Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dollywood's next attraction!?

Editor

Dollywood's next attraction!?

It seems Dollywood is already looking into their next coaster.... From what I heard they are keeping a eye on the Silver Dollar City's new coaster currently being built as we speak. The Rocky Mountain project as it's called, Could we see a woodie coming to Dollywood?

Thoughts? Comments?
    The Adventure is coming! 2014 Coaster Draft picks
    Kingda Ka, Wild Eagle, ​Bahemath, The Kraken, FireChaser Express, Mavrick, Medusa, ​Full Throttle, Storm Runner,
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: ThunderHead | Steel Roller Coaster: Wild Eagle

Ooookkkkk.... Lezbereal. Dollywood just opened a multi-million dollar coaster. I think the last thing they're doing right now is figuring out what their next coaster is going to be. Plus, where in the existing park can you see them building a new coaster? I think they're going to have to expand some more before they put in another coaster. I say we won't see another coaster till 2017 AT THE EARLIEST

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood, given it's the best (only) park within driving distance of me... | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead (Dollywood) | Steel Roller Coaster: Tennessee Tornado (Dollywood).....Mystery Mine (Dollywood (2007))

If you look, TT came in 1999, Thunderhead in 2004, MM in 2007, and now WE in 2012. I doubt you will see a new coaster at DW for at least 3 years, and most likely 4-5 years based in their track record.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

I would agree with Rick. I see them in the next few years adding to their flat collection. If you look at the area on top of the mountain, there are virtually no flat rides since the whole thing with Timber Tower. I am sure their first priority will be to replace Timber Tower.
    I have heard rumors they Dollywood has a long term plan for the area on top of the mountain and Wild eagle is just one step of that plan. So we will have to see. In terms of land, they still have a lot undeveloped. Space wouldn't be a problem for a new coaster.
    2014 Coaster Draft : El Toro (SFGA) , Bizarro (SFNE), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Nemesis (Alton Towers), Blue Fire Megacoaster (Europa Park), Black Mamba (Phantasialand), Twister (Grona Lund), Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion) , Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), Cheetah Hunt (BGTampa)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath

My sources also have told me that they have a long term plan to expand to the area where the train makes a loop around the field at the top of the mountain. It wouldn't surprise me to see a whole new area open up there in the next 5-10 years including a coaster that had a small footprint.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

I see them doing something with the former Timber Tower area before building another coaster. They've filled the former ride area with picnic tables but I don't know if you can get over to them or what they're for, I didn't try walking to it yesterday. When you go up the lift hill on TT and look behind TT you can see open areas where there is nothing but trees and then you'll see random stairs, I always thought this was undeveloped DW land but wondered why there were stairs in the middle of nowhere.

You can get to the picnic tables by going through the old queue of Timber Tower. It is basically used as an overflow seating for Lumberjacks Pizza.
    As for the random stairs you are seeing. My guess is that you are seeing the platforms for SkyZip , their Ziplines.
    2014 Coaster Draft : El Toro (SFGA) , Bizarro (SFNE), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Nemesis (Alton Towers), Blue Fire Megacoaster (Europa Park), Black Mamba (Phantasialand), Twister (Grona Lund), Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion) , Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), Cheetah Hunt (BGTampa)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath

Enthusiasts always want parks to build coasters every year, but I give you one thing to think about... Six Flags Ohio.

Six Flags built FOUR coasters in 2000 and another one in 2001.

Not 2 years later the chain dumped the park. That model doesn't work, you can't just add rides like crazy and expect people to keep coming based on the new thing.
    Last edited by Wes; 05-01-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Minetrain Poster eastcoastermike's Avatar
    If memory serves me right, there was a survey that mentioned a "Rock & Roll" themed wooden coaster down in the Jukebox Junction section of the park. While I highly doubt that we'll see this coaster in 2013, that is a possibility of what the coaster may be and where it may be located. The only type of coaster that can fit in that area of the park is an out and back style coaster, so it may be a smaller coaster like Cannonball at Lake Winnie, which makes sense because that area of the park would be extremely congested if a large coaster opened up.

My guess, is that in 2013 we'll see a replacement to the Timber Tower, I just hope they don't jump on the Wind Seeker bandwagon.
    It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everyday always just exactly fits into the newspaper.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Hersheypark | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Afterburn

Here is my thoughts:
    2013: Timber Tower replacement (this is a duh)
    2014: Another Flat
    2015: New coaster (This is the earliest I could see them building one), but probably a new flat
    2016: New coaster (this is far more realistic)
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

Really? Are we just getting a bit too far ahead, a bit unrealistic? Dollywood is that big to consider another coaster and even a wooden coaster? Rocky Mountain needs a few more models, a better track record before I would consider putting another one near Thunderhead. Isn't Thunderhead award winning for its early years? That's not enough clout?!

Getting a little bit ahead of ourselves there. If anything I expect a family coaster like Howler from Holiday World. Blazing Fury is still there. Otherwise I would have considered Vekoma's mine train sitting at Freestyle Music Park - a great model.

In realms of size I'm still aware the train loop was cleared.
    Last edited by Leo C; 05-01-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Enthusiasts always want parks to build coasters every year, but I give you one thing to think about... Six Flags Ohio.

Six Flags built FOUR coasters in 2000 and another one in 2001.

Not 2 years later the chain dumped the park. That model doesn't work, you can't just add rides like crazy and expect people to keep coming based on the new thing.
    EXCELLENT point made! I mean yeah we all want a brand new coaster added to our home parks each year, but it just is not feasible. Not to mention every big coaster that is built takes at least 2 years to make. One year (minimum) of design and another year of building it. That means that before one coaster is built, the park is already working on the next one. That could prove to be an epic failure for them too. Every so often you will see a park do that, but it surely is not the norm at all. Roller coasters are just too expensive to keep adding them. You gotta space it out and at least let the newest one get paid off with profits first. Think about it, if Dollywood does add a new coaster next year, that is a $30 million debt before Wild Eagle even had a chance to get its' feet wet. And everyone can go ahead and get a wooden coaster out of your head. That is not happening anytime soon. Not with Thunderhead in the park. Name ONE amusement park in the world that had a top 5 wooden coaster in the park and then added another one? You don't put in competition for your top notch ride. Not until Thunderhead truly starts to slack off will Dollywood think about adding another woodie.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I honestly think whatever ride is next for dollywood will be something geared toward families. I mean, the past four coasters (not counting the sideshow spin) have been high thrill coasters. Dollywood has the sideshow spin for kiddies, and blazing fury, which is kind of low-mild thrill. I'm thinking what's next will be more of a mild thrill like a mine train, a jr. wooden, etc. They really lack something in the middle between the big 4, and the lower blazing fury and sideshow spin. I wouldn't mind having something mild in the park either. Everyone wants huge, high thrill rides, but I agree that a larger variety of coasters should be placed in parks instead of all thrills all the time.

I'd take a rocky mountain coaster of course, but I still think dollywood should invest in a smaller ride in 2-4 years, then do something bigger a few years later.
    -Termination complete-

Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood

Looking at the original post in this thread how did anyone get the idea that he was meaning another coaster next year? To me keeping an eye on the RMC at SDC means just that, they wouldn't decide based on it's early stages of construction if they wanted to see how it panned out before making the commitment they would look at a year or two of operations first, which would put a much more reasonable time frame for the next coaster. That said remember it takes years to plan coasters so yeah even though they just opened Wild Eagle the next coaster is likely already being discussed. Now what I do think will be likely for next year is echoed by others here in that I think we'll see something pop up in Timber Towers old spot next year and maybe a Blazing Fury refresh and Splash Country addition. I too would love to see more flats added through the newer sections but would also love to see a coaster for the Owens Farm section or for Country Fair maybe linking to Jukebox Junction. As far as the upper train loop is concerned, being that it is the same size as the lower train loop, there is just too many possibilities on what they might have up their sleeves. What would be the Dollywood equivalent of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter?

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    Name ONE amusement park in the world that had a top 5 wooden coaster in the park and then added another one?
    Holiday World

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

^ Busted.

Too many rides on Nitro will do that.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Barto View Post
    Holiday World
    I KNEW someone was going to bring that place up! lol Good catch and it was a risky move that paid off for them by upending the Legend. However, let's be honest, this is not something that will work all the time either. It is the only park that pulled it off and I don't forsee parks attempting it on a regular basis, especially Dollywood.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I don't see the coasters at the park being extreme thrill coasters. Thunderhead is probably the most intense in my opinion.

The park could put in a hyper (I know they claim WE is 200ft), and that would be a real extreme coaster in my opinon. WE is a fun looping coaster, with diferent trains that's about it. It's not an extreme coaster, it's a family "thrill" coaster to me.

it's a family "thrill" coaster to me.
    Exactly. It's a great ride, but it feels like Dollywood's equivalent to Cheetah Hunt.

I could see them doing a hyper too as far as the land, there's a lot of places they could hide the ride in the woods and just cut down minimal trees.

A Beast-style (out in the woods) hyper would be awesome.

Thunderhead needs some TLC far before they consider adding another wooden coaster. Honestly I'd be ok if DW never builds another wooden coaster at the park again. The fear of my spine vibrating into a thousand pieces is exactly what keeps me from riding Thunderhead anymore. It was an excellent ride during it's first years and unfortunately has become painful to ride for me personally.

A Beast-style (out in the woods) hyper would be awesome.
    I just came. Just imagine one going out into the woods behind Tornado or where the train loop is. I'd kill to see Gravity Group take a stab at a 8000 foot woodie

What about a drop tower where Timber Tower used to be?

^With all the problems Dollywood had with TimberTower, and as much as the public knew about the problems, I don't see them getting a tower ride in the near future.

I'd also like to remind everyone of Dolly's project in the Nashville area. This is a brand new investment, and I would guess some of the monetary capital will come from Dollywood. Since they are starting with a waterpark, and the thrill rides coming in later years, Dollywood also doesn't want to compete too much with their own new investment.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

But that's like saying, sorry Holiday World! No improvements to you! You'd be competing to heavily with Bluegrass Boardwalk!

Plus the Nashville project is separate from Dollywood (yes I realize it's Dolly's, but still).

I don't see anything else fitting in that spot but a drop tower, and the park needs one. They can have Carowinds' and we'll build a tall one. lol

I've ridden quite a few drop tower rides(mind you I haven't been all over the country like some here on the forum) and the only one I was ever impressed with was Tower of Terror at MGM, Orlando. The other drop tower rides did very little for me and rarely ever give me the sinking feeling that you get in your stomach.

Now that we've been talking about drop towers I just remembered the accident they had on the Tower of Power where the girl lost her foot. Maybe Dollywood is thinking really hard on a drop tower ride idea given that?

Hats for (Carousel)Horses Racer's Avatar
    ^That model is outdated anyways. I'm thinking something along the lines of Acrophobia at SFOG with more tilt.
    ThrillNetwork SpeedZone Editor and unofficial DB Editor
    Please stand with your feet flat on the... stand up.. no- why are you sitting??? STAND UP ON THE GEORGIA SCORCHER!!!
    2014 Coaster Draft: Leviathan, Banshee, Alpengeist, Aftershock, GoldStriker, DareDevilDive, GeorgiaScorcher, Tatsu, SheiKra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath(SFOG)

^I like what your thinking but must one up that idea. I actually sent this idea to S&S with no response so I'll share with everyone here. Take a drop tower that once at the top engages to a 4th dimension rail. Lower onto rail slightly to rotate seats face down, then drop, during the drop the seats could tumble over and right before the bottom you land on your back, then after the brakes the seats would be rotated back to the upright position. Since S&S already has most of that technology I thought they could take the idea and run with it, but that's been years ago without a response.

Funny thing with this thread is that it is titled, "Dollywood's Next Coaster." But the conversation always seems to go back to Timber Tower and what should replace it. It seems the general consensus is a drop tower. Considering the themeing that is still there, let me throw out two more suggestions I haven't heard yet.

Flying Disc - I know the footprint may be too big there, but they could give it a "Swinging Sawblade" theme.
    Top spin - Could give it a "Log Rolling" theme and could still tie in the water splash from Timber Tower.

Something else I noticed when I was there last week. If you walk up the path to Slidewinder. You will notice that they cleared a lot (significant amount) more trees past the Immelman on Wild Eagle. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast