Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swarm-Thorpe '12: B&M Wingrider

I have heard there is a time lapse video of the construction so far, has anyone seen it or know where I could find it? I haven't been able to find it yet.

A view of the g-roll from their diary.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308956_130645817038828_115673268536083_95194_940170793_n.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	19180

Here's a decent No Limits 2 sided view POV animation of the ride.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeIwvuRvqIQ
    Last edited by Leo C; 10-24-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

PLANE THEMING! | Facebook The plane wing was placed over the track! The coaster train will travel between a wing and two GE jet engines. The park got part of a fuselage of a real plane.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Wall Photos | Facebook Clearance testing is going on for Swarm since the layout construction is done. That metal frame is making it's way through various points of the layout.

The trains are assembled and WOW - Red LED lights are part of the train's theming!

At the Swarm Developer's Diary RIDE CARS!!!!! | Facebook

Name:	SwarmTrain2.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	19402

Name:	SwarmTrain1.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	19403

The padded bib looks like what you'll find on a B&M Flyer train.

Wow! They look great!
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

With water dummies in the seats now there has to be hope The Swarm will be testing very soon. Anyone watching the Class of 2012 of the B&M wing coasters being built probably would want to see the first videos of The Swarm testing to determine the pace of elements. I'm eager to see how that twisting first drop executes. Based on Antoine's review of Raptor I hope there is improvement on these 2012 models.

Yeah I hope it is an improvement. One thing that is different about all of these 2012 coasters is the inversions. Although Raptor has three different types of inversions, all of them are pretty much inline twists. At least with these other wing coasters they incorporate different elements. I do wonder how that vertical loop will be on Wild Eagle. But Raptor is incredibly smooth and I hope to see the same smoothness with these other coasters.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Is it just me, but doesn't it look like Megatron (A LOT)!

Very cool trains.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

The coaster finally test run today. It executed the twist into a first drop, the inclined loop and the giant corkscrew. i could hear the B&M shimmy in the video. It goes about as slow as Raptor it seems in the video.
    THE SWARM 1st test run! | Facebook

On the Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzTCakQDk4s

The one lift support reminds of a Vekoma one.

Those four elements are as tight as can be. I'm inclined to think that genre appears slower than the typical B&M looper as they want to slow down the experience enough so people can enjoy and think while executing the elements hanging on the edge of the train. The elements like the corkscrew are made so wide the train goes slowly through it. The inclined loop looks regular B&M standup speed.
    Last edited by Leo C; 01-17-2012 at 01:57 PM.

It looks very meh. I'm very happy about the addition, but there's just not enough to the ride.
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Barto View Post
    It looks very meh. I'm very happy about the addition, but there's just not enough to the ride.
    You hate Dragster too, don't you? :-p
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

Looks sweet! Thanks Leo for posting the video!

Thorpe Park orders rollercoaster improvements after dummies lose limbs - Telegraph
    OMG There were lost limbs during testing according to this article.

Lol

Dollywood are you watching!

I wonder if it was just like theming or a tree was too close.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

This could be real but someone also said Merlin jokes around with some of their press. These mannequins are equipped too. If theming needs to be adjusted this is the time to figure it out too.

You beat me to it Leo! I just read the article! It looks like it had to do with the "church" scene.

Is n't the church the station? If it's elsewhere in the layout, maybe they'll bring the jib back out.

It could still be a main page story even if it was mentioned here. This could be serious or likely comedic.
    Last edited by Leo C; 01-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.

I thought the church was the station, but I haven't seen any pictures of how the church actually looks completed.

I did just see on that article, if you look at the 2nd picture (slideshow) the dumies arms are where they're supposed to be and some of the dumies didn't have legs to begin with...maybe?

Looking at the pictures, I wonder if the theme of the ride played a major part? Swarm is not surrounded by a lot of natural landscape at all. Most of it is added stuff and I wonder if some things are in the way. How much of a part does B&M play in the theming of their rides? I would think it is an outside contractor that does all of that stuff. It just seems unlike B&M to design their coaster with close calls like that, even after moving away shrubbery.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Swarm was built on a manmade island.

Yesterday this video was posted: THORPE PARK THE SWARM 2012 - YouTube
    I still think it has 4 inversions.
    Last edited by Leo C; 01-25-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Name:	419429_168775426559200_115673268536083_169667_139964441_n.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	19443
    1/25/12 from the Swarm Developers Diary. Def. think the article was a publicity stunt.

The park has added a fire engine and a helicopter themed to the Coast Guard to the ride course as part of the theming.

The first humans rode The Swarm. This is a pic from the diary facebook page of the element I'm most interested in: the twisting diving first drop.
    FIRST HUMANS TO RIDE THE SWARM | Facebook
    From the Diary on fb:

Name:	SwarmFirsthumantest.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	19593

They look like they have all their limbs. lol

THE SWARM - First Riders - Onride POV RAF Pilots 720p - YouTube
    Video of the air force pilots being the first human riders. I wish it wasn't cut up but there's the on ride snippets.

OFFICIAL POV!

I must say I am really disappointed with the speed of the inversions and this coaster in general.
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

Another example of their marketing.

Thats what the people over on CoasterForce have been saying. Merlin did a good job for getting a quality ride, but the ride is just an overall 'meh'. They are glad to see the UK getting a unique ride, but they still say the overall ride experience could have been a lot better than what is presented.

I got to ride Swarm last Friday, and honestly I have no idea why people are so unimpressed by it. I guess that's just the culture at CF (seems like everything is a disappointment over there...). I really enjoyed it. It's beautifully paced, smooth, exciting, and plenty intense. The first drop is insane, and it feels a lot faster than it looks. Loads of fun. The only aspect of the ride that didn't impress me was the pointlessly gigantic queue. But Swarm was easily the highlight of my day at Thorpe, along with Stealth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast