Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle Music Park: Prev. Hard Rock Park

The most narrow part of Time Machine faces that highway too. I can't imagine the rust on the running rails.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I think what killed them more than anything else was their season pass prices. For most parks to succeed, they need the income stream from the locals. My boss lives in MB, less than 5 minutes from the park and they never went because of the prices. They never felt welcome by HRP as a local - the park seemed to think 'if you build it, they will come...' By the time FMP came along, they did start trying to target the locals but I think it was too late.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

FMP though got that message though and lowered their daily tickets to like $19, not sure what the season passes cost but they weren't $150 like HRP.

I think HRP left such a bad taste in the locals mouths, that they didn't even bother to check out FMP the next year.

I still don't get the no reride policy of that park either. Both times I was there it was dead, and they still didn't allow rerides.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Yeah, I think it was too late by the time FMP took over. If they had started the park with their pricing I really think the outcome might have been different...

On the other hand, I don't know that a park like this can every succeed in MB. That town is really strange.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

I'm with you on that. Myrtle Beach officials seem like they want to kill the place and turn it into a corporate family resort town and get rid of anything that had any fun or character about the place.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I give it no chance at all of surviving at this point. I gave the Hard Rock brand the benefit of the doubt and thought it might garner enough interests out of tourists and locals to succeed, obviously that didn't happen. Now at this point I just don't see any redeeming ability for the place to succeed... My idea to save the place was ditch the entry fee and make the place into a pay-per-ride, eating & drinking and shopping type location.

This story just won't die. According to the article below, FPI bought back the property from a foreclosure auction at a price of $7 million and is looking for an operator for the park. They want to have the park open for summer 2012. The good news is that they have continued to maintain the park over the last 2 years while it has been closed.

I think they need to reconsider their business model if they want to survive in Myrtle Beach.

Third time a charm for theme park in Myrtle Beach? - Business - TheSunNews.com

I'm glad the rides run every once in a while. I don't want the rides to get frozen in position.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

According to myrtle-beach.com, the owners, FPI, have several groups interested in the park and if they can get them on board soon, they hope to be able to reopen the park by summer 2012.

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm still not convinced that Myrtle Beach can support a standard type amusement park.

I'll be happy to see it reopen as I like the park a lot, but I agree I don't see that the park can ever succeed where it is located and as a gated park.

Rick might be in Myrtle Beach in the days to come. I joked with him maybe he could give us a Time Machine rusted rail analysis trip report but then I recalled it might be a lil too far out of his way from the town.
    Last edited by Leo C; 12-26-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Here are some pictures that I took this past weekend. Other than some overgrown landscaping, it actually looked pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2152.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	19367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2159.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	19368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2160.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	19369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	19370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	19371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	19372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2167.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	19373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2169.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	19374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2174.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	19375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2175.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	19376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2177.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	19377

Wow it all looks like it could open up without much issue at all. If it reopens (again) I'll support it if they are reasonable with the ticket prices again.

I'll do the evening though, as Leo and I found out how hot that concrete makes the park feel during the day.

Wow Rick you rock. Thanks for the New Years gift. There's basically no rust in this rust report. That Vekoma mine train is probably my favorite mine train in this country.

I basically agree with Wes. it needs some landscaping work.

Wow, those cars are so small compared to Time Machine's elements.
    Last edited by Leo C; 01-02-2012 at 08:28 PM.

My pleasure. Some day I'll have a better camera with a higher powered zoom lens so I'll be able to get better shots than this.

Sweet! Thanks, Rick!
    -Termination complete-

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood

Discover Myrtle Beach reports that Freestyle Music Park was sold. I don't know if this is good news or not for the park.

In the last week I heard it was the Outlet mall across the street next to 501 that was sold. From what I understand the border of the park area is the ugly outlet mall then across the street is another mall plaza that may have been an expansion of the first mall that's now used as part of Freestyle Music Park as an arcade and park offices, then the park itself. I wish the Outlet mall closest to 501 was demolished. Do people really have a clue other than the B&M coaster sticking above the two shopping centers there's an amusement park there? It has to be the power of the Medieval Times name that brings people to that location in that complex. There's no way people just stumble upon that.

Okay, sorting it out: a group that used to own the park owns the ugly shopping mall now. The Discover Myrtle Beach article is saying another group bought the park itself last year. All these names of different companies involve a "F" in it. It's now called FPI US LLC, the purchasing group of Freestyle Music Park. There was in fact then two transactions in the neighborhood.

i was just looking at an old Mrytle Beach map at the library today coincidentally. It still had the tourism reds dots in it saying: The Pavilion, Waccamaw Pottery Outlet, and Fantasy Harbour. This saga is so long and sad I could now spell Waccamaw without any effort. Looking up the Waccamaw Corp the Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waccamaw_Corp. said a group name 3W LLC bought the ugly frontage mall this past December. It originally was supposed to transform into a Paradise City entertainment complex. http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...-waccamaw.html This article explains the sale of the ugly mall closest to 501 and future plans.
    Last edited by Leo C; 02-16-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Myrtle Beach theme park won't reopen soon | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

According to this article, the park will stayed closed as the owner(s) haven't found an operator yet. *cough* Herschend *cough*

From what I saw on a forums for Myrtle Beach this park could re-open. However, I wouldn't put black ink on it yet.

Freestyle Signs $20 Million Mortgage w/Foreign Lender - Discover Myrtle Beach Message Board & Forum
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

I sure hope that it does. I'm gonna be down that way this summer, and I wanna get back to the park.

I do too. I thought it was a nice park, just needed more rides.

From what I've been reading, if it does open, I wouldn't expect it to open until 2013 at the earliest.

Wonder if they will come up with a marketing plan to make this place more attractive, because simply opening it again with the same mediocre rides just isn't going to cut it.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

^ Exactly. FMP hardly did anything except drop their prices and start a new website.

They need:

A: A major ad campaign
    B: A major sign on 501 to tell you where to turn, and then large signs after that directing you into the place. If I hadn't googled it before driving down there, I'd never have found it easily and I've been to Myrtle Beach many times.

If you miss the turn off, it's a major pain in the butt trying to get back becasue you have to drive about half way to downtown and then turn around.

Weird: I just pulled up the park on Google and there was a "Wesley Street" that ran through the property before. lol
    Last edited by Wes; 02-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I do too. I thought it was a nice park, just needed more rides.
    And you said shade too.

America needs its best most modern mine train coaster back.

They need billboards as simple and clearly marked like a South of the Border billboard. At least one HD billboard. It's a big cluster of road and business at the exit right before the 501 crossing over the waterway.
    Last edited by Leo C; 02-18-2012 at 01:39 AM.

^^Yeah you are right about that Wes. Outside of Alton Towers, this is probably one of the most difficult amusement parks to find and I even had a navigation system too. If it wasn't for Time Machine being so tall, I would have kept passing by the park. It just got annoying having to drive what seemed like 50 miles down the road just to turn around. I honestly don't think this park can survive, but I would like to at least see them put some effort into it though.
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Hard Rock Park Placement = Fail

I came in late, but how many times will we get teased? What they need to have is a serious investor, one with the capitol to really make it shine. It's shameful to see it.

Did Sally ever say they were going to redo the Moodly Blues ride somewhere? I think a small park like Fun spot could benefit. Think of the crowds!
    MF count 2006:18

I like coasters.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast