Thread: Water rides. Moving out or in?

Water rides. Moving out or in?

I don't know if anyone is realizing the fact that water rides these days are becoming highly unpopular and people don't ride them as much as they used to. But splashdown rides are sort of becoming popular with that impressive ride over at Holiday World Pilgrim's Plunge, it is one of the most amazing splashdown rides ever created in the U.S if you ask me. A unique elevator cable lift.....highest drop of any water ride in the U.S and I believe the world. Perilous Plunge at Knott's Berry Farm out in L.A is next followed by I guess Tidal Force at Hersheypark. Will we see anymore splashdown water rides, flume rides, or river rapids rides open at any U.S or any park around the world? You see Six Flags, Cedar Fair,Palace Entertainment,etc adding more water rides like the ones I mentioned above? Bdcause I do some Six Flags parks could use a couple of splashdown rides most definitely. Could I be wrong and could these water rides that used to be very popular have they like faded for good and we will never see any future water rides in the near future?

I tell you what, Splashin' Safari has a ton of visitors each year because they keep adding new attractions. Wildebeest and Mammoth have heavy lines all season long. Pilgrims Plunge is a great ride, but the splashdown effect is hardly new. Actually you kind of hit the water and get a wall of water dumped on your lap (that is if you are sitting in the front seat). I hate the heights and open-ness of the ride (I am terrified of heights).

I would like to see more parks invest in bomb-bay type slides, looping slides and just more attractions in general. Indoor resorts are really hitting the mark on these as they can keep customers coming in year round and can justify such high expenses with newer and more proto-type attractions.
    ~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

well i mean i'm talking about like splashdown rides that are mostly on the dry side of the park where the coasters,thrill rides are. Pilgrim's plunge like I said is the latest one to date and it is very cool type of water ride. All I am saying is too with Flume Rides..their is a great one at Knott's Berry Farm by the way..something mountain-refresh me on that. Splash Mountain at WDW is the best flume ride ever made..but JTA at Sea World is right up there. I'd just like to see more water rides at Six Flags, Cedar Fair, or any Palace Entertainment Parks,etc. Not talking about waterslides here even though I like them too. You see Six Flags adding a splashdown ride or a flume ride anytime soon in the near future? That's all I'm asking because the river battle thing I am not a big fan of,it's not an actual water flume ride or rapids ride if you know what I mean.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    On the contrary... the trend over the past 7-8 years has been more thrilling water or water-based rides. They are cheaper to build, operate, and maintain, and during summer months, are very popular among the general public. There's also been an accompanying increase in water park investment, with a jump in attendance that has been associated with it.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

Shoot the Rapids is only 2 years old up at Cedar Point.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

After the blackout can it be moved to Thrills section of the forum? It's not necessarily a project or a rumor. It is discussion about a trend though and an interesting subject.

I totally don't want to lose the two or so water rides left in the SFGADV park.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Cool

I didn't see the forum moved so I'm just responding here....
    Personally I don't like water rides because I don't care how hot it is outside, I do not want to walk around all day in wet clothes. It just bothers me. I like the thrill of the water rides, but not the splash. I think what ruined me was when I rode Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls at IOA when I was in high school, and it was in January. Being idiot teenagers we rode it first, and we all got soaked. Needless to say we were soaked and cold all day. It was miserable. I'm pretty sure that's what turned me off, because I've hated water rides ever since.
    Now water rides like the Monster Plantation (Monster mansion...whatever it's called now) are a ok wtih me.

We are the same way, however, what we do is go to a water park first thing in the morning, do half a day there, go back to our hotel room, get out of all the wet clothes, shower, change into dry clothes and go back into the dry side of the park for the rest of the day. It works, you aren't walking around wet all day and you get your water fix.

ah, see I usually don't stay at a hotel because I live in Fl. If I do water rides it's at the end of the day so I don't have to deal with it. Some days it is hot enough to ride them early, but I avoid going in the summer because of that very reason.

Legoland California announced they're adding a shoot the chutes splash boat ride.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

My wife doesn't like to get wet, like was mentioned previously in this thread, so I have to strategically plan water rides at the height of the day when she will be able to dry out more quickly. While I don't like to get drenched, I don't mind getting wet. I particularly love log flumes, especially when they are themed as well as splash mountain at WDW. We rode that more than any other ride when we were there a few years ago. I convinced my wife to go on that so many times by us packing ponchos in our backpack.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

I have about the same opinion Rick. I'll ride the log flume at SFGADV maybe once a year. It's been seasons since I've been on Congo Rapids at SFGADV. I don't really feed into the demand for water rides at the amusement park. I can take a splash but I don't really want to get drenched. Despite that opinion I do think the water attractions are important to the balance of offerings in a park.

I think there will always be a place for water rides in the parks. My wife isn't a roller coaster person at all but she'll do nearly any type of water ride or water park attraction, as long as a park maintains a nice balance between dry and water type rides, it will work.

for me, water rides are usually a one and done though...however, Splash Mountain...I think I ended up riding it 14 times during extra magic hours my last trip to WDW. It never gets old to me..

I am not the biggest water ride fan every once in a while they are enjoyable but I think like a lot of people we would just rather stay dry. If we want to hit the water rides we will bring a change of cloths so we don't feel nasty all day. I rarely notice long lines for water rides but that Isjust me. I do like the diversity water rides bring to a park though and think they are here to stay.