Thread: RCT3 - Opryland USA reborn!

The Original Dollywood Poster tntornadox's Avatar

RCT3 - Opryland USA reborn!

Gaylord Entertainment plans expansion; announcement expected soon

NASHVILLE, TENN. Gaylord Entertainment (NYSE: GET), a global hospitality company headquartered in Nashville, TN, is planning an expansion at its Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, say sources familiar with the situation. The source, who wishes to not be named publicly, has revealed that the company has been in the planning stages of a new theme park at its Opryland complex for the past several years. The company sought guidance from several outside firms to complete the basic plan for the park as well as hired several employees formerly with Walt Disney Imagineering and Universal Creative for the company's own internal design department.

This occurs at the same complex that formerly housed the Opryland USA theme park from 1972 until its closure in 1997 due to a decline in attendance and in-park revenues. Gaylord Entertainment and the Mills Corporation partnered to build Opry Mills, a 'shopper-tainment' shopping mall on the site of the former theme park, that opened in 2000.

Gaylord's current CEO, Colin Reed, has went on the record in recent years commenting on the past management's decision to close Opryland. "It's clear to me that the former administration had no vision or plans for the theme park, which is what led to the declines prior to its closure" said Reed in 2004, not long after taking over Gaylord Entertainment. This is not the first time rumors have circulated as to Gaylord's intentions with a new entertainment enterprise at Gaylord Opryland- as recently as 2007 the company filed for permits on vacant land adjacent to the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center for the addition of an 'entertainment complex', the extent to which was not further alluded at the time. Reed has also went on the record stating it is the company's intentions to build an attraction of some sort to compliment the company's flagship hotel during the slower months of the year for Conventions, a market segment which is now the main focus of Gaylord Hotels.

The source admitted details are sketchy at this point at best and alluded to the fact that the company has not yet even decided whether or not to go with the Opryland name for the new park. Research by The Tennessean, however, has found that Gaylord Entertainment renewed the trademarks on the name 'Opryland USA' and 'Opryland' as recently as this past year. As renovations have finished at a revitalized Gaylord Opryland Resort, which suffered fifteen foot flood waters during the May 2010 floods that devastated parts of the mid-state region, many residents and local leaders feel now is as good a time as ever to push forward with the project. A spokesperson for Gaylord Entertainment said the company does not wish to comment on the matter at this time, but an announcement is expected within the next couple of weeks.
    The opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily represent those of The Dollywood Company.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood

2012: EVOLUTION of DOLLYWOOD ! DollyWould's Avatar
    You should build a RCT3-"West Dollywood" park for the Nashville region!!!
    Last edited by DollyWould; 04-26-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Dollywood 2012...."I'm on the Edge" of the highest point in the park riding on WILD EAGLE!
    DWs Splash Country 2013: SplashWoman rushes new thrills w/ RIVER RUSH water coaster!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Opryland expansion announced

NASHVILLE, TENN
    : Today, executives with Gaylord Entertainment (NYSE: GET) announced an expansion at their Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center which will nearly double the resort's size.

The company intends to rebuild a theme park at its Nashville complex to complement the large sprawling resort and convention center. This in sharp contrast to previous management at the company which replaced the original Opryland Themepark with Opry Mills Mall during the latter half of the 1990's.

"It has always been our intention to add a quality attraction to our Resort to complement our convention business at Opryland Hotel" said CEO Colin Reed at the press conference.

Gaylord Entertainment has retained Six Flags Entertainment Corporation to manage the new Opryland USA. "We felt it prudent to partner with a theme park operator to ensure park operations are maintained to a level of other parks in the region. But make no mistake, we own Opryland and will ensure it's development occurs to our high standards." remarked Reed.

The new Opryland USA is expected to open with just a couple of areas open to the public to begin with with full expansion occuring over the next several years. No specific details on the theme were given, but it was confirmed the park will feature an included with admission water park.

The park will be built on current Opryland Hotel parking lots and maintenance areas and will also include some property previously purchased by the company along the Cumberland River. Construction on Opryland Hotel's new parking garage to compensate for the loss of parking spaces is already underway and park construction is expected to begin in the coming weeks.

Press conference.

Park logo.
    The opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily represent those of The Dollywood Company.

Is that press release a real one, or made up for the RCT? I actually emailed that paper a couple days ago, and they said that a rebuild of Opryland USA is not happening and they plan to reopen the mall at the end of 2012

It's in the RCT forum, so I am pretty safe to say it was for the park he is building in RCT not real. If it were real it would be in a completely different forum. :-)
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Acree View Post
    Is that press release a real one, or made up for the RCT? I actually emailed that paper a couple days ago, and they said that a rebuild of Opryland USA is not happening and they plan to reopen the mall at the end of 2012
    With how little regard they have of that park, I'm not surprised. I'm sure that's gonna piss off those who used to go there even more.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    My question is why Six Flags? Might as well as be the Mills Properties that have managed this mall rather poorly, including the flooding.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Photo update!

Walkway or tram to parking structure.

Opryland Transportation Plaza...

With specific destination signs, of course.

Park signs.

Flash Pass, anyone? At the Rental Center.

Coming soon boards that change for new rides, attractions, shows and festivals. Here is why I chose Six Flags illustrated, it gives me a bit more creative freedom when I can use Fright Fest, Hurricane Harbor, etc.

Entry Plaza.

Guest Relations

Inside Guest Relations guests may purchase tickets, receive information or reserve accommodations at any of the Gaylord properties in Nashville. Also included are the Park Information signs which include park rules and information on the ride rating system.

Corporate philanthropy board at Guest Relations.

More to come.