Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kings Dominion announces Intimidator 305

Kings Dominion announces Intimidator 305

Kings Dominion announced Intimidator 305, a nearly milelong gigacoaster, for 2010.

Intimidator 305 will be 305 feet tall, drop 300 feet at an 85-degree angle and reach speeds of 92 mph. It will be 5,100 feet long. The ride will cover 5 acres and f... Click here to read more...

Looks pretty cool. Too many turns and not enough airtime hills, but I guess that's all they can do in the space they have. It still looks very cool the way it is.

I have Steelers fever rckrazy06's Avatar
    Looks good, but I strongly feel the OTSRs are going to ruin the ride for a lot of people. Those are some sick lift supports to.
    LETS GO BUCS!!!!!!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force - Cedar Point

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    Needs a HANS device.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

I'm surprised it took so long for another park to build a giga. 10 years!
    ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Hats for (Carousel)Horses Racer's Avatar
    ^^Haha! Good idea. I've been waiting for one of those on a NASCAR themed coaster. Actually, I've just been waiting for a NASCAR themed coaster beside Speedway Draft at NASCAR Speedpark in Sevierville.
    ThrillNetwork SpeedZone Editor and unofficial DB Editor
    Please stand with your feet flat on the... stand up.. no- why are you sitting??? STAND UP ON THE GEORGIA SCORCHER!!!
    2014 Coaster Draft: Leviathan, Banshee, FullThrottle, Aftershock, GoldStriker, DareDevilDive, GeorgiaScorcher, Tatsu, SheiKra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath(SFOG)

Also, the name Intimidator has a similar sound and feel to Dominator. Don't know if that's on purpose, I know the rides are far from each other but still, the two newest coasters.

Either way, I like the layout the more I look at it. It's not a lengthy out and back coaster with a lot of hills but instead it's a short, twisted, fast ride. I'll have to get to Virginia next year for sure, I haven't ridden Griffon yet.

James
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Kings Dominion announced Intimidator 305, the tallest coaster on the East Coast, for 2010.
    So are we just ignoring Kingda Ka now or something?

Upsidedown Rider Johnny Upsidedown's Avatar
    I dont get this coaster, personally not what I expected from Cedar Fair. Its like they said give us the big drop and some lame a$$ turns along the ground. I really had hoped that they were going to put an end to Superman being on top. Figured they would have gone with a giant drop followed by a 200 foot hill then along the ground for a turn around and back for a few hills with a large spegetii bowl like Superman. Instaed they make a big drop and then well, ground turn then a none air time hill becuase it will be just lik MF, slow with a little pop sometimes. Then a bunch of turns and a break.. Heck I would have been happy with this,, Goliath (Walibi World) Goliath at Walibi World.
    Johnny Upsidedown's Roller Coaster Website
    www.Johnnyupsidedown.com
    Stop by and take a look at lots of coaster photos, construction and trip reports.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Tampa | Wooden Roller Coaster: Kentucky Rumbler | Steel Roller Coaster: MF, Montu

I have Steelers fever rckrazy06's Avatar
    Yeah well seeing as Kingda Ka is never open anymore, I guess it doesn't really count.
    LETS GO BUCS!!!!!!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force - Cedar Point

James
    100% agree with Johnny.

I looked at the layout and I think it looks interesting. Have they given the heights for each individual hill and turn? They don't look like big hills in comparison to the lift hill so I'd expect some airtime...or hope for some anyway.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

It looks like a correction for Hypersonic XLC, the Hypersonic done the Intamin way. I wanted a Piraten clone for Carowinds at least and this is what I got but at Kings Dominion. I agree with Johnny I would very much have liked a Goliath clone from Europe. I'll take this and the fact that Bizarro, the ride formerly known as Superman: Ride of Steel, at SFNE should be well protected now. I don't think its reputation should be challenged much by this.

Restraints: PLEASE don't chop my neck like on Maverick. This level of intensity might finish my neck off. I like the first turn on S:ROS SFA but it's done with lap bar.
    Last edited by Leo C; 08-20-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Intimidating Poster! Carowinds 73-03's Avatar
    Bad idea to theme it to him. My guess is it will crash at some point.

Looping Poster
    ^Oooooo---burn!

Big thrills. Small hills. 89magnumxl200's Avatar
    Maybe it's just me, but this looks like the love child of MF and Maverick. And what the hell's the point of the OTSR anyway? Why would you put OTSR on a non-inverting, primarily speed and airtime coaster?

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

I like how we're finally getting another Giga...and everyone is complaining.

You know how it is Kyle, people are never satisifed. As soon as they hear about a new ride, they want to rip on it and can't wait for whatever the next big coaster announcement is. And they'll wait with anticipation...so when the day comes, they can complain about that new coaster.

Repeat cycle.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

James
    ^ Yup thats totally how I am.

There's a difference in "ripping" on it.. and just wishing they had pushed the design more.

Wooden Poster

Another 180 feet

It is a shame they couldn't add another 180 feet and gone for a full mile. Oh, well, looks like fun.

I don't know what anyone is complaining about, this ride looks great and any park would be happy to have this as an addition to their lineup. Is it me or has the TN crowd turned on cedar fair?...
    Intimidator 305 the tallest, most hated coaster nobody has ridden...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millenium Force

I think it'll be a Prowler of a giga. I'm still going to ride it.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    ^ Yup thats totally how I am.

There's a difference in "ripping" on it.. and just wishing they had pushed the design more.
    You're assuming I'm talking about you?

I'm saying that in general, people aren't satisfied. Trust me, I'd call you or anyone else out if someone said something I really disagreed with. My problem with people complaining is that Intamin looks to be building a great coaster for Cedar Fair/Kings Dominion. The ride isn't even close to be finished yet nor has anyone been on it yet. How about giving it a chance first?

Also, I do see a lot of critisism towards Cedar Fair as a whole. And while no park or chain can be considered "perfect", I think Cedar Fair has been giving us some great attractions over the last decade and not just at Cedar Point. Compare that to Six Flags where only a few parks have gotten anything worth mentioning.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME

I was totally right about my first drop into a first hill perpendicular under the lift like Piraten guess.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    So are we just ignoring Kingda Ka now or something?
    Corrected. And, yes, I was ignoring Kingda Ka.
    ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

I'm glad it was corrected. Kingda Ka is the world's tallest rollercoaster indeed - 456.

Yea, I actually like the layout on this coaster. It looks a lot like a mega-lite, almost like a giga-lite. Got the speed and the hills but not the length. And that's a pretty gnarly first drop.

I think the hill through the lift is underestimated. I'm looking forward to seeing that now.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterlove View Post
    You know how it is Kyle, people are never satisifed. As soon as they hear about a new ride, they want to rip on it and can't wait for whatever the next big coaster announcement is. And they'll wait with anticipation...so when the day comes, they can complain about that new coaster.

Repeat cycle.
    Yeah I remember a lot of people complaining about Diamondback looking boring when they announced it last year.

I guess I should prepare myself for Wednesday when everyone says Carowinds' coaster will suck.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    ^ Yeah, I'm sure there will be someone who has ridden 300+ coasters that are less than 30 feet tall that will complain without giving any specific problems. But think about it- does anyone take that kind of person seriously?
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast