Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knoebels Flying Turns

Knoebels Flying Turns

Does the new Flying Turns at Knoebels have two lift hills? I have seen a POV video and, if what's on the video is all there is, it's REALLY a short ride.

It actually has three lifts, believe it or not Hank.
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Isn't there the one lift going back into the station?
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Three lifts! That's a lotta up!

Yes the third lift is coming back into the station.
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

I would rather be riding! track_six's Avatar

Smile

I don't care how short it is, I would just like the experience of an old school toboggan formed from wood. I am sure once I ride it I will desire a longer ride, but you gotta start over somewhere.
    R.I.P. Geauga Lake - You will be missed.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast, Thunderbolt, or Jack Rabbit | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200

^ I meant the video was short 'cuz it only showed a portion of the ride.

I can't wait to see this thing finally open up...

I saw it test this weekend! It's a tough ride to photo but I had to really digital zoom through a support to see a train on the lift. The three lifts did surprise me. I was expecting only two.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

We're planning a 2009 trip up there, hopefully it will be running by then.

This thing is quickly becoming the Chinese Democracy of the coaster industry.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I really don't get what's so appealing about this ride. I'd rather ride Disaster Transport or a Arrow suspended coaster any day, at least by looks.
    I'm in love with 30 Rock, Outkast and Maverick.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands Of Adventure

That kind of coaster hasn't been around for awhile and it's been done with the metal/plastic the rest of the newer bobsleds are made out of but if you step into the park and ride their other attractions, feel their vibe of operating the park I kind of understand why they went this route. Heck, when was the last time you did a split lift hill directly underneath the other? That's their rendition of Twister. That's Knoebel's for you.

I was about to pose the question if Knoebels would get a Huss Topspin, starting a new thread but I think very heavily they wouldn't do that.
    Last edited by Leo C; 07-30-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Are they at the point where they could get the State to inspect and certify the ride? I've read about the trains putting too pressure on the wood, the possibility of redoing a helix, making it wider. Do they open the ride as is, put money into it a few years for maintenance and eventually call it a failure or keep engineering through issues and further refine it?

CHILLER, VIPER, most cars seem to have a 10 year life span these days. Join the club?

As frustrated as I've been, Knoebels has now listed a price finally for Flying Turns: $2.50. Maybe it will open some time this season.
    Last edited by Leo C; 03-09-2009 at 08:37 AM.

I liked my cousin's casual vacation pics. She went to a shower and then to Knoebels. It casual because in her set Phoenix is only represented by a pic of the station, something would definitely would not have if we could only take one pic of the ride. The pic of the Flyers revealed something much more about Flying Turns. There are some exposed footers for it is true that they redesigned part of the ride.

Pieces I think for a new train design have come in. I think this wait is as long as it was for Cliffhanger to debut but I'm still in this like we all are. They're done when they're done the park was basically saying.

This thing is such a mess. Knoebels is in way over its head.
    ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Well, at least they aren't giving up. I care about something to be done right, not something to be done fast.

When will Knoebels realize their failure and create the third largest bonfire in the nation? First two big bonfires are the annual Texas A&M bonfire, and the second is the impending Mean Streak bonfire.
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

^ Maybe SOB, too?

The rankings are all messed up. Texas A&M is Number 1, Son of Beast would be two, then Mean Streak. Flying Turns would only take what 1/20 of SOB's size?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
    When will Knoebels realize their failure and create the third largest bonfire in the nation? First two big bonfires are the annual Texas A&M bonfire, and the second is the impending Mean Streak bonfire.
    Why must the current American public lose so much patience?

They just want the bailout.

Is there a possibility to control the wheels of each train they might use a BRAKEMAN? :O
    Last edited by Leo C; 06-03-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Why not just put those slide bags on the thing and let people slide down it one at a time.

Since it seems like it will never work as a coaster.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

You know I never realized how long this coaster has been under construction. This looks like an utter failure if you ask me. I've seen coasters open late in the season or a year late, but YEARS late? Wow! And this isn't even a big coaster or what seems overly complicated either. Soooooo, I think the bonfire will get larger, however I do think the order is wrong too. SOB first (sorry Texas, but I wanna make LOTS of marshmallows), then Texas A&M bonfire, Meanstreak third, and bringing up the rear... Flying Turns. However, while were at it, any new word on Ring Racer? That could be in the drawing too. Only we will need a more intense fire to burn steel!
    Last edited by Antoine; 06-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I just don't understand why you'd build something like this in-house, why not get Mack or someone like that to do it.

Yeah, leave it to the professionals. Granted many rides have been built in house by amusement parks and were successful, but it won't always be the case. This being a prime example.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Prime example? Son of Beast

Rollercoaster Building Company of America, whatever the name was, was a really dummy name for the real dummy company that built Son of Beast.

Which was Kings Island right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast