Thread: Article: Crypt won't reopen at Kings Island

Article: Crypt won't reopen at Kings Island

ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

I've known about this for a while, and I think it's unfortunate that it's leaving. I have operated the Crypt and I have some fond memories of it. I remember when I first rode it as TR:TR, my mind was blown and it was just amazing! Through the years the trouble it's had and reprogramming, it lost its touch. But the personal memories I've had on the ride, operating it and observing it will remain in my heart. RIP The Crypt

I've known too Chris Thats why I wasn't shocked lol.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

"reached the end of its service life" sounds like a lot of covering up to me. A 10 year old ride shouldn't reach that point already. I'll admit it wasn't my favorite ride out there though because the duration was just too quick. But I have been on other rides like it before and loved it. So much potential. It is just unfortunate that they are taking it out.

Sounds like the garbage BGW said about Big Bad Wolf.

You can keep about any ride running if you want to put the money into it.

Although it was way too short as far as the program the past couple times I got up there, I liked the ride and will miss it.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I'm not too sad about it. I couldn't fit on the one at KD, and it didn't even look that amazing, so no big loss to me,lol.

The pre-show was actually pretty good in the Tomb Raider days.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Antoine, part of the "service" life expiring is due to KI not putting $ into but the other part, is that it was a HUSS ride. Like many other HUSS rides, from Day 1 there were issues. Most of the issues had to do with the programming of the ride. It started out with an amazing program which ended up beating the ride up, the motors constantly going down. The gondola often wouldn't lock because of alignment lost during the TR:TR years.

^ That makes a lot more sense. I've always wondered why they shortened the program so much.

This makes Six Flags look sage to run their Topspins on basically gentle cycle the last 5 years to prevent as much wear and tear on the ride? I can take a whole lot more intense and manual Topspin setting. It's amazing when it's at its full potential.
    Last edited by Leo C; 02-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.

I'm sad this is happening and even more sad that a different thrill ride isn't replacing it. I will not be enjoying the new haunt. I wonder what the lifespan of the top spins are that travel the German fair circuit? Look up any youtube video of one of their ride programs, those things give a crazy ride! The record is 107 continuous flips.

I'm not sure I get one complete flip on a Six Flags model. I get at least 20 side to side shimmies on a cycle as the ride doesn't reach it's full potential. The ride is not about the back and forth swing. It's a shame. The brakes come to a big squeak on Twister at SFGADV. The standard model ride was a borefest at SFNE last year. Thunderhawk was trying to take a pic of me riding it.

It's funny that Myrtle Beach Pavilion used to run their top spin on "insane". I got like 5 good flips the first cycle, then the operator asked if we wanted to go again and I probably got 4 on the 2nd cycle.

I would get the insane setting on the Topspin2 at Astroland when I attended the one additional season it was open a couple years ago. Both the parks with the intense Topspin are gone.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

There will be a replacement, just not for 2012.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

I wondered why the top spin at SFNE was so tame. I was pretty disappointed. The flip is the best part, and it only flips once.

Minetrain Poster The Skooter Guy's Avatar
    Only a decade of service.
    'twas lucky it didn't drop its gondola like the Spin Dragon at Adelaide's Showgrounds.
    Huss is still living on, even after Dollywood's Timber Tower lawsuit & the collapse of Liseberg's Rainbow.

When it was tomb raider I hardly liked it. It was nice to get out of the sun and cool off while looking at some decent theming. After the re name and changes they made to the ride we rode it once and never really thought about it again. I'm not sad to see it go but I do think it's a shame they couldn't keep the ride in good working order.

Rides now only last ten years- ten seasons?
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender