Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scarowinds 9-27-08 Photo TR

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar

Scarowinds 9-27-08 Photo TR

My first of many trips to Scarowinds was tonight since it was pretty much rained out friday night.

I got to the park about 6:30 expecting a small crowd but had no idea it was really going to be busy. It took about 20 min just to get in the front gate.

Nice Scarowinds banner at the Plaza Stage.

One on the coolest decorations in the park.

The new Cemetery Scare Zone was pretty awesome. Nice layout and some cool decorations.

Tons of fog so it was really hard to see walking through which just made it that much scarier.

Slaughter House Maze. Pretty cool but pretty much the same as last year but it was one of my favorites. I loved the freezer scene. It was really cold in that area then onto the boiler room which of course was really hot.

Dead Inn was the same as last year as well but it has some amazing scenes in it and a great layout and provided the best scares.

Took this really nice shot leaving Dead Inn. It shows just how much fog the park was useing this year which i really liked.

Very nice large graveyard set up in front of Scooby's Haunted Mansion.

My next stop was at Last Laff in the CF section. I was curious where it was going to be since some swings were in the way. They put the maze inside the Action FX Theatre or atleast the area where you exit which i always though was small but the maze was very good and bigger than i expected given it's location. Nicly placed.

I took a picture of these creppy guys cause they scared the hell out of me. Just a few of the many great scares this year by just walking around.

Final Summons was and old haunt but still one of the biggest and best at the park.

Another shot of just how much fog was used.

I got this weird feeling i was being watched all night.

The Asylum was by far the nicest maze and clearly the most money & work went into this maze. An entire facad was built in front of the new building behind Nighthawk. Great Layout and a very long maze.

Now we were coming up on the next new scare zone called Feeding Frenzy which blew me away. I was not expecting a club like theme with loud music and pole dancers. They even had some really good music playing. Just beware the pole dancers are there to distract you from other evil pole dancers waiting to jump out from nowhere.

Last edited by Carowinds 73-03; 09-30-2008 at 07:48 AM.

More fog shots. I love that the park replaces all the lights on Ricochet with red lights. It adds alot to the area and looks nice.

On towards Slaughter House since it was not open when we first walked up and waiting in line i found an old friend. I think he followed me all the way from the main entrance.

Some random shots of all the nice themeing.

This girl hiding in the bridge also scared the hell out of me. I think she jumped down from the roof.

My favorite walkaround. Mr. Pumpkin Head.

Ok so now we headed over to Cornstalkers. This was another totally new maze. It was built in the grass area beside Country Kitchen. This maze was amazing. It was like walking through a real cornfeild. The walkways were very narrow and the corn stalks were about 5-6ft and people jumped out of just about everywhere. This was one of my favorites. Not a very long maze but great for what it was.

The Dream Factory is another maze from last season but this one had a completely new theme and the layout was changed a bit. This was my favorite last year but it was just ok this year and it seemed with the new layout it was alot shorter but again still very good for Scarowinds.

Now it's time to leave. It's midnight and i need to get some sleep so i can do nothing tomorrow. On the way out i took some photos of the entrance and the Scarowinds Herse.

I hate Paramount for putting these medal detectors here. I just don't see why they can't be moved after you go through the turnstiles like other parks. Maybe CF will move them one year cause they totally ruin what a nice & unique entrance we have.

Alien Annihilation was pretty much the same trail as last year but with alot more Scharacters so it was better. It also did not even open until 8pm.

Overall Scarowinds was pretty amazing this year. Maybe not the best ever but by far the best out of the last 4 years.

I was totally suprised they decided to take on 8 haunts this year and they did an amazing job. So many Scharacters were roaming the park this year. I'd say almost triple then the park has ever had. Every house was also full of Scharacters.

The fog was another great part this year. It almost looked like they doubled up on the fog machines. I remeber walking from Carowinds Cafe all the way to the Carowinds Theatre and only able to see about 3 feet in front of me. Most people would say thats overkill but that much fog makes it 100% better.

The lines were not too bad tonight. I waited about 30 min for Final Summons, The Asylum & Dream Factory which i think will be the popular mazes this year. The other haunts had about 15-20 min waits. Cornstalkers had a huge line but when i came back an hour later it was down to 15 min.

If the lines were this long on opening weekend then i can only imagine what they will be like on Halloween weekend as Scarowinds always gets super busy as the weeks pass.

If you do plan to go to Scarowinds later in the season then i'd say hit The Asylum, Dream Factory, Corkstalkers & Final Summons first.

I did hit all 8 haunts just in time. It was about 11:30 when i got in line for Dream Factory and i was out by 12:10. I also got 2 rides on Afterburn, 1 ride on TR & Nighthawk so the later in the season you go it's very unlikely you'll get all 8 haunts done.

I did skip the Dead Awakening show so no report on that so i'll just add it here when i see the show next weekend.

Also Scarowinds has just added Nov 1st to it's schedule so now you'll have an extra 15th night.
    Last edited by Carowinds 73-03; 09-30-2008 at 05:39 AM.

Wow they look like they gave a flip this year and actually tried for a change.

I'm "dying" to get into scharacter 10/11. lol

Hopefully Dani will let me do my story part for a few hours, then let me roam around and experience the mazes later.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Carowinds/HRP South Carolina JEdMc91's Avatar
    Im ready for October 11 to come lol, my second trip to scarowinds. I went last year and really enjoyed it, I just think that they should stay open a lot longer or open a little earlier.

I doubt that would happen. I think 15 nights is long enough. I would like to see it extended as well but highly unlikely.

Cedar Fair is running a tight ship these days, only if they have huge numbers would they extend it.

I think Paramount tried the 1:00 AM thing, and most people went home before the close didn't they? Chris you were there then I think.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I was working that friday they decided to stay open till 1am.

They had to close the gates at 10pm i think cause they were at capacity. Most of the crowd stayed till 1am. If i can remeber that far back i think it was 16,000+ at 9pm and about 6,000 were still in the park when it closed at 1am.

They counted the exit turnstiles to see how many people left between 1am until the park was clear and it was just under 6,000 so a larg bit stayed until 1am but i guess that was not enough to continue the 1am the following year.

It won't be extended. Most if not all of the major haunts in NC/SC as well as HHN alway start and end at the same time. It's just that most other haunts and HHN are open on wed & thurs. If they were ever to extend Scarowinds i would like to see them try wed & thur nights and maybe stay open till 1-2am only on Halloween weekend.
    Last edited by Carowinds 73-03; 10-01-2008 at 01:32 PM.

I doubt they would, considering how much a flop Winterfest was (which I wish they'd bring back). I think they are scared to take a risk these days, and understandably so with the economy like it is.

Winterfest acually broke even. It neither made or lost money but had CF given it that 2nd year it could have taken off. If i remeber correctly Scarowinds did not do so well it's first year.

Winterfest was for one overpriced and Paramount realized that when they cam out with the price for the 2nd year then CF said no and had to refund alot of tickets that were already purchased.

Alot more rides were even scheduled to be open for the 2nd Winterfest like Ricochet, Vortex, Carolina Cyclone, Carolina Goldrusher & Drop Tower. I doubt we'll ever see Winterfest again so back to Scarowinds.

I hope that CF can really turn Scarowinds into a major attractions like HHN. It might take 5 more years to do so and alot of money but my wish is to see it just like HHN.

With such a stand out name like Scarowinds it should be at the top. This year CF clearly went with quanity over quality but now that we have established 8 haunts i think they can all be improved over the next few years to make Scarowinds a major player and get more money and in turn open more nights.

Then we can charge people over $100 for tickets and fast passes.

LOL! $100 For SCAROWINDS?

No. No way in you-know-where would people pay that much.

This ain't Orlando.

Yeah $100 was a little off maybe $60. It's already $42 now.

I wonder how the VIP thing went over last year. I didn't see that they were doing it again this year.

They are doing the VIP ghing this year. I just bought tickets for it next friday.

I attended this thing last night (Oct 3rd) and will say that I was not the least bit impressed with it. This was the first time I had been back to carowinds in a number of years and decided to give it a shot from the pics that I saw Chris had posted. I think there is alot of room for improvement with the people that they hire to scare people. I recall the people over in the rave type scare zone that where all in one place talking while guest where walking through.

If they have any hopes on being as big as Halloween Norror Nights in afew years then they had better get going. I would rate this as one of the worst Halloween Events that I have ever attended. Maybe they need to pick the phone up and call Knotts and ask them for some help with their event.

I agree. There is still alot that can be done. Like i said they just need to keep improving of the 8 haunts and the park scare zones they have now and maybe hire another 100 people. They have to start sinking money into the event and alot of it. I doubt it will ever be as goos as HHN simply because they don't have the money & the creative team that Universal does.

Sadly they went with quanity over quality this year.

I was lucky enough not to see people standing around just talking. The night i went everyone was doing their job and doing it pretty well.

I would love to see them get some ideas and people from Knott's.

I decided to attatch a scan of the Scarowinds map to maybe help others plan their night.

I myself walked by Cornstalkers twice before i realized it was a
    maze but i also didn't get a map when i walked in.

I just was not expecting a maze in that area since it had never
    been used before in the past 8 years.

1-8 are the haunts and 9-11 are the scare zones.

Last edited by Carowinds 73-03; 10-09-2008 at 08:46 AM.

I am heading for here this saturday :-)

Can you give me a hin tof what mazes to do first because of lines and stuff, what are the better ones?

Final Summons, The Asylum, Dream Factory & Slaughter house are the most popular mazes so i would do those first in that order.

Final Summons is located in the picnic shelter and the entrance is beside Rocket Power.

The Asylum is located behind the Nighthawk station.

Then head over to thrill zone for Slaughter House which is located behind Carolina Cyclone and then finally head over to Dream Factory which it located in the middle of Hurler. All 4 of those will have the longest lines of the night.

After that it's pretty much open for anything. I would suggest planning a time for the Dead Awakening show in the theatre. It really is a decent show worth seeing and you get to sit and relax for 30 min.

If it's not too crowded you should be able to hit the remaining 4 mazes as long as you don't ride any rides. If it's super busy you might not be able to do all 8 with or without seeing the show.

I went last year, went on every maze except the dream factory, I rode runaway reptar, carollina goldrusher twice, hurler, kalediscope, vortex, scoobys haunted mansion and maybe 1 more ride plus the freakshow and had some time left before closing, i was just wondering for this year cause it seems to be more crowded

It has been alot more crowded this year. Usually that first weekend or two it's pretty dead except this year.

As you can see i went on the 27th of sept and those 4 mazes i mentioned had about 30 min waits each which in years past i was able to ride 4-5 coasters and do every maze atleast twice.

This night i just made all 8 mazes and that was with riding Afterburn, Thunder Road & Nighthawk and yes all 3 coasters were walk-ons.

If i would have skipped the rides i could have seen the dead awakening show but i wen't back to see that and on my 2nd visit i was not able to hit all 8 mazes before closeing.

I'd say attendance is way up this year for Scarowinds and we all know as the weeks go by the more crowded it will be.

WEll I went last night and had a great time

We managed to get on these rides, Ricochet, goldrusher, kaleidoscope

We got on the mazes, Cornstalkers , The Asylum, Final Summons, alien annalation, last laff and it was time to leave, 12:30AM

The other mazes (slaughter house, dream factory) had way too long lines)

The best maze I got on was Cornstalkers

Carnstalkers was a really fun maze. The park really did that maze well but i guess you can't really screw up cortstalks.

Glad you had a great time. Hopefully you return for a second visit to hit Slaughter House & Dream Factory.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterdave View Post
    Maybe they need to pick the phone up and call Knotts and ask them for some help with their event.
    Thats funny because durring my trip to Scarowinds yesterday everyone told me everything implemented at Scarowinds for the last 2 years come from Knott's.

I now know why my haunt friends call it "Not Scary Farms"

My friend Jessica just got back from Knott's last week and she said it was nothing. She mentioned the mazes were good but they had no ending.

The last room is supposed to be the best room and the first room is supposed to be the 2nd best room and she said all the haunts had no good end room.

We went to Scarowinds last night and she said Carowinds is pretty much the same. No very good ending rooms.

Sounds like Knott's & all CF park haunts are on the same page.
    Last edited by Carowinds 73-03; 10-20-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Scarowinds VIP Pass

We are going this weekend. It is my son's birthday, I am purchasing the tickets for him and his friends, they are 15, is it worth the extra money for the VIP pass for the food and the 2 private tours?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

I got to see the VIP thing and if you are looking to save time doing the mazes, then I'd say yes. You get at least 2 mazes done before the public comes in, and maybe a 3rd as well.

I didn't get to eat with the VIP folks, so I'm not sure how good/bad the food is.

Alien Annialation seemed to have the longest line of the night, which is strange that they didn't do that one on the VIP tour.

I believe it's worth it. I did the tour twice and as wes said you get 2-3 mazes out of the way but you also get to see a bit more indepth on the inside workings of a haunt which is very cool.

The food is basically hot dogs, burgers, baked beans, chicken and more.

If you plan on going saturday since it's the last night they are doing a buy one get one ticket free promo so that would save you enough for the tour.

Remeber to bring a Coca-Cola can to get the free ticket.

I'll also be one the tour that sat night with some friends.
    Last edited by Carowinds 73-03; 10-29-2008 at 01:43 PM.

I didn't get a chance to go this season. I heard it was good.
    I still miss Winterfest. haha
    I just really hope that you think of me, because I'm tryna be unforgettable...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point -- Islands Of Adventure -- Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum XL-200 & Phantom's Revenge

WOW.... It's been a while Brooks. I hope all is well.

You still have 3 more nights to try and make it.

I really miss Winterfest too.

Smile TKS Carwowinds....

Actually I called about the special buy one get one free and they stated that is not valid for the VIP passes you have to pay regular price. That is why I was wondering if the VIP was worth the money because I wouldn't get to take advantage of the buy one get one free. There will be 8 people so that is quite expensive however I want them to be able to get as many tours in. As busy as Scarowinds has been 7-12 is not a long time for long lines. Also, takes 20 -30 minutes just to get in the gate at 7.

I really appreciate your quick reponse. Great to know people are equally as genuine to new posters.....

I think they open the front gates early, about 6:30. So as long as you have your tickets you can go ahead in and wait until they drop the rope.

In fact I saw some of the monsters "working the crowd" before they dropped the rope on 10/11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast