Thread: How do you turn around a non-rider?

How do you turn around a non-rider?

I turned my 16 year old friend around, but my parents weren't there so I just dragged him on. Now, I want my 12 yr old sister to try riding them, she said 'maybe', but that she's a little afraid. What should I do?
    "This post from ThrillRide Forum 1 is really good value."

I have the same problem with my 10 year old sister.

Victory Not Vengeance DrachenFire96's Avatar
    Get the Damamine (sp????) which will help them keep from getting sick if they have weak stomachs. If they ride and don't get sick, they will probably be hooked for life.
    Ich lebe deinen Traum!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: depends on my mood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force, Batwing/X-Flight

definetly do NOT push her off the "deep end". my family made that mistake with my cousin (took her on the Chiller at SFGADV) and she refused to ride another coaster all day. start with like a non-looping coaster and then say that looping coasters are even more fun. start her on one which doesn't go too fast and only has a few simple inversions. and if she doesn't like it don't push her to another one. just leave her alone. you never know--after seeing you riding coasters all day and coming off with a big smile on your face she might be ready to try another one. if she does like it the 1st time then, great, another convert!

Wooden Poster
    I can't get my sister to ride coasters either. She is afraid of getting sick (which I think is weird because she actually has a stronger stomach than me). I have been able to get her to ride some rides though.

Take them to PKI or PKD and try to get them in line for Flight of Fear. Tell them it can't go upside down because it only has lap bars. Then tell them that the launch is really fun and maybe they ride it and find it fun.

Minetrain Poster
    try sedating them. that should work.

Better Than Any Roller Coaster SFGadvKing's Avatar
    try bringing them on a coaster that has OTSR. i have some friends that wont go on coasters because they only ones they have been on are ones that have lapbars, and they think they will fall out.
    I was once TN's top poster!
    2007 Gadv Count: Kingda Ka-6, El Toro-6, Nitro-4, Medusa-2, S:UF-2, R:TC-1, B:TC-, GASM-0, Skull Mt-0, B:TR-0, RMT-0, RT-0
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Kingda Ka

Heartline Poster
    yup start with a mine train..everyone loves minetrains...then higher on a woody..then add loops...then do a suspended...next thing go for the hyper...and tada you got a coaster junkie for life!!!!..PD try to stay away from painfull rides like certain wild mice...pain is not good when trying to convert someone!!
    I Love Impulse coasters...A 300 ft TA2K ..on word sweet!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: HMM can i be disloyal to my homepark??? | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: Riddlers Revenge (B&M Makes the Best)

I took my friend to PGA.. We were inline for Drop Zone.... he was scared out of his mind. I told him "Look at all the people that are laughing.. If they were scared they'd be screaming" And he rode it, and sure enough. He laughed. And now he'll ride anything

Just Humor em' It'll work
    live life free, and ride the rails!

Ultra Poster
    Hmmm, a kid who's never ridden a roller coaster before could start by riding Millennium Force! No, seriously, 'cause after he gets a taste of it, he'll just keep on wanting more. I once turned around my cousin who lives in Northern Cali by letting her ride Medusa at Six Flags Marine World. That was her first major coaster, so she was kinda terrified at first. Now she loves riding coasters a lot! I also turned around a lot of my friends during my 8th grade end of the year trip by letting them go on Flight of Fear first. It was fun!

If they refuse even mine trains or woodies, try bribing them, dont tell them at all about crashes or anything.... i was talking to my neighbour who was planning a trip to West Edmonton Mall in canada... i told her about some fatalities on the rollercoaster there... to which she replied "thanks a lot" with a angry look on her face... not the way to go.

NOTHING WORKS I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING MY THEORY IS JUST BLIND FOLD THEM UNTIL YOUR GOING UP THE LIFT HILL
    Go Reds!!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Steel Roller Coaster: Dragster/ MF

Divinity
    Let them watch the ride running, see how happy people are getting off - show them the smiles. And show them that there are other kids their age going on the ride, no worse for wear. Start with a small coaster, especially something with short lines -- less time for them to reconsider riding. Distract them by showing them how secure the harness is, how the crew checks everyone's to make sure their safe, stuff like that. Show them how they can hold on. If you're being serious about wanting to get someone to ride, don't try to be a jokester - coasters can really scare some people, and if you're making wisecracks about it all the time they'll never ride again.
    Walk Beyond...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH | Wooden Roller Coaster: Blue Streak (Cedar Point, OH) | Steel Roller Coaster: Kraken (Sea World, FL)

Trick them. Tell them that you are going on another ride, and when they finally get to the rollercoaster, tell them you cant get off of it and go on it because you waiteds in line for a long time. aaaathey usually like the ride when it is over.

Strata Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sly [/i]
    [B]definetly do NOT push her off the "deep end". my family made that mistake with my cousin (took her on the Chiller at SFGADV) and she refused to ride another coaster all day. start with like a non-looping coaster and then say that looping coasters are even more fun. start her on one which doesn't go too fast and only has a few simple inversions. and if she doesn't like it don't push her to another one. just leave her alone. you never know--after seeing you riding coasters all day and coming off with a big smile on your face she might be ready to try another one. if she does like it the 1st time then, great, another convert! [/B][/QUOTE]
    LOL, i got my friend to ride it as his first coaster with inversions only difference was that he liked it and i don't think he went on another coaster that day, theen brought him again because he wanted to go, i did a little bit better first coaster Batman & Robin: The chiller, then we went on some flat rides got on Medusa. but luckly my brother was like him too and had a headache so i luckly got to ride Viper (one last time if it closes forever) Rolling Thunder that's it
    I love Jessica! She's the greatest girl in the whole world! Proud Member of the BBFC
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Villain | Steel Roller Coaster: Batman & Robin the chiller

Absolutely NOTHING works for me trying to get my 10 year old sister to ride. Our home park is PGA and the only things she does are psycho mouse and i think she tride grizzly once.

Looping Poster
    Tell them, do you think I just paid 40 dollars for you to walk around all day and ride carnival rides, you better get your *** on some coasters!
    Give me money.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Grant Park | Steel Roller Coaster: windjammer

Hyper Poster
    The 10 Steps into Turning Someone into a coasterholic

Step 1: Minetrains: Even my little brother rides these. Nice speed, no hills, everyone loves em. Example: Adventure Express

Step 2: Mid- Sized older Woodie: These coasters aren't too bad. Try getting between 60-75 feet. They should enjoy these: Examples: Big Dipper @ SFWOA, Kennywood Racer, Jackrabbit.

Step 3: Medium Woodies: Try to shoot for between 80-100 ft. These coasters might be a bit of a challenge, but try finding some with lots of curves and not so many drops. Examples: KW Thunderbolt, HP Wildcat, HW Raven, Legend

Step 4: Larger Woodies and Suspendeds: After they've tried medium sized woodies, go for about 110-140 ft., as well as some smaller suspendeds. Again, lots of curves. Examples: Rampage @ Visionland, PKI Beast (only one real steep drop), Suspended Iron Dragon at CP and SFMM Ninja

Step 5: Small Loopers: Schwartzkopf coasters are the ideal ones for up and coming enthusiasts. My brother whose terrified of coasters loved the Sooperdooperlooper at HP, and he's terrified of coasters. He wanted to ride front seat the next time. Also, corkscrew coasters are good, too. Examples: Sooperdooperlooper at HP, Mindbender at SFOG, CP Corkscrew

Step 6: Mid Sized Loopers: Shoot for between 100-150 with about 3 to 6 loops. Also, try FoF at PKI. There are no drops and the blast off only lasts about a second. These might be tough but they'll love 'em once they get on. Examples: Loch Ness Monster at BGW, Anaconda at PKD, Flight of Fear at PKI

Step 7: Medium Inverteds and standups: Once they've conquered mid-sized loopers, go with some of the slightly smaller inverteds and stand-ups. The inverteds won't be as hard to get on as the stand ups. Examples: Raptor at CP, King Cobra at PKI, Batman clones, and the Great Bear at HP.

Step 8:Giant Steels and inverteds, larger standups: Now it's time for the big boys. Make sure they've had plenty of experience before they go on these. Examples: Viper at SFMM, Riddler's Revenge at SFMM, Alpengeist at BGW, and Volcano at PKD

Step 9: Smaller hypercoasters: For these, go for 200-235. These should actually be pretty easy for them to go on once you explain that they don't have any inversions and aren't as rough as the stand ups or sitdown mega loopers. Examples: Magnum at CP, Steel Force at Dorney Park, Phantom's Revenge at KW and Son of Beast at PKI

Step 10:The Big Ones: Finally, they're ready for the biggest of the big! These coasters should be anywhere from 250 to 310. These might take some coaxing, but all they really are are slightly bigger versions than the other hyper coasters they've ridden. Once they've ridden these, they have become all-out coaster bravados! Examples: Millenium Force at CP, Goliath at SFMM, Titan at SFOT.

Just a few points to remember, too.
    1. Don't start them off too big, or they'll be scared forever.
    2. This could take a while, give em' a few years to get better.
    3. Don't force them onto anything, try to make them relax.
    4. and finally, the hardest part of riding a rollercoaster, is getting on, once you're next in line, there's no turning back. Good luck!
    Big Brother is Watching You.

CO-FOUNDER OF THE WWHBC, we want Honan!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: King's Island, Kennywood, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Any Boomerang

Minetrain Poster
    First try to get them to ride a wooden one.....
    Next, get them to ride a steel one that goes upside down...
    Then, get them to try inverted...
    Last, Hypercoasters floorless, flying and all that

Thats how i got my friend to ride...:)
    Ride Every Coaster You can
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Wildcat | Steel Roller Coaster: Tie : Incredible Hulk / Batwing

Corkscrew Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by 1984 v. 2.5 [/i]
    [B]....Step 9: Smaller hypercoasters: For these, go for 200-235. These should actually be pretty easy for them to go on once you explain that they don't have any inversions and aren't as rough as the stand ups or sitdown mega loopers. Examples: Magnum at CP, Steel Force at Dorney Park, Phantom's Revenge at KW and Son of Beast at PKI

Step 10:The Big Ones: Finally, they're ready for the biggest of the big! These coasters should be anywhere from 250 to 310. These might take some coaxing, but all they really are are slightly bigger versions than the other hyper coasters they've ridden. Once they've ridden these, they have become all-out coaster bravados! Examples: Millenium Force at CP, Goliath at SFMM, Titan at SFOT.[/B][/QUOTE]

i know what ur trying to say but what about the coasters b/t 235 and 250, lol? oh and i know goliath's drop is 255 but it's height is 235, so actually it shoulda been in the step 9 examples. neways, i get what ur saying, don't think i'm a freak, just a little to technical sometimes! for the step 9 examples though i woulda said 200-215 feet hypers icluding the b&m hypers and morgan hypers (excluding sd2k) which btw is over 310 feet. there should be no max height on step 10 either. sd2k, ste, and tot are all over 310, and there's sure to be some taller ones in the future. other than those minor details, i agree, great post!!
    nineoneoneohone

God Bless America
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags' Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: Son of Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Deja Vu

Corkscrew Poster
    Do what my dad did with me, just get them on one and say if you don't like it you never have to get on it again. But please try everything just once.

Hyper Poster
    Thanks SFMM2004, yeah, you're right about the B&M hypers and stuff! And of course there should be no limit for #10. But I just went as high as the coasters that are out right now!

Favorites: Amusement Park: King's Island, Kennywood, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Any Boomerang

Moving to General Talk.
    Erik Johnson
    ThrillNetwork Co-Administrator
    Upload an image to the DB! Post a track or comment in SpeedZone! They count towards your post count!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce) | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

Small to large and gradually increasing the number of loops is the way to go. Dramamine can be a big help--they won't have to worry about losing their lunch. Most of all, do not try to trick somebody into going on a ride. If they don't like it , that could suck the fun out of everyones' day.:)
    captain underpants--fighting for all that is preshrunk and cottony...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: son of beast | Steel Roller Coaster: apollo's chariot

