Thread: SFMM '12 New Drop Tower-Deja Vu out

SFMM '12 New Drop Tower-Deja Vu out

I can't believe Deja Vu may be on the way out. Well wait, it was the last of 3 standing with the other 2 already relocated. There is word though that SFMM may be getting a drop tower. It could be a totally new installation. I've also threw in there when Maliboomer at California Adventure was leaving maybe SFMM could pick it up. We'll see.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Will SFMM get a drop tower themed to Lex Luthor up the end of the Superman: Escape from Krypton tower? I know Tower of Terror in Australia has an Intamin freefall tower on the end of its tower.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

That would be badass, just saying. That would be the tallest freefall in the world, right?

^ I believe so
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

I guess for the height I wouldn't mind going back to a Generation Two Intamin model. It worked in Australia. That's the model SFKK had though. : / Australia had the tube tower for the launch coaster and the freefall. SFMM has the lattice towers. If they really use the Superman tower this would be a super custom job by Intamin. They could also go for a completely new site adjacent to the coaster and have an independent tower. There are a few empty flats spots around there if I recall.

Generation Two Freefall is back! The stats are insane.

On Drop Tower at KI and KD I have 6 seconds to think: when is my body going to slow down? Now we'll have 10 seconds?!

It is also a brilliant idea to make it part of an existing ride. In theory, that should help reduce the cost of it.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

It seems insane. I think 4 seconds is long on a drop tower but about 10 seconds? I might be too scared to try something like that.
    Top 3 Roller Coasters - 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: American Eagle (Red) | Steel Roller Coaster: The Incredible Hulk

It's a guestimate. I think on Drop Tower I was told 6 seconds of airtime and I believe I felt it.

When I rode Deja-Vu the ride looked like it was hanging over a park service road. It was probably cut out of that road and built over it. It makes no sense how I read elsewhere about a plan to pave over the ride. Probably when the ride is removed to its footers there's already asphalt underneath the site. I'm surprised the ride stuck around so long while the other ones where taken out. The rollercoaster crown is temporarily lost when this ride is gone.

Pieces, the gondolas arrived for the Lex Luthor drop ride. The infrastructure work was done.

From the park's facebook: a helicopter lifting pieces up for the Lex Luthor drop ride.

Rails brackets are installed 2/3 of the way up the tower. They appear as ladders looking from the distance.

A queue house/gift shop is being built.

Jr. Poster
    1st time here, Thanks Mods for accepting me here, let's have fun. As far as Lex Luthor;Drop of Doom, the Tracks are already up and ready to go, along with 1 of the gondolas. I know this because I often visit the Coaster Guy for all his updates. The queue building, or line is pretty much ready to go and as soon as the 2nd gondola get's in place on the opposite track, and Test rides are in progress, the ride should be ready to Drop soon. I'm guessing it will be Late June or early July for Lex Luthor Drop Of Dooms debut opening date. The ride Looks awesome and even though I have not been Magic Mountain in 20 years, due to living in Chicago the last 20 years, I still miss and Love Magic Mountain. It was my 1st Six Flags park growing up as a kid. In the last few months not alot was done with the new Ride, but since April, they've really made growing improvement and strides to put all the pieces in their place, ready to open very soon.
    Last edited by WiLL4LexLuthor; 06-01-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	550605_10151002189552125_1993640551_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	20418
    From the park's fb.
    The ride looks ready to go.

Is it just me, or do those OTSRs look like they aren't going to be over the shoulder? IE do they look like the skyrush restraint, with the overheads holding the lap bar down?
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Ultra Poster
    They do seem to be set up t have some sort of soft retrains that is pulled down by those bars. but then the padding is always added last. so it could be more traditional.
    Michael C
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Canobie Lake Park Salom NH | Wooden Roller Coaster: Yankie Canonball Canobie lake park Salom NH | Steel Roller Coaster: Ming Bender SFOG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	547162_10151053886837125_1928152575_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	20426
    From the park's facebook page.
    Lex Luthor is testing!
    They are opening the last day of the month.

Testing continues. Now from the top.
    From the park's facebook page.

That is truly inspiring. I'm still not sure why so many people were fussing about that being added to the structure. I don't think it takes away from anything.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

I think it's a great use for a tower they already have there. Capacity is the issue. I'm cautiously looking over this in regards to New Jersey's prospects.

Lex Luthor finally opens. I like the art of having both cars of the Superman coaster launched up the tower at the same time. I bet there is some serious sway to the tower then

One very crazy ride. I would definitely try it, but be very scared going up.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

I'd definitely ride it, but it would have to be in the morning at opening time. I couldn't bear to stand in line for a long time next to the extremely loud Superman waiting to get on this.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

This looks incredible. Drop rides are my favorite non-coaster ride. The taller the better.

This ride, I swear to GOD I will have this by years end!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!
    Creation List: Indecisive - Timber Wolf: The Hunt - Rewind - Omega - Forbidden Forest Ride - unknown
    Tutorials: Current: B&M Floorless/Sit-Down inverting
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrocket

Interesting that there are now supports on the side of Apocalypse that appeared yesterday. They look like supports found on the Sky Screamer rides. 2 flats in one year?
    Never let em see you drop!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Hershey Park | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrush

Quote Originally Posted by Screamweaver View Post
    Interesting that there are now supports on the side of Apocalypse that appeared yesterday. They look like supports found on the Sky Screamer rides. 2 flats in one year?
    Eh, nevermind. It's a sling shot. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, Lex Luthor just opened a few weeks ago. The plan should be not to overshadow this ride right now.
    Never let em see you drop!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Hershey Park | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrush