Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Dollywood thread

I have a mixed bag of things to share regarding DW here. I'll start with the Festival of Nations this year: We only got to see a few shows this year but my biggest complaint would have to be for the Irish show(Spirit of the dance). Out of all the years DW has hosted festival of nations this was the worst in my opinion. The lead female vocalist, bless her heart, just couldn't really sing. The music was so loud that it drowned out the clogging on stage and my sister and I swore that they added clogging sound effects into the background of the music rather than allowing us to hear the actual dancers at times. The coup de gras was the italian duet song that was sung towards the end. It's a beautiful song don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of it normally, but the fact that it was being sung in an IRISH show was baffling.

My next review is of Mimirichi's "Paper World"(Ukraine): We were pleasantly surprised by this show! It was fun, funny, and very entertaining! I hope they come back next year and I'd recommend it to anyone. They even got involved with the audience.

Atahualpa(South american pan flute band): They sounded fantastic as always, and they never seem to let you down.

The Zambian vocal group this year was good, I only wish they had done some more traditional songs or more african "from home" type songs.

My last addition would be to recommend installing a bathroom somewhere near TT/WE area. The closest bathroom on this corner of the park is right behind Mystery Mine, next to River Battle. Please put another bathroom on that back corner of the park.
    Last edited by Coug; 04-30-2012 at 02:12 PM.

I know you're right in the middle of bathrooms there. There's one down near the old Tenn. Tornado sign area, but that's a bit of a walk too.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post
    I have a mixed bag of things to share regarding <acronym style="cursor: default;" title="Dollywood">DW</acronym> here. I'll start with the Festival of Nations this year: We only got to see a few shows this year but my biggest complaint would have to be for the Irish show(Spirit of the dance). Out of all the years <acronym style="cursor: default;" title="Dollywood">DW</acronym> has hosted festival of nations this was the worst in my opinion. The lead female vocalist, bless her heart, just couldn't really sing. The music was so loud that it drowned out the clogging on stage and my sister and I swore that they added clogging sound effects into the background of the music rather than allowing us to hear the actual dancers at times. The coup de gras was the italian duet song that was sung towards the end. It's a beautiful song don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of it normally, but the fact that it was being sung in an IRISH show was baffling.

My next review is of Mimirichi's "Paper World"(Ukraine): We were pleasantly surprised by this show! It was fun, funny, and very entertaining! I hope they come back next year and I'd recommend it to anyone. They even got involved with the audience. .
    I would have to agree. the wife and I went to the Irish Dance show on opening day and fell asleep watching it. My kids loved Paper World, in fact we made a last minute trip yesterday just to see them before they left.

Another show you didn't mention worth seeing was "las pampas gauchos." If you missed it here they are...

2014 Coaster Draft : El Toro (SFGA) , Bizarro (SFNE), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Nemesis (Alton Towers), Blue Fire Megacoaster (Europa Park), Black Mamba (Phantasialand), Twister (Grona Lund), Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion) , Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), Cheetah Hunt (BGTampa)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I know you're right in the middle of bathrooms there. There's one down near the old Tenn. Tornado sign area, but that's a bit of a walk too.
    If they could put one between TT and WE it would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jay37415 View Post
    I would have to agree. the wife and I went to the Irish Dance show on opening day and fell asleep watching it. My kids loved Paper World, in fact we made a last minute trip yesterday just to see them before they left.

Another show you didn't mention worth seeing was "las pampas gauchos." If you missed it here they are...

Thanks for posting the video! That's one of the ones we wanted to see but didn't have time to.

2012: EVOLUTION of DOLLYWOOD ! DollyWould's Avatar
    Does anyone know if the Imagination Cinema is going to swap out the Smoky Mountain Wildnerness Adventure Tour for a different film during Kids Fest this year? Dollywood hasn't promoted "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" to return this year, but on the park's website the SMWAT is listed as not being available from June 17 to August 14. Surely they're not doing rehab work during the peek summer months???!!!???
    Dollywood 2012...."I'm on the Edge" of the highest point in the park riding on WILD EAGLE!
    DWs Splash Country 2013: SplashWoman rushes new thrills w/ RIVER RUSH water coaster!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

I kinda had the same question. when I was there getting the kiddos measured Sunday, I noticed the marquee had a sign for "SMWAT" and for coming soon was, "The Polar express," My guess is that the licensing ran out on Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and they didn't renew it. Personally, I didn't like the "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs." Also, I noticed that they dropped the "Veggie Tales" off of the kiddie coaster so maybe there is a trend here.
    2014 Coaster Draft : El Toro (SFGA) , Bizarro (SFNE), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Nemesis (Alton Towers), Blue Fire Megacoaster (Europa Park), Black Mamba (Phantasialand), Twister (Grona Lund), Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion) , Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), Cheetah Hunt (BGTampa)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath

I agree with all of the sentiments about the Irish dance show posted so far. It was far below my expectations for a headline show at a park known for their shows. Incredibly disappointing. The Paper World show, however, delivered way above my expectations. That show had me smiling the whole time and was truly memorable. I'd be all for bringing them back next year.

On a separate note, does anyone know what the next big show will be at Dollywood? With Sha-Kon-O-Hey no longer playing I'm curious to see what will be there this summer and fall.

Also, it appears that you can now buy Q2Q online and in advance now. Should be helpful for those folks planning on going on busier days.

^I'm sorry, what...???? NO MORE SHA-KON-O-HEY!? What is this nonsense?? Why is it not coming back?

But, with that said, I vote that DW takes the 2013 season and overhaul the shows. I'm tired of Dreamland Drive In, tired of Twas the Night Before Christmas and tired of Country Cross Roads. We need new shows!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood, given it's the best (only) park within driving distance of me... | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead (Dollywood) | Steel Roller Coaster: Tennessee Tornado (Dollywood).....Mystery Mine (Dollywood (2007))

A new record was set this past weekend for Dollywood. Just over 27,700 guests walked through the gates on Saturday, a new all time high attendance record for a single day. Beautiful weather, Mother's Day weekend, Dolly on the park, and Wild Eagle likely contributed to the new record. I was there and you could hardly move around. Huge lines for everything.
    www.youtube.com/dollywood48
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Mystery Mine

Dolly was ON the park? lol

That's isane busy, glad I wasn't there.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I was at Dollywood on Saturday as well. It's was an unusal day indeed! 2 hour wait time for Wild Eagle! Another factor that brought in the additional guests was the fact of it being "Bring A Friend Free" time for season passholders through May 25 (with no Saturday black-outs as in years past). Splash Country was also having their open house for passholders. The parking lot there was not only accomodating cars for that event but was also providing for the overflow from Dollywood!

It was nice seeing Dolly again, too. I heard that she made a statement that 2013 may not bring a ride addition at Dollywood. Looks like it will be year to re-focus on the shows with Dreamland Drive-In leaving after this season and no major regular production at the Celebrity Theater this year.
    Last edited by DollyWould; 05-15-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    Dollywood 2012...."I'm on the Edge" of the highest point in the park riding on WILD EAGLE!
    DWs Splash Country 2013: SplashWoman rushes new thrills w/ RIVER RUSH water coaster!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Yeah, I was there Sat as well taking advantage of the bring a friend free,haha. It was absolutely crazy!! I got a q bot and still had to wait a little to get on the rides. It was nuts!
    -Termination complete-

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood

Quote Originally Posted by DollyWould View Post
    It was nice seeing Dolly again, too. I heard that she made a statement that 2013 may not bring a ride addition at Dollywood. Looks like it will be year to re-focus on the shows with Dreamland Drive-In leaving after this season and no major regular production at the Celebrity Theater this year.
    So, is DLDI officially out after this year?

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood, given it's the best (only) park within driving distance of me... | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead (Dollywood) | Steel Roller Coaster: Tennessee Tornado (Dollywood).....Mystery Mine (Dollywood (2007))

Went the weekend of April 29th with my family, mostly so we could upgrade our day passes from Covenant Health. I was quickly reminded why I completely avoid DW on the weekends . For a long time season pass holder it simply isn't worth it to try to go to DW on the weekends unless you absolutely have to, imo.

Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by CoasterKid_2006 View Post
    So, is DLDI officially out after this year?
    Yes, I mean I would think so. I think they need some new shows anyway! lol
    The Adventure is coming! 2014 Coaster Draft picks
    Kingda Ka, Wild Eagle, ​Bahemath, The Kraken, FireChaser Express, Mavrick, Medusa, ​Full Throttle, Storm Runner, WildFire
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: ThunderHead | Steel Roller Coaster: Wild Eagle

I saw this article that apparently came out 2 months ago(March) about the latest news on SkyZip. http://themountainpress.com/view/ful...al_top_stories
    Apparently Dollywood is going to take over this operation themselves? Does this mean that there will still be a charge and does anyone know when it will actually be open if not already? Last I was at DW was April 29th and there was no one at the booth.

Sorry if this is a double post but I haven't seen this info on any of the other DW related threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post
    I saw this article that apparently came out 2 months ago(March) about the latest news on SkyZip. Apparently Dollywood is going to take over this operation themselves? Does this mean that there will still be a charge and does anyone know when it will actually be open if not already? Last I was at DW was April 29th and there was no one at the booth.
    I was on park yesterday & SkyZip was operating before the rain and lightening came. It now costs $30 instead of $45 (the website says no discounts apply; so no 20% off for Gold Season Passholders) Here's the link: http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/rides/SkyZip.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DollyWould View Post
    I was on park yesterday & SkyZip was operating before the rain and lightening came. It now costs $30 instead of $45 (the website says no discounts apply; so no 20% off for Gold Season Passholders) Here's the link: http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/rides/SkyZip.aspx
    Thanks for the info! Went with a friend this past Tuesday and they were up and running and we watched a couple people zip lining right above the walkway towards Wild Eagle.

I guess I'll post this here.

I went to dollywood for the first time this past saturday (6-2-12) with my wife as a part of our first anniversry vacation. We had decided to go to that area of tennessee because it was a bit of a cheaper trip compared to others we were looking at and we both had not been there since we were kids. We stayed in a cabin in sevierville 15 minutes from dollywood.

Upon arriving at dollywood i think the thing that interested me most was the fact that you can hardly see any of the rides from the parking lot. I think only the tops of wild eagle were visable. We bought our tickets at the park, i found it odd that instead of getting singles back i got dolly dollars or whatever they are called. They are intetesting but i would prefer getting actual cash back.

We got in and headed straight for wild eagle. Had to wait about 15 mimutes before they started letting people on. We rode the front left side. I loved the ride but ill admit i dont think i enjoyed it as much as i enjoyed the next ride. We rode wild eagle again at the end of the day line was about 45 minute wait. We rode the back right side. This spot was much mote fun than the front. The whip in the back was awesome. Im yhe type that loves the front seat but the back is better in my opinion on wild eagle.

We then went over to mystery mine waited maybe 5 minutes to get on. I had never been on a euro fighter or anything like this for that matter. Going into it i had some negative thoughts because of reading that it was rough especially in the back row. We were in the back and the whole time the ride had me giggling like a little girl it was so fun. We rode a second time late in the day back row again. About a 20 minute wait.

Next we went to thunderhead. I had no idea what to expect. This ride took my breath away eith how fast it went through the entire track. Probably my second favorite wooden coaster now behind the beast. It was walk on in the morning we sat in a middle row. 15 minute wait late in the day for the second ride. We sat in the front.

After thunderhead we went to check out the front of the park. We rode some of the small rides while waiting for the trains next departure. Dizzy disk was pretty fun.

We got on the train to see what it was like. Its definitly the best of the train rides i have ever been on at a park.

After the train it was time to find some food and go to barnstormer. We decided to eat at miss lillians bbq pit. I loved the beans and the potatoes but i thought the pulled pork bbq sandwich was a bit lackluster compaired to other places i have ate at. I had higher hopes and was let down. Which was a theme for a short bit.

Time for barnstormer, we love skyhawk at cedar point so we were looking forward to this. The seats were more uncomfortable, the ride time was shorter, and it did not go as high or at least as verticle. Loved the themeing around it but yeah it was a disappointment.

Next was yhe little water slides next to barnstormer. I cant remember what they are called but they were a ton of fun. We only rode once.

We then did some looking around all of the shopes for a bit. During that we stumbled upon daredevil falls. I liked it. Didnt get too wet but enough to cool off.

The birds of prey show and the eagle reserve were awesome. I loved being able to get that close to some large birds i had never been thay close to before. It was very entertaining. The golden eagle was the highlight for me.

After the show we went to blazing fury. There was a ten minute wait and we had no idea what it even was. We got in line waited, then rode it. Just to get off and think "was that a joke?" people actually wait for that thing? I just hope all those other people were like me and didnt know what it was. Lesson learned though. At least i got my back popped really good in a spot i had been trying to get to pop for weeks. Thats a plus.

We then womdered over to tennessee tornado. I was expecting a rough ride like vortex. I was quite surprised with how much i loved the ride. It wasnt rough at all too me. It was walk on both times we rode it.

At one poiny between our second rides of everything i stopped and got a slice of pizza from lumberjack pizza. Im a sucker for a gimmick. THe pizza was average at best. Filled us up though.

Overall i really liked the park. The scenery was awesome and everyone there employees and guests were very nice. We plan on going back at some point and have suggested to a few friends to go because it was very enjoyable.

Please note that i did this on my phone. For some reason it doesnt auto-correct things. If i would have taken the time to fix everything it would have doubled my time. Also it wouldnt let me switch to the full site. Im sorry for the for making it harder to read.

I hope you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by APE View Post
    I guess I'll post this here.

I went to dollywood for the first time this past saturday (6-2-12) with my wife as a part of our first anniversry vacation. We had decided to go to that area of tennessee because it was a bit of a cheaper trip compared to others we were looking at and we both had not been there since we were kids. We stayed in a cabin in sevierville 15 minutes from dollywood.

Upon arriving at dollywood i think the thing that interested me most was the fact that you can hardly see any of the rides from the parking lot. I think only the tops of wild eagle were visable. We bought our tickets at the park, i found it odd that instead of getting singles back i got dolly dollars or whatever they are called. They are intetesting but i would prefer getting actual cash back.

We got in and headed straight for wild eagle. Had to wait about 15 mimutes before they started letting people on. We rode the front left side. I loved the ride but ill admit i dont think i enjoyed it as much as i enjoyed the next ride. We rode wild eagle again at the end of the day line was about 45 minute wait. We rode the back right side. This spot was much mote fun than the front. The whip in the back was awesome. Im yhe type that loves the front seat but the back is better in my opinion on wild eagle.

We then went over to mystery mine waited maybe 5 minutes to get on. I had never been on a euro fighter or anything like this for that matter. Going into it i had some negative thoughts because of reading that it was rough especially in the back row. We were in the back and the whole time the ride had me giggling like a little girl it was so fun. We rode a second time late in the day back row again. About a 20 minute wait.

Next we went to thunderhead. I had no idea what to expect. This ride took my breath away eith how fast it went through the entire track. Probably my second favorite wooden coaster now behind the beast. It was walk on in the morning we sat in a middle row. 15 minute wait late in the day for the second ride. We sat in the front.

After thunderhead we went to check out the front of the park. We rode some of the small rides while waiting for the trains next departure. Dizzy disk was pretty fun.

We got on the train to see what it was like. Its definitly the best of the train rides i have ever been on at a park.

After the train it was time to find some food and go to barnstormer. We decided to eat at miss lillians bbq pit. I loved the beans and the potatoes but i thought the pulled pork bbq sandwich was a bit lackluster compaired to other places i have ate at. I had higher hopes and was let down. Which was a theme for a short bit.

Time for barnstormer, we love skyhawk at cedar point so we were looking forward to this. The seats were more uncomfortable, the ride time was shorter, and it did not go as high or at least as verticle. Loved the themeing around it but yeah it was a disappointment.

Next was yhe little water slides next to barnstormer. I cant remember what they are called but they were a ton of fun. We only rode once.

We then did some looking around all of the shopes for a bit. During that we stumbled upon daredevil falls. I liked it. Didnt get too wet but enough to cool off.

The birds of prey show and the eagle reserve were awesome. I loved being able to get that close to some large birds i had never been thay close to before. It was very entertaining. The golden eagle was the highlight for me.

After the show we went to blazing fury. There was a ten minute wait and we had no idea what it even was. We got in line waited, then rode it. Just to get off and think "was that a joke?" people actually wait for that thing? I just hope all those other people were like me and didnt know what it was. Lesson learned though. At least i got my back popped really good in a spot i had been trying to get to pop for weeks. Thats a plus.

We then womdered over to tennessee tornado. I was expecting a rough ride like vortex. I was quite surprised with how much i loved the ride. It wasnt rough at all too me. It was walk on both times we rode it.

At one poiny between our second rides of everything i stopped and got a slice of pizza from lumberjack pizza. Im a sucker for a gimmick. THe pizza was average at best. Filled us up though.

Overall i really liked the park. The scenery was awesome and everyone there employees and guests were very nice. We plan on going back at some point and have suggested to a few friends to go because it was very enjoyable.

Please note that i did this on my phone. For some reason it doesnt auto-correct things. If i would have taken the time to fix everything it would have doubled my time. Also it wouldnt let me switch to the full site. Im sorry for the for making it harder to read.

I hope you enjoy.
    The name of the waterslide ride you're trying to think of is Mountain Sidewinder, right next to Barnstormer. IMO that is THE wetest ride in the park, second to River Battle of course if you chose to go on it.

I love Barnstormer personally but I've never experienced Skyhawk.

Blazing Fury is a classic ride, hard to appreciate probably for new park goers who might be expecting something big. It was built in 1978 and virtually unchanged since then aside from maintenance and safety of course. You can read more about the history here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazing_Fury

Personally I think the best food in the park is the outdoor food areas(Market Square, Sausage Works, and Big Skillet, all 3 in the same area) located right next to the circular waterfountain. They have sausages, cheesesteak sandwhiches and other choices all in the same area. Also the food shack(Papaw's Flat Bread) right next to the railroad crossing is really good, right near where you board the train. They have this chicken flat bread fajita like meal that's really good. Funnel cakes are always excellent and the sweet treats(ice cream, slushies, frozen lemonades) you can get just about anywhere scattered around the park are a win. I have to admit the pork rinds, if you like pork rinds, are the best. Better than any you can buy at a store imo.

We also got cinnabread. It was pretty good.

With blazing fury its hard for me to care if it is a classic ride or not when i have rides like the beast i get to go on a regular basis. It was built a year after this. Im just not a fan it was boring as could be and had a line which is what threw me off.

Hey... Dollywood is hinting at a new "HUGE" announcement coming soon. An I havent been there in a month, but somebody noted that the queue area for TT has been removed so this may be an announcement for a replacement...Any speculations?

^ too expand on that here's the clues... my guess is the "huge surprise" will either be free admission for dads on fathers day OR a super hero ride for KidsFest in the motion theatre.

• Hmm...I just received a very interesting email. It contained a short sound clip and a weird abstract looking picture. The email address that it came from was blocked. They told me that I had to post the contents of the email on the Dollywood Facebook page if I wanted to be a “super hero.” (Clearly, I want to be a super hero.) They also said that they will be sending other clues this week and as lo...See More

Unidentified SoundUnidentified Sound - Unidentified Sound

http://social.dollywood.com/vBe
      Source: social.dollywood.com

Dollywood

8 hours ago via Dollywood Publisher

• GUESS WHAT? I just received a new clue. It was sent by the same blocked email and contained the video clip below. Maybe we can get one of those big spotlights with a superhero logo to shine in the sky! I would consider that to be a "one-of-a-kind HUGE surprise."

via Dollywood Publisher

Whatever the huge surprise is, it may be revealed as soon as this Saturday when Dolly will be on park to take part in a "media announcement" as reported by Dollymania.net last week. The rollercoaster exhibit from the National Rollercoaster Museum (located in Dolly's former Rags to Riches Museum above the cave passthrough) should be opening around the same time as Coaster Con begins at Dollywood on Sunday.

Im gonna take a shot in the dark but I think the "HUGE" accouncement is a new Lumber Jack attraction where TT used to be

I got to wondering if, as part of the settlement with Huss, that Huss had to replace TT. So I went digging on their website and found this.... it definitely fits the clues. Just don't know how the theming would go if they were to put it where TT used to be.

http://www.hussrides.com/classic-rides/fly-away.html

That ride looks beast maybe they could theme it to saw?

Please see... http://blogs.knoxnews.com/harris/201...dollywood.html

from blog... It's going to be a busy weekend for Dollywood. On Saturday, Dollywood officials will announce a major expansion at Dollywood's Splash Country water park.Owens would only say the expansion will be "a first for Tennessee" and the largest in Splash Country's history.

With that in mind I'm now thinking water coaster for Splash Country. It's a first in TN (SC has a bowl, Wilderness a funnel and looping slide and surf rider) a water coaster would undoubtedly cost more than anything else has at SC and it's been on the surveys before.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    Guess who's going to be there to cover the announcement.

*THIS GUY*
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by NutinElse2do View Post
    Please see... http://blogs.knoxnews.com/harris/201...dollywood.html

from blog... It's going to be a busy weekend for Dollywood. On Saturday, Dollywood officials will announce a major expansion at Dollywood's Splash Country water park.Owens would only say the expansion will be "a first for Tennessee" and the largest in Splash Country's history.

With that in mind I'm now thinking water coaster for Splash Country. It's a first in TN (SC has a bowl, Wilderness a funnel and looping slide and surf rider) a water coaster would undoubtedly cost more than anything else has at SC and it's been on the surveys before.
    Does that really mean anything, "a first in TN"? It's kind of a vague statement.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast