Thread: Why is TN going back to popup ads?

James

Why is TN going back to popup ads?

After years without them.. Why did TN think it was a good idea to start using them...again.

What web browser are you using? I am using firefox and seem to never get popup ads on this site or even any site in particular.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    We never re-included pop-up ads. If you are getting them on your computer, you very likely have some spyware in your computer.

I have Firefox, and while I have Adblock Plus and my popup blocker disabled on this site (for that very reason), I NEVER get a pop-up.

Trust me... you will know if we ever re-enable pop-ups or pop-unders, because we won't be secretive, and we will justify the reasons at that time.

By the way, I would've re-worded your question about it... instead of accusing us of returning them, a simple question like "Did the popup ads return, and if so, why?" would suffice.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

James
    Well I'm using Firefox and I only get them when on the forums... And its a got radical zoo as the URL. Sometimes they popup.. and sometimes I get the FF bar at the top saying its blocked and ad. I'll screenshot it if it happens again. (about 4 times in the last 2 weeks or so)
    Last edited by James; 10-28-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Work had some internet access today. It came up on IE, not the typical Firefox I use right now at home.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Also, get the bottom ad.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

I'm seeing them now too. Might be attached to an AD in one of the AD networks we are using. I'll try to find it.
    Follow ThrillNetwork on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
    Favorites: Amusement Park: IOA | Wooden Roller Coaster: Cyclone, CI | Steel Roller Coaster: Nitro

James
    Here's a screen shot of one I JUST got - http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/2753/popupaq4.jpg

If you're viewing them on the main site, we need them WITH the top and bottom ad and links to them, along with the shot of the popup itself (which you have to allow). Showing us the blocked warning does not help us at all.

The reason being is that our ad software does not serve popup ads. All it does is manage the 3rd party ad sources and allow local tracking (Burst, Fastclick, Google to name a few).

James
    Ok, well I have one right now. In a second browser. What do you need? Just a screenshot of the banner or what.

For the last time... and read what I said...

- Screenshot of top ad when you got the popup
    - Screenshot of bottom ad when you got the popup
    - Screenshot of the popup ad itself

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Here's a screen shot of one I JUST got - http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/2753/popupaq4.jpg
    You have another tab open too, so that sorta voids your claim, or at least makes it 50% less valid.
    Thornton to Heatley all day, every day.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mean Streak | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Definitely... you shouldn't have any tabs, or any other windows open when that happens.

James
    Other tab has nothing to do with the popup. As the popup only...pops up when on TN. -- WTF its an ad FOR Firefox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pop.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	16418  

That is strange. I can't reproduce it on my end. I'm looking through everything I have access to regarding that, and I can't find one thing that would be causing it to issue popups. The Firefox campaign was strictly a banner campaign, and had no way of doing popups for that type.

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    My computer is 6 years old, on it's last legs, had a major crash last week due to spyware (still not completely recovered) and I use IE.

I have never seen a popup on TN, nor has anything on TN ever triggered my popup blocker.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.