Thread: African Americans

African Americans

I was just wondering if there are any African Americans on these boards.

you racist!!!!!!

j/k

(usually i dont have to signify when im kidding or not but you people are surprisingly gullible to my kidding around)

I would assume there are a few hither and tither. But while we're on the subject, I would submit that any American citizen on this board is an "African American". If by "African American" one means someone whose ancestry was rooted in Africa, then that applies to everyone!

Whether you belive in creationism (Garden of Eden b/w the Tigris and Euphrates River) or subscribe to the theory of evolution (Mesopotania = cradle of civilization) all point to the first people appearing on the African Continent. So all Americans are "African Americans"!
    lata,
    RH

Okay people the only reason I said African American instead of black is because its more politically correct. Everyone should've known what I meant. And that racist thing even though you were joking was totally unnecessary.

I'm not African American and I know this is off topic, but if anyone knows the answer to this question please help me out. I was wondering if the term "African American" refers to all black people. I have a black friend that is from South America, so you couldn't really call him African American. Unless black people in South America came from Africa?? I guess I'm just really confused about all this and it's probably a stupid question.

Looping Poster
    Well aren't Egyptian people in America technically African Americans? I think that term is pretty stupid but I dont want to offend anybody by calling them black.

Victory Not Vengeance DrachenFire96's Avatar
    Why are you curious to know whether or not we are Caucasian, African American, or Asian, or whatever? If we are all here, we are all coaster enthusiasts...why segregate us by color and cause a thread that may possibly spawn flames? I claim the natural title of being a "human." People don't have skin pigment variations in my eyes, this isn't the mid 20th century.
    Ich lebe deinen Traum!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: depends on my mood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Legend | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force, Batwing/X-Flight

In reality, there is only one race...the human race and I'm proud to be a part of it :D

Been Here Since the Begining Sir Willow's Avatar
    yeesh people, where are the straight answers for the poor guy?

I know of at least one person on the boards who would qualify (not me, sorry), because he is also a regular poster on my other list. I believe he normally uses the term black, but don't think he really cares much one way or the other.

You'll find people of all nationalities on here though, as roller coasters are a pretty universal thing.
    Have you read my number 1 best seller? There will be a test! ~God
    Life with God is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
    My park & coaster photos: Sir Willow's Smugmug pictures
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Bonfante Gardens, Holiday World, SFGrAm, Legoland and Disneyland | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix,Thunderhead- Dollywood, NM Rattler, Raven & Legend- HW, Viper- SFGrAm, Giant Dipper-SCBB | Steel Roller Coaster: X!!, Goliath, Talon, Millenium Force, Montu, Kumba, others

Yeah, it sounds like there's more white (caucasian) people on these boards. I'm Hispanic and feel like the only one here.
    let's limming
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Over Texas | Wooden Roller Coaster: me no no :( | Steel Roller Coaster: joker's jinx or mr. freeze limmers!

Actually Dekalb I'm hispanic too.And to the person that said why try to segregate us by race how am I doing that, the person that asked if there were any Native Americans on these boards didn't have to take any crap when he asked that.

Inverted Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeKalb [/i]
    [B]Yeah, it sounds like there's more white (caucasian) people on these boards. I'm Hispanic and feel like the only one here. [/B][/QUOTE]well i'm half Hispanic if that counts.

Anyway i don't know if there is an African American on these boards.
    MY DAY HAS COME!!!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Island of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: (none) | Steel Roller Coaster: Montu

Giga Poster
    Not really on topic, but I know what it feels like to be a minority even though I am white. I live in El Paso, and I am one of about 20 white people in my school. The rest are Hispanic. I had a teacher last year who I am convinced discriminated against me because I am white.
    "Well, I hate to be a snitch, but my neighbor Homer Simpson turned a radioactive ape loose in my house. Its taken over the whole top floor."~Ned Flanders
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: Texas Giant | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Titan, 2. Volcano, 3. Alpengeist, 4. Mr. Freeze, 5. Apollo's Chariot

Hyper Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The_Evil_Tediz [/i]
    [B]Not really on topic, but I know what it feels like to be a minority even though I am white. I live in El Paso, and I am one of about 20 white people in my school. The rest are Hispanic. I had a teacher last year who I am convinced discriminated against me because I am white. [/B][/QUOTE]

Racism, unfortunately, is still at large. Will it ever end?
    Big Brother is Watching You.

CO-FOUNDER OF THE WWHBC, we want Honan!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: King's Island, Kennywood, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Any Boomerang

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Goodfella [/i]
    [B]Okay people the only reason I said African American instead of black is because its more politically correct. Everyone should've known what I meant.[/B][/QUOTE]

Of course, I knew what you meant, but let me ask a question, why is "African American" politically correct? First of all, as I pointed out above, it is not very distinctive. Second off, people with extra melanin in their skin in this country have gone from 'painted' to 'colored' to 'negro' to 'black' to 'Afro-American' to 'African American'. Who comes up with these terms? Was there a vote? I just think the whole thing is silly.

Personally *I* prefer
    Black to African American
    White to Caucasian/Euro-American
    Latino/a to Hispanic
    Asiatic to Oriental
    Native American to Indian
    (I *know* I'm all of the above except Asiatic)

But if you want to refer to me as anything "Child of God" works just fine for me!
    lata,
    RH

Referring to someone by their skin color is kinda politically incorrect. Hispanic people are being called "brown" these days, and the thing is...i'm not the least bit brown. (yellow maybe, but not brown.) I don't even look like a hispanic person...some people even ask me if I'm Asian (just cuz my eyes are pulled back a bit...dang people, get rid of yer stereotypes) My relatives don't look like hispanics either. (Yeah, we're weird...)
    let's limming
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Over Texas | Wooden Roller Coaster: me no no :( | Steel Roller Coaster: joker's jinx or mr. freeze limmers!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RaptorHater [/i]
    [B]
    Who comes up with these terms? Was there a vote? I just think the whole thing is silly.[/B][/QUOTE]Probably the same people who want us to use euphamisms because they can't take reality. Think of it people who can't walk went from being crippled to lame to handicapped to disabled to physically challenged. Why? I guess when people thought of crippled they thought of someone with a crutch who was crippled for life. When they thought of lame, they probably thought of that little boy Tiny Tim in a Christmas Carol, who dies unless Ebeneezer Scrouge helps him. When they thought of handicapped they thought of that blue sign with the wheelchair on it. When they thought of disabled they thought of vetrans who had their legs shot off in combat. Some disturbing image will come up for Physically challenged and they'll want to change that.

Of course euphamisms aren't just confined to ethnicity or handicap status. Figure the following:

Consiptation = Occasional Irregularity
    Toilet Paper = Bathroom Tissue
    Hospital = Wellness Center
    Poor People = Economically Disadvangaged
    Being Broke = Negitive Cash Flow Position
    # years old = # years young

Of course when it comes to euphamisms nothing beats death. Being that my dad died a few months ago, when I went to make the arrangements to bury him, I got loads of euprhamistic language like the following:

Died = Expire
    Undertaker = Funeral Director
    Coffin = Burial Container
    Wake = Viewing
    Cemetary = Memorial Gardens

Anyway this is going off topic I know, so to get it back on, my ethnicity is Italian (Southern Greekish) on my fathers side, and Teutonic/Scandanavian on my mothers side, yet I don't refer to myself as a Euro-American. I'm simply an American, born here, raised here and there is nothing wrong with that. If I were born and raised in Canada, I'd be Canadian. Being a Child of God is a good term too (although these wacky PC days, it would be Diminutive Height Offspring of The Oppresive Creator) :p

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Smoky [/i]
    [B]In reality, there is only one race...the human race and I'm proud to be a part of it :D [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=4]AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE] :D
    I left my heart in Sandusky!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Grizzly | Steel Roller Coaster: Top Thrill Dragster

Strata Poster
    after reading all dat, i think ya awnser is no
    Its murda...
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Epcot | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Coaster, Playland | Steel Roller Coaster: The Hulk

Corkscrew Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TITAN GIRL [/i]
    [B]

[SIZE=4]AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE] :D [/B][/QUOTE]

ditto!!!!!! absolutely correct!

i am white (some might call me caucasian), but it doesn't offend me one way or the other. i say black not african american, and nobody's been offended thus far.

and in addition to Smoky's list:

trash truck=waste management vehicle
    midget/short people=vertically challenged

and i've never heard anybody else but me use this one, but it's based on the midget:
    obese/overweight/big boned/husky/fat/chubby/blubbery=horizontally challenged
    lol!

i mean...c'mon people!!!! how far are they gonna take it?! i doubt any trash trucks are gonna be offended if u don't address them "politically correctly!"
    nineoneoneohone

God Bless America
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags' Magic Mountain | Wooden Roller Coaster: Son of Beast | Steel Roller Coaster: Deja Vu

Hyper Poster
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TITAN GIRL [/i]
    [B]

[SIZE=4]AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE] :D [/B][/QUOTE]
    u stole the words right out of my mouth
    Sup you coaster gangstas, old school x-cellent is here to shank yo ugly asses.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: KBF | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ghostrider | Steel Roller Coaster: S:ROS