Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Son of Beast Reopen in 2013

A Hyper Poster

Will Son of Beast Reopen in 2013

Does anybody have any clue as to if Son of Beast will ever reopen, and if so, when. Hopefully if they plan to close it for good, they dont leave it standing for the doration of the 2011 season, because I have not been on it, and having it sit there would just be rubbing it in peoples faces.

As far as I heard and this was a while back mind you. From what I understand Cedar Fair wanted to see how the Timberliners run on Voyage before they decided to do anything with the ride. I also heard that they contacted Gravity Group and Intamin to look at what they could do by re-modifying the ride.

They have put a TON of money into that ride. They have two options: Take the massive loss and have a huge empty space in the park or wait, re-modify the ride, add Timberliners and watch it back in action within in a year or two.
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Invested a ton of money in the ride is right. I read somewhere that the price of Son of Beast after all the modifications has reached over $30 Million. Off hand, I don't know of any roller coaster in the United States that costs that much for the track, train, and supports (The $100 Million Expedition Everest is mostly on theming). At some point Kings Island is going to have to make a decision on what to do because a ride SBNO for 2 years is never good for it. They will have to see if the risk is worth the reward. I mean I'm sure Intamin or Gravity Group can help to fix it, but at what cost? Will have to weigh the pros and cons. All I know is I'm tired of going to Kings Island and seeing that huge lump of lumber doing nothing! I've yet to ride SOB and my gut tells me we have seen the last of this ride. Question is when will Kings Island answer our suspense and give a decision on what is going to happen to the ride?
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I think they're weighing their options between different manufacturers, I strongly doubt anything will happen to it this season. I think next off season we will see the ride altered in a big way by another manufacturer or taken down.

Not only could I see it with Timberliners, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Rocky Mountain Refurb on SOB either. I think if they could do it on Texas Giant, they could do it anywhere.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

The only problem I see with that is the Texas Giant refurb was a $10 million project. I'm sure the refurb on SOB will cost more too. Is Cedar Fair prepared to spend a total of well over $40 million total on a roller coaster that has constantly gotten mediocre reviews? It will be one of the most expensive coasters in history that has spent a large part of its' life SBNO. It will be a very risky investment that could blow up in their face.
    Last edited by Antoine; 02-08-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

SOB will need some major work imho. But I think if Cedar Fair was going to scrap the ride, they would've started doing that off season 2009/2010.

Speaking of timberliners, when are those things going to run?????
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I don't know, it is hard to guage some parks and if they will scrap a ride. Rides like Drachen Fire, Viper (SFGAdv), and Flashback come to mind. They sat for years before they were scrapped. I know Busch Gardens was looking for a buyer for DF before they gave up on the idea. The ride is going to need some work on it if they do decide to open it again. But I think if it doesn't open this year at all, we might want to get the matches ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    The only problem I see with that is the Texas Giant refurb was a $10 million project. I'm sure the refurb on SOB will cost more too. Is Cedar Fair prepared to spend a total of well over $40 million total on a roller coaster that has constantly gotten mediocre reviews? It will be one of the most expensive coasters in history that has spent a large part of its' life SBNO. It will be a very risky investment that could blow up in their face.
    I think they would. A $10million investment doesn't seem bad when you can put $30million investment back into use. Sure they could scrap it for the materials but that would mean they were writing off the investment in the rides continual upkeep, marketing, and intellectual property. I agree the coaster is mediocre at best but I also think it's iconic and heavy sought-out by those who never got a chance to ride it. I'd have to think that right now they're waiting to see how the Timberliners and Rocky Mountain Refurb play out.

I don't if it's possible with the RM Refurb, but I think it would be a great move to try to get that loop back. That's all I seem tohear the GP talk about, "This thing used to have a loop?" I think they're would be huge potential to market the loop's return.
    Last edited by Marcus; 02-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    '11 Area Supervisor, Merch & Games, Michigan's Adventure '10 Area Supervisor, Games, Michigan's Adventure
    '09 Area Supervisor, Merch, Michigan's Adventure '08 Area Supervisor, Merch, Six Flags Over Texas
    '07 Area Supervisor, Merch, Cedar Point '06 Ride Operator, Batman:TR, SFGAM
    '05 Front Desk, Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas, WDW '04 Sales Associate, Merchandise, CP
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Knoebels | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

It would then take two years to get looping Timberliner trains. hahaha
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

The loop would be possible maybe if it got the Texas Giant treatment because it's pretty much a steel coaster after that anyway. However they couldn't call it a looping wooden coaster....well...maybe they could. I don't know.
    -Termination complete-

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Speaking of timberliners, when are those things going to run?????
    Last I'd heard, they had been successfully tested with people on them. Nothing since.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

I hope it does reopen so I can see what the ride is like. It has eluded me everytime I've gone to KI. I just wonder how much they are willing to invest in it. But on the bright side I highly doubt it is as bad as crappy rides like Viper (SFGAdv) and that thing they call a coaster named Cheetah at WIld Adventures. Now that is a ride I wouldn't mind seeing torn down although I hate to see any coaster go. That one would be an exception.

Viper @ SFGADV is still the worst ride I'd ever been on but SOB last time I rode it wasn't far behind. Towards the end with the awful G trains it was a pretty awful ride.

An important aspect to the SOB saga would be the potential for the ride to be marketed as brand new again if it got a overhaul similar to the Texas Giant.

If I Were Cedar Fair, I'd Reopen Son Of Beast this year and say that 2011 will be the last year of operation before a Major Investment will be added called "Beast-X" that will be Better than Son Of Beast.

You get a Major Attendance boost. Enthusiasts will be happy knowing that a Major Attraction will be added. Boom!

Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money!

It will be funny if they put the loop back on it. I can then ride it all 3 versions. lol
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I can imagine one consideration for the park is how much of a liability the ride is. After the last incident that injured so many people when the support broke I bet the ride would cost a ton to insure unless major renovations are made.

I think if the right re-invention of the ride came back, I don't think it would take much to insure. With either a massive wood over haul or Rocky Mountain rehab, either one would work for the ride.

Oh well, hope to ride it again soon.

and that thing they call a coaster named Cheetah at WIld Adventures. Now that is a ride I wouldn't mind seeing torn down although I hate to see any coaster go. That one would be an exception.
    Sorry to burst your hate bubble, but Cheetah's million dollar refurb was a huge success and the ride is not how you remember it. As I've always said, it was its lack of a refurb combined with crappy trains that made it so rough. Now, ONE of those issues was addressed and the coaster is back to how it was those early years when it was an awesome ride. Only thing now is to ditch the G-Trains for some Millennium Flyers or those new Timberliners so the track doesn't go to crap again. MF's worked for Gwazi, they'll work for Cheetah.
    "I'm going off the rails on a crazy train"

I guess I'm a OS X, Windows , Solaris 10 , Linux, and Unix fanboy. Did I miss any OS?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Wild Adventures, Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Starliner | Steel Roller Coaster: Big Bad Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by GAmFanboy View Post
    If I Were Cedar Fair, I'd Reopen Son Of Beast this year and say that 2011 will be the last year of operation before a Major Investment will be added called "Beast-X" that will be Better than Son Of Beast.

You get a Major Attendance boost. Enthusiasts will be happy knowing that a Major Attraction will be added. Boom!

Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money!
    The last coaster that was added before Diamondback was Firehawk(X-Flight). I can tell you that 95% of the people who rode SOB including me won't be heartbroken if they tear the dang thing down or burn it. Lol. Because of a contract clause, Cedar Fair can't sue the people who designed and or built the ride. The company who did that is no longer around. The State Of Ohio has to inspect SOB to make sure it will run ok. If they tell you that the ride can't be ran, then the park will have to let it be SBNO. The last numbers i hear Cedar Fair spent on SOB was over 15 million dollars. I hurt my back to the point where i couldn't ride anything else that day after i rode SOB. I never rode it since. And that was after all the retracking they did. SOB is a money pit and needs to be torn down before someone dies on it. The 3 Ohio Cedar Fair parks haven't had an injury or death report that was the parks fault in years. The State has to deem the park at fault for it to count.
    People can boo me and people can cheer for me. But when they stop making noise for me then its time to retire and hang up the gloves. -Dale Earnhardt Sr.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Wicked twister

As far as I know it was said that there has been around 30 million total investment in the ride. Never have seen an amount published on how much of that Cedar Fair actually put in of that. After the last time the ride shut down Ohio Dept of Ag did give the okay to operate the ride but park management was unhappy with the ride experience. The lawsuit didn't make then want to open it up either. Personally I loved the original Son of Beast and never got to ride it without the loop. There is a stigma on the ride now and could be ridden with lawsuits even in times undeserved. I'd like to see it reopen but if they do too little it's only a matter of time before it leaves, they almost have to go big in the changes to it or it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scioneer View Post
    Sorry to burst your hate bubble, but Cheetah's million dollar refurb was a huge success and the ride is not how you remember it. As I've always said, it was its lack of a refurb combined with crappy trains that made it so rough. Now, ONE of those issues was addressed and the coaster is back to how it was those early years when it was an awesome ride. Only thing now is to ditch the G-Trains for some Millennium Flyers or those new Timberliners so the track doesn't go to crap again. MF's worked for Gwazi, they'll work for Cheetah.
    There is no hating. I call it like I see it. Cheetah was the roughest wooden coaster I have ever been on before in my life. Granted it was refurbished between 2009 and 2010, so I have not ridden the newer ride. I last rode it in 2009 so I surely do hope it is a new and improved ride. However, prior to that, it was absolutely never a smooth ride. I have ridden it several different years, to include its' opening year. It was rough then too. A wooden coaster is supposed to have a rough side, because well it is a wooden coaster. But it isn't supposed to be THAT rough. But like I said, I hope the refurb has improved it though. As far as SOB goes, with all the retracking and reprofiling it has received, the cost has come to over $30 million, the most expensive coaster in the US. If there is mostly negative reviews of this ride and it is SBNO for years, SOB future looks bleak at best. All I know is that SOB plot is a perfect spot for a good 170 foot inverter.....

All I know is that SOB plot is a perfect spot for a good 170 foot inverter.....
    Or a dive coaster, we need more dive coasters.
    "I'm going off the rails on a crazy train"

I guess I'm a OS X, Windows , Solaris 10 , Linux, and Unix fanboy. Did I miss any OS?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Wild Adventures, Busch Gardens Europe | Wooden Roller Coaster: Starliner | Steel Roller Coaster: Big Bad Wolf

I never like to see a coaster go. It would be a shame for a coaster like SOB to be torn down, but I don't know if this coaster can be redeemed. I would love to see it be turned into a wonderful coaster, something thats actually enjoyable, and something people would want to ride again. I have my doubts. The last time I rode it I thought I was going to die. I was begging for this ride to end. My heart felt like it was going to explode, just horribly painful. So I dont know if its really worth the investment, to try to revive this coaster when they've already tried in the past.
    My Top Ten
    1. Diamondback 2. Millennium Force 3. El Toro 4. Nitro 5. Maverick
    6. Apollo's Chariot 7. Kinda Ka/Top Thrill Dragster 8. Alpengeist
    9. Raptor 10. Griffin
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Quote Originally Posted by Scioneer View Post
    Or a dive coaster, we need more dive coasters.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    There is no hating. I call it like I see it. Cheetah was the roughest wooden coaster I have ever been on before in my life. Granted it was refurbished between 2009 and 2010, so I have not ridden the newer ride. I last rode it in 2009 so I surely do hope it is a new and improved ride. However, prior to that, it was absolutely never a smooth ride. I have ridden it several different years, to include its' opening year. It was rough then too. A wooden coaster is supposed to have a rough side, because well it is a wooden coaster. But it isn't supposed to be THAT rough. But like I said, I hope the refurb has improved it though. As far as SOB goes, with all the retracking and reprofiling it has received, the cost has come to over $30 million, the most expensive coaster in the US. If there is mostly negative reviews of this ride and it is SBNO for years, SOB future looks bleak at best. All I know is that SOB plot is a perfect spot for a good 170 foot inverter.....
    Actually, it would make it only the third most expensive coaster in the US. KK was $38 million, and EE costed $100 million for the whole package. There's probably a couple of other coasters in that price range, but those are the only ones that I can immediately recall. But, yes, you do have a point.

EE was so expensive because of that damn Yeti that only works like half the time. The animatronics cost an arm and a leg. I doubt the coaster cost more than 6 million.

SOB should have something done to it. I would at least try to refurb it before scrapping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanks4me05 View Post
    Actually, it would make it only the third most expensive coaster in the US. KK was $38 million, and EE costed $100 million for the whole package. There's probably a couple of other coasters in that price range, but those are the only ones that I can immediately recall. But, yes, you do have a point.
    Where did you read that Kingda Ka cost $38 million? Because I havent found any sources that point even close to that range. They all say $25 million for it. And Expedition Everest roller coaster itself was not $100 million. It was all that theming they did that cost so much, but the roller coaster only I would put at no more than $10-12 million tops and even that is on the plus side. That would make SOB the most expensive roller coaster if you are only talking about track, supports, and train. But regardless I just don't see KI investing much more into a ride that has given it so many problems.

Let's make it the world's first inverted wooden coaster.

Just cut all the middle boards.
    Last edited by Wes; 03-04-2011 at 04:54 PM.

How about they build another woodie by Firehawk that is the other Son of Beast. They can then tear down the first version of the horrible ride.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast