Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Manta '12

San Diego Manta '12

Coastal Agency Staff Backs ?Manta Ray? Ride, With Conditions | San Diego Business Journal A West Coast Manta is closer to arriving at Seaworld San Diego in 2012. Only 30ft high!?!? A launcher indeed.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Based on rcdb.com A 30ft Coaster is the same height as:

- Barnstormer @ WDW- MK
    - Switchback @ Gulliver's Matlock Bath
    - Timberline Twister @ Knott's Berry Farm

Even R.I.T.A at Alton Towers is 68 feet tall according to RCDB.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Don't you guys know about the jet coaster proposed for the park? It is all over Screamscape. It is a coaster like the one in Sea World Australia: Jet Rescue

It will be themed to mantas however, here is the proposed layout on Screamscape (you might need to scroll down the page a little): http://www.screamscape.com/html/seaworld_california.htm
    2011 Parks To Visit:
    Lagoon Amusement Park: Season Pass Holder | Six Flags Discovery Kingdom: Late July/Early August | California's Great America: Late July/Early August | Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Late July/Early August
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disneyland Park | Wooden Roller Coaster: Terminator Salvation: The Ride (SFMM) | Steel Roller Coaster: X2 (Six Flags Magic Mountain

I heard about it being a multiple launcher, not necessarily a jet ski themed one yet. I heard it's possible to be a Mack. In Australia that Seaworld is not affiliated with ours and it's an Intamin. We'll wait and see.

I've read about demolition of buildings around the future site. Reading through the comments I''ve collected that these buildings were the last original ones that opened with the park. The site is larger than initially estimated.

Here is a link to some of the proposed concept art: SWC - 2012

While it may only be 30 ft above the ground, it looks like it dips around 10-20 ft below ground, and all of the theming elements along with launching should make this enjoyable. But you all must remember how difficult it is to pass a ride in San Diego. The people there care way more about the ocean and beaches (I am not kidding), and it has taken three years just to pass this 30 ft. tall attraction.
    2011 Parks To Visit:
    Lagoon Amusement Park: Season Pass Holder | Six Flags Discovery Kingdom: Late July/Early August | California's Great America: Late July/Early August | Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Late July/Early August
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Disneyland Park | Wooden Roller Coaster: Terminator Salvation: The Ride (SFMM) | Steel Roller Coaster: X2 (Six Flags Magic Mountain

I guess since it was so difficult to get approved they may pour a whole lot more in upgrading the scenery around the new coaster.

At least it's a better animation than Kennywood's for Sky Rocket. I'm hoping Busch uses Mack for Busch Gardens Williamsburg so they could produce a model that would kick Maverick's behind.

It wouldn't be hard to do either. With the same OTSR as blue fire Megacoaster, it will be quite the impressive coaster too. Because Maverick may be fun, but that is a ride I could NEVER marathon with all the head and neck banging you endure throughout.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Maybe some other goofy groups of people would marathon Maverick with those kind of restraints.

The lapbars on Blue fire look pretty comfy to me. This Manta looks like there could be some airtime, despite the height. Two launches? I'm okay with that. Finally a decent coaster to SWSD.

Two launches should be a bit more norm, even a luxury to a small coaster. I'm used to those one long powerful launch rides. Being themed to aquatic life is better than a jet ski.

SeaWorld Info and More! Lots of earth movers, footer pouring boxes and setting footers.

Manta track has been spotted.

Some supports are up on this low lying coaster.

First piece of track was placed today! It was a highly right banked piece. The park mentioned there are 98 more pieces to go with 100 supports. The ride's highest point will be 26ft. I bet I would like this coaster. As long as it's taken at lower speeds with plenty of turns and lacks any hanging over I would enjoy the experience more than 305. I'm quite fine with El Toro.

Manta Monday Ooooohhh Low to the ground twisted track on Manta. There's quite a bit of it that has been put up. Seaworld San Diego released a couple twisted pics on the fb.

I'm not at all impressed with this manta. It looks like a family launch coaster. Not very high off the ground, and way short. Blech.
    -Termination complete-

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood

I was trying to understand why the San Diego Seaworld hardly had coasters. There are some strict restrictions over there supposedly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manta.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	19248

Behind the Thrills posted this on their Tumblr. This picture was taken at IAAPA. This will be one of the cars that will be featured on Manta next year.

That's a nice snippet of a train. The circuit has also got to be better than an Arrow mine train.

Manta Monday We got station track, maintenance track action yo. The station frame is pretty much up.

Yea, San Diego has MAJOR height restrictions, almost on par with Alton Towers. This is probably going to be the biggest thrill coaster you are going to get at a non Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. It looks freaking AMAZING to me, and I can't wait to ride it next year as I'll be in San Diego come February :3 As to a previous comment several posts up, Blue Fire restraints are comfortable as silk on your face and literally make the ride way more enjoyable. If only Intamin could do that without anyone falling out (too soon?)

Another step in the right direction for sea world, imo homepage homepage website
    Last edited by billyx; 12-20-2011 at 04:59 PM.

SW San Diego has lot to deal with. Its a real crime when you look at what they planned for their Journey to Atlantis and how it turned out following all of the community intervening. Regarding this ride, although no where near as impressive as the ride at SWO, its still a good addition for this park. Hopefully this is just the beginning and they can get the locals to relax and let them build more in the future.

I'm just left to wonder: launched mine train or is it even more? The offerings at Legoland Carlsbad are not that extreme either.

The fact that the twisty awesomeness of sex known as the back end of the ride means this will be a surprisingly intense little coaster.

SeaWorld San Diego Manta Construction Update - YouTube
    A nearly two minute ride with no lift hill? The train must be idling before the launch to let riders watch a video and effects.
    A 20 foot dive into the ground to give riders a 54 foot drop.

The most recent update:
    SeaWorld San Diego Manta Update - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast