoot (ha wish I knew your name!), I had no idea you were a man! I am laughing hysterically right now, especially at your comment about your chest being "booby". Hahaha, I am blushing massively right now. Seriously. No. Idea. Lol. (;

Katie, yeah EVERY time I get on WT I'm nervous that the restraints aren't going to work properly Actually, WT is just a straight up embarrassing ride for me. I basically have to jump about 10 times before I can actually get my butt in the seat (I'm so short, it's really difficult for me.) and then I get really nervous that the belt isn't going to latch and I'm gonna be told to exit the ride.

Also, I might be visiting Dorney for the first time this summer (not really a park that has ever interested me, but I have a friend in Allentown, PA that I'm visiting so I figured what the heck!)

Are there any rides there I should be concerned with?

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    SuzieQ, The context of your post seemed to be the problem there, which can be taken as a bit shallow by some. Your intention seemed to be cleared up with your 2nd post.

While many of the members are serious about it, there's absolutely nothing on this site that says newbies can't joke along. That's why we ask people to put a bit of thought into what they say before they post on here. A lot of places can be skittish about newbies on a site, ours included (especially recently due to some drama that I think is rather stupid), and if we made you feel unwelcome, I apologize.

Also, Brittany (who is also a relative n00b to this site, btw): Most of the rides should accommodate you, except for Possessed (their Intamin Impulse). Their B&Ms (Hydra The Revenge and Talon) have rows that have seats in which the OTSRs are supposed to be more accommodating than the standard B&M OTSRs -- and the test seats reflect that rather accurately. Their Wild Mouse is rather tight, but Steel Force is rather roomy. If you can ride Magnum with no problem, you can most definitely handle Steel Force (and then some). Thunderhawk (their only woodie) has buzzbars and seatbelts.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Thanks Steven. I deleted the first message to avoid misunderstanding. I have to remind myself that ya'll don't know me, so probably won't get my sense of humor. I'm a laid back kind of gal that tries not to take things too seriously cause it just stresses me out and makes it worse.

Suzie, please don't take offense to what I said. As of late our site has just been bad mouthed and attacked upon and we are just trying to protect our image to our new posters and the industry that we are in. Please accept my personal apology.

Please feel free to post in our many threads. It's nice to have another girl around here. It gets awful dealing with all these boys all the time.

Well THAT offended me.

Welcome to the boards Susie, hope you stick around.

No apologies necessary. I understand, and will be sticking around.