Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galveston Pleasure Pier- Gerstlauer

Galveston Pleasure Pier- Gerstlauer

Thanks to being friends with ACE on the fb they linked to a picture of Gerstlauer track being built in the factory overseas for the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier. The people that run Kemah Boardwalk bought a pier on Galveston Island that had a multi story hotel on it. It was reported by me previously on this site. There are pictures of the progress on the fb site: Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier - Attractions/Things to Do - Galveston, TX | Facebook
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Did I see three rails in that picture on the fb? Is it Mack track instead of Gerstlauer? That would quite a cooler development.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Construction | Facebook

There are beams going on the pier, wooden construction. I see blue supports are in a yard for a ride. I just don't know what ride though just yet.

Is this for the Gerstlauer?
    From their fb page:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GalvestonGerstJan12.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	19407
    Is it for a Star Flyer? Screamscape I think said there are five Star Flyer swings being installed this year and we know 3 are going to SFGADV, SFFT, La Ronde.
    Last edited by Leo C; 01-13-2012 at 01:24 PM.

A seabox arrived to the pier. The tarp covering the top was rolled over to the side. Could coaster pieces be lifted out of the delivery vehicle?

Construction | Facebook Flat rides are going up! It looks like a Himalaya and a pirate ship.

Yes, a breakthrough came through from the Houston Chronicle yesterday. Story to come to the main page I believe.

Iron Shark, a 100 ft 4 inversion coaster is coming. It's a Gerstlauer I believe. The star flyer will be 230 feet tall.
    Last edited by Leo C; 01-29-2012 at 12:14 PM.

That looks really interesting, although it doesn't make much business sense to me. A hurricane got it once, and another one will get it again in the future.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

Texas is a lot more wild with the storms than New Jersey is it seems. We get Nor'easter storms, hence the name for the Vekoma SLC on the pier here in Wildwood, NJ: Morey's Piers. I think I glorify the SLC here for the fact it's on the pier and usually you don't get coasters any bigger than that on a pier over the beach and ocean. Mostly they're wild mouse and galaxy coasters.

The park posted on fb later today:
    "Hi everyone, if you checked out the Chronicle article this morning you got some major details on the new Pleasure Pier! In the paper there is a black and white 'rendering' of what the pier will look like - on the link attached there is a color rendering. Tomorrow - we will share a video with you on ALL the rides! The Press Conference is at 11:30 am - we will post everything around lunch time right after the conference! http://www.chron.com/business/article/Historic-Galveston-amusement-pier-to-rise-again-2792498.php#photo-2205970"

My Monday at noon we could know what the layout of the coaster is with the video they will release at a news conference.
    Last edited by Leo C; 01-29-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Today the Pier operators held a news conference and realeased this video:
    Pleasure Pier Announcement Video - YouTube
    It features the names of all 16 attractions. I was hoping to get more information on the Iron Shark. It's just a standard pic of the Eurofighter coaster.

I think it's going to have a portable floor structure to support the coaster and only be wide enough to have a first drop into a half loop and later an Immelmann like Dare Devil Dive at SFOG. I think a given is to get an inline roll. A corkscrew may take up too much space. A part of the coaster in its 2nd half of the course will hang over the pier. I think that would be a small helix into a final brake run.

The park posted pics on facebook of the coaster assembled in Germany. It's being taken down and shipped to Texas. With the narrow space on the pier this layout has to be narrow and there has to be dive loops/immelmann/half loops.

Name:	IronShark1.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	19479[ATTACH=CONFIG]19480[/ATTACH

I think that could be the cutback element at the far end of the layout.

The last elements are a cutback into an inclined loop into the final brakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SteelShark2.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	19480  
    Last edited by Leo C; 02-03-2012 at 08:38 PM.

At 8pm the park posted a rendering movie on facebook. The structure is of the portable nature so there would be beams running along the pad. You can figure out the layout watching it. I believe in the comments the park explained that the video has a mirror of the actual layout that is built.

Link to Galveston Historic Pleasure Pier's posting of the video on their fb page:Feb 3, 2012 4:59pm | Facebook

Name:	SteelSharkmovie2.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	19484
    Lift Hill

Name:	Steelsharkmovie7.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	19483
    View from the top of the vertical lift tower. Looking before you is an immelmann where the car would twist and exit to the left. Behind the immelmann is a cutback that will go into a final loop that will exit into the final brakes. The car in the immelmann will then twist and dive behind the lift tower. The car after the dive will S-turn hop over the first drop track into the cutback and final loop into the brakes.

Name:	Steelsharkmovie8.JPG 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	19485
    Coming out of Immelmann

Name:	SteelSharkmovie12.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	19486
    Twisting into a dive loop

Name:	Steelsharkmovie14.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	19487
    Diving through a dive loop.

Name:	Steelsharkmovie9.JPG 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	19488
    S-turn hop over the first drop track

Name:	SteelSharkmovie4.JPG 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	19489

Name:	Steelsharkmovie15.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	19490
    Cutback

Name:	SteelSharkmovie6.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	19491
    Loop into final brakes

Name:	SteelSharkmovie1.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	19492
    Final brakes-station view
    Last edited by Leo C; 02-03-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Released facts on the Iron Shark:
    Iron Shark Rollercoaster - our coaster vehicles will be themed like a shark and there will only be lapbars on this ride (as opposed to over-the-shoulder harness)
    •3 vehicles
    •8 people per vehicle
    •52 mph
    •100 feet tall
    •Vertical lift and beyond-vertical drop
    •Diving loop, vertical loop, Immelman loop, top hat and airtime hop
    •Track length is 1,246 feet
    •Length of ride, approx. 1 minute
    •Must be 48” to ride

That's awesome! While I like thrilling coasters, I also like seeing 'family type' coasters like this where smaller children can ride and learn a love for coasters.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

This design looks like it can best fall upon what Knex offers as designs for its current coaster line.

The swings installed were lit. The Ring of Fire has been up for awhile. The log flume, which looks more like a traditional rollercoaster than Iron Shark itself is up. It has the outer larger drop and the inner smaller drop. The park said iron Shark is finally on site.

There's four poured footers for the lift hill! Does this totally refute this ride is portable? I'll have to see if other footers appear.

Name:	SteelSharkConst1.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	19679
    Okay the ride is still portable. They really had to pour four footers for the lift hill. The other steel pieces are just resting on poured cement that looks like bricks.

There is something that I find really fascinating about this 'park.' For some odd reason, I'm really looking forward to going down there in the near future and checking it out.

The lift hill tower pieces were lifted into place on the pier.

The lift hill tower looks to be at least 2/3 up now.

Iron Shark got topped off. It looks like supports went up as well.

Name:	IronSharkTop1.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	19886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IronSharkTop2.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	19887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IronSharkTop3.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	19888

Ooooooh track on the first drop. Sexy time. Sharp colors like Great White at Seaworld San Antonio.

From the park's facebook:

Where the coaster will hang over the pier's edge over the water.

Except for the foundation of the lift hill it's all portable structure for the coaster. Check out the overlay.
    Last edited by Leo C; 04-09-2012 at 03:21 PM.

I love how that hangs over the side of the pier.

From the park's construction album:

Now the elements are starting to come together. The supports really remind me of the Schwarkopfs.

The one smaller element confused me for a second. The video given to us is a mirror. The final loop into the brakes has to be the smaller element on the Gulf side. The loop is going to face the water i believe.
    Last edited by Leo C; 04-11-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Some other pics from the park on facebook:

Entrance to the pier with the Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant

The Ring of Fire in the shot.

All the ends of the elements seem to be on the water side. More is coming together. The final loop on the edge of the pictures appears to be done. From the park's facebook.

The circuit is now complete.

The finished layout from over the weekend. I love the supports that look like they're from a portable Schwarzkopf coaster.

Name:	SteelSharkHang.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	20347
    Hanging on the edge of the pier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast