Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SFDK '12 Attraction

SFDK '12 Attraction

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has a posting on their Six Flags main page with these certain excerpts "larger than a breadbox, but smaller than Rhode Island" The new addition will be "over-the-top, upside-down, screaming excitement." Announcement is September 1st. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

WoW! Wait til a lil later this morning if you didn't see it yet.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Who would have thought this was in Premier's lineup? They seem to stay small and still unique in today's industry. They're known to do customized work. They're going to build a train for the moved Deja-Vu for its incarnation as Goliath at SFNE.

I'm not sure about this back and forth launching and then the brake at the top for the inline twist on Superman. Is the braking going to relieve stress on the element or is it just for a guest effect? The speed of that roll at close to 150ft in the air is like doing the jo-jo roll before the first lift on Hydra. I guess it would be cool to be suspended for a few extra seconds in the first loop of a ride.

Pandemonium is going to run during Holiday in the Park so people will have more time to get last rides on this true portable spinning coaster that will move to Mexico soon. It's the newest portable coaster I know of that will make the move. It's quite quick. I guess SFDK will just run a street sweeper on the concrete pad after Pandemonium is removed. I bet the parts for the next portable Superman coaster will be on site by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo C View Post
    Pandemonium is going to run during Holiday in the Park so people will have more time to get last rides on this true portable spinning coaster that will move to Mexico soon. It's the newest portable coaster I know of that will make the move. It's quite quick. I guess SFDK will just run a street sweeper on the concrete pad after Pandemonium is removed. I bet the parts for the next portable Superman coaster will be on site by then.
    SFDK will first get rid of the skateboard cars and get generic Gerstlauer spinning coaster cars to replace them, then they'll dismantle the coaster and ship it to Mexico, then they'll run a street sweeper and a power washer on the concrete pad, then they'll assemble the new Superman coaster in Pandemonuim's place.

That leaves only three Tony Hawk's Big spin/Pandemonuim coasters left in America in SFOT, SFSTL, and SFFT.

So far SFDK had three portable coasters in the place so far, Zonga 2005-2007, Tony Hawk's Big spin/Pandemonuim 2008-2011, and Superman: Ultimate Flght 2012-now.

That concrete is expensive so they adapted the rides following Zonga to that same pad.

I wonder if the Vekoma kiddie coaster at SFMM debuted with new train covers or they still the had the "shoe" cars.

When Pandemonium shows up at SFM I'd like to see pics if they actually change the spinning cars covers.

I didn't know they were getting rid of Pandemonium in order to build this ride. I tell you what, this ride won't be missed IMHO. Although it is not a terrible ride, there was just too much spinning in it for my liking. I've been on many spinning rides before, but this one just did it entirely too much. I came off feeling sick. If I had ridden it first while there, I would not have been a happy camper. Luckily, I only had one more coaster to do for the day there and it was a Boomerang.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Pandemonium SFDK was a slightly different layout than the permanent installs because it had to best fit the portable dimensions. Watching the video of the ride it looked pretty aggressive.

I think the ride has a lot of potential, but they just need to slow down the spinning. It was just entirely too much. What made it worse was when you hit the final brakes the car continues to spin pretty fast too. I just wanted to get off the thing.
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Do you think when SFDK ships Pandemonium to Mexico they'll keep the skateboard cars or get new generic cars?

Generic cars will make the ride just overall boring. The uniqueness of the ride is the spin. They just need to tighten up the spinning motion and the ride will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    Generic cars will make the ride just overall boring. The uniqueness of the ride is the spin. They just need to tighten up the spinning motion and the ride will be just fine.
    But having generic cars as opposed to the skateboard cars would make more sense and besides the only reason why they still have the "Big Spin" skateboard themed cars is because Six Flags was to lazy to replace the cars with generic ones when they decided to rename the ride to "Pandemonium" and also to save money as well.

How about they put bull car covers on and call it El Toro! OLE!!!

^Or how about they put Mexican hat car covers on it and call it "Samba Sambreo"!

This ride is still going to be the latest install of new coasters for 2012 as the spinner coaster on its spot is still there through this Christmas holiday season. The spinner is still running this month. As for installation it should be as late happening as the Green Lantern SFMM. It should be even quicker and later because I don't think there are footers for this ride to pour.

On facebook SFDK announced the last chance to ride Pandemonium and get an entry for a Superman: UF contest when the new coaster debuts on the same spot next year.

The park posted on facebook a pic of Big Spin being dismantled. It's off to Mexico! Wish I was able to ride this unique Gerstlauer spinner amongst the chain since it was portable and slightly different in layout from the others.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Spin dismantling.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	19397
    Last edited by Leo C; 01-10-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Big Spin is completely cleared. The concrete pad is empty once again.

The SFDK spinner might relocate to Six Flags Mexico and even get a Joker theme.

Minetrain Poster
    Does anyone know why they haven't started Superman contraction yet?

This ride is tiny for the plot size and it's portable so they don't even have to dig footers for it. The footers have to cure for at least a month-month and a half. Green Lantern at SFMM construction started later because that's a tiny ride on a small plot that needed footers dug. They will start later on this ride if they're targeting Memorial Day weekend to have it open.

The concrete pad is getting worked on for Superman's upcoming installation.

Track pieces have arrived for Superman. It looks the old electronic sign and its framework for Pandemonium remained up.

Pandemonium pieces are now down in Texas at Larson. They're going to get conditioning and new paint. I think they're on their way over the border to Six Flags Mexico. Hopefully it will be the Joker's Pandemonium, Joker's Jinx going down there. I wish I could have done that portable layout. I think Antoine got it.

Name:	SupermanSFDK1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	20199
    SFDK provided this picture today via their facebook page. It looks like the base pieces of the coaster are going up. It's a true Premier coaster with all those ends protruding from the support pieces.

Name:	ArRH6R3CAAA6b6v.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	20287
    The portable coaster tradition continues. From Premier Rides' Twitter page.

Station track is up on this portable coaster.

Name:	SupermanSFDK5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	20289
    From the park's facebook.

Name:	SupermanSFDK6.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	20300
    From the park's facebook page
    A lot of supports went up. This reminds me of Batman & Robin: The CHILLER.
    There are wooden Superman shields put up.
    Last edited by Leo C; 05-03-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Name:	SupermanSFDK7.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	20346
    Station is taking shape.

Name:	SupermanSFDK8.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	20384
    Looking out the ride tunnel. From the park's facebook page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast