Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Too fat to ride!

Wes I thought you would like to see my bike. I just had bigger slicks put on it 38mm I believe and thorn proof tubes. It has been well over a year since I have been on it but I now feel safer to ride with 68 less lbs. Thought I would see what you thought. Nothing fancy but nice enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04Sirrus_l.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	15744  

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    Go ahead and ride- you're not big enough to hurt that bike.

And keep doing what you're doing- you're gonna be riding them all in no time!
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

^^ cool bike. Keep riding!

It's take me the better part of this year to get my legs really back in shape where they don't complain every time I go out and ride (unless it's my hard route I do sometimes). lol

I guess the devil is worried about me succeeding, these stupid teen boys drove by me the other day call me a fat a$$ when I was out riding. In the old days that would have sent me into depression, but not these days. That just made me ride even more.

They'll be old and fat one day too. lol
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Hey don't let that bother you. You go out and do your thing and just enjoy the ride. Thank you the Lord I just walked 7.2 miles and feel great!

I looked at the date and I notice that it is one month from Sunday till I go to Dollywood. Will I have any issues getting my butt in any of the coasters or rides?

Tennessee Tornado is very forgiving of larger riders. If I remember right, Thunderhead is not as roomy as TT, but still pretty accomodating. Mystery mine was built since my last visit, so we'll have to ask Wes about that one.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

Mystery Mine is pretty easy on bigger riders.

Thunderhead will be your tightest fit and when I was 300, I barely fit in it. Now I get 2 clicks.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

What do you weigh in at now Wes? You said you lost more weight on your trip a few weeks back!

Another picture of me. Same place same clothing just about 8lbs smaller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	15745  

_________ Poster GeorgiaSchorcherfreak's Avatar
    I wish I could find my scales. If I could I would weigh. My pants are starting to feel loose. Plus the exercise is helping me out.

Back in May I went to Desoto Falls in Alabama and walked some steps down about 60 feet to an overlook of the falls and had a difficult time making it back up. Yesterday I went to the great Smoky Mountains and was able to take the mile walk from the parking lot to Clingman's Dome and back (1/2 mile uphill from the parking lot to the tower then another half mile back down to the parking lot) with relitivly any problems. I did stop once or twice on the way up to rest and a couple more times to take pictures but had it even been April or May I doubt I could have made it to the top. My reward for getting to the top was a rather clear view (which is rare for the summer)

I still have a long way to go but after being able to make it to Clingman's Dome yesterday with little problems I have some new encouragement that I can get back into good shape. I am hoping to by next year be able to make it all the way to Mt. Leconte.
    Always ride each roller-coaster like it may be your last one. You never know when you will get to ride another one. Date of last coaster ride 10-30-2010
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Which ever one I am at or am going to next

^ Good job man keep it up. How much do you weigh?

Let me rephrase that since you said you don't have a scale. ABOUT how much do you weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSchorcherfreak View Post
    I still have a long way to go but after being able to make it to Clingman's Dome yesterday with little problems I have some new encouragement that I can get back into good shape. I am hoping to by next year be able to make it all the way to Mt. Leconte.
    Man, oh man- you're making me miss home so bad!

We're going back in October, and I plan on doing the LeConte hike (among many others)

I always miss my mountains when I'm not there, but that post just makes me miss them more.

Quote Originally Posted by tofattoride View Post
    What do you weigh in at now Wes? You said you lost more weight on your trip a few weeks back!
    249 right now, back in April when I was at Dollywood I'd say about 255-260 but not sure exactly. And also remember that I'm big in the legs and arms, bigger than an average guy.

I think you should fit, the good thing about the GCI trains is that you can kinda pull your gut over the restraint and get your click. lol

It's really strange how you lose weight. I've lost a lot in my arms and legs and such and now my bicycle helmet is starting to get a little loose now as well.

You'd think you would just lose in your mid-section, but your body puts fat everywhere.

And to the previous post above (GeorgiaSchorcherfreak) I know what you mean!

I walked and walked at Cedar Point in June and never really got tired...back in April I hiked the Tallulla (sp?) Gorge in Georgia, which is something like 900 steps or something insane.

My stamina is way through the roof these days.

I have lost a lot of weight in my chest. I thought that I still wasn't loosing in my waist to much but I checked and I have lost about 5 inches. Lord willing I will be at 79lbs lost by this Thursday.

15 short minutes from Carowinds (thank you 485)
    Good luck!
    Carowinds! Carowinds! Each Days a Holiday! Everyday is Saturday! Da,Da,Da,Da! Carowinds!

This Year's Top Gun Count: 10
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Carowinds | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunder Road (Backwards) | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Gun: The Jet Coaster

^^ Hope you reach your goal, we're all pulling for you!

Thank you. I Pray I keep going and don't stop. I really want to get to that 79 lbs lost for personal reasons then on from there. But 79 is my next big goal. God has given me the will and the strength and I give him all the honor and glory for it. I have looked deep inside so many times to get this weight off but until I looked up I kept failing. God is good and I have been a Christian for a long time but sometimes he puts you thru so much till you have to look up to him. Weight for me has been a struggle for years but I believe I am getting a grip on it thanks to HIM.

^With that attitude, you're as good as skinny! It's just a matter of time.

^ Yeah, this has been a struggle for me as well and I just have to keep praying and keep doing what I'm doing.

I've been on a plateau for the past month and it's very frustrating. But I'm still working out 4-5 times a week and eating what I'm supposed to eat.

Does anyone know where there is a good caloric intake calculator online?

All the ones I found say I should be eating like 2500 calories a day! If I ate that much, I'd gain all 50lbs back!

Let me share a story with you Wes. I have shared that I lost a lot of weight when I was 20 to be able to get into the military. I was working out all the time. I would go to the gym at 5am and work out hard then go to work at about 8:30am. I hit a plateau and stopped loosing weight. I was sharing my frustration with a older guy at the gym and he gave me this advise. He said go home tonight eat anything you want and as much of it as you want. He said this will shock your system and you will be back to loosing again. Well I wasn't sure but I went home and ordered a large Papa Johns pizza and I ate my fill. I promise you that I got right back in the gym the next day and my weight loose was back to were it was supposed to be. Since then I have done some looking around to find out about this issue. I found that there are many ways to break thru the plateaus. Some being that you drink only juice for one day or fast for one day. Just thought I would share.

Now I have a question. I normally get up and walk 7.2 miles in the morning then eat and go to work. Today my son was sick and he had to go to the doctor. Well this only left me with one hour to walk. I gave it everything I had for 3.6 miles. This got me thinking. Would I burn more calories working out all in the morning or would I burn more calories doing half in the morning and the other half before I go to bed. Here are the 2 schools of thought. If you get up in the morning and work out you would burn all calories from stored fat. If you work out at night then you will burn off all the calories from the day and speed up your metabolism for when you go to sleep. If I did it the way I am thinking I would get the best of both worlds. What do you guys/gals think?

I don't know of a good online calorie intake counter but I just drop to about 500 calories a day less than what I am doing now then go back the next week to what you are doing now then so on and so forth. It is like the "Rotation Diet" but just not the extreme that they say do it but this will get your body wondering what is going on. Also don't forget the calculators that you are looking at normally show you what you would have to be taking in to maintain your current weight at the amount of activity that you are telling it you are doing. You need to eat less than what it is telling you get the weight off.

^ All I know is that I try to avoid working out within 2 hours of going to bed.

As long as I'm done working out by 8:00, then I'm fine. But if I work out closer to going to bed, I have a hard time sleeping through the night for some reason.

And the calculators varied, some were the ones for maintaining others showed what you should eat to lose.

Other funny thing is that I read something about staggering calories to surprise your body. Like you'd eat 3500 today and 1500 tomorrow, etc but still eat the same overall number during the week.

I might just try doing that one night and see what happens at the end of the week.

Dominos...I'm calling tonight!

If nothing but this and my Quest thread, TN has been great for me to find that there are other people like me that are struggling with their weight and finding success. I know I've lost 51lbs, but I'm a very impatient person when it comes to weightloss and I want this stuff off now! LOL

Resident Haunt Fanatic Woodie4-07's Avatar
    Well my aunt lost over 150 pounds over the summer by eating smaller portions and working out daily. If she can do it, I know you can. Good luck and keep on goin.

I would like to say this before I ask my question. I am not gay. I am married for over 10 years and have 3 children ages 9, 7, 5. Wes, I looked thru your picks from BG but I want you to post a picture of yourself from a side view like the ones that I have posted. I am much more broad than you and our belly's are about the same. My question is how thick in the shoulders are you? I have such big shoulders and I know that is going to be my problem on any OTSR. So if you can, post a picture so I can have an idea. Also how is Timber Tower at DW for fitting? What day did you go to BG? I will be there either on a Monday or Tuesday so I was wondering about crowds. It looked empty in your picks.

I don't think I have any recent side shots of myself, I try not to take those on purpose. LOL

I would say I'm pretty broad in the shoulders due to the amount of weight lifting I used to do.

We were there on a Friday and it was pretty dead. Longest wait really was for the smoke house!

Griffon was like 25 minutes at the longest and that was because I wanted the front row.

As far as the different "wive's tales" for shocking a plateau, there isn't any hard and fast rule. What might work really well for one person might not for another (just like diet plans.)

Wes, you KNOW what you're doing is right. When you hit a plateau, you just have to remind yourself that it's only temporary. What you've been doing has worked so well, there's no way it just stops working one day. Your body justs adjusts a bit, and you hold steady for a while.

Not trying to go off topic here but it all has to do with my trip. ON another thread I asked a question about the lines at SFGA in late August this was the reply that was posted. It was a bit off from what I was expecting. Do you guys have any thoughts?

"In late august, all the kids are back home and preparing for school. The park will be overflowing with people, especially with all the deals for tickets(Buy one get one free reels em in)"

"I went there two years ago on that date exactly and the lines were terrible. I would say it would be worth it to get the speed pass, but get there early as they tend to sell out quickly. I arrive usually at open and still haven't been able to get one. Being at the park all day long from open to closing without the speed pass, I would say 6 rides if you wait for KK and ET."

Never been to Great Adventure, but I always hear nightmarish stories about the park in August.

Also remember that that park is smack dab in the middle of a huge population base, NY/NJ and Philly.

Well I just talked to a friend of mine who has two sons that are visiting there Grandparents. He is not happy with them riding the bus 24 hours so I told him that I would go up and pick them up in 3 weeks. They are 15min from MT Oliumpus!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told him that he could pay me for the bus tickets and I would get up there on a Wednesday and would go tot the park on that Thursday and we would head south on that Friday. I will rent a car because I am not wanting to drive my family car almost 2000 miles on one trip. It will cost me $250.00 for a rental then $35 to get into the park and gas. They will be giving $140.00 for gas. So out of pocket for me would be like about $300.00. So my Question is is that park worth the trip. It is on that I would like to do but is it worth $300.00.

Admin edit:
    OK, I don't know what happened there with the spelling sorry. I will try again, Mt. Olympus.

Mount Olympus is worth the trip! Five great wooden coasters all in one area!!! It's a great opportunity take it while you can!
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast