Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Too fat to ride!

OK Wes, I want to know a few things from you.
    1) How tight were the OTSR on you?
    2) How much do you weigh before you went on the trip?
    3) I don't think you were but were you denied any coaster for size?

We had a house guest visit here last night and she is from Chicago. She lives a little bit from Six Flags up there. This girl is a nice girl but she is a big girl. She said that she did get to ride everything that she wanted but the OTSR were tight. Now I sat next to her on the couch and I am not nearly as big as she is depth wise. Now I am very broad as I have mentioned before. I am thinking that if she made it in the OTSR then I sure can. I did want to know from you how tight they were on you since we (men) are built differently.

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    Ok, I'm not Wes, but I'll give you a bit of insight. Two years ago, I was 5'9" and weighed 260, and wore 38 inch waist jeans. Riding ANYTHING besides MF, TTD or Wicked Twister was no problem. Going up to the station on MF was always very unnerving- not about the ride, but about whether or not I would be able to ride. I was never denied, but I was also always close.

In those days, it "wasn't safe" to ride MF unless you could fasten the seat belt and pull 1" of slack on the belt.

Last weekend, they were stating the rule as "You must fasten your own belt, and then pull 1/2" of slack on the belt. Why 1/2" was unsafe two years ago, and now is- who knows?

Also, I saw ride operators behaving differently from one another. I saw some that were helping people, and others who would not help.

And, it has been stated before, but is worth stating again- it's not so much your weight, but how you carry it. I saw a 125 pund woman have trouble fastening her own belt. Pulling enough slack was no problem, but she just couldn't see the belt latch, and had touble fastening it.

On rides with OTSR's, it's going to depend on the ride. Arrow OTSR's seem to be pretty accomodating to larger riders, but Intamin's are pretty snug. B&M's are somewhere in between. Also, some B&M's have special seats on the train that are a bit roomier for larger riders. It might be a good idea to do a bit of research about the rides at the park you are going to.

It would be real nice if you could find some coasters that were friendly to your size now, so you could get at least a taste of what you're heading for.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

_________ Poster GeorgiaSchorcherfreak's Avatar
    My official weight loss quest starts when I am able to get a gym membership. There is one about a mile from my house that is fairly new and has a trial membership. I am probably going to look into this next week. So far I have cut down on just going to the fridge and grabbing something to eat.

Also I have began drinking less regular colas and started drinking more diet and Coke Zeros. Unfortunatly my mother keeps putting the Coke Zeros in the little fridge in my parents room. So if I want a cola at 3 in the morning I have to either drink a regular, wake my parents up, drink a hot one, do without or put some in the regular fridge and wait for them to get cold. Of course my parents see any cola in the fridge and they are thirsty they will drink it Whether it is regular diet or Zero. Oh well I guess I need to get a little fridge for my room or wake them up a couple of times.
    Always ride each roller-coaster like it may be your last one. You never know when you will get to ride another one. Date of last coaster ride 10-30-2010
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Which ever one I am at or am going to next

^ Great job dude! Best of luck to you! One word though, skip the sodas (even diet) and switch to water! You'll miss them for a little while, but soon you'll only crave water! Sodas are also very bad for you stomach and body. Noone says so, but I found it to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by tofattoride View Post
    OK Wes, I want to know a few things from you.
    1) How tight were the OTSR on you?
    2) How much do you weigh before you went on the trip?
    3) I don't think you were but were you denied any coaster for size?
    The only OTSR that was tight on me the whole trip was the Intamin one on Wicked Twister. It was tigth on my stomach and they had to push a little to get the belt to lock.

All the B&Ms I rode were loose on me now and I could get several clicks.

I probably weighed 255 at the time I left and was about 249 when I got home (yes I lost that much on the trip!).

I was not denied any coasters or even any flat rides this trip!

I'll probably regret posting this, but here's me this week in one of my cycling outfits. It will give you a better idea of how I'm built than looking at me in street clothes.

Brian if you post this in the staff forums I will hunt you down!!!

But you know what? Frankly I don't care anymore. If someone thinks poorly of me because I wear spandex or ride a bike, that's their problem. I look and feel so much better than I did 2 years ago, screw them. I know I'm not Lance Armstrong, but I look 100% better than 2 years ago.

And also a quick note to "tofattoride" you are putting your faith in God and that is the right place to put your faith. There's been many a time I had to pray myself into or through a workout. God will help, but you have to do the work. I rode about 5 miles this morning and it's getting almost automatic now like I don't even think about the peddaling anymore. Gives great time for prayer (I keep my eyes open, thank you Brian ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cycle07.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	15701  
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

^ not a chance, sir. I'm too proud of your progress.

Also, after last weekend, I can say that I have personally benefitted from your progress- your being able to ride everything made my weekend more enjoyable.

Now, if you want something to laugh at, I'll tell you of my misadventures during my last two workouts.

Wednesday, I strained my back doing deadlifts. Nothing terrible, but the whole point of doing lots of deadlifts (not a fun exercise) is to make my back stronger so this sort of thing doesn't happen. Minor strain, I finished that set and the set after it. But I still feel it a few days after.

Yesterday, I was using the squat machine. One time when I extended, my right knee hyperextended, causing it to have 370 pounds pushing it into the overlock position. Ouch! Again, a minor injury. It only hurts now if I hyperextend it.

I thought this stuff was suposed to be good for me!

I'm almost afraid to go Monday. I might get on the elliptical and my head may fall off!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

Well I finished off the day yesterday with a total of 7.7 miles I walked. I woke up this morning and did another 3 miles. I am seeing an improvement in my body for sure. I do trust God in everything. I am a Christian first. I know that is not a popular thing these days but I can not turn my back on Christ after the changes he has made in my life. I trust him to put me back on the right path weight wise. I know Wes you said that I have to do the work and I understand but it is God that gives me the will and the ability to get out there and do it. Not to mention the ability to not go to Pizza Hut buffet and eat my way out!

_________ Poster GeorgiaSchorcherfreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    ^ Great job dude! Best of luck to you! One word though, skip the sodas (even diet) and switch to water! You'll miss them for a little while, but soon you'll only crave water! Sodas are also very bad for you stomach and body. Noone says so, but I found it to be true.
    Actually I am wanting to do a cut down on the cola eventually possibly to maybe one a week at most. The hardest thing for me hands down though is going to be either the cola issue or fast food.

My parents frequently get fast food and less than a mile from my house is a Subway, Hardees, and a Central Park. A little farther in the other direction is KFC.

When the weather cools down I am hoping to start some biking. When I get a membership to a gym I am wanting to start builing up my biking endurance as well because I found a great ride today and would love to do it on a bicycle.
    Last edited by GeorgiaSchorcherfreak; 06-23-2007 at 09:14 PM.
    Always ride each roller-coaster like it may be your last one. You never know when you will get to ride another one. Date of last coaster ride 10-30-2010
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Which ever one I am at or am going to next

I open this to anyone. Those that are loosing weight, what are you eating. I will start it off by saying my diet is simple. I eat whatever I want as long as I don't go over 1200 cal a day and I try to keep my fat about 20 grams or less. I also drink only water and never drink less than 1 gallon a day. I am now at about 2 gallons every day. I know some people will disagree with the diet because we all have are own ways that work for us. I know that you have to bring in calories to burn them or your body will store them because it thinks it is starving. I have been under a 1000 cal a day because I work outside in the heat and I don't eat that much when I am hot. Not to mention being on the diet. As you know I dropped less weight last week then all the other weeks. I know as I get smaller I will need to do more to loose it as fast. Thats why I have started walking so much. I also think I will eat closer to 1200 calories if I want to or not. I think that will help. So I ask others what are you eating and drinking and how much of it?

Wes do you Mnt bike or road bike?

^^ You'll find though that drinking bottle water is much easier than it was 10 years ago.

Most places, even McDonald's offer bottled water instead of a fountain drink with your meal.

They don't really promote it, but many of them have it.

Wes do you Mnt bike or road bike?
    I'm a road biker. Mt Biking really never appealed to me. Plus the simple fact that the roads around my house are ideal for tranining. Charlotte is very much a rolling hills type of city, once you get out of the city proper.

My diet (on good days):

Breakfast

2 eggs (egg beaters, not real eggs), 1 slice of cheese scrambled (at home) 6:00 AM
    Cup of fruit and yogurt (I love Breyers) 8:00 AM
    If I get hungry, healthy morning snack 10:00 AM

Lunch is usually a turkey or chicken cold cut sandwich, with mustard instead of mayo, wheat bread only (white bread is bad for ya) and a slice of cheese.
    Baked chips instead of fried
    A fruit, usually unsweetened apple sauce.

Dinner, usually just a sandwich or something low in fat like a ceral bar. If I get hungry again, something small again.

This comes to about 1500-1600 calories.

As you can see my diet has a balance, protein, carbs, dairy, all things your body needs. And yes, a little bit of fat too.

When I eat every 2-3 hours like this, my metablism stays reved up all day long.

Also, most Americans eat backwards. What I mean is that most people eat a small breakfast, bigger lunch and a HUGE dinner. You should actually flip that literally. Big breakfast, smaller lunch and even smaller dinner. That's the way your metabolism works, fast in the morning (you've been on an 8 hour "fast" while sleeping) and then it slows down through the day.

Hope this helps! And best of luck.

At this rate we're going to lose about 5 members, and not lose member count lol

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Yeah, I was wondering about the biking issue because I once rode all the time. My best friend races for team Land Rover and is very good. I want to get back on the bike but I need a few more pounds off. I was on a bike when I had my wreck that was the start of this fat explosion! What bike do you ride and did you have any issues when you were around the 300's riding? In other words did your frame snap

This is the only one I could find in a quick google, but even though this one is from the 70s, the Le Tour model still looks very similar.

The Schwinn Le Tour, while probably heavier than most of the expensive bikes, has lasted me about 8 years and I've never had any problems with it.

I changed out the seat and the pedals (to clipless pedals) but otherwise it's pretty much original!

And no... you aren't going to break it. You'd have to be about 2 tons to bend steel! I'm joking, but you'd have to weigh a LOT to bend steel.

Brian resident "steel worker", tell us...when does steel bend?

And as far as riding...I didn't really get back into riding until I was probably about 270-275.

I could ride and all, it just wasn't as comfortable as now. Plus the more weight you got, the more you have to pedal up those hills!

Which is probably why I've got big calves now!

It's all good though, you'll have to retrain your body to like exercise...and eventually it will.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1schwinn2.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	15702  

Bikes these day's are made of aluminum and not steel. I think a steel one would be fine but these new ones seem so thin. I am not saying all bikes are aluminum but most are. I will ride again but I agree with you I need to be to about 270 or so. I could ride now if I wasn't so scared of getting hurt again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Brian resident "steel worker", tell us...when does steel bend?
    When the forces upon it are greater than it's strength.

And I'm no steel worker, I'm a metalsmith :P

There's actually about a gazillion (or so) variables involved. I'll go ahead and say this: a 320 pound guy won't bend a bike like yours using it on roads. Even if he got crazy, what would give would be the wheels.

But, Toofattoride, you can always go for a mountain bike. They're biult a bit stronger than road bikes. The tradeoff is that the wider tires offer a bit more rolling resistance, and they're a bit heavier than a road bike, so you'll have to work a bit harder to get them up to speed, but working is your goal, here. At work, our facility is 750,000 square feet, and they give us three wheeled bikes to ride around and carry tools with. Nobody else uses the one I prefer beacuse it's harder to pedal. I figure why not get a bit of a workout while working? And, with mountain bikes, you can spend lots of money like kyle (whose bike cost more than my first 5 cars combined) or you can get one at a garage sale for 50 bucks or less. I got mine new from Meijer for less than 200 bucks, and it's fine for me- and It would take 500 pounds without bending, unless the person worked really hard at it.

Biking is awesome exercise. Outside of the gym, it's my favorite by miles.

Toofat, your diet sounds so familar- that's almost EXACTLY what I did. I didn't so much count calories. my philosophy was "High protein, reasonable carbs, VERY low fat, and at least a gallon of water a day. That's not the end all-beat all of diets, it's what worked for me (and similar to what's working for you) Some things work for some people, different things work for others. Some people lose lots of weight on Atkins, I gained weight on Atkins.

Also, the diet I mentioned is very similar to what I do to maintain my weight loss. I use that diet Sun- Thursday, and let my self go a bit on weekends. I keep close watch on the weight and body fat %, if either starts to rise, then it's back to the diet full time until I'm back where I want to be.

Of course, Wes can attest that those rules are off the table when I'm at an amusement park. When at a park, I don't make a hog of myself, but I eat what i want, when I want. Of course, when I get home, I get on the scale, and if I've gained, it's full-on diet until I'm back where I belong.

Hey Guy's,
    I know I said I was not going to weigh today but things changed and I was able to. I am down to 324.5 that means I have lost 53.5 lbs! I lost 7.5 lbs last week. I will not weigh next week at all. The gym that I weigh at is closed all week so the owners can go on vacation. When I go in two weeks my goal is to be at 310lbs. That is 14.5 lbs in 2 weeks. I also am going for a 299lbs by the 19th of July. I know my goals are lofty but I can do all things thru Christ which who makes me strong. I have another problem for you guys. My trip that I was going on is still on but the guy and I that are going had never rode a launch coaster. We planned this trip so we could go on one together. Well he is on a missions trip right now (he is a pastor) in Canada and on the way back they are going to SFGA. So I don't want to go to a park he just went to so we thought we might plan a different trip for the same days. Were do we go? We can leave after church on Sunday night but have to be back by Wednesday at 4. We will be leaving from either NC or SC depending on were we are going. So what do you think? I will weight to here. Last year we did CP so that is out.

Here Come the Irish! SheikraTTD's Avatar
    You could hit Busch Gardens Europe and Hersheypark in two days. I dont know how far you'll drive but what you did last year was pretty far(CP). Or Dollywood and SFOG if you havent been there.
    go rays.(69-57)
    GO IRISH! GO BULLS! GO COLTS! GO BUCS!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Well we were planning on BG Hershey never really impressed me from what I have seen. Besides if i went to Hershey forget the whole diet thing. I still want to be at 215ish by Christmas!

Does anyone else have any ideas?
    Last edited by Brian F; 06-30-2007 at 04:13 AM.

Hello,

Back from BGE and my 3 rides on Apollo...oh and 3 on Griffon .

Griffon restraints are pretty roomy and despite what their speal is, they will let you leave loose articles in the station(all piled on the floor).

But basically I'd say Griffon is easier to get into than a B&M Invert. It's similar to the floorless restraint to me. I got 2 or 3 clicks, even wearing a fanny back as well.

Just watch what you eat, try to eat more natural and organic foods. Avoid foods with HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in them. That stuff is bad news. It's in Ketchup and tons of other stuff. Drink lots of water (but you don't need 8 glasses a day) and get at least 4 days of exercise a week.

You need to mix it up on the exercise too. You need some weights, free weights are fine. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn in a day. But you need cardio, weights and try to be as active during the day as possible.

That was my hardest part was not sitting in front of the tube/computer all night. Or if you are just going to a store across the parking lot, walk! Don't drive over there! It'll save gas too!

Hey Wes,
    Did you have an issue on Top Gun when you were at your largest? What is your opinion on my trip? Would you change it and if so were would you go?

^ Yes. When I was around 300 they had to either put me in the "big boy" seats (which they don't have anymore) or have two people jump on the restraints to get them to lock. And it wasn't very comfortable like that!

Honestly, this is just me but I think you're going to be so close to fitting, so why not wait until next year? It's not like the coasters are going anywhere and then you'll have more time to lose weight.

But with about 40lbs lost now (I'm assuming) you might be able to fit ok. How big were you when you went to CP last year?

It's taken me a good 1.5 - 2 years to get to the point I am, it's not easy. And you really shouldn't force your body to lose weight really fast anyway. It's not healthy. But I know everybodys body is different.

Here Come the Irish! SheikraTTD's Avatar
    Does anyone else have any ideas?
    You could go to Kennywood as well. We did Kennywood one day last year. Slept. Than drove the 6 hours to BGE. You could do it backwards.
    And I think you can take 77 all the way back down to the Carolinas from Pittsburgh.
    go rays.(69-57)
    GO IRISH! GO BULLS! GO COLTS! GO BUCS!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

And a good thing is that Kennywood is much easier on bigger people too.

All of the woodies are pretty easy to get into. If you can fit a PTC train with the buzz bars (the one big bar not the individual ones) then you'll probably fit all their coasters.

Phantom is a weird restraint, but seemed that if you were bigger it would be ok to get into. I saw a very large guy getting off it before us.

The only thing about KW that is hard to get into is the Intamin drop tower. They are the tightest restraints to get into. Everything else is a piece of cake to get into. I say BGE and KW!
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Well Wes, I have lost 53.5lbs so far. I have been working out and eating right. I remember that I went to Carowinds a few years back and rode everything. I wore a black shirt that I am now in again. My point is I will be about 270 when I go. I don't think I will have an issue at 270 do you?

^ If you ride the Intamin coasters you probably will, depending on your height and how you're built.

But most coasters you'll probably be ok. If I could fit Top Gun at about 280ish, then you probably should be able to fit most everything.

Just a reminder I will not be weighing in this week. I also was really looking to you guy's for some help with were to go on my trip. I am still open for ideas!

I also forgot to mention this as well. When I went to CP last year at about my largest I did get into max air. When I got on I got the OTSR to click like one or two times but the little green light never came on so I was denied. My point is to see if that gives you an idea of how tight things were at my largest. Is the OTSR and seating on Max Air about the same as on Top Gun or say the other rides that I will go on at BG or SF if I still go there? Let me know your thoughts.

Admin edit: Please do not double post on the same day. - Wes

Is the OTSR and seating on Max Air about the same as on Top Gun or say the other rides that I will go on at BG or SF if I still go there? Let me know your thoughts.
    Yes, IMO they are very close to the same tightness. I think the B&M inverts like Top Gun might be just a little more snug, but it's due to the belt and not the restraint itself.

You can get 2 clicks, but if the belt won't lock then it's a no-go.

On Max Air I got it clicked and the belt locked but the green light didn't come on so it was a no go. Wes any Ideas on the trip?

Kennywood seems a bit of a haul from BGE, I'd suggest BGE and KD.

They're only an hour apart and these would be your coasters and "issues" to me:

BGE:
    Big Bad Wolf - no problem (OTSR)
    Loch Ness - no problem (OTSR)
    Alpengeist- this will be your tightest fit, if you can fit on Alpy then you can ride anything in the park.
    Apollo - Tight, but see Alpy.
    Griffon - Probably the biggest of their B&M restraints and the easiest of the 3.

Kings Dominion:
    Flight of Fear & Italian Job might both be very easy, or very hard to fit into depending on how tall you are and how you carry your weight.
    Volcano is a bit tight since it's an Intamin, they even had to push down a bit on mine to lock the belt.
    Avalanche, I say it's easy but the restraints push right on your stomach so it might be a problem.
    Ananconda, no problem (OTSR w/ seatbelt)
    Grizzly, Rebel Yell & Hurler - All standard PTCs with the individual lap bar. Should be your easiest to fit in.
    Shock Wave (standup)- The thing sucks, so it's been ages since I rode..no idea how tight it is, but I think it is pretty tight.

That's just me, looking at travel as well as fitting in the most coasters possible.

If you can fit on Alpengeist or Volcano, then you should be good on all the other coasters.

Well I am going to either Carowinds or SFOG on the 15th of August I know you said if I fit in Top Gun I will be fine on anything. What about SFOG what would you say if I fit in there I will be fine in BG or SFGA?

^ Batman is just as tight as Top Gun, so I'd guess if you fit on it you'll be fine on most everything else. Scorcher is a standup and tight, depending on how the restraint and belt come down on you.

This is the first year Vortex (Carowinds) hasn't been a problem getting into.

Too bad the ride still hurts my nether regions.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast