Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City 2013

That is going to be a disputed element. What won't be disputed is the very steep first drop.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

It is both. It is an extreme overbank, but since the classification for an inversion is "anytime where your legs are above your head during the duration of the ride", it is an inversions as well.
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!
    Creation List: Indecisive - Timber Wolf: The Hunt - Rewind - Omega - Forbidden Forest Ride - unknown
    Tutorials: Current: B&M Floorless/Sit-Down inverting
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrocket

If so, then why don't they count the first turn on Millennium Force as an inversion?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	20487  
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    It is both. It is an extreme overbank, but since the classification for an inversion is "anytime where your legs are above your head during the duration of the ride", it is an inversions as well.
    I have heard some define an inversion "When your "X axis" is 180 or more." Millennium Force only goes 122, while this one looks to be 180.
    By that definition, I would say this is more of an inversion and MF is an overbanked turn.
    2014 Coaster Draft : El Toro (SFGA) , Bizarro (SFNE), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Nemesis (Alton Towers), Blue Fire Megacoaster (Europa Park), Black Mamba (Phantasialand), Twister (Grona Lund), Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion) , Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), Cheetah Hunt (BGTampa)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath

i hope the exit out of that element is smooth.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

It's definitely not 180 degrees. The beams would be totally horizontal. However, inclined loops have the same issue, and yet I don't think I've heard them disputed. I just wonder what SCD will market it as.
    ThrillNetwork Database Editor

"I won't stop riding roller coasters when I get old. I'll get old when I stop riding roller coasters" -Unknown
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World / Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

More than likely go the Leviathan route, call it a barrel roll and that will be that.

This looks to be around 160-175 degree bank. You physically feel upside down, whereas with Millennium Forces you really don't.
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!
    Creation List: Indecisive - Timber Wolf: The Hunt - Rewind - Omega - Forbidden Forest Ride - unknown
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrocket

Will this or Rattler: Next Generation be smoother?
    Last edited by Leo C; 07-10-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Need some upfated pictureses of
    this baby! Just saw some on a different site and ypu can now see where the coaster banks back to the left and drops down the ravine.... Looks pretty wicked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OutlawLetter1.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	20562

Name:	OutlawLetter2.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	20563
    The park sent me a letter in an email. Here is what it said.

TRACK!

SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!

OK now there's no way that's NOT an inversion.

Wicked!
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

In case you guys are interested I made a Facebook page for the Flooded Mine ride and Fire in the Hole!
    Flooded Mine
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/floodedmine
    Fire in the Hole
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fi...91815260880648

In a plane, on a rollercoaster near a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    OK now there's no way that's NOT an inversion.

Wicked!
    I disagree. It just looks like a very steep Stengel Dive on a wooden coaster. I think it won't be counted as an "inversion" (though we can hope it does) but a new term can be coined for it on a wooden coaster.

Here's a picture from Maverick (http://www.rcdb.com/3570.htm?p=19403 they look to be quite the same. Of course we'll know for sure once the trains are running. However, a dive like this is a good thing. It's proof that if this isn't an inversion, that we aren't many years out from one on a wooden coaster.
    Last edited by tornbretto; 07-25-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Talk of an ACTUAL roll happening in the valley is now spreading like wildfire over on SDCFans.com

Apparently someone actually got a glimpse at this and took a pic (non-train ride) and was asked politely by the park to not post the pic. After that topic came up, a banner was seen blocking off the view going into the valley.
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!

I also heard that in order to get a good picture of the "mystery element" you pretty much have to be in an unauthorized area of the park.
    IMO if this coaster has all these innovative elements, but no airtime, it wont be as good as anticipated. So I hope there are some good airtime elements in this baby as well. I mean, what's a woodie without airtime.
    2014 Coaster Draft : El Toro (SFGA) , Bizarro (SFNE), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Nemesis (Alton Towers), Blue Fire Megacoaster (Europa Park), Black Mamba (Phantasialand), Twister (Grona Lund), Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion) , Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), Cheetah Hunt (BGTampa)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath

Hopefully next Thursday the announcement events will include a good look at this element! The only thing that sucks about covering the announcement is the fact I won't be able to ride it possibly for many years.

Will this coaster show us any moments of airtime?

MidwestInfoGuide Chief Editor
    I'll be there on the 9th to cover the announcement and most of the media will actually get to go down into the valley to see the construction site and the "element" that will be a first of its kind on a wooden coaster. If you know where to look you can see what someone thinks the coaster might look like. Now the park will not comment on if this is legit or not and sorry you won't get any help from me as I've been sworn to secrecy. But, let's just say that it is a pretty good drawing.

| DHOLLON "SWOOSH" | ~ http://www.MIDWESTINFOGUIDE.com ~ | 585 COASTERS | MIZZOU-RAH! |
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City | Wooden Roller Coaster: PROWLER™ | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force™

Found it. It does answer my question about airtime. It also answers the question about what they will call the element everyone is taking pictures of.

If you haven't seen it yet, Lance posted it over on Screamscape -- in other news he also posted what you are getting for Christmas.
    | DHOLLON "SWOOSH" | ~ http://www.MIDWESTINFOGUIDE.com ~ | 585 COASTERS | MIZZOU-RAH! |
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City | Wooden Roller Coaster: PROWLER™ | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force™

What would be great for Christmas is an early opening.

Not going to happen. You might see it testing then, but the park will not open it for Christmas.
    With that in mind, the coaster is pretty much tracked from station through to the pass under the lift and then quite a bit where the "element" is located. They have yet to build the second bridge to connect the rear of the station to the "element"

I got another email.

Name:	SilverDollarCity.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	20627
    This image came with it and clicking it lead to the following page link

http://sdctripplanning.com/clues/clue2.php

Another clue. it's an idea of the lay of the land.
    Last edited by Leo C; 08-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.

I believe that will be the last thing you see before plummeting back down to earth at near vertical :3
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!

Taken from the email linked I mentioned a few posts ago

Name:	SDCLandOutlaw.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	20628

So that's the layout of the Outlaw site in the distance before all the construction work?

Outlaw Run it is. Visit our main page story.

For those who don't like that the park is calling the 153* an inversion - stop and think about B&M's Immelman - is it really much different? One side of the train, just barely tips over on that element.

I'm ok with it being called an inversion. If 90 degrees is being completely sideways and 180 degrees in completely upside down, then 135 would be that midway point between the two. I feel if you cross that point, you're to being upside down so I don't have a problem calling it that seeing that it well surpasses that point. Maybe I would feel different if And when I ride it but for now, I'll call it an inversion. Even inclined loops don't put you at 180 degrees, right? Yet, they're called an inversion.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

Here are photos from the construction site from today (Aug 9)
    http://midwestinfoguide.com/silver/outlawrun/08.09.12/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast