Thread: Georgia Cyclone (SFOG) Now Open

Hats for (Carousel)Horses Racer's Avatar

Georgia Cyclone (SFOG) Now Open

The Georgia Cyclone re-opened today after the first drop was re-profiled. The trains were flying through the track today and the first drop and turn around sound a lot smoother. I plan on riding tomorrow so I'll be able to let you guys know how the new first drop feels.
    ThrillNetwork SpeedZone Editor and unofficial DB Editor
    Please stand with your feet flat on the... stand up.. no- why are you sitting??? STAND UP ON THE GEORGIA SCORCHER!!!
    2014 Coaster Draft: Leviathan, Banshee, Alpengeist, Aftershock, GoldStriker, DareDevilDive, GeorgiaScorcher, Tatsu, SheiKra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath(SFOG)

I will be at the park in the AM. I will try it again.
    ThrillNetwork Editor
    Wild Eagle will get the golden ticket
    worked 1987-2002 @ SFOG
    HAPPY 45 BIRTHDAY SFOG
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: thunderhead Dollywood | Steel Roller Coaster: mindbender sfog

Hope they get some of the rough spots out.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I wish I saw as dramatic results with the Cyclone at Six Flags New England last year. I'm glad around the chain work is getting done on the wooden coasters.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

The topper worked but as soon as you hit old track the ride is very rough. Let hope they get more done for next season. Once it finished it will be great.
    ThrillNetwork Editor
    Wild Eagle will get the golden ticket
    worked 1987-2002 @ SFOG
    HAPPY 45 BIRTHDAY SFOG
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: thunderhead Dollywood | Steel Roller Coaster: mindbender sfog

Hats for (Carousel)Horses Racer's Avatar
    I don't think all of the track needs replacing. We still want a little roughness.
    ThrillNetwork SpeedZone Editor and unofficial DB Editor
    Please stand with your feet flat on the... stand up.. no- why are you sitting??? STAND UP ON THE GEORGIA SCORCHER!!!
    2014 Coaster Draft: Leviathan, Banshee, Alpengeist, Aftershock, GoldStriker, DareDevilDive, GeorgiaScorcher, Tatsu, SheiKra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath(SFOG)

Quote Originally Posted by Racer View Post
    I don't think all of the track needs replacing. We still want a little roughness.
    In a perfect world (aka a non-six flags park) I would agree with you; however because this is a six flags park (and we all know about their stellar maintenance crew) I really hope they re-track 100% of it with topper track.
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

I'm so glad the Ga Cyclone has gotten some desperately needed attention. I rode it when it opened in 1990, and it was a top coaster - right behind Timberwolf, at the time. Both of those coasters fall into the 'not rateable' category for me these days. But I will always remember those first rides! The 1st, 2nd and 6th drops on the Ga Cyclone were nearly "knock you senseless" (but in a good way) moments. When I returned to the park in 1993, the 1st and 6th drops had been altered, but it was still a relatively smooth and great ride. Forward to 2007 I took one ride and it was kinda sad. Very sluggish and overly - ridiculously - bumpy and painful. The train was falling towards the center of the curves it was moving so slow. Same thing with my one ride on it in 2010 - thank god for the Mind Bender!

I sure hope they redo the rest of the ride as well. With a little more TLC, it could be a fairly enjoyable ride. I recently scanned in some pictures from my first trip to the park for the ACE spring conference in 1990: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=6d61d81e85

Those first two drops are great now, but after that it's the old girl just like before. Looking forward to when it's done in the next few years.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator