Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Job Projections

2008 Job Projections

What are your plans for the 2008 Amusement Park Season? Are you looking for a first time seasonal job? Are you contining your year-round position? Are you looking for a new position within your company?

My sister applied for the 2008 Spring WDW program. Unbelievably she just got a notice in the mail today saying it will be another 4 weeks before she will be told if she is even accepted.

I personally just finished up my 4th season at Cedar Point working from March 7th until November 16th. It was a very long season but I had a lot of fun. I also met a girl down there and I'm moving to Texas with her. We are looking for apartments in Arlington and I'm looking for a job at (you guessed it) Six Flags Over Texas. If anyone has any information or experiences about the SFOT staff I'd appreciate it.

So what do you plan to do for next year?
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '07 Area Supervisor, Merch, Cedar Point '06 Ride Operator, Batman:TR, SFGAM
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Planning on applying for my first season at Adventureland IA.

Well for me i am going to get a job at Hershey Park and be a ride operator there. I have worked at another park called Lagoon in Utah and i had fun working there so i cant wait for the 2008 season.

If I didn't live too far away from Castles N' Coasters, I'd Probably apply there, despite not fitting in with the Ghetto crowd...

Nevermind that idea, probably the grocery store.
    o hai. i herd u liek mudkipz?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point

I'll be finishing up my WDW college program, chillax for a few weeks in Jerz, then start back at Great Adventure for work crew when that begins.
    I've been real all my life, they confuse it with conceit
    Since I will not lose, they try to help him cheat
    But I will not lose, for even in defeat
    There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens it up for me
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Universal Studios Hollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro

Resident Haunt Fanatic Woodie4-07's Avatar
    I hope to work at Valleyfair when I attend college! (4 years = [ )
    Your leading source to Valleyfair!
    HAUNT - MCBS ~ BCC - CACI ~ MA - CE ~ HSF ~ CDD - 2010
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knott's Berry Farms | Wooden Roller Coaster: Renegade | Steel Roller Coaster: Xcelerator

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    I will continue to work at Disney World until Jan 17th when i set sail for a year on the Disney Cruise Line.

My plan is after the cruise line i would love to work a season at Disneyland Paris but thats a long shot. More than likely i'll go back to Disney World.

Loayal to my own home town. MaGnUmKeLly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    What are your plans for the 2008 Amusement Park Season? Are you looking for a first time seasonal job? Are you contining your year-round position? Are you looking for a new position within your company?

My sister applied for the 2008 Spring WDW program. Unbelievably she just got a notice in the mail today saying it will be another 4 weeks before she will be told if she is even accepted.

I personally just finished up my 4th season at Cedar Point working from March 7th until November 16th. It was a very long season but I had a lot of fun. I also met a girl down there and I'm moving to Texas with her. We are looking for apartments in Arlington and I'm looking for a job at (you guessed it) Six Flags Over Texas. If anyone has any information or experiences about the SFOT staff I'd appreciate it.

So what do you plan to do for next year?
    Hey it was nice working with you and your girl during the invatory stuff.

I might go back to cedar point...not really sure yet. I got a lot of things that are going on at the moment...
    THE OHIO STATE UNIV SUGAR BOWL CAMPS!!!!!!. .
    Here we go Brownies Here we go Woof Woof SCREW PISSBURG!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast At Night..., Jack Rabbit Kennywood | Steel Roller Coaster: MAGNUM XL 200 THE BEST OUT THERE...MAGNUM RIDE OPS RULE....HOOOLLLDDD

Minetrain Poster
    Carowinds Rides Area Manager
    This will be my 4th season.

You have to go back to CP next year. It would be awesome to see you again at CP Kelly if i make it up there next year. It's been since Coastermania 2003 i think.

Ok but you have to promise you will give me a free cruise lol. I been thinking of comming back there to work to. Well Disney wise.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast At Night..., Jack Rabbit Kennywood | Steel Roller Coaster: MAGNUM XL 200 THE BEST OUT THERE...MAGNUM RIDE OPS RULE....HOOOLLLDDD

I don't get free cruises but we get one heck of a discount. something like 75% off i think. It's a huge discount.

I most likely will be back at Disney World in 2009 so maybe you can come down then.

I know i am pulling your chain but i will let you know for sure. You comming up any next year to the point?

As of right now plans say yes but we'll see how that goes. If i do make it it will be in October.

Can't handle the truth Forrest Gump's Avatar
    I'll be an RTL at Michigan's Adventure this upcoming season, my first year in leadership.
    Just posted: 156 photos from Busch Gardens Tampa on Flickr
    Facebook - Twitter - Blog - Flickr - YouTube
    Parks: 23 | Wooden Coasters: 41 | Steel Coasters: 99 | Total Count: 140
    Next trip: Canada's Wonderland, May 14 and 15
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SeaWorld Orlando | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Carowinds 73-03 View Post
    As of right now plans say yes but we'll see how that goes. If i do make it it will be in October.

Ok i let you know if for some reason i get to head down that way....

Minetrain Poster
    Aiming for Team Lead on the Mind Eraser at Darien Lake next summer. If I don't get it, I doubt it'll be worth it to stick around. It'll be season #2 for me.
    The member formerly known as CoasterKid23
    Syracuse University Class of 2011
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mighty Canadian Minebuster | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Second year at alton towers
    RIDE STOP IS NOT A TOY
    Favorites: Amusement Park: dolly wood | Wooden Roller Coaster: anterlop | Steel Roller Coaster: air

Jr. Poster

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

This morning I was watching my local news and saw a report saying that one of my fellow employees did hear the cable snap on the Superman Tower of Power. She said that she screamed out to another fellow employee to press E-Stop.

E-Stop was "pressed" but the ride had already began to fall.
    I'm a employee at this park and I love my job, I saw this girl on my secound day at work when we went around the park with a supervisor. I felt her pain because a week later she did not come back. She says that it was to much for her.

I have reading around theme park websites have heard negative things about ride operators. I'm here to say that I think that ride operators do mostly care about the safety of people. I know that I love my job and love the people who are around it.

It really burns me how much crap people are giving these kids. Blaming them for doing everything they were most likely trained to do. I don't believe anyone has any say in who was at fault or what exactly happened unless they were there, or are in the business themselves. I feel sorry for the girl, but yes I also feel sorry for all of the employees who were there to witness it that day. No one should ever have to witness something like that.

"I quit kennwood and i still fly free" lol my new catch phrase....i worked at the skycoaster and got to "fly" for free...now that i quit, i'll be working at the airport, and still, i get to fly for free...It's soooo great! lol goin from 180' to 33,000'
    Kennywood Team Member 2004 Kiddieland
    2005 Racer/Jack Rabbit Crew
    2006 Racer/Skycoaster/Paddle Boats Crew
    2007 Thunderbolt/Turtle/Gold Rusher Crew
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderbolt | Steel Roller Coaster: Phantom's Revenge

My job has changed a bit. I was going to be on the Disney Wonder but now i'll be on the Magic which i'm very excited about for the longer cruises. I also will be gone for 6 months instead of a year and now i'll be leaving Feb 15th instead of Jan 11th. I was supposed to be gone by now.

If anyone is thinking of a Disney Cruise on the Magic look for me.

I'm suprised the Disney Cruise Line get's completely booked time after time when there are so many other cruise lins that offer better 3,7 & 10 day packages for half the cost or more.

This was in 2004 when we all took a Disney cruise but back then i did some price checking. For all 5 of us on Disney is was around 4,600. On Carnival it was aroud 2,100.

People love their Disney.

Looping Poster
    Congrats on Disney. When did you start with them. The cruise thing sounds fun. What is your position there?
    Please remain seated until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Rye Playland | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL

I started at Disney World in July of 2006. I leave to work on the Cruise Line in about 2 weeks. I will be in Entertainment.

rockin roller coast poster annoyed's Avatar
    does anybody here know if you are a rookie ride op for most parks (and cedar fair parks in particular) if you get stuck with the kiddie rides and sucky rides at first? or Is it pretty even among all levels of seniority as far as what rides you get to operate?

and you do have to be 18 to run rides correct?
    "Everybody claims I'm crazy and go over the edge. But the view is so much better from the edge."
    - Stan Checketts
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: does hades count | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

No, usually your ride location is determined based on what's available and what a manager thinks will suit you well based on your personality at the time of your interview. Such as at Cedar Point, if you say that you like to work with children, are somewhat afraid of heights, and like to work alone, they'll contract you in kiddie rides. If you say you don't like to work with children, you like to work with a bunch of people(crew), and aren't afraid of heights, you'll be contracted on a major attraction. However at Six Flags, all ride ops are originally trained on kiddie rides and then moved to their home location; where this is not a requirement at CP.

At CP in 2006, I was informed that you could be the age 17 and graduated from high school and work in rides. Though I don't know if they switched back since then.
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '07 Area Supervisor, Merch, Cedar Point '06 Ride Operator, Batman:TR, SFGAM
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Carowinds is 18 i think. Not sure if thats been changed since CF took over and at Carowinds you don't get stuck in kiddie rides. Depends on whats open at the time.

Minetrain Poster
    You only have to be 15 to work in rides at Hershey. By the way, I'm going back for my 5th season at Hershey in rides.
    Goodbye Western Chute Out, Hello Fahrenheit!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Not sure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Storm Runner

I'll be visiting Hershey in the fall. I can't wait to ride Fahrenheit. What ride are you working if you know yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast