Thread: What makes a coaster enthusiast tick?

Exclamation What makes a coaster enthusiast tick?

Yes, I am really asking our members this question! As a special feature idea, I wanted to do a write up about why people enjoy coasters and thrill rides for different reasons. For instance, why some people LOVE Son of Beast and some just HATE it. Everyone has their own opinion and I want to hear what it is!

I am going to post what I want you to answer here in the forums. I would like you to copy and paste it into an email and email it to me (Katie@thrillnetwork.com). I will use all answers in this special feature. If you have any questions, please post it here!

What elements make up a fantastic coaster or ride?

What makes a ride so terrible you won't ride it again?

What do you use as a factor in rating the coasters or rides you have ridden? (Airtime, speed and so on!)

What park would you go to over and over again and never get tired of it and why?

What do you think is the most overrated coaster you have ridden? (For example you heard so many good things about this ride and when you got off the ride you felt underwhelmed.)

What is the worst stero-type you exude when going to your favorite park? (park shirts, coaster count on each ride, etc.)

Please be very detailed when writing these to me! I want more then one sentence. I want to show the people that read this site what our members are made of and what we bring to the community!
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I'll say roughness, because I won't EVER ride Viper again. I'm not willing to sacrifice my ears!
    Last edited by Antoine; 06-29-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Fix the quoted message

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Yes, I am really asking our members this question! As a special feature idea, I wanted to do a write up about why people enjoy coasters and thrill rides for different reasons. For instance, why some people LOVE Son of Beast and some just HATE it. Everyone has their own opinion and I want to hear what it is!

What do you use as a factor in rating the coasters or rides you have ridden? (Airtime, speed and so on!)

what do you think is the most overrated coaster you have ridden? (For example you heard so many good things about this ride and when you got off the ride you felt underwhelmed.)

Please be very detailed when writing these to me! I want more then one sentence. I want to show the people that read this site what our members are made of and what we bring to the community!
    I personally think that roughness, and forcelessness would be factors that turn me away from rides. Saying that, I rate the rides I've been on mostly on Gforces/airtime, and smoothness.
    I think that the most overated coaster i've been on would have to be Behemoth at canada's wonderland. Many people told me it was butter smooth, but after riding it in many places, I noticed that the only good seat was the fromt...And of course, being the front, it always has a long line. Behemoth is one of those rides b&m actually failed at, which is somthing very rare.
    B&M...
    Just another word for EPIC!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CW (Canada's Wonderland) | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mighty Canadian Minebuster (Canada's Wonderland) | Steel Roller Coaster: Tie: Skyrider (Canada's Wonderland) Mindbender (West Edmonton Mall's Galaxyland)

psyclonerider I have to disagree with you on that one about Behemoth. It was my first B&M coaster and I rode it on opening day, rode it three times. Since that day the experience may have changed but Behemoth was the coaster that made me want to ride B&Ms all over. While it's not my favorite B&M, it did launch in my opinion the Hyper Coaster "wars". But that's a conversation for a place not on this thread. Message me if you want to know why I don't think it's a fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    psyclonerider I have to disagree with you on that one about Behemoth. It was my first B&M coaster and I rode it on opening day, rode it three times. Since that day the experience may have changed but Behemoth was the coaster that made me want to ride B&Ms all over. While it's not my favorite B&M, it did launch in my opinion the Hyper Coaster "wars". But that's a conversation for a place not on this thread. Message me if you want to know why I don't think it's a fail.
    I felt the same as you my first time on behemoth, but after riding better rides, it's certainly not the best. Also, as I said before I don't like roughness, and that's what bugs me about behemoth, it's only smooth in the front row
    B&M...
    Just another word for EPIC!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CW (Canada's Wonderland) | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mighty Canadian Minebuster (Canada's Wonderland) | Steel Roller Coaster: Tie: Skyrider (Canada's Wonderland) Mindbender (West Edmonton Mall's Galaxyland)

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    I'm sorry to say I won't be able to meet this request.

Pacing, directional changes, a mix of positive and negative forces.

Crowds, poor maintenance, predictability.

Direct comparison to similar rides

What park would you go to over and over again and never get tired of it and why?
    Geauga Lake was there. Cedar Point hasn't been very thrilling lately. Hersheypark is fun but not frequently repeatable. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is probably my #1 right now.

What do you think is the most overrated coaster you have ridden? (For example you heard so many good things about this ride and when you got off the ride you felt underwhelmed.)
    Fahrenheit and Raven.

What is the worst stero-type you exude when going to your favorite park? (park shirts, coaster count on each ride, etc.)
    Free cups of water.
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

Theming. To me, a great ride has a theme or story set around the ride. This is why I love Disney and Universal so much, their rides start from the minute you enter the line and don't finish until you exit. Sure, I love the speed and height that comes with some great roller coasters, but when a ride has some theming and I actually feel like I've been transported somwhere else, it makes the ride 100x better.

I don't think there's any ride I wont ride again. Yes, there's some rough ones out there I really don't like, but if I'm at the park, I'll ride it once.

A couple factors.
    1. The most important - Did I like it? If I had fun on it and came off with a smile on my face and the thought in my head that "hey, that ride was awesome!" it'll be rated higher for me.
    2. Again, theming, sotry, and landscape. Was there a theme or story carried out through the ride? Did the park put any effort into placing their ride or just plop it down in the middle of a parking lot? It may not affect the ride itself, but I like parks that look good as well, so if the park put an effort into making the ride look good, it makes it a better experience for me.
    3. Airtime. I love the feeling of floating out of my seats on a good ride.

Tough call. I've always been a Canada's Wonderland fanboy, so I'd probably have to say that. They have some good coasters, a really good collection of flat rides, and actually take care in making their park look good. Besides that, stick me in Florida and I'd be happy going to all the parks there non-stop. The parks there have everything I look for in rides and theme parks.

Wildcat at Hershey Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan F View Post
    Wildcat at Hershey Park.
    It's not my fault they put those abomination trains on it! PTCs made that ride great...

F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

^ I'm actually going to argue the oposite. I think it's better with flyers.
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

Flyers inherently staple riders in the most uncomfortable positions. PTCs have spring-loaded restraints. Tracking is irrelevant when you're pinned.

F CF

I didn't like with PTCs and I hated it with Flyers. Both times were unbarably rough.

Plenty of airtime. If a ride has lots if airtime I will ride it over and over again.

An unbearably long line is typically the only thing that would keep me from trying a coaster more than once. Or if its so rough or boring I don't think its worth a second try. For example, when I rode SOB during its last version (with the G-trains, minus the loop) after one front seat ride I was done, it was both so rough and in general terrible I knew my time would be better spent anywhere else in the park.

By far above anything else airtime. After that I would say a general feeling of the ride being out of control, as in having a constant barrage of elements with little time to react or think about whats happening. And lastly I would say smoothness, if a ride isn't smooth enough that it isn't re-rideable I won't rate it very highly.

Six Flags America. I can truthfully say I did this for years and years. I had a season pass for more than a decade and rarely took more than a week or two break between visits. For a local living only 30 minutes away its hard to imagine a much better park, really. You currently have a really good intamin hyper, an underrated classic out and back woodie, a vekoma flyer, a premier launch coaster and a GCI twister all with extremely little to no wait 99% of the time.

Lightning Racer comes to mind. Its a good ride (both sides are), but its never really impressed a great deal.

I almost always wear a coaster/park shirt while visiting parks. I also make sure its not a ride at the park or typically in the immediate region of wherever I'm visiting.

Minetrain Poster
    What elements make up a fantastic coaster or ride? I like height, speed, and inversions. But I'd rather spend my time in a well run and cared for park instead of day-tripping the nearest place.

There aren't any coasters I wouldn't get on again. Spinny rides are the only ones that have made me queasy, so I do those in moderation. Been more or less avoiding Sky Rides since I got stuck on Cedar Point's (I'm actually afraid of heights, but being strapped in to a coaster car gets me over that right quick.)

What do you use as a factor in rating the coasters or rides you have ridden? (Airtime, speed and so on!) Speed and smoothness of the ride.

We always seem to gravitate back towards Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It's five hours away but the rides and shows have kept us coming back for more.

What do you think is the most overrated coaster you have ridden?
    (For example you heard so many good things about this ride and when you got off the ride you felt underwhelmed.) Space Mountain. Coming from a non-riding family, it used to be the 'big' ride to do at Disney. Still a fun ride but nowhere near the coaster experience of TTD, Millie, or Alpengeist.

What is the worst stero-type you exude when going to your favorite park? (park shirts, coaster count on each ride, etc.) I wear park shirts, usually from 'other' parks. Got a lot of black BGW shirts that I can wear to CP without fear of heatstroke!

Teh Band

Themeing to the ride is what makes it good. Like Back lot stunt coaster,Flight of Fear,Flight Deck,Maverick and Top Thrill dragster.

For myself, the coaster to be fantastic has to be smooth, gain lots of airtime, comfortable cars/restraints while feeling safe. The lift system has to be very secure as well, if I feel the lift is rough or not safe I most likely won't ride again.
    As far as rides go, anything spin and puke and I'll ride, if its not pulling too many g's I'll re-ride.

Slowness (i.e. ferris wheels), if it is known to breaking down, or has broken down on myself several times.

I use a combination of speed, smoothness, and airtime. I sometimes point out some elements I like as well.

Waldameer Park, PA===small park, free parking, shorter lines, decently priced food, cheap wristbands.
    Holiday World, IN===family oriented, fairly large themed areas, free soda and sunscreen, friendly staff.
    Disneyland, CA===It's where the magic is, and working there made it even more magical. It's Disney, need I say more?
    Cedar Point, OH===it's my "home" park, and just been a part of my life for so long.
    Kings Island, OH===after yesterday (read trip review) I would gladly go back over and over again.

Top Thrill Dragster===15 seconds and its done.

Ride count, and park count
    I brag about places I've been and rides I've been on....

Xtreme Coaster Enthusiast
    Finding my way in the world, and riding some awesome coasters while I'm at it!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Waldameer, Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead, Ravine Flyer II, Colossus, Raging Wolf Bobs | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback, Maverick, Magnum

Comfy seats, comfy restraints (can't enjoy a ride if you're uncomfortable, right?), a smooth track, a layout that doesn't have a lot of "dead" time where you're just not doing anything, good length of ride, and I absolutely LOVE being flipped upside down, so give me lots of corkscrews and stuff!

Painful seats or restraints, being too rough/being banged around, a ride cycle that's so long you wanna barf, unpleasant forces or elements (eg, I can't stand spinning, or really forceful air-time hills (Superman ROS, I'm looking at YOU).

If they can combine fun with comfort, I'm a fan for life! I want a comfy seat/restraint and a ride that makes me laugh, not scream in horror, and I'm good.

Knoebels (great wooden coasters, awesome dark ride, amazing carousel, family atmosphere, tons of flat rides), Hersheypark (great selection of wooden and steel coasters, family friendly), Dollywood (again, family friendly, great assortment of coasters, classic dark ride, lots of flat rides). Just give me a family-friendly park with lots of family-friendly coasters, and I'm happy.

Superman: Ride Of Steel. I screamed in absolute terror the whole way through, so much I thought I would faint or throw up at the end. I made myself ride it 5 more times, to try and get used to it, and I still hated it; I will never ride again. I hear so many people say it's a great ride, but... no thanks. I wouldn't say I was "underwhelmed" but I sure hated that thing lol.

I'm the person who forgoes all the shows and restaurants and other distractions, I go straight for the coasters, I don't stop, I don't slow down, if you're slow, I'm leaving you behind. I go from one ride to the next, don't stop me, don't get in my way, I'm not there to see performers or play arcade games or eat, I'm there to RIDE.

Last edited by vrf19977; 10-05-2013 at 10:35 PM.