Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Dollywood thread

Who all is going to Coasterfest?
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

So does amyone know if Timber Tower will be operating in the 2012 season? Or is it going to be removed ?

Probably won't be operating this year, as they have filed a lawsuit with the manufacturer of Timber Tower, HUSS, and a ruling has not been made.

Timberrr tower is still not listed on Dollywood's website so it's a safe assumption that it will not be operating this year unless something drastically changes.

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

I'd say they'll remove the thing...or I'd hope. I guess time will tell.
    -Termination complete-

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood

I never got a chance to do Timber Tower? Was it really any good? It does suck they have an attraction just sitting there though...

It was pretty tame. I rode it once, and I wasn't very impressed by it. You aren't missing much.
    -Termination complete-

My family thought it was fun because it was a little different from a lot of the 'usual rides.' We'd much rather have a ride in its place that works every time we're there. We caught it one time, and it was down for the rest of our trips there.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

Check out the video I posted on the dollywood construction page.

2012: EVOLUTION of DOLLYWOOD ! DollyWould's Avatar

Timberrr Tower's removal

Theme Park Tourist is reporting that the Timberrr Tower is on the way out. A settlement has been reached between DW & Huss and the ride is likely to remain closed permanetly. Perhaps 2013's addition will be a replacement for the ill-fated attraction. How about adding a nice drop tower? The footprint is already there without extensive modification. Dollywood: Timber Tower ride "likely not to reopen" | Theme Park Tourist
    Dollywood 2012...."I'm on the Edge" of the highest point in the park riding on WILD EAGLE!
    DWs Splash Country 2013: SplashWoman rushes new thrills w/ RIVER RUSH water coaster!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Quote Originally Posted by DollyWould View Post
    Theme Park Tourist is reporting that the Timberrr Tower is on the way out. A settlement has been reached between DW & Huss and the ride is likely to remain closed permanetly. Perhaps 2013's addition will be a replacement for the ill-fated attraction. How about adding a nice drop tower? The footprint is already there without extensive modification. Dollywood: Timber Tower ride "likely not to reopen" | Theme Park Tourist
    I remember Pete saying something about wanting the old drop tower from Celebration City at the ACE event this past year

2012: EVOLUTION of DOLLYWOOD ! DollyWould's Avatar
    ^^^That would be interesting. Personally I would prefer a taller tower with a higher rider capacity. I actually saw that one from the highway in Branson when I visited SDC in October 2010. Is that tower an S&S launcher/Space Shot type? Maybe this will be a bonus attraction & not necessarily the major 2013 addition (which given Hershend's conservative & economic-sensitive nature, they won't be spending another $20 million for next year at DW). Sorry for the 2013 talk...I know it's wayyy to early!
    Dollywood 2012...."I'm on the Edge" of the highest point in the park riding on WILD EAGLE!
    DWs Splash Country 2013: SplashWoman rushes new thrills w/ RIVER RUSH water coaster!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

What a shame I really did like Timber Tower for some lucky reason it was always opened for me through 07-10 seasons every time I went & always loved it me and my little brother have one memory on it were me and him were the only people on the ride & all the effects were working thats probably my favorite memory I have of this ride im actually going to miss it.

Although Wile Eagle hasn't even opened yeat, I keep wondering where they're gonna go next as far as new areas. I'd imagine going back and spicing up some older sections for the next few years, but I'm curious how everything is going to go as they travel up the hill into the train loop, if that ever happens. I'm sure it's going to be interesting for the next 4-5 years with dollywood.
    -Termination complete-

The 50s area needs TLC. Think about it they've rejuvinated every part of the park but that one. I'd kill too see a Gravity Group wooden coaster over there.

Something like the Wooden Warrior would be a great fit for that area of the park. That would bring a family-style coaster to the park and be a great fit for that area.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

^^ But they just did that major overhaul with all those new flats back in 2006 I think it was. And took out the best water ride in the park.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I thought the el dorado ride from kings dominion would be a nice addition to the area. And, of course, a new coaster would be amazing, especially to that area.

Love to see a sweet inverted coaster with a "runaway zip line theme" twisting thru the trees some where at the park.

I agree with Daniel, a nice woodie would be a nice addition to the Country Fair area. Just don't get rid of the Ducks, Pig Parade and Flying Bumble Bees. My kids would be devastated.

I know SDC has a launched and Dolly does not, so I could see a multi-launch going somewhere in the park. Would be neat to see it in the 50's area with a car theme to it.

Well considering all the cash just dropped on Wild Eagle, I'm ok with no big additions for a while.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Anyone else going to Dollywood on March 24th? We should host a meet up! Not an official event but just a group of people from TN meeting up at the park. I know that 5 or 6 are already going for that day so who else is planning to go?
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Is there a deal that anyone knows about for purchasing season passes this year? I've either gotten a season pass from Food City or last year from Dollywoods main website.

Editor
    The best time to get a Season pass to Dollywood is during the Christmas Festival, You get the remainder of the season that's going on plus all the next season and all you pay is $25.00 after you upgrade your regular admission ticket! It's a little more if you get a gold pass too!

the next best thing is to order your pass Via the newsletter you get (if you were a pass holder for the prior season, you can save ten dollars if pay for 2 passes, twenty dollars for three passes and so on. Did this help you out?
    The Adventure is coming! 2014 Coaster Draft picks
    Kingda Ka, Wild Eagle, ​Bahemath, The Kraken, FireChaser Express, Mavrick, Medusa,Storm Runner, WildFire, Trade: Alpengeist
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: ThunderHead | Steel Roller Coaster: Wild Eagle

This is a very random thought but does anyone think Dollywood would reconfigure the seats on mystery mine with lap bars so the ride would be a lot smoother?

Quote Originally Posted by slappybob View Post
    This is a very random thought but does anyone think Dollywood would reconfigure the seats on mystery mine with lap bars so the ride would be a lot smoother?
    I was pondering that after I rode Dare Devil Dive. I really hope they will, but the set up for the lap bar restraints just don't fit the traditional 4 across euro train that is on Mystery Mine. I'll show in a picture below.

Dare Devil Dive restraints:

From RCDB. Photo by Randy Dewberry
    As you can see, the restraints have an Intamin look to them meaning that the seats have to be further apart to fit the massive arm that's attached to them

Mystery Mine's restraints:

From RCDB. Photo by Robert Ulrich / PlayRide
    As you can see the seats are far too close together to fit the lap bar configuration that's on Dare Devil Dive. Maybe Gerstlauer can come up with a restraint that would fit, but as of now I wouldn't bet on it.

Yea I really hope gerslauer can come up with a lap bar restraint for Mystery Mine in the near future it would really make the ride a lot better IMO

Btw did anyone get a picture of timber tower area since they removed it?
    Last edited by Daniel Barto; 03-03-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Double post. In the futre, use the edit button rather than make a new post :)

Quote Originally Posted by slappybob View Post
    I'm fairly certain this would be an impossibility given the fact that the ride inverts twice and on the last loop before you reach the train station you literally experience "hang time" for a little less than a second. No way I'd feel comfortable riding that ride with just a lap restraint.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A View Post
    The best time to get a Season pass to Dollywood is during the Christmas Festival, You get the remainder of the season that's going on plus all the next season and all you pay is $25.00 after you upgrade your regular admission ticket! It's a little more if you get a gold pass too!

the next best thing is to order your pass Via the newsletter you get (if you were a pass holder for the prior season, you can save ten dollars if pay for 2 passes, twenty dollars for three passes and so on. Did this help you out?
    Perhaps.... But I don't get the news letter often and the current sale they are having on the website ends on March 11. I called Food City and they said that if you buy them from there you average roughly 20% less for season passes as opposed to buying them directly from Dollywood. I have no way to varify that for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post
    I'm fairly certain this would be an impossibility given the fact that the ride inverts twice and on the last loop before you reach the train station you literally experience "hang time" for a little less than a second. No way I'd feel comfortable riding that ride with just a lap restraint.
    Idk if they could do this but they could put those little shoulder bars like they have on steel hawk if they converted to lapbars

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast