Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass Next Coaster?

Hybrid View

Bluegrass Next Coaster?

If Bluegrass Boardwalk were to debut with a new coaster or try to build one after surviving a first season back what could it be?

I've thought about the park going small with a portable steel coaster the shape of a rectangle for the time being. I've thought of the Zamperla brand flywheel motorcoaster withh horse trains. Steeplechase is at Screamzone at Coney Island. The Pony Express at Knott's has the horse trains as well. Darien's Motocoaster fits over an old filled in resort pool pad. I thought this model could fit where the dragsters were next to Thunder Run.

I would even suggest the Zamperla Volaire flying coaster. The Elitch model that came to Screamzone did offer an improved ride with the new trains.
    Last edited by Leo C; 03-27-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I would think they would focus on refurbishing for the first couple years more than building new stuff, but I realize they will need new stuff to get guests to come back and give them a try. Don't forget how long stuff has been sitting without upkeep, especially the one section of the park where the twin coasters are, six flags didn't operate that section for one or two years.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Start by melting down T2.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

No idea. I never made it there when it was Kentucky kingdom and I'm only two hours away. Nobody I talked to liked it. So I guess to get my attention they would have to at least add something creative to the park to get my interest.

They wont get rid of any.

The park was fine and was a great park. They need a new marquee coaster and theres 2 locations they can build it at. A. Chang's location. It wont be used for the water park. B. Twisted Twins location. Those are pretty much dead and will cost a nice sum of money to fix up to even operate one of the coasters. I think that if they get a coaster for Bluegrass that they would also be buying one for Holiday World (package deals usually are cheaper). Like Bluegrass gets theirs in 2013, Holiday World in 2014/2015.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

A GCI woodie.

This would be my first choice - a close duplicate of this masterpiece:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	552791_3311107129363_1018652629_3038142_742096414_n.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	20196

Or if it has to be woodie, how about a REAL classic, like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	427875_3334955325553_1018652629_3052540_519559761_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	20197

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    Quote Originally Posted by PANTSFREE View Post
    A GCI woodie.
    Really? Try Gravity Group.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if they came with a steel coaster. They've been talking about a steel coaster at HW, and the package deal idea fits.
    ThrillNetwork Lead Moderator
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force or Magnum- tough call.

On the hunt for 400 Thunderhawk's Avatar
    I'm stumped. What rides are these?
    My hardest earned credit is The Legend at Holiday World, first ridden 5.19.2012, exactly 1399 days after my first visit to Holiday World.
    Next up: Off season. Boo.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFGAdv/Cedar Point/SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Ravine Flyer II, Outlaw Run, Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro @ SFNE, New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
    I'm stumped. What rides are these?
    That's the Mind Bender at Six Flags Over Georgia and the Big Dipper at Geauga Lake.

I said Mind Bender cuz it's such a great (and rare) type of looper - also one with a 42" height requirement and NO shoulder bars - those are 2 of Holidayworld's requirements. The reason I said Big Dipper (if we were talking about either Bluegrass Boardwalk or Holidayworld) is because it is a different type of woodie than either park has. A *classic" woodie with classic seating and traditional, somewhat slower hills ("pacing") would be something different than they already have.

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterDemon View Post
    That's the Mind Bender at Six Flags Over Georgia and the Big Dipper at Geauga Lake.
    Hmm... I've been on one of those rides and I still didn't recognize it (Big Dipper). I'll be getting the other in June.

Has there been any word on whether Twisted Twins will be saved?
    My hardest earned credit is The Legend at Holiday World, first ridden 5.19.2012, exactly 1399 days after my first visit to Holiday World.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFGAdv/Cedar Point/SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Ravine Flyer II, Outlaw Run, Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro @ SFNE, New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler

Has there been any word on whether Twisted Twins will be saved?
    I haven't heard anything about them... but I would think it's a great family ride that could be really fun with some TLC and perhaps some Timberliners. Many people disliked them, but the few times I rode it/them (with the exception of the hard lap bars and weird squealing of the Gerstlauer trains) I thought it was really a fun ride(s).

That's Mindbender at SFOG. It was once brown. Gerstlauer could make their Eurofighter though.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

The companies that made these classics have long since been defunct, so unless some other company has a nostalgic moment and decides to recreate these, it's no dice.
    ThrillNetwork Database Editor

"I won't stop riding roller coasters when I get old. I'll get old when I stop riding roller coasters" -Unknown
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World / Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    The companies that made these classics have long since been defunct, so unless some other company has a nostalgic moment and decides to recreate these, it's no dice.
    I have thought about that many times myself. Thing is, the park usually gets what the park asks for. And with Premier (or is it Gerstlauer?) reproducing Sooperdooperlooper trains, and Mack being approached about 'replacing' Whizzer with an exact duplicate, these things can happen if the parks wants them.

Same with the woodie; look at what a success the new Zippin Pippin has been

Not the new home of Batman & Robin: The CHILLER. it still is narrow enough for them.

I really feel like this is a package deal situation. I now get the feeling that theyre just going to open the park with some new rides and make the park look good again, and then the new coaster in 2014, with Holiday World getting their coaster in 2013.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion

Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

There weren't blueprints left for Zippin Pippin so it had to be carefully studied. It was built modern.
    Last edited by Leo C; 04-18-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Twisted Twins will likely not be saved. It will cost quite a bit to reopen BOTH sides and they could use the money better to scrap it for money and build an all new wooden coaster from Gravity Group. Look at it like this: 2 wooden coasters with steel supports that are rusted, hasnt been maintained in over 3 years, no trains for either coaster, possible rot, and all the track will have to be replaced, along with other issues like electrical problems. It would be a money pit and they weren't the best coasters, probably some of the more rougher ones I have ridden. If theyre saved I would be surprised.

Another thing, look at the real estate they take up. They could easily fit a compact twister coaster in there and 2 or 3 more rides.

I really wonder if the Holiday World owners would be that quick to build another Gravity Group creation. Although The Voyage was a number one for a number of years, it also seems to be a maintenance nightmare. There's not too many wooden coasters that require a complete, to the ground tear down of a large section of track after less than decade of of use.

I really wonder if the Holiday World owners would be that quick to build another Gravity Group creation. Although The Voyage was a number one for a number of years, it also seems to be a maintenance nightmare. There's not too many wooden coasters that require a complete, to the ground tear down of a large section of track after less than decade of of use.
    They didnt have to do that, they decided to do that to take advantage of new techniques and make the ride smoother, and also add extra air time. You also have to consider the extreme forces Voyage creates, its not your average kiddie coaster.

Something like Hades would be great for that Bluegrass Boardwalk, too! It's got the AWE power, but probably less than half the maintenance demands of Voyage. It could go under that darn road that runs through the middle of the park. Imagine Hades running under the likes of Holidayworld folks. It would be maintained impeccably and probably have 3 trains (Hades IS blocked for 3 trains, transfer or not).

(But I still think Twisted Twins will ride again.)

I think Holiday World still has a great relationship with GG. I doubt they've lost confidence in them. Voyage was one of the biggest undertakings in wooden coaster history, so it's understandable it needs a lot of maintenance. This is why it will eventually (god willing) have Timberliners to help it out.

As far as Twisted Twins goes, I hope they can be saved, but I have my doubts.

"I won't stop riding roller coasters when I get old. I'll get old when I stop riding roller coasters" -Unknown
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World / Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

Take your top 3 pick of 'most aggressive' woodies out there. Put them all together. Now double the speed. That's almost Voyage... They knew very well it would be needy maintenance-wise.

If it were at most other parks, it would have trims down the first drop, on the 5th hill, at the mid course, and a nice line of them on the run back.

I rode Voyage in 2008. I found it to be really rough at the time. Perhaps required was not the correct word to use, but clearly the park is not thrilled with how their prize is holding up. Hence the section rebuild. Its starting to slip in enthusiast rankings too.

I think that you may be looking at this from the wrong angle. If you had a child who did amazing throughout his elementary school years, would you just stop there, and never let him or her go on to high school? No, because that would be bad for his or her future. So, you send him or her on up the education system, because that's what's good for their future. Holiday World could be like the bad park parents of the world and do nothing but prevent Voyage from dying by adding brakes, neutering elements, etc... instead of making it better, or they could do what they're doing now, and work to ensure that its future is bright. I don't think this means they're unhappy with it. I think it just means they take good care of their "children" and roll with any issues that come up along the way.

^Agreed. Some of the worlds greatest coasters we have lost due to 'bad coaster parent' syndrome. Timberwolf, Georgia Cyclone, Texas Giant (the wooden version), Predator... Sure, many people still love those rides and will swear by them. But trust me, I rode them brand new and comparatively, they are dead now. Add The Beast to that group... Ahh yes... Blue Streak at Cedar Point all the Cedar Fair racer models. Smooth tracks, airtime (where you actually leave the seat and are not stapled in with ridiculous restraints); comfort, great views before hard backed headrests... etc.

If I have one complaint about Holidayworld, it was when they replaced the old buzz bars on Raven with the new stuff. It was smooth and had incredible air time. Luckily, some of that is still there due to their diligence at maintaining their rides. Most other parks have just given up... or fumbled over the years, slowly taking out the bite of their rides. Or actually... replacing the *bite* of a wild ride with the *bite* of discomfort and bumpy tracks (and removing the good wild).

What other park has added trains to not one, but 2 of their wooden coasters? Raven and Legend have had transfer tracks built and 2nd trains added. No brakes ...
    Last edited by CoasterDemon; 04-20-2012 at 04:04 PM.

I'm eying this kind of coaster: a compact Zamperla launcher with horse cars. It is Louisville after all.

Could the park be better represented with a Zamperla Volaire than T2? I know that's a low blow from me but I thought Soarin' Eagle the refreshed prototype of the Volaire was improved with the new trains.
    Last edited by Leo C; 05-19-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Hopefully we'll see more Zamperla coasters like this added to parks that are looking for a lot of bang for their buck.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

Ultra Poster
    I'm sure we will see the removal of Greased Lightning, Twisted Twins and T2, so we will need some coasters sooner of later.

Unless they add a kiddie coaster I don't expect a new coaster at opening. though if they removed the foam factory they could add a solid kiddie coaster to Kiddie land.

I suspect that in a few years we will see a wood coaster added to to replace the twisted twins. They could get a twister coaster and feature the new trains. another bonus is a more compact layout using the land better would a lot for a new midway and more flat space.
    Michael C
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Canobie Lake Park Salom NH | Wooden Roller Coaster: Yankie Canonball Canobie lake park Salom NH | Steel Roller Coaster: Ming Bender SFOG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast