Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Six Flags America 2012

Six Flags America 2012

According to SFAFans email I just received: Six Flags America today announced Skull Mountain will close July 10 to make way for a 2012 project.

Skull Mountain is out for a new 2012 attraction? That's a fairly large footprint, perhaps a new coaster is finally coming to SFA?...

Poor Six flags America. Such a mistreated park. I really hope they get something nice for 2012.
    -Termination complete-

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood

LOL Maybe they will replace that Intamin flume/ coaster with a Intamin Aquatrax.

Maybe a DDD clone? That park really needs some love
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

That ride has been closed for refurbishments, a new name. Part of it even hangs over The Wild One. This rumored date would be my birthday.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

It's interesting that they are at least doing something. That poor park has been neglected for so long. It needs a lot of love and a huge helping in the operations department.
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

I'm hoping this is something that will make me want to go to the park. If it's good then it could be the deciding factor if I take a DC/mini east coast trip, or just do a trip to the south.

Is the Time Machine going in it place or are they putting a new walkway behind The Wild One to go to Superman?
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I'd like to see the Time Machine moved somewhere else. I hate seeing it just sitting there in the hot sun not being used.
    -Termination complete-

Can this flume be reused at another SF park? I remember being on this attraction when it went backwards via the turntables.

SFA needs one thing: TREES!

Hot pavement: The experience really needs an improvement.

I can't believe anyone goes to that park, considering they refuse to add any investments to the park worth talking about.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I just didn't consider the park to be too mature by The Wild One when I didn't see much trees. I don't take that whole back section of the park seriously.

Cant be as bad as Freestyle Music Park. I don't think those people have heard of trees before,lol.
    Last edited by sclisso; 06-10-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    -Termination complete-

^ That park was built on a field with a lake. There weren't any trees on the site before the park was built so it wasn't like they tore them all out. They actually did a wonderful job landscaping the park with trees, flowers, shrubs, and LOTS of palm trees they just didn't provide shade yet because they were just planted.

Weird Screamscape rumor: SFGAM's Iron Wolf could go on that spot.

Ugh.. Six Flags has really impressed me lately but I hope this isn't true.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Quote Originally Posted by Leo C View Post
    I don't think the people around that park could handle loosing another coaster. They have already lost Chang now they might loose Iron Wolf.

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

^Wrong park, or I misunderstood your comment. Chang is from SFKK, while Iron Wolf is from SFGAM, both are stand up coasters.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

^ For a while SFGAM looked like they were going to get Chang from SFKK and at the last minute it went to SFGADV instead

Quote Originally Posted by Leo C View Post
    Yeesh, SFGADV gets Chang and SFA could get Iron Wolf; seems very par for the course with SFInc... The sad thing is even getting a bad ride like Iron Wolf would be a decent addition for them at this point.

Just checked on Screamscape and they updated saying that Iron Wolf would not be moving, that's a relief.
    Last edited by PANTSFREE; 06-16-2011 at 09:33 PM.

I'll side with a Gerstlauer in the space not taken by a new path from Roar! going behind the Wild One to either the Batwing area or connection to the former Thomas Town. sigh.

I was at the park yesterday. I took some last pics of the flume. There are two boats in the front that say "Final Voyage July 10, 2011." There was hardly a line for Roar but walking up to its station I could see the 1st half of the flume quite well. There is a maintenance dirt path between Roar and Skull Mountain that already has a survey flag on it. I think that part of the ride needs to go for a new path that would go under Superman's second hill and through to open piece of sidewalk by Batwing. I've for long thought a park path should connect that section of the park to the rear. It would technically make the park a figure 8. When I stand by the splash boat near Roar I can see the two coasters: Roar and Mind Eraser. When I'm in Gotham City I could see the four coasters: Wild One, Joker's Jinx, Superman, and Batwing. Why would they need another coaster from these points of view unless it's to replace a Vekoma with a B&M or add a wild mouse? I'm glad Whistlestop Junction arrived. There needed to be flats by Joker's Jinx and Superman. I think a new flat is needed to replace the Enterprise I think used to be by Tower of Doom and on the a path going from Roar to Batwing. A frisbee or a Topspin at least. Maybe one of those swing towers could be on that path? People at Roar could definitely see that then. Going back to Wild One I realized that Two Face was on the real fringe of the park. It's easy to forget now it was there before besides the station remains.
    Last edited by Leo C; 06-26-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Barto View Post
    Maybe a DDD clone? That park really needs some love
    What are you saying? I saw a DDD POV, and it looks like it's 4 feet tall and travels 2 miles an hour, while this kid in back was screaming his head off. Noob

Well the ride is far from 4 feet off the ground and 2 MPH. It is actually 95 feet and 52 MPH. A POV will actually NEVER show you what the ride is really like unless you actually get on it and try it out. I will agree that maybe a DDD clone will work for this park. The park isn't as popular as some of the other SF parks so a DDD clone will compliment it nicely. I have been saying all along that SFOG should have never gotten the ride because it is low capacity, but instead one of their smaller parks should have like this long neglected Six Flags park.
    Last edited by Antoine; 07-05-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

SFA is such a forgotten park by the chain. The last major attraction they added was Blizzard River and that was in 2003.

I finally got the TOD credit last year, as it was broken in 2003 on my previous trip. Also got the break dance credit and loved that ride (can't recall the name, over near Mind Eraser)

The park could be really nice, and being in the DC metro area is a huge possibility for attendance, but the chain seems to have forgotten all about it.

I still don't get the logic of moving the ultra twister there for storage, and then just scrapping the thing. Seems like a huge waste of money to transport it from Houston to DC just to be scrapped.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Forgotten park is an understatement. I'm starting to seriously think that SF does not recall SFA being on their books at all! It really is a shame because this park has so much potential too. I have only been there once back in I want to say 2006. It wasn't a bad place overall. And the crowd was tolerable too. But knowing that they don't really add anything, I have little motivation to go back. Sad part is I am only a couple of hours from the park when I am home. I have lost track of how many times I have driven past the signs for the park only to keep heading to places like KD and BGE. And I almost NEVER drive past an amusement park sign. If it has rides, I clear my schedule to go. But not for SFA....

EDIT: Also I think Ultra Twister had seen its' life cycle pass it by. You could tell it was on borrowed time by the looks of it at Astroworld. I never understood why they moved it either as opposed to scrapping it. I did enjoy my one lap on the ride in 2003, but it clearly could not have made it through another disassembly and assembly at a new park. Why they spent the money to transport it there makes little sense honestly.
    Last edited by Antoine; 07-05-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Six flags needs to sell SFA if they're just going to continue to neglect it like they have. I'd like to see the growing Herchend chain take it over. I'll be super angry if this park does not get something decent in 2012. Shoot, even if they bought the Time machine from FMP and stuck it in the parking lot there it would be nice. Better than having nothing at all I suppose. I've never been to the park, but It still burns me to think they've went this long without a new roller coaster.
    -Termination complete-

They need to complete the path to Batwing from Roar. The front of the park is pretty complete by the swings and Looney Tunes Movietown. It's a nice area and it's alright going to Crackaxle Canyon. It just gets really wide open by Southwest territory and Roar. I wish there was more trees there.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    Well the ride is far from 4 feet off the ground and 2 MPH. It is actually 95 feet and 52 MPH. A POV will actually NEVER show you what the ride is really like unless you actually get on it and try it out. I will agree that maybe a DDD clone will work for this park. The park isn't as popular as some of the other SF parks so a DDD clone will compliment it nicely. I have been saying all along that SFOG should have never gotten the ride because it is low capacity, but instead one of their smaller parks should have like this long neglected Six Flags park.
    I was looking at the CoasterForce POV, in which everything LOOKS slow as molasses.

On the hunt for 400 Thunderhawk's Avatar
    I went to SFA for the first time this weekend even though I've lived fairly close to it my whole coaster riding career. Overall I actually thought it was a decent park. Although they have a limited number of roller coasters, S:ROS is very good and Wild One is also pretty outstanding. Roar has good laterals but lacks airtime.

My first thought for improvements are as follows: TREES. They're those tall brown things with a green bushy end. It was 92 degrees on Sunday when I was there and there was very little cover to be found outside of a coaster station and Johnny Rocket's

Point 2: Ankle restraints on your star attraction. I know why these are here, I know. However, Bizarro has gotten new trains that no longer need the ankle restraints and also are more friendly to their larger guests. I think it is about time they get SFA some new trains so the airtime at the end of the ride doesn't produce a sensation similar to getting kicked in the shin.

Point 3: Now I agree with the roller coaster part. It's time for something new.
    My hardest earned credit is The Legend at Holiday World, first ridden 5.19.2012, exactly 1399 days after my first visit to Holiday World.
    Next up: Off season. Boo.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFGAdv/Cedar Point/SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Ravine Flyer II, Outlaw Run, Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro @ SFNE, New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast