Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Too fat to ride!

Ugh I never thought I would hit this point this soon. I'm close to 260 (before walking a billion miles on my Dolly trip) and I realized that I could only get the lap bar on Thunderhead to lock down on the very last click. My last official weigh in was 257, down from 265 about a month ago. So I'm making alot of progress. But this is pretty bad news for me. I'm aiming for around 230 by next summer.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Don't feel bad, the farthest down I've ever gotten Thunderhead was two clicks. Back in my heaviest days in 2005 when it was new, I had to basically take off my coat and have them push really hard to fit me in the ride. Thankfully those days are behind me as I've been able to get my one or two clicks all by myself when visiting.

But yeah, good luck with everything. It's been a struggle for me, but I think I'm in a good place now with my diet and exercise routine.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Thanks. Good luck to you too. I guess since Kentucky Kingdom closed thats where most of my weight came from. When it was open and I went regularly I weighed around 180. 2 years of no park and I'm up to 260 due to the loss of an attraction where you can walk around alot.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion

Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Quote Originally Posted by Tigeraceray View Post
    Ugh I never thought I would hit this point this soon. I'm close to 260 (before walking a billion miles on my Dolly trip) and I realized that I could only get the lap bar on Thunderhead to lock down on the very last click. My last official weigh in was 257, down from 265 about a month ago. So I'm making alot of progress. But this is pretty bad news for me. I'm aiming for around 230 by next summer.
    It's alright, I weigh 260 (but I practically can squat a car so it's not all fat lol) and I usually only get it one click.
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

Haha I just hate being so fat. I mean its not entirely fat because I do alot of hard work outside (like chopping up roots to remove stumps and the like instead of buying a stump grinder lol) but I have let my eating habits get out of control.

Maybe it was only Thunderhead but I think I remember getting around 2-3 clicks Sunday on Kentucky Rumbler. (btw, does anyone know why Rumbler is missing the sign on the front of its train?)

Didn't know Rumbler was missing its sign. I loved Rumbler, too far away for me to visit again anytime soon though.

And yeah, I hate being overweight too. Not just for the coasters but just how I feel in my clothes and whatnot.

I've felt the best I have in that regard this week than I have in years.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Yes, on my first visit to Beech Bend we was waiting for it to return back to the station and it came in and the name of the ride was missing and it jumped right out at me since its such a prominent feature on GCI's,

I know what you mean. My doctor said Ive gained 50 pounds since my last visit. And it doesn't help when the max weight for my adjustable office chair at my desk is 230 and when I set in it, it slowly drops to the ground, kind of like it's mocking me lol. If I can get to 230 I will be extremely happy.

Forgot to update here: As of Thursday I've lost 30lbs since starting the new workout back in November!

I splurged a little Friday & Saturday but I'm back on the diet again as of yesterday.

Course Saturday I probably sweated 3000 calories out at Coaster Stock. lol

Yesterday was the first time in longer than I can remember that when I went down the first hill on Thunder Road, it locked a second click down. I'll have to remember to hold up my lap bar in the future. lol But yeah, my coaster rides are so much more comfortable these days. Yesterday I could touch the belt to the buckle on Afterburn's last row seat but I'm still probably 10-20 lbs from being able to belt myself in. I'm very glad that I'm heading down again and hope I never gain back any of this weight.

Hit 35 lbs lost this week.

I need some new jeans really soon, these are just way too big now.

^nice! I've lost five pounds, only 20 more to go for my goal.

I've never had an issue fitting on rides but some of them have started getting tight.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

I was denied El Toro last year on my first trip to Gr. Adventure, so that's one of my motivators right now.

As of this morning I'm down to 245. Which means I've lost 40 lbs since November!

Honestly I can't remember the last time I weighed 245, probably somewhere around 2002 or 2003.

Its amazing how much difference a few pounds makes. I weigh about 20 pounds less than I did in March, I'm very happy that the zipper is no longer a "I might fit"! Flipped 22 times in a row the other night at the county fair, had a ride op in the car with me! Great time. I've got about 40 pounds to go before I hit my ideal weight.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole. Since Wes talked about riding the bike alot and I recently got more free time during the week I wanted to get back on the 26 in. bike. The tire just went so I've been riding the 24 in. BMX. Now that I got a new tube today I hope to give some time during the day to venture out on the bike.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Well I noticed I'm really letting myself go and I'm taking initiative and doing something about it. Since I arguably have almost all the time in the world to exercise I'm going to make it tough.

I weigh 260 and have held that for the most part over the past 3-6 months. But I really noticed at Dollywood and Beech Bend that, I'm really having an issue fitting on GCI's. Haven't tried a PTC but I'm assuming thyre worse. So yeah its time for a change. Cleverly calling it Wild Eagle Conditioning XD.

Monday: Bike Ride/Walk for 1.5 miles in the morning. Volleyball in the evening for an hour
    Tuesday: Bike Ride 1.5 miles
    Weds.: Bike Ride 1.5 miles
    Thurs: Bike Ride 1.5 miles
    Friday: Walking with mom/Or Bike Ride for 1.5 miles
    Saturday: Walk with mom/Bike Ride for 1.5 miles
    Sunday: Rest

Eventually I want to push it up to 2 miles but I did my first bike ride and got about 1 mile. Those hills killed me. My goal is to lose at least 5 to 10 pounds by Wild Eagle (3-23-12) and then 20-25 by the Kings Island Event and then 40 to 50 by the end of the year. My ideal weight to were I start feeling good is 230, but I want to drop to around 200 at least. And eventually get to 180 or 190 which I think is the weight most males my age are supposed to weigh. So yeah I can already feel the effects and I'm ready to start dropping weight. Not looking forward to having to get all new pants though lol.

Are you able to run? If so, I would do that too. Also remember that you want to avoid working the same muscles everyday. They need a day to heal and recover. So while a bike ride is a VERY good work out, I would suggest upping the distance and then only doing it every other day. Then on the days that you aren't bike riding, you can work on muscular strength endurance which can be in the form of abs work out or upper body strength. Then remember that it is cool to lose weight, but do it in a healthy manner. A healthy manner is 3-8 lbs a month, but generally people will lose about 5 at the most a month. It is hard work to lose weight and it takes time, but you don't want to sacrifice your health in the name of it. Keep it at a reachable goal every month and before you know it that weight will be coming off.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Yeah its just hard to mess with the distances with the topography of my neighborhood. I swear they couldnt have made it any more hilly than it is. I used to be able to ride it easily but 4 years sulking over the past and just too much time in video games has pretty much ruined it for me. Eventually if I can get up and over this one hill in the neighborhood I'll start changing distances but i was out 10 minutes Friday and I about dropped over from pushing myself too hard. I do have Wii Fit and the sports pack on the PS Move (ironic how I was mentioning video games) and I've done decently good for a few pounds here and there before. They have this one mode for sword fighting on the PS Move and I played for about half an hour and I was drenched and sore. Really get into swinging your arms alot.

Oh I forgot to mention changes to my Diet. I used to eat half a bag of chips and some brownies every night or so when I watched TV so I've really cut back there. Heck I've really cut back everything from about a 4000 calorie diet to maybe 2500 to 3000. Its weird refusing food when I usually eat just to eat. I've also put myself into my own sleep schedule, which I'll be breaking mostly all week as this is my spring break, by going to bed by 2am when I'm usually up to 3 and 4am and around midnight or 1am on school nights.

I tried P90X once and just never again. I want weight loss and getting in shape but holy crap. To anyone who can keep up with that workout your amazing. But I do think I can get 5 pounds this month and then maybe 15 to 20 by May.

Also what about changing Tuesdays/Thursdays to focusing on abs and weights while keeping the rest relatively the same?

I have been able to lose about 18 pounds in the past few months just by changing my diet. It's amazing what that alone can do. I'm getting ready to start an exercise routine which I'm certain will help me lose the last 5-10 pounds and maintain that level.

PTCs are tight, even for me.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Yeah its just hard to mess with the distances with the topography of my neighborhood. I swear they couldnt have made it any more hilly than it is. I used to be able to ride it easily but 4 years sulking over the past and just too much time in video games has pretty much ruined it for me. Eventually if I can get up and over this one hill in the neighborhood I'll start changing distances but i was out 10 minutes Friday and I about dropped over from pushing myself too hard. I do have Wii Fit and the sports pack on the PS Move (ironic how I was mentioning video games) and I've done decently good for a few pounds here and there before. They have this one mode for sword fighting on the PS Move and I played for about half an hour and I was drenched and sore. Really get into swinging your arms alot.

Oh I forgot to mention changes to my Diet. I used to eat half a bag of chips and some brownies every night or so when I watched TV so I've really cut back there. Heck I've really cut back everything from about a 4000 calorie diet to maybe 2500 to 3000. Its weird refusing food when I usually eat just to eat. I've also put myself into my own sleep schedule, which I'll be breaking mostly all week as this is my spring break, by going to bed by 2am when I'm usually up to 3 and 4am and around midnight or 1am on school nights.

I tried P90X once and just never again. I want weight loss and getting in shape but holy crap. To anyone who can keep up with that workout your amazing. But I do think I can get 5 pounds this month and then maybe 15 to 20 by May.

Also what about changing Tuesdays/Thursdays to focusing on abs and weights while keeping the rest relatively the same?
    I'd recommend starting out with walking or running and building up to a more intense workout.

Our workouts with the trainer Tues./Thurs. are like P90x style workouts on crack. Very intense.

Also I've gotten string cheese and I usually will get hungry right before bed, so I'll just have that and that stops the hunger, but it has no carbs for your body to store.

Changing it to Tuesdays and Thursday for abs and upper body will be just fine too. Just wanna make sure your muscles have adequate time to heal. P90X is no joke at all. I did a few minutes of it one day and pretty much quit! I wouldn't suggest going to it immediately, but over time it can be good to use too. Also, because you live on a hill, doing runs up and down that hill will do a lot too. Doesn't have to be a fast run, but just a jog. You do that about 3 or 4 times in a row and you will feel the burn quickly. Bike riding is probably one of the best kept secrets to a workout because you work almost every muscle. I do it. Shoot living in Germany, if you don't ride a bike you are pretty much considered an outcast. So I suggest you keep doing that. Even if short rides are too much for ya, it will eventually become easier.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Yeah, with me being in bed earlier and getting up earlier I've tried to go out on my ride or walk before noon and im working on getting 3 good meals a day and alot less snacking in between. I live on the back section of the neighborhood on the main road. So its mostly in the middle of the two main hills on it. The next street over is the one that kills me. Its a steep hill in a turn, so im not just trying to go straight up I have to turn and thats just a big workout for me. A little bit past that hill is another hill but no where near as steep just a long one and it gets me too.

We're opening our pool this year for the first time in 3 years so I'm sure it'll be great to use 3 times a week. I just hope theres no damage to it when it is opened being closed that long.

Actually snacks are a good thing, you just spread out your calories throughout your day instead of 3 times a day.

It keeps your sugar levels from dropping and also helps your body to stay steady burning through the day.

When I snack, I snack big time like bags of chips at a time and half a tub of ice cream. Yeah its really bad I think lol.

Did my 2nd weigh in last night. Down to about 255/257. Starting jogging a little bit but feels like my shin is about to break on my right leg.

Did a 5 minute bike ride today. Why 5 minutes? I looked outside during work on my football cards and saw a storm cloud figuring I had at least 20 minutes I went out and got on the bike. 1 minute into it and it was like someone turned a fire hose on. Managed to get up a pretty average hill and flew down the hill at the top of my street back into the garage. Theres my bath for the day.

I wear a size 40 and weigh about 260 same as last year. I was able to ride everything at cedar point last season including dragster. It was tight but we made it work. Wicked twister was actually worse for me. The attendant would have to put all of their weight into the restraint to get the side to buckle right. It sucked but it was worth it in the end.

This year with going to dollywood and having never been there I worry about not fitting on rides right but I'm currently dieting a bit so we will see if I drop some weight and make it a non issue. I better be able to ride wild eagle lol.

I will never complain about not being able to fit on a ride I look at it as a motivating tool to drop weight.

Quote Originally Posted by APE View Post
    I wear a size 40 and weigh about 260 same as last year. I was able to ride everything at cedar point last season including dragster. It was tight but we made it work. Wicked twister was actually worse for me. The attendant would have to put all of their weight into the restraint to get the side to buckle right. It sucked but it was worth it in the end.

This year with going to dollywood and having never been there I worry about not fitting on rides right but I'm currently dieting a bit so we will see if I drop some weight and make it a non issue. I better be able to ride wild eagle lol.

I will never complain about not being able to fit on a ride I look at it as a motivating tool to drop weight.
    I'm size 40 as well and had no problem on anything at Dollywood this past weekend. Wild Eagle can be finicky it seems...the inside seats seemed to be just a smidge roomier compared to the outside ones, but still no problem.

This thread is great! trying to be healthier is a always a good choice, coasters or not.

Yeah I'm definitely glad I lost a bit of weight and stuff. Lots of walking and I actually fit better on rides. I'm doing really good.

The wife and I will be doing a pretty strict diet starting tomorrow. My goal is 15 pounds by my birthday (may 21) that's two weeks before we go to dollywood.

Nice. You definitely want to focus on weight for Eagle. The seats are great but its a tight fit. Saw a few have to leave the train.

I can say that I fit much better on Thunderhead than I did last summer.