Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BGW 11-12 Verbolten-Mach Tower

Jr. Poster

BGW 11-12 Verbolten-Mach Tower

The local paper had this article:

Busch Gardens files application for new thrill ride - dailypress.com

The key part being

Park officials filed an application Tuesday with the county's planning department for height restrictions waiver for a "new ride not to exceed 260 feet above ground level," the county Web site said. Griffon is 205 feet high.
    Love for my Home Park. Shame the BBW had to go for this to be put in.

It's about time they did this.
    260 feet surprises me, I never thought they would push anywhere too far past Griffon's height. But if the park is going for it then all right! can't wait till next season.
    Sesame Street characters at Busch Gardens Europe!?
    Take THAT Magic Kingdom!
    Verbolten: 43
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Gwazi (Lion) Busch Gardens Africa | Steel Roller Coaster: The Loch Ness Monster

260 feet... what the heck would they build that height that they don't have already? They already have a hyper and a Dive Machine. The only other things I can think of are either an S&S 4D or a second attempt at a hyper woodie. A Giga coaster is obviously out of the question, because, well, it's "only" 260 feet.

Isn't Apollo's Chariot somewhere around 170 feet? I think they'd be able to get the drop to be 40 or so more feet, but 260 is still a solid height.

It makes some sense considering what's next door as well. Let the speculation begin, I suppose.
    "Hey Mark!"
    Favorites: Amusement Park: BGE | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro SFNE

for a single tower thrill ride that would not exceed a height of 260 feet.
    Sounds like Busch is finally purchasing a drop tower.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Quote Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
    Isn't Apollo's Chariot somewhere around 170 feet? I think they'd be able to get the drop to be 40 or so more feet, but 260 is still a solid height.
    Yes AC is only about 170 feet off the ground, but it drops below the the base of the lift hill on that first drop. Like Wes said, I think it may be a Drop Tower too, although they are in desperate need of another coaster too. If it is a coaster, I am thinking a wooden one, possibly an Intamin Prefab. If not that, an Intamin hyper similar to Thunder Dolphin. But a Drop Tower would be an awesome addition. I still say that KD's Drop Tower is the BEST ride in the park (granted, I havent ridden I-305 YET) so BGE getting one would be great.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Jr. Poster
    Arrrg, I hate it when the newspaper just edits an article I've already read, significantly. That article is twice the length now as when I posted it.

A drop tower would be cool, I've never had a change to ride one. Would prefer another coaster though.
    I should be at Busch Gardens....
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Steel Roller Coaster: Griffon

Looping Poster
    Speculation on TPR is that it will be an Intamin indoor drop tower like Mystery Castle at Phantasialand. The speculation of it being an Intamin comes from the fact that it looks like BGT may be getting an Intamin and that Intamin is known for doing package deals. I guess the indoor part is based that Busch will probably put some type of theme to the ride.
    Also, it doesn't look like this will be BBW's replacement so I guess we won't see a new coaster until at the very least 2012.
    Personally, not being a huge drop tower fan I want a coaster NOW!

I never too much liked the Daily Press just for lack of common sense within articles. At the bottom they list "roller coasters through the years" and what came in at 2005, DarKastle, which they have listed. Uhh.
    Take THAT Magic Kingdom!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Gwazi (Lion) Busch Gardens Africa | Steel Roller Coaster: The Loch Ness Monster

A themed indoor drop ride would be really cool!
    Get the Coaster101 Android app. Learn about Unique Ferris Wheels.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Hershey Park | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: Apollo's Chariot

Mystery Castle at Phantasialand is an awesome ride too. Although it is not as high or fast as Intamins other drop towers, it makes up for it with the theme. If you ride it at the right time, it is done in pitch blackness. If that doesn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what does. Not to mention all the moving creatures throughout the line before you get to the ride. It was one of my favorite drop towers. Oh and it's not just a 'drop' tower either.... You are blasted into the air and there are lots of mini drops. It truly is a remarkable ride. I would love to see BGE get something similar.
    Last edited by Antoine; 04-28-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Jr. Poster
    And here's the actuall application with the city:

CaseTrak-Case Details

Hearing on June 8th
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Steel Roller Coaster: Griffon

I couldn't help but have this really funny thought to laugh if it turns out to be an Observation Tower. Highly unlikely but I did have to bring it to light.
    Take THAT Magic Kingdom!

Jr. Poster
    The application does specify "thrill ride"

The Speculation from TPR does not come from the fact that there is an Intamin contract. It is because the parent company of Sea World Parks, Merlin, owns Mystery Castle. Money is on a copy (not clone) of Furious Baco for BGA which would make the BGW ride a copy of Mystery Castle. They (Merlin) are just taking ideas from their other european parks and bringing them here to the states

But a coaster doesn't have a "single tower".
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Yes, very true, unless (and I HIGHLY doubt it) they just need a permit for the highest point on the ride which will be a 260 foot tower and all other towers are lower than that. I know some amusement parks need certain permits because of their proximity to airports. But I still think this is going to be a Giant Drop though, even though BGE really needs a new coaster.

^IF it is Superman The Escape, it does.
    Ask me why I say Banshee is NOT the new Kings Island coaster.
    Be sure to check out Speedzone as I have made 11 additions.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, circa 1989 | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (CP) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (CP), never been on Drachen Fire

Actually everyone, it is not going to be a roller coaster. according to many reliable sources, it will be a drop tower ride, but indoors like the one in Phantasialand. So this would make much more sense than a coaster as well as fit all of the rumors going for nearly a year.
    2011 Parks To Visit:
    Lagoon Amusement Park: Season Pass Holder | Six Flags Discovery Kingdom: Late July/Early August | California's Great America: Late July/Early August | Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Late July/Early August
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disneyland Park | Wooden Roller Coaster: Terminator Salvation: The Ride (SFMM) | Steel Roller Coaster: X2 (Six Flags Magic Mountain

Andrew- On a side note, love your tag about obama.....you got jokes

I read about a possible small spot for a freefall tower. I'm all for it, not going crazy over it but it will bring my non ridden attractions list to three: Griffon, Grover coaster, and this.

I made the thread title a little more realistic.
    Last edited by Leo C; 05-05-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Question

What else could they really even do?
    WHO SAYS THE SKY'S THE LIMIT, THERE'S FOOTPRINTS ON THE MOON.
    Visit http://www.shootmealink.co.nr

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Expedition Everest

Build a gallows for whose ever idea it was to scrap the Big Bad Wolf?
    "I'm going off the rails on a crazy train"

I guess I'm a OS X, Windows , Solaris 10 , Linux, and Unix fanboy. Did I miss any OS?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Wild Adventures, Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Starliner | Steel Roller Coaster: Big Bad Wolf

BGW Ride Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by rider-x View Post
    The Speculation from TPR does not come from the fact that there is an Intamin contract. It is because the parent company of Sea World Parks, Merlin, owns Mystery Castle. Money is on a copy (not clone) of Furious Baco for BGA which would make the BGW ride a copy of Mystery Castle. They (Merlin) are just taking ideas from their other european parks and bringing them here to the states
    Actually the company that owns Sea World Parks & Entertainment is not Merlin, but the Blackstone Group. Blackstone Group owns Merlin as well, but Sea World and Merlin are not connected otherwise.

How did I not catch that. But yeah, to add on to that, the 10 Busch parks were under the company name Busch Entertainment Corporation which was a subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch and then for the short stint with In-Bev. Blackstone bought that entire company which has since been changed to Sea World Parks and Entertainment.
    Take THAT Magic Kingdom!

A flying coaster over the old Big Bad Wolf site I think could embody some of the ride's old spirit. It would work for me.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I personally do not understand the hype that flyers have been getting lately. I do not think they are fun at all, but I guess everyone has their own opinion. People will also call me crazy for saying I'm not much of a fan of Griffon because its SO short and Apollo because it doesn't have any thrill to it at all, but Alpengiest on the other hand is almost as good as Afterburn!

All I hope is the new ride has a cool theme, because Busch Gardens advertises like there is no tomorrow where I live and if I had to hear Forest of Fun's "Come one, come all, big and small!" commercial one more time I would be tempted to throw my television. Hahaha. It will be interesting to see what they get next year. I'm not expecting an indoor drop tower, maybe it will be similar to Doctor Doom's Fearfall at IOA, that would atleast be different from KD. Busch needs something that pushes the limits, and I think this is their chance, if they use Intamin.
    Last edited by Intimidator 305; 07-24-2010 at 12:26 PM.

^^If they put in a ride similar to Doctor Dooms Fearfall, I may just boycott BGE myself!!! Out of all the drop towers and space shots I've been on, that one in particular has been the most boring one. Now if they put in an indoor drop tower similar to the one at Phantasialnad, I'm all for it because I loved that ride. I felt the same way about flyers as you and I guess a part of me still does feel the same way. However, I'll have to put Manta in a class by itself because I thought it was an awesome ride and I think something like that would go well at BGE, especially swooping down by the buildings like BBW did. That would make a good ride even better. Griffon I think is a great ride, even if its' a one (two) trick pony. It is still enjoyable, although it is rather short. I'm not sure HOW you can say AC does not have any thrill to it though. I mean although it is not my favorite hyper out there, it is still an awesome ride overall. It is a can't miss ride everytime you are there regardless of how many times you have ridden it in the past. Now Alpengeist has always been a sour note for me. I mean it is a good ride, but I am sick and tired of the slow dispatch time on that ride. Maybe I go there on the wrong day (or wrong 7 days so far) or something, but I don't understand how a train can climb 195 feet, negotiate nearly 4,000 feet of track, hit the final brakes and the next train STILL isn't ready to be dispatched yet. That has always annoyed me with Alpie. That is also the reason why Montu has ALWAYS been the better inverter of the two and my all time favorite inverter overall. But regardless of what BGE puts in the park, I'm sure it will be good. I hope it is a coaster because when you only have 6 of them and you take one out, the reason for visiting becomes less attractive.
    Last edited by Antoine; 07-24-2010 at 03:30 AM.

I'm totally not for the loading situation of a flyer but the loops are super G crushing fun. Manta after a afternoon lunch of wings and beer displayed a real rush and gracefulness at the same time coming down into the first corkscrew. The moments may be few but I hope a new flyer could have some strokes of genius without alcohol consumption for enhancement.

I don't care if there is already an Intamin gyro down the street, they should still get one.

I'm not a fan of AC's quirks but it is still a B&M hyper with all the speed and air that comes its way.
    Last edited by Leo C; 07-24-2010 at 11:04 AM.

I just think that since they got rid of a wild family ride (BBW), that they would probably replace it with something family oriented, but the 260 feet thing really isn't showing signs of that... unless they do a ride similar to Doctor Doom's Fearfall.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast