Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cedar Point 2013 - GateKeeper

Cedar Point 2013 - GateKeeper

Matt Ouimet recently mentioned at the Erie County Chamber of Commerce that the 2013 Capital Expenditures would be $25 million. He also stated about opening up the view of the beach. With this new information, what does everyone think will be going on at the point next year?
    Jeff SpeedZone Senior Editor
    2013 Draft Picks: Gatekeeper, Shambhala, Outlaw Run, Goliath (Holland), Full Throttle, Lightning Racer, Alpengeist, Saw the Ride, Wooden Warrior

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: X2 and Shiekra

Does that mean they're getting rid of Disaster Transport? That would certainly open up a big chunk of beach.
    undefined

MidwestInfoGuide Chief Editor
    They are removing the building around Disaster Transport and the Sky Cabin or whatever the observation tower is called. The new coaster is supposed to intertwine with the bobsled and be located on that side of the park.
    | DHOLLON "SWOOSH" | ~ http://www.MIDWESTINFOGUIDE.com ~ | 585 COASTERS | MIZZOU-RAH! |
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City | Wooden Roller Coaster: PROWLER™ | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force™

Wow, keep the bobsled when the bobsled removal is a rumor every season now at The Great Escape? Intertwining the new coaster with the old bobsled gives them an extra obstacle before they decide to move it to Dorney to add to the new lower park used ride section.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I don't see DT leaving any time soon. I've been there during the week and it has had a longer wait than some of the other coasters. Don't know how much that will change if they loose the air conditioning, but it is a more family friendly coaster, even if its in the dark.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Is this where the "Mystery Wing Track" spotted in OH is going? It would be pretty sick to see a Wing Coaster intertwine with a current track. Wild eagle cost 20mil so it would be in Cedar Fair's M.O. to up the ante and build bigger!
    2014 Coaster Draft : El Toro (SFGA) , Bizarro (SFNE), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Nemesis (Alton Towers), Blue Fire Megacoaster (Europa Park), Black Mamba (Phantasialand), Twister (Grona Lund), Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion) , Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), Cheetah Hunt (BGTampa)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath

I highly doubt it. The new CEO was all about family friendly with the focus on building up the OTHER Fair parks, not being a Dick.

Plus, I dont see them getting a B&M Wing Coaster, but rather their own version of SkyRush or Furius Baco (Winged Mega or a Wing Ride).

This will more than likely be a clone for Six Flags, or a possible new layout for their Green Lantern (Superman has NO new movies out and another is being built currently. Green Lantern will have more to come) line. Plus, the color reminds me of Changs new colors at Great Adventure. I would love to see this go to a non Six Flags park, but the chances are slim.

Not to argue but I don't get the logic of "The new CEO was all about family friendly with the focus on building up the OTHER Fair parks..." and "Plus, I don't see them getting a B&M Wing Coaster, but rather their own version of SkyRush or Furius Baco" which are thrill rides themself.

Since this is a new coaster for next year and Six Flags was mentioned, there is actually a new Superman movie coming out next year, Man of Steel (2013) - IMDb so a new coastewr could tie into that at a Six Flags park.

Who knows where the green track will be going. One thing I've noticed in this thread is a lot of talk and speculation but no links to give further information on this. Where is this "info" coming from?
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

Meaning he isnt focusing on the full thrill aspect when it comes to shoving rides into their parks. It was stated that before he invests in anything major (or something along those lines) that he was going to build up the more forgotten Fair owned Parks (during Kinzels reign). Plus, he even said that while interviewed...so yea, most likely a no-go for a Wing Coaster.

Now, Ill be more clear about the Wing Coaster bit. I dont see Cedar Point getting a B&M Wing Coaster for next season, the season after, or ever really. I can safely guess that while they have their eyes on how X-Flight and Wild Eagle are going to do, they are awaiting the opening of Skyrush to see how the Winged Trains work and will base their decision off of that. Intamin gives more punch for their buck, and B&M are given a strong reliability with a less lack luster ride in the long run.

While I would LOVE to see The Point stop sucking on Intamins nipple and put something ELSE inside their park, I highly doubt it. The GP love MF, TTD and Mav to the point of fanaticism. Yes, Mantis and Raptor are fun rides, but they dont pack the same punch as those 3. The park will go with whoever makes the more popular rides within the park and what the GP are interested in. Sadly, that isnt B&M currently.

Next, there is no concrete evidence provided by anyone, this is pure opinion and obaervation based on what has been provided through either forms of media and good ole fashioned rumor mills.

For the Superman movie, yea...didnt know about that, but that wont come out for another year and no advertising that I know of has really happened. Guarentee the first trailer will be with the new Batman movie. Since only a title has been released with no other media starting, I see them riding the Lantern band wagon for another ride or two at least (3 are currently running, I forsee another two coming along).

If there is a new coaster at CP next year, I'd hope it's not from Intamin, at least not one of those type of varieties you mentioned. Their layout and elements share too many similarities of Millennium Force and Maverick. I like Intamin coasters even if their reliability leave something to be desired. B&M is almost always very reliable and since it has been more than a decade and a half since their last B&M coaster. there can be a lot done with a coaster that would be unique to CP. There are so many styles of coasters and elements not seen at CP that have been featured on newer B&M coasters. I'd much rather see that over another Intamin.

I also don't think the general public cares as long as the ride is fun, thrilling and big since that's usually a Cedar Point coaster tradition. If they did build a 200+ foot coaster with a good layout, I think the fans would love it. Also, at this point, whatever coaster they might get for next year will have nothing to do with the performance of X-Flight, Wild Eagle, SkyRush or any other new 2012 coaster. If CP is getting a new coaster for 2013, it's already been ordered and would start to be built in as little as four months from now depending on the size and the amount of time estimated needed for construction. Signs of construction at SFGAM for X-Flight appeared as early as the summer with land clearing and track showing up in the early fall sometime.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

Going with what DHollon stated, lets play that they are and using the site proposed. Land clearing would have already begun as well as an announcement that Transport would be closed for the season as well as all the CP Fanboys that are employees there mentioning something about loss of parking space for wherever.

There is too much in that area that could be put into a nasty situation if weather got bad during the latter part of the season. Plus Ohios Winters arent a scoffing matter up there. Construction would be slow with not much being able to get done.

Again, I bring up the point of family friendly to you. B&M arent exactly family friendly (no matter WHAT Port Aventura says about Shambahlah). We may not see another B&M touch the park for another 5-10 years to come.

For what I believe would happen for 2013? The start of am entire project that would involve the loss of the Housing for Transport and the Observation deck, some cleaning of that area up and the preperation of what would come in 2014. For 2014, I believe either a 60-120 foot tall GCI or GG would be put in to help cover up Transport and give it some new life, or something along the lines of Verbolten or Manta, something that would be fun for the whole family, would be another much needed starter coaster, amd would help round out the line-up the park already has.

I don't know, I just don't see Six Flags riding the Green Lantern train at all. Although it made money, the movie was overall a failure and last thing you want is a roller coaster named after a failed movie. I won't rule out the green track from a Six Flags park, but my gut says it is not headed there at all. As far as Cedar Point, I really wish they would stop riding the Intamin bandwagon. I mean I love Intamin roller coasters, but their reliability reputation is not that great at all. Also, Cedar Fair is not known for riding the new coaster style bandwagon either. They always wait a few years before attempting it. Would explain why there still is no wing rider/wing coaster, dive machine, original floorless, or B&M flyer in any of their parks. Leviathan is still shocking to see added to one of their parks, but they did at least add Giga's from a different designer first. If I was a betting man, I would say CPs new coaster will be more family friendly and if they did in fact go extreme, it is a wooden coaster. Because let's be honest, they don't have a single woodie worth talking about in that park. Now if Cedar Fair did in fact break their own new coaster design bandwagon rule, my money on a B&M wing coaster is Valleyfair! A place that is slowly becoming the forgotten amusement park.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Whelp, Wildcat is going bye-bye it seems, for expansion and stuff.

To begin anew: WHATS GOING THERE!? What will replace Wildcat? For such a small footprint, only one thing can replace it: ZacSpin.

Looking at all the other ZacSpins in the world, you can either have an insanely awesome ride with flips amd ****, or a mediocore ride that just has the drops and rocking motion. I do see that as an easy addition to a more Family Friendly ride if they go with the Kirnu (first one made) model, and not the Inferno/Insane model found at SFMM.

Discuss this new news peeps amd let the speculation, BEGIN! *pose*

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    I don't know, I just don't see Six Flags riding the Green Lantern train at all. Although it made money, the movie was overall a failure and last thing you want is a roller coaster named after a failed movie.
    Didn't stop Paramount from using Drop Zone, even though the movie was a huge flop. lol

CP does need a new credit to get back tied with Magic Mountain, I can see a new coaster coming there very soon if not next year.
    Last edited by Wes; 05-02-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Yeah true. Just lately I have seen parks get a lot smarter too. Like it has been a VERY long time since I've seen an American park add a brand new SLC or Boomerang. All in the past 12 years are relocations from somewhere else. Guess they are finally hip to the game that Vekoma makes crappy products and the GP can only endure the pain for so long before calling it quits. Although I still am not on board with the Zacspin ideas, it is an incredibly fun ride though. Only problem is the capacity nightmare and SFMM surely had one too.
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

A lot of stuff could go there besides a Zacspin. Another newer type of wild mouse for example. There are those coasters with the vertical drop, Eurofighter? Maybe a flatride or two. That isn't to say it couldn't or won't be a Zacspin but I doubt they are limited to that idea.
    Last edited by coasterlove; 05-02-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME

I know the chains seem to like the Euro fighters, but they are low capacity rides and CP gets such a big volume of people, I can't really see them picking something like that but I've been wrong before.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

You never know. I mean they do have Wicked Twister and that is pretty low capacity. However, it never was all that popular either. I mean it is a great ride, but it didn't command the attention like MF did.

True. They could go crazy and add a Euro fighter where Wild Cat is, and put in a new coaster on the beach. lol

MidwestInfoGuide Chief Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    Going with what DHollon stated, lets play that they are and using the site proposed. Land clearing would have already begun as well as an announcement that Transport would be closed for the season as well as all the CP Fanboys that are employees there mentioning something about loss of parking space for wherever.

There is too much in that area that could be put into a nasty situation if weather got bad during the latter part of the season. Plus Ohios Winters arent a scoffing matter up there. Construction would be slow with not much being able to get done.

Again, I bring up the point of family friendly to you. B&M arent exactly family friendly (no matter WHAT Port Aventura says about Shambahlah). We may not see another B&M touch the park for another 5-10 years to come.

For what I believe would happen for 2013? The start of am entire project that would involve the loss of the Housing for Transport and the Observation deck, some cleaning of that area up and the preperation of what would come in 2014. For 2014, I believe either a 60-120 foot tall GCI or GG would be put in to help cover up Transport and give it some new life, or something along the lines of Verbolten or Manta, something that would be fun for the whole family, would be another much needed starter coaster, amd would help round out the line-up the park already has.
    There is no reason that Disaster Transport would have to be closed the entire season. I would imagine that the "de-boxing" of DT will occur when the park returns to weekend only operation toward the end of the season.
    | DHOLLON "SWOOSH" | ~ http://www.MIDWESTINFOGUIDE.com ~ | 585 COASTERS | MIZZOU-RAH! |
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Silver Dollar City | Wooden Roller Coaster: PROWLER™ | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force™

I know the Eurofighters are low capacity but I can't imagine much worse than a Zacspin. Dueling Eurofighters! LoL
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME

Just to put another thought out there. It doesnt have to be the same size ride that was there before. They have removed the screen and the projection booth. Thats a pretty large open area with those gone plus wildcat. Im not going to speculate what it could be just wanted to point out that out.

http://*********.com/Forums/Thread/27348.aspx

Ill just leave that here for you all to investigate and talk about.

Toodles~!

Mwah! <3

Edit: Replace the Stars with *********

Well....apparently im trying to link to an unwanted and unliked site? Can another mod clarify this point buzz .com business to me?
    Last edited by Daniel Barto; 05-03-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Merging the double post

Never knew they edited things like that on this site lol thats funny.

Anyway why not not just say what you found? That way i dont have to investigate while at work

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    Well....apparently im trying to link to an unwanted and unliked site? Can another mod clarify this point buzz .com business to me?
    I thought it only did **** to T P R. Hmmmmm. This is odd.
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

Basically, Cedar Points midway is being turned into Celebration City (or Square). DJ Luminosity will be there nightly after a fireworks and LASER show to kick off a nightly dance party. Music was confirmed to not be current in america. Millie, Power Tower and the Ferris Wheel will be getting revamped LED light packages that will be equivalent to what WindSeeker looks like now. All paths will have LED ligting tracing them and even more to come. Honestly, lurk the site when at home.

That sounds sexy!!! That will be incredible
    Let it shine, let it shine
    On and on, on and on, come to life

David Crowder*Band: Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1-Thunderhead, 2-El Toro, 3-Wild One (SFA) | Steel Roller Coaster: 1-Intimidator 305, 2- Maverick, 3-Goliath (SFOG)

Those trains would make cute children's beds, they should retro fit them. lol

If i can remember right when i worked at kings island 04 i believe they did something just like this in the action zone area.

It was lame.

The Wildcat spot could become a row of Pepsi soda machines?
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast