Thread: Kennywood Pitfall for sale.

Kennywood Pitfall for sale.

Kennywood's Generation Two Intamin Freefall tower Pitfall is for sale. I know Demon Drop was for sale for many years and all it got was moved to Dorney. If Kennywood took out a Topspin before like King Kahuna (bummer) then i wouldn't be surprised if they want to take this ride out. Would they want to put up a tower swing instead?
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

They say it's being replaced with something you can't find in the region:

That says to me a Few Things:

- Stand Up Drop Tower
    - Huss Topple Tower
    - Chance Aviator
    - Huss Condor

Not cool. Not cool at all. I actually like these 2nd Generation drop towers. But I tell you what, NOTHING is scarier than a stand-up drop tower. It would be cool if they added one. I rode my first one at Drayton Manor and wow. I think I was sweating bullets on that ride. And it takes a lot to scare me, but this thing scared me big time. It was named the UKs scariest ride and it surely gets my vote! Does the US even have a stand up drop tower at all? I know Acrophobia at SFOG leans you out, but it isn't true stand up like Apocalypse at Drayton Manor which also leans you out while standing you up fully.
    Last edited by Antoine; 06-23-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

These second generation towers are pre-ThrillNetwork, pre-internet generation. They were around before I became an enthusiast. Is it a matter of the ride is coming to the point where the cables need to be replaced and by selling it it'll be the purchaser's responsibility to rehab it? Doesn't the SFKK Superman tower bring forward kind of a forced timeline, perception of cable maintenance for these machines?

I'm not really taken by the second gen models. I did the tower at SFA, Pitfall. Mr. Wes I believe did not want to get back on Drop Zone at Carowinds after the SFKK incident. I didn't care to ride it as we were about to get on Hurler.
    Last edited by Leo C; 06-23-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Drop Zone at Carowinds coincidentally was my first ever 2nd generation drop tower that I rode back in 2005. I was never into the free falls before but then suddenly one day I was dared (and well who passes down a dare?) to get on one and so I did it. I enjoyed it and started to ride them. I was well on my way into being a coaster enthusiast by that time too. Although Stuntman's Freefall was my first ever drop tower, Drop Zone pretty much recruited me to it. It is kinda like Sea Serpent at Wildwood. Not the best coaster out there by a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng shot, but it was my first ever coaster. So it will always hold a special place, kinda like these 2nd generation Intamin machines.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Does anyone know if they will be closing it mid season if it sells, or if its already closed for the season?? My first trip there is planned for the first week of August, and Pitt Fall has been on my want to ride list for awhile. I've seen it in several books and videos, even before I started riding.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

All I heard was spotty operations.

Jr. Poster
    I was at the park yesterday, one of the cars was at the top of the ride. We got there at noon and it didn't move by 6:30! I honestly fear free fall rides!