Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swarm-Thorpe '12: B&M Wingrider

Swarm-Thorpe '12: B&M Wingrider

Wow is what I can describe these layout plans I've seen of apparently a new B&M wingrider for Thorpe Park in 2012. LC12 is the code name for this ride. They've built an island for this ride. A major new element is right off the lift. A description of it given was a Togo coaster like twist and dive. I think it's like one of those twisting drops you create in Rollercoaster Tycoon that go immediately right under the lift. I've created those in that game and always wanted to see one implemented. Maybe the closest to the drop right now is the first drop on a Schwarzkopf portable like what Thriller used to have. The rest of the layout has a zero G roll, a helix, what appears to be a another rollover.

Man, I thought there was going to be a raven turn. Still not quite X. There is no pure backwards moment.
    Last edited by Leo C; 02-12-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

^Are you sure that B&M's "4D" is actually a 4D and not just their version of a wing rider? I've been following X Raptor's development since the beginning, and so far I still haven't heard anything on that.

From what I've heard, Raptor is their test to first see how well it works, while B&M work on rotating seats. If the rotating seats end up getting developed, Raptor will most likely get the rotating seats. Kinda like Shiekra and Griffon.

Here are the plans and concept pictures Leo was talking about:
    Thorpe Park Mania - LC12 Plans Released

Wooden Poster
    Well with Thorpe getting the go ahead with LC 12 must mean B&M is 100% completely satisfied with the train construction after testing on Gardalands Raptor. That's a great thing because that means there must be no bouncing like on Arrows X2 and no major rattle like Intamins wing walker, this thing must be B&M smooth

If B&M does come up with trains with seat that flip like X unless they are free flipping they would be impossible to install on Raptor and this LC 12 coaster, because to get a controlled flip like X2 there would have to be extra rails on the track to flip the seats. Computers controlled could be extremely heavy and dangerous if the computer failed and the seats didn't flip when they are suppose to. Neither of these coaster where designed with free flipping seats in mind so that could also pose a problem, so my theory is these two coaster will remain wing riders even if B&M produce a true 4d coaster in the future.

Anyways I'm loving the theme and the layout to Thrope parks coaster that half loop/ first drop combo looks great unlike anything B&M has ever done before. I'm loving that B&M is trying to step out of they're little box for a change look at this coaster and that amazing looking Starry Night Ripper inverted coaster in China.

I had simply forgot they were not 4th dimension coasters but the elements being attempted sure look close to what you do on X2. There's going to be an airplane wing in this themeing?
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Thorpe Park Mania - LC12 Plans Released Adding some sketches of the proposed coaster.

I tell you what, they are doing a fine job hiding this coaster too. I don't know if track is on site or anything, but nowhere in the park are you able to see construction going on at that island either. The two highest points are on Stealth and Detonator and I still could not find an ounce of construction going on (Not to mention it is hard to see the island too). Regardless if they started or not, they are promoting the ride well with flyers all over the place and 'homeless' people walking around.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I'd love to see this airplane wreckage pulled off. Did they get any advice from USH?

Footers are being poured. There are stickers on another ride's supports saying "The End is Coming! Lc12.net"

Thorpe Park announced the coaster today: its name is The Swarm.

I don't think the ride itself will be that impressive by the layout that was leaked out earlier, but the theme looks incredible and will boost this ride to the next level! Hopefully it will be a short but forceful ride.

^I just want to point out that I said the same thing about I-305 before it opened. And I ended up eating my words too, because I think it is one of the best coasters out there. You really can't judge a ride by the layout until you actually get to ride it. Because you never know...you may eat your words too!
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Yeah, I know. I haven't ridden a wing rider yet, but I have a feeling with the seats being as open as they are hanging off the track, you will really be able to feel some forces! Intensity and forces are my favorite features on coasters.

I can't wait to hear the reviews on this ride compared to Dollywood's POSSIBLE wing rider... I definitely won't be taking a trip to Europe next year so I won't get to try this ride out. I'll be staying here in the states (& Canada) checking out Dollywood's, Hersheypark's, Canada's Wonderland's, BGW's, and of course to ride whatever KD gets new next year! Plus, I got to get back up to the Point next year as well...

Don't worry, I'll send you a report of BOTH wingriders here within the next couple of years .

Underestimated. If you understand the first drop like I do I think it's as close to doing the steep first drop off a portable Schwarzkopf I have yet to do. I think the train is twisting and falling right under itself on the first drop. I heard it's going to be 127 feet tall. That's something I could only do in RCT: basically fall straight into an inversion. It's not really having a traditional or technical first drop then.

Here is the ride's site: http://www.theswarm.co.uk/ They should have called it Antoine to the ride.
    Last edited by Leo C; 08-01-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Looks like a really fun, compact ride. I can't wait to get one of these wing riders in the US; hopefully next year.

If all plans fall through, both Dollywood and SFGAM will be getting one next year. The theming on this sounds really cool. I guess diving straight into an inversion will bring out more intensity in this ride. It looks great!
    Top 3 Roller Coasters - 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: American Eagle (Red) | Steel Roller Coaster: The Incredible Hulk

Pieces to the final turn are up. It appears to be black supports and gray track.

THE SWARM - Developers Diary | Facebook The park has a fb developers page. The lift hill and the bottom of the diving inversion are up. Supports for the zero G roll are up as well. It looks like we're really close to the installation of the first drop diving inversion. I'm most excited to see this RCT-like inversion when it's completed.

Nice pictures posted. Yeah I would have never seen this while I was there earlier in the year, unless I sat on the other side of Detonator. Other than that, there isn't a spot in the park to see them at least excavating the area.

Minetrain Poster
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1110171245000021.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	19055

The unemployment count in the U.K. just grew by one.

Could be a thematic piece though

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...95937715_n.jpg It's done! The twisting first drop is done.

I like the layout already, even though it's just the first drop.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

I really want to get the larger Schwarzkopf portable coasters because of their insanely steep first drops but twisting straight into one doesn't get tighter than that. It makes sense given the width of the train. The g-roll, inclined loop and then the turn that weaves through the inclined loop are going to be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by HaViiK View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1110171245000021.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	19055

The unemployment count in the U.K. just grew by one.

Could be a thematic piece though
    Not sure I understand your point. You know that all coaster track pieces are lifted according to the angle they will be installed. So it isn't unusual to see them at awkward angles on a hoist. The angle kind of makes it look like it is going to hit the person though.

I thought maybe he took a photo in an unauthorized area? That pic he pointed out was on the Swarm's progress page.

Okay, I see what he's talking about. My mouse has a zoom button. There was a track piece sitting in the water in the shot he provided.

Oh ok, now I see it. I stared at the picture for a long time and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Only thing I could see was the angle of the track on the hoist looked like it was about to hit the other guy. That is quite interesting that the track is in the water. I wonder if it was placed there before a ton of rain hit the area. Seems a bit weird that it would just be lying there if someone did screw up as opposed to immediately moved.

Minetrain Poster
    Ya I suppose I should have pointed it out. It's not there in the update pic, so I'm going to guess it was an accident or something.

See what happens when they make the track a smokey dirt color?

Through the G-roll is done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast