Thread: Funniest GP comments you've heard.

Funniest GP comments you've heard.

Go, n00b non enthusiest, whatever you want to call them, what are the most weird or funny things you've heard from people who don't know a thing about rides or the amusement industry?My personal favourite is the time I was in line for behemoth, explaining the ride to my friend who hAdn't rode it before. I guess the girl in front of me clued in that I knew a lot about the ride, and asked me which country the ride was made in. I answered to her that it was made in Switzerland, however, she then wenton to argue about how it was made in germsny, acting like she knew everything about the ride, and she just asked me the queston to start a fight. PS: Just a thought. I've also noticed from my early days as a diehard ride fan that there are not many other huge fans of rides, accept for people on boards like this one. This is the exact opposite of other things at ny school, like sports or video games, and it kinda sucks, cause no one knows anything about what yo're into. Have any of you guys noticed this aswell?
    B&M...
    Just another word for EPIC!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CW (Canada's Wonderland) | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mighty Canadian Minebuster (Canada's Wonderland) | Steel Roller Coaster: Tie: Skyrider (Canada's Wonderland) Mindbender (West Edmonton Mall's Galaxyland)

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    Moved to Parks/Travel Tips. Closed duplicate discussion. Kept this one since there was a lot more content to your post.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

TECHNICALLY speaking, Behemoth was likely built in the United States actually, in Ohio. Most B&M coasters are built in the USA while the vast majority that will stay in Europe are built in Switzerland. I think the funniest moments are when people start to quote stats about a coaster that are so far off that you can't help but to laugh. You'd be amazed at how many coasters can achieve 100 MPH based off what the GP tends to say.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

"Oh my god this goes upside down 11 times!!!" Especially when they are standing in front of the whole roller coaster. Like there is some invisible 6 inversions.
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Another would be the know it alls that really don't know it all. Sometimes I have been in line for a coaster and there is this person who seems like an 'enthusiast' but you quickly learn that they don't know anything. However, they sound so intelligent about it that those around them start to believe it. It just becomes comical at that point. Sometimes I'll spot check them on their 'facts' just to annoy them. That's when people around start to ask me questions and how I know this stuff. A classic was when I told a guy in line that Dominator operated better when it was in Ohio. He swore up and down it was brand spanking new to KD and I didn't know what I was talking about. So I told him websites online to verify I was right. After surfing on his smart phone, he quickly shutted up.lol
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    I can relate to that, Antoine. Someone tried telling me Millennium Force went over 100mph when it's been running all day in the evening. Truth be told, it hits its max (93mph) when it's all warm and running. Otherwise, cold runs are around 84-85mph for top speed. During cold mornings, they have to apply heat to the wheels before they even attempt a run, or else it risks stalling, usually around the 2nd hill.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

I like the one girl that tried to question us on The Raven this past summer.
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Editor
    I was working at Dollywood one season and this one day I was in the middle of working and this man came up and asked where the "Market Square Area" of the park was; I nicely looked at him said......

"Sir your standing in it!" I'm telling you he started to blush so much; I had to turn and look away and quietly laugh! lol so funny!
    Last edited by Chris A; 11-17-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    The Adventure is coming! 2014 Coaster Draft picks
    Kingda Ka, Wild Eagle, ​Bahemath, The Kraken, FireChaser Express, Mavrick, Medusa, ​Full Throttle, Storm Runner, WildFire
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: ThunderHead | Steel Roller Coaster: Wild Eagle

I was in line for thunderhead once, and this old guy was talking to some people behind him about cedar point and how "Top Fuel Dragster is so intense, they make a doctor check you out before riding." I just looked at my non-enthusiast friends who were listening and shook my head,lmao. I also heard two girls say that Mystery Mine went 180 degrees up and 180 degrees down. XD

There's been other times where I've heard crazy things, but I can't remember them at the moment,lol. One pet peeve I have with people is when they call inversions "loops." Yes, there is such thing as a loop, but that and all the other points where you're upside-down are called inversions. I want to strangle people who call them all loops,lol. I'd even take "upside-down point" or "twist" instead of people saying they're all loops.
    -Termination complete-

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood

^ Then you must want to strangle every GP you come across Shawn. The only non-enthusiast I know who doesn't call everything she sees a loop is my girlfriend; could be part of the reason we've stayed together so long
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

While working Diamondback last year (2010) I had a guest ask these three questions:

-Does it go upside down?
    -Does it go inside that building (pointing to Crypt?)
    -Wasn't this coaster moved from over by Racer?

Automatic, Facepalm!

^^ Pretty much. XD
    -Termination complete-

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    -Does it go upside down?
    -Does it go inside that building (pointing to Crypt?)
    -Wasn't this coaster moved from over by Racer?
    I must remember to ask Curtis these on Saturday

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

Make sure to ask him how many loops are on Thunder Road, that wood coaster next to the Mystery Machine.

XD

I'm still offering money to whoever gives Curtis the hardest time while they're there... or at least a couple packs of silly bands. Katie and Steve can supply those. Man, I wish I was going,lol.
    Last edited by sclisso; 11-17-2011 at 11:11 PM.
    -Termination complete-

I'm calling for a little TN contest! Who can ask Curtis the "best" question!

Here's hoping he doesn't log on until after Saturday

Hats for (Carousel)Horses Racer's Avatar
    (Standing in front of S:UF at SFOG)- "Where is Superman?"
    Answer- "Turn around."

"Where is the Cotton States Section?"
    "You're already there."

"Where is the closest bathroom?"
    "In front of Superman." (points in direction)
    (Turns around and goes opposite direction)

"Do you get wet on Skull Island?"
    "No, it's just a movie effect"

The sad part is that I'm not making these up.
    ThrillNetwork SpeedZone Editor and unofficial DB Editor
    Please stand with your feet flat on the... stand up.. no- why are you sitting??? STAND UP ON THE GEORGIA SCORCHER!!!
    2014 Coaster Draft: Leviathan, Banshee, Alpengeist, Aftershock, GoldStriker, DareDevilDive, GeorgiaScorcher, Tatsu, SheiKra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath(SFOG)

Actually, I have a few to add into this discussion, but I'm that guy that will start talking about how the ride reaches speeds of over 70mph and goes through several corkscrews before returning to the station to my friends and watch all the little kids get terrified (Did this at Hershey, it was hilarious as my one friend is severely out of the loop to coaster knowledge, and was beginning to believe that Trailblazer actually went upside down at one point lol).

To add into this discussion though, when I first went to Cedar Point and got in line for Top Thrill with my sister:

Dimwit Girl 1: I cant wait!
    Dimwit Girl 3: I know! Like, how fast does this go?
    Dimwit Girl 2: I dont know, 200 mph? I just worry if this goes upside down :nervous glance to the track:

Me to my sister: ...facepalm.jpg...Good god, I fear for my generation ><

The original Maverick since 99 CP Maverick's Avatar
    Honestly, the funniest comments are from the "enthusiast" crowd. They're so sure of themselves. At least the GP comments are based on ignorance, not arrogance.
    Holy CoW! - another NoLimits project

RIP Geauga Lake 1888-2007
    F CF
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Beast (Kings Island) | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

i have one to add. This was while i was waiting in the black friday line at best buy. This guy was talking about amusement parks, and how he'd like to go to ride "The dragster" that goes 100 mph, and is propelled my nothing more than magnets. Apparently he thought the rollback brakes were what propelled it up the tower,lol.
    -Termination complete-

Was telling my friend, who hates rides with any kind inversion, how the vekoma slc at my home park doesn't't go upside-down at all. My plan worked, but he was pretty pissed at me for the rest of the day after we got off the ride.
    B&M...
    Just another word for EPIC!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: CW (Canada's Wonderland) | Wooden Roller Coaster: Mighty Canadian Minebuster (Canada's Wonderland) | Steel Roller Coaster: Tie: Skyrider (Canada's Wonderland) Mindbender (West Edmonton Mall's Galaxyland)

Quote Originally Posted by Racer View Post
    (Standing in front of S:UF at SFOG)- "Where is Superman?"
    Answer- "Turn around."

"Where is the Cotton States Section?"
    "You're already there."

"Where is the closest bathroom?"
    "In front of Superman." (points in direction)
    (Turns around and goes opposite direction)

"Do you get wet on Skull Island?"
    "No, it's just a movie effect"

The sad part is that I'm not making these up.
    I actually have done the first two in unfamiliar parks. I plan my park visits a little better now, but its still easy to get lost in them, even with map in hand. I'm much better with road maps, for the most part, there are signs at every intersection.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

A good one was from when I was at SFGADV standing in the queue of Nitro. I'll call the guy Jim, solely because I have lots of nicknames for the name Jim rather than say Zdravka. A few things about Jim: he was about 16, wearing a Black Sabbath TShirt, hanging out with 3 girls of similar ages acting like a macho man, and he cut me in line TWICE earlier.

Jimbo, "Yeah Kingda Ka is tall, but it ain't got nuthun on Nitro! I should know, I'm an expert!"
    me, "Ummm there is 226 foot difference between the two."
    Jimmy boy, "You heer that guuys, we have neeerd over here! I bet he's a real toughie!"
    me, "I didn't mea..."
    Jimmy has corn and he don't care, ".....wooooo! For a neeerd he's stupid!"
    me "I'm sorry about my comment, I didn't mean to hurt you."
    Jimmykins, "I bet yur gunna cry on Nitro!"

We got on Nitro. I was in car 9, Lance Corporal Jimmy and the three privets were in car 8. I enjoyed my ride. I'll just say he didn't. I got off the ride and did my post ride chest-bump with my brother, yes I do that when I love a ride. Slim Jim got off a bit slimmer, he puked his guts out. I heard him say when he was getting off, "I knew I shuuldn't hav had that funnel cake!"

I guess you could say he got his *puts on sunglasses* just desserts.

Best part about all this is that I didn't make any of this up. This guy really said all of this to me and then got closer to Nitro than I ever dreamed of getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn C View Post
    i have one to add. This was while i was waiting in the black friday line at best buy. This guy was talking about amusement parks, and how he'd like to go to ride "The dragster" that goes 100 mph, and is propelled my nothing more than magnets. Apparently he thought the rollback brakes were what propelled it up the tower,lol.
    To his credit, he's at least not horrifically far off on the speed and apparently has some concept of how most launch coasters work...

I always feel bad for guests who I overhear in USF trying to find the Wizarding World of Harry Potter...

I love it when I hear people ask "Does this ride go upside down?" when they're standing right in front of a giant vertical loop. To me, it's unfathomable how you can get in line for a ride and have absolutely no idea what it is you are about to do.

From an engineering perspective, it bugs me when people claim Dragster uses electromagentics, even for the brakes. Yes, it uses magnetics but they are permament - no electricty involved.
    Get the Coaster101 Android app. Learn about Unique Ferris Wheels.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Hershey Park | Wooden Roller Coaster: Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: Apollo's Chariot