Today at SFOG I went with an 8-year old and a 12-year old (both guys) One had a severe case of acrophobia and the other was afraid of loops. They were SO BORING! All they wanted to do was play arcade games! But my mission for today was to get them on any of the B&Ms. Well, first we went and rode the Santa Maria (my first time in Bugs Bunny World :)) and the 8-year-old got scared (The 12-year-old was so scared he didn't even ride! You would laugh if you knew what the Santa Maria is!). I told him that rides are designed very well, and that they get lots of traning, ect. Then I convinced them to get on the Dahlonega Mine Train (for their first coaster ride ever...) .I sat by myself and they sat together. When we started moving, I told them the ride had a loop. They were SO SCARED and it was so funny! I just sat there laughing my @$$ off! It was the best ride I had all day! Then they stopped us for a minute on the third lift, and I told them: "Did you know that after the little turn around on that tunnel the ride drops 400 feet?" They believed it and almost cried! Then the ride started and dropped about 30 ft. or whatever it is and went through the "surprise" part, the big guy was checking to see if his heart was beating and the little guy kinda liked it. I told them about how that was the BABY coaster...the embarrasment! Then I told them that we were gonna go to another ride (the Viper) and they wouldn't get on, so I told them to wait. I went 2 times, and when i told them they stood there with their mouths open...Then they went to play some stupid arcade games. Then we walked over to Gotham City, and I kept telling them about the rides I've been on (a 310-ft. coaster? HAHAHA! YOU'RE THE BEST LIAR WE'VE MET! THEY DON'T EXIST! and YOU WENT ON THAT THING? (acrophobia) YOU STAYED UP THERE? YEAH RIGHT!) The 8-year old kept saying he wanted to see Deja Vu work.
    *him: Oooh, look at that one! Don't you wanna ride it, Junior (12-year old)?
    *me: It's not open yet.
    *junior: AAAAHHHHH!
    *him: Yeah it is.
    *me: No it's not. do you see it working?
    *him: No but it's open cuz I say so!
    They waited 2 hours for me to get on Batman.
    Then we bought some food (I'm eating the leftovers now)
    Then I wanted to get on Mindbender, but the little guy kept asking me for $3. I said that his mom would be mad if I gave it to him...but hey, if he got on Mindbender with me I would give him some money! So he waited in line with me, and kept asking stuff (how long does the loop last? how does it go through the loop? don't you fall out upside down?) but he chickened out. Then we went to the GA Scorcher where again, only I got on, until I got kicked out. So if...
    *the person's afraid of heights
    *afraid of being upside down
    *doesen't get out much
    *doesen't know that the world is beyond their horizon
    *is afraid of speed
    *is a big baby
    they're not good candidates for a convert. It's a long story, but it talks about how it's really not possible...
    let's limming
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Over Texas | Wooden Roller Coaster: me no no :( | Steel Roller Coaster: joker's jinx or mr. freeze limmers!

Hyper Poster
    I know how you feel DeKalb, my little brother's just like that!

My girlfriend forced me on the beast last year at PKI. it worked. lol

Dave
    www.nextdimensioncoasters.net
    Favorites: Amusement Park: PKI | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast! | Steel Roller Coaster: Vortex of PKI

Ok, today those little guys called...now they regret it...just like I told them they would...they wanna go again but since it's expensive they're not allowed to anymore....if they would have listened to me...
    let's limming
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Over Texas | Wooden Roller Coaster: me no no :( | Steel Roller Coaster: joker's jinx or mr. freeze limmers!

_________ Poster GeorgiaSchorcherfreak's Avatar
    Well I went to SFOG in June and there were three people who were afraid of coasters. My mom was afraid due to her heart but the other two were just afraid and did not like drops. So that morning one rode the Cyclone a lot but I think the other did not. At noon the whole group (about 12 people ) met and decided to ride Acrophobia. Everyone in the group rode it except for three people my mom was afraid of her heart, another one made up an excuse (he said he would later) and the other one was the one who did not Cyclone. We did manage to talk the one that rode Cyclone alot on. Well to shorten the story I heard later on the one that we talked on Acrophobia rode Scorcher and GASM and the other day said he hoped next time he goes Deja Vu is open. The one that did not ride ACrophobia nor the Cyclone later on rode the Dahlonaga Mine Train and what I heard he looked like he was about to throw-up.