Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Six Flags America 2012

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakAaron View Post
    I was looking at the CoasterForce POV, in which everything LOOKS slow as molasses.
    Eurofighters are actually really fun and quite a lot more intense than they look. And cheap and small enough that that would be a feasible option for SFA.

I would love to see a nice custom EF, but a DDD clone would be better than nothing. It's just that almost all the coasters they have now are clones.

Yep. It's BTR all over again! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!! CLONES ARE EVERYWHERE!!!

Something us enthusiasts fail to realize a lot of times is that these are regional theme parks. Although Six Flags may add a clone to their park, you need to realize that these are not clones to the majority of the theme parks customers. Most people MIGHT visit 5 different amusement parks in their entire life and during that time the chances of them coming across a clone is slim. The chances of them realizing it is a clone is even slimmer. They just are enjoying a different place while us amusement park nerds can tell all the stats of the ride before even looking at the website or going to the park. So when you see a clone, it is not necessarily a bad thing at all. I know if I only went to one amusement park in my life, I would be VERY happy to see B:TR in the park. So think why they do it. People in NJ want to see that B&M inverter just as badly as the people in CA. So instead of flying across the country, why not just add it there? It is cheaper to design a clone while at the same time pleasing the majority of people. Us enthusiasts only make up like MAYBE 50 people in a park on a given day when they are catering towards tens of thousands.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I agree 100%. Clones are anything but bad from a GP and business perspective. Like Antoine said, most people will never be able to tell if or if not it's a clone. An example is while I was at SFA and I got off of S:ROS, I had my "Intimidator 305 V.S. Dominator" shirt on (it has a picture of the rides and stats), and these 13ish year old kids were fascinated by the fact there was another amusement park out there that had big roller coasters. They didn't even know Kings Dominion existed even though they were only two hours away. All they told me is that nothing could ever beat Superman and they went on with the rest of their day. I am assuming they will be just as happy with a DDD clone as they would be if they got an original EF.
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    Something us enthusiasts fail to realize a lot of times is that these are regional theme parks. Although Six Flags may add a clone to their park, you need to realize that these are not clones to the majority of the theme parks customers. Most people MIGHT visit 5 different amusement parks in their entire life and during that time the chances of them coming across a clone is slim. The chances of them realizing it is a clone is even slimmer. They just are enjoying a different place while us amusement park nerds can tell all the stats of the ride before even looking at the website or going to the park. So when you see a clone, it is not necessarily a bad thing at all. I know if I only went to one amusement park in my life, I would be VERY happy to see B:TR in the park. So think why they do it. People in NJ want to see that B&M inverter just as badly as the people in CA. So instead of flying across the country, why not just add it there? It is cheaper to design a clone while at the same time pleasing the majority of people. Us enthusiasts only make up like MAYBE 50 people in a park on a given day when they are catering towards tens of thousands.
    ^Truth. So much of the stuff. You're the preacher to TN's church, man. You must have a degree in Philosophy and Being Amazing.
    Last edited by KodiakAaron; 07-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Clones aren't all that bad in my opinion except for the SLC's. I could live without another SLC credit I guess. Although Thunderhawk from Geauga Lake was actually decent and I went back and rode it a second time!

The B:TR's are all solid rides from my experience, so I don't mind them at all either. The B:TR clone as a whole is an excellent model and all 3 I've been on I liked.

I'm thinking why do we worry about this so much. You don't go to Ford and say 'BUILD ME A CUSTOM CAR! I REFUSE TO DRIVE A CAR WHERE THERE IS ONE SIMILAR TO IT IN EXISTENCE!".

Custom isn't everything: Look at Son of Beast.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Clones aren't all that bad in my opinion except for the SLC's. I could live without another SLC credit I guess. Although Thunderhawk from Geauga Lake was actually decent and I went back and rode it a second time!The B:TR's are all solid rides from my experience, so I don't mind them at all either. The B:TR clone as a whole is an excellent model and all 3 I've been on I liked.I'm thinking why do we worry about this so much. You don't go to Ford and say 'BUILD ME A CUSTOM CAR! I REFUSE TO DRIVE A CAR WHERE THERE IS ONE SIMILAR TO IT IN EXISTENCE!".Custom isn't everything: Look at Son of Beast.
    ^You can has truth too. But I'll still make a Wes VS Antoine thread in The Pub.

^^lol You can't make a comment without a SOB mention huh? lol But you are right though, clones aren't that bad. I agree I could do without another SLC though because I haven't found one that I like yet. SOME of their boomerangs are ok. The one at Geiselwind was actually very smooth. I was shocked! But as far as B:TR goes, it is still a stellar ride. No it isn't my favorite inverter, but is a ride you can't pass up in a park either. I think I have ridden about 8 of the clones (to include the ones not named Batman) and never tire of it.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

It's funny how much better their boomerangs got when they flipped the track. The Inverted Boomerangs are fun and that Giant Inverted Boomerangs are awesome.
    Thunderhawk was okay, but I will not be forgiving Vekoma for T2 any time soon.

Farewell Skull Mountain! Today was it's last day. I heard it had a pirate themed sendoff. I last rode it as the Typhoon Sea Coaster with all turntables fully working and I went through that one section completely in reverse. It gave a lil splash. I got to the park during the last weekends it ran but due to time I did not ride it for the last time at end of the June. Farewell.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Quote Originally Posted by steel View Post
    I will not be forgiving Vekoma for T2 any time soon.
    Me either. The jolt to my back that ride gave me was so bad the ride should've been melted down at the very moment I got off the thing.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

^If it's like the jolt Fahrenheit gave me exiting the cobra roll: ouch.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

NEWSFLASH! I saw on another site a picture of a fence surrounding Skull Mountain with a green privacy screen. The Skull Mountain mouth on the final drop was in the background. On the fence was a large red sign that looked like a ticket with this current "Go Big Go Six Flags" campaign verbage: "Making room for something Bigger in 2012"

Now Screamscape says Iron Wolf will be removed from SFGAM, meaning that ride could potentially come to SFA. Ugh.

I've long said a Gerstlauer euro-fighter or spinning coaster would be perfect for the park.

One member on my site apparently believes the park president has the power to trump the COO, CEO etc in deciding what stays and what goes.

Also, he asked the park about the ride and he got this:

Hello (name removed),

Thank you for your interest in Six Flags Great America and taking the time to contact me.

As an avid supporter of keeping Great America's classic rides at Great America, I can assure you that Iron Wolf will thrill guests for many years to come.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

Thank you, and have a Six Flags day!

Hank Salemi
    Park President
    Six Flags Great America
    He takes it that Iron Wolf is staying. But he tells us not to reference GASM. Even though this is a similar situation.

Park officials are forced into confidentiality contracts with the park. If Hank knew the ride would be leaving he cant say anything. He could but he would be getting a fine or even lose his job. If they did this with GASM why wouldn't they do the same thing again with Iron Wolf?

Also, just thought I would point out that the letter never claims that Iron Wolf will be staying, just that it will be thrilling guests for years to come.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Does Batwing count as a pure loop for the park? Otherwise the park doesn't have a traditional one that Iron Wolf could bring. I think the park needs something smaller like a wild mouse or spinner. I might even dare with this Eurofighter. I was lucky enough or unlucky enough to ride Iron Wolf finally last year at SFGAM. I don't know if I want it to come to SFA.

I think the layout is good. But I think if they move it they will buy new trains for it because it is going to be a long-term addition.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion

Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

The first B&M, the first B&M train ever too. I think they would replace it. Will SFGADV keep all three of their Green Lantern trains? They are running the three trains quite well for the ride's debut there. I'm impressed at SFGADV.

UGH SFGAM has so much B&M history. Why can't they just keep it there?
    And apart from that, it pisses me off in a whole different way that (a) they're trying to bring back the stupid standup coaster fad and (b) the best they can do at SFA is give it one of SFGAM's worst coasters.

Last year my view was the chain could only buy small new steel coasters or wooden ones or move current assets for the time being as they were reintroducing stock in the stock market and recovering from the '09 bankruptcy. Unfortunately the moving may be continuing.

Actually I think they are in good enough financial health that they could afford at least one major coaster a year. But I hope not because I would like to see them out of debt entirely, but they are on better ground than Cedar Fair is.

And Steel, the reason everyone thinks it sucks is because it runs using terrible prototype trains. They had no idea how to make a good stand-up design back then so now they have gotten a pretty decent design. Its kind of like you just built this awesome $1500 computer but for the operating system you used Windows 95 instead of Windows 7. T2 at my home park is in the same situation as well. Great coaster for the area and park but the prototype trains make people think its rough (I never had a rough ride on it).

It sucks because it's a standup coaster. Even Riddler, which is easily the best standup built, is at a distinct disadvantage because of the uncomfortable position you're forced into. Yeah, the prototype trains don't help, but the whole concept doesn't work. Iron Wolf isn't even that bad, the point is that SFA can (and needs to) do way ​better.

I wasn't uncomfortable on the Riddler's Revenge. It depends on whether the train is vibrating like the one time I was on Mantis. That could be the wheels. Besides the train Iron Wolf looked so prototype with that trim brake mount on the track coming out of the loop before it enters the second half. It's that piece of track that suddenly dips down with clearance for a brake that never came.

I agree with Steel with the fresh as can be new. That would at least be the Eurofighter. They deserve that kind of new.

It's going to get it apparently. Its still a great coaster that can last another 15+ years so it saves the chain alot of money. Probably going to the use the money saved on SFA's 2012 addition to build something that SFA needs over at SFGAM where Wolf used to stand.

Also, I just saw where you mentioned the skull mountain mouth was still at SFA. What if they kept it around and used it for the new coaster? Maybe like you drop out of the mouth or something? I've never been to SFA or seen many pictures so I have no idea if it's even possible.

I wish I could tell you if the structure for the mouth is independent from the assembly of the ride drop. SFOG knocked down the Drive In Theater in the USA section but kept the Drive In sign as a prop. I can see SF saving this piece of theming if it's possible. Member Batwing SFA could probably tell us but he hasn't posted here in about 2 years. Looks like the drought of a new coaster wore him out.

I must have sinned: I've thought of Iron Wolf in a green track and black supports paint job. The one thing Iron Wolf has unique is a super fat support in the turnaround.

If they keep the Skull Mountain theming could they name the coaster Goonies: The Ride? Looking at Wikipedia I see for the Goonies movie: "Studio -Amblin Entertainment
    Distributed by Warner Bros." Does that mean WB could get us the rights?

Screamscape mentioned the ride could be themed to the Apocalypse like the SFMM wooden coaster.
    Last edited by Leo C; 07-26-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Minetrain Poster
    Permit application for a relocated stand up coaster at SFA found!! Almost a lock that IW is headed to SFA. Six Flags America yea yea yea I know it is screamscape and that they aren't very reliable but I actually went and looked up the real permit and it does exsist.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo C View Post
    I wish I could tell you if the structure for the mouth is independent from the assembly of the ride drop. SFOG knocked down the Drive In Theater in the USA section but kept the Drive In sign as a prop. I can see SF saving this piece of theming if it's possible. Member Batwing SFA could probably tell us but he hasn't posted here in about 2 years. Looks like the drought of a new coaster wore him out.
    He's around other sites ripping the park pretty good, at least I think its the same guy.

Oh well, at least its something, and that is better than nothing. Has someone who has been on Iron Wolf and Shockwave (KD) at least confirm that Iron Wolf is slightly better? I can see the advertisements now... "Come ride our 'new' stand up coaster, it sucks slightly less than the one at Kings Dominion!"

Minetrain Poster
    From SFA Facebook

So I know everyone's been burning to find out what's coming to Six Flags America next year... Well if you can stand to wait just a little bit longer, I'll be posting some hints within the next hour!!!
    /Me is excited.

Well they just confirmed it in that quote. "Well if you can STAND ​to wait"
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast