Thread: Cedar Point 5/18/2012

Cedar Point 5/18/2012

I believe the best way to leave for a move, is to visit your "home" park or parks if you have the opportunity.

I had the opportunity to do just that, with Waldameer down last weekend, this weekend I headed up to Cedar Point. Took my friends Holly and Mike (Casper), my dad had to skip this time, but the lucky duck will have all summer to visit. Also met up with my friend Mike D. and his girlfriend, Sam. Decided to take a bit of a chance and park in the front parking lot. Row 23 C (not too far from the front.)

Paid $36.99 to get in, due to the Student I.D. pricing, and saved $4 from the AAA price. Didn't really notice any changes up front save for the giant T-Rex which invites people to spend more money $5 at the Dinosaurs Alive! Exhibit within the park. (Skipped out on this, but Casper and Holly said they'd check out later in the summer for me.)

Headed to the restrooms by Raptor, and of course being the front of the park, Raptor had already gained a 45 minute que line. Met up with my friends, and we decided to head toward the back of the park, via the Iron Dragon midway (Celebration Plaza). You can notice from the main midway the changes almost immediately, for example the big laser control station is no longer blocking part of the midway, so I am guessing there will be better movement of people through that area.

First ride of the day we decided to do a walk on for the Dodgems, and hit up Iron Dragon.

Iron Dragon-10 minute way for back
    For whatever reason, people avoid the back of ID, and I have no clue why. Seems the Draggon' Iron was running a bit smoother than usual, and even the turn into the brakes did not rattle my head as severely as usual. May need some paint in places soon, but it was a nice way to start the day.

Headed to Millennium Force, which had about a 45 minute wait, and notice more changes. Those lockers you used to have to put in the coins, and would not always work right have now been replaced by digital electronic locking lockers, where you can pay by the hour for up to 8 hours. $1/hour for small $2/hour for large, gives you your own pin number (you create your own), similar to the ones used at Wildwater Kingdom. Interesting but useful concept, $8 for a locker pretty much used all day and accessed whenever needed, not bad.

Millennium Force-45 minute wait (near back)

This trip, Holly was in the mood to ride nearly everything we were riding. Last time was not as enjoyable, so Holly was my riding buddy this time, and didn't want the very back, so I put us in the last car, second to last seat. Beautifully smooth ride, lots of airtime, and lots of speed. Millie doesn't seem to disappoint very often. Well worth the wait as well.

Continued along the frontier trail where not much has changed at all except for a few signs for Dinosaurs.

Shoot The Rapids---walk on
    It was beginning to warm up, so we decided to go on STR. Since we still had some loose articles, we took shifts riding. Mike, Sam, Holly and I went on first, Holly and I were the unfortunate front seaters, and got soaked. Thanks partly to Casper hitting us with the water bomb cannon as well. Casper and Holly rode the second time, but we failed with the cannons, so Holly just got more soaked.

We stopped at the petting farm with all the cute little animals, and a pretty determined rooster who wanted to get inside to nest. Was quite amusing.

Decided it was time to stop and get food---ate some loaded park fries (which now are apparently chili cheese fries instead of the ranch dressing, cheese and bacon?) and a Sobe which I kept the bottle for water.

After eating we decided to check out Mean Streak, which had become quite and no screaming wheels. Decided it was time to give Mean Streak a test run.

Mean Streak-5 minute wait for the back
    The true test I felt was in the very back of this coaster. If I could handle the back, then the coaster had improved. Still rattles your head around, but the coaster runs very smoothly. Mean Streak is back, still non-stop, but not rough. I loved the ride on M.S. and would have loved a front seat ride if the group would have let me.

Skipped Maverick, and headed to the Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Skyhawk.

CCMR, 10 minute wait
    Anything over 10 minutes for this coaster is not worth it in my opinion. Nice slow relaxing coaster is all CCMR is, and if you are bigger, you may not fit in comfortably.

Skyhawk--1 ride wait
    Convinced Holly to ride this under the pre-tense it's a "giant" swing, and Bert the Conqueror rode it. Had the most annoying ride op there I've ever seen, a bit of a bad attitude on her too.

Big Change in this part of the park---Wave Swinger is being dismantled? (Confirm please) Wave Swinger was sitting in pieces in the back of the park, either looked like they were having mechanical issues and were fixing it, or that the parts were being taken apart to be shipped away elsewhere. Still a big shocker because that is a fun swing ride. Guess it can't compete with MaXair, Skyhawk, and Windseeker.

Headed toward the Gemini midway.

Gemini was running two trains even though it wasn't too busy in the park.

Gemini- 5 minute wait if that for back of Blue Train.
    They were trimming the Gemini in weird places, the red train was trimmed on the very last high turn, while the blue had no trims until it went into the turn around into the station. This ride was very very rough, but full of airtime like none other. Best and worst ride at the same time.

Headed out of the park and paid the $5 for go karts (yes, I'd rather spend my $5 on go karts than the Dinosaurs.)

Back in for a ride on Magnum. Rode seat 1-3 (close enough to the ejector) with Holly, since she didn't want the back... Ouch! Fun though, and about a half hour wait.

Skipped Corkscrew (headache central) and TTD was sporting a very hefty line.

Couldn't find the entrance to Power Tower, since they completely redid that part of the midway as well, and I'm not a big fan anyhow.

Hit up the Matterhorn, and headed toward Wicked Twister area.

Wasn't feeling WT at the time, MaxAir had a pretty nice line, Disaster Transport I learned was closed, (not sure why) and did not open the whole day
    Went on the Skyscraper for old time sake, even though I am pretty afraid of SLOW moving rides and heights. Had some awesome views of the new paint on Blue Streak, the Lake and Sandusky Bay. Beautiful.

The group had split up back near Maverick, so it was just Casper, Holly, and I wandering around, although we ended up along the same path most of the night, we didn't meet up again. Quite amusing.

Raptor-1/2 hour
    We were pretty sunburnt waiting for Raptor, and of course they had us waiting in the sunny ques instead of us looping around under the ride. Rode Front seat, and was able to sit on the outside thanks to my friends being nice.

Blue Streak--walk on back seat
    Blue Streak must be a coaster that gets better with age, always a blast, and lots of airtime. Back to the good old Blue Streak

Hit up Cedar Downs and the Antique cars before heading to our locker.

While Casper went and got our stuff out of the locker, I went and checked out the lighting and stage set up for Luminosity, where I ran into Bill Sphen, who didn't say too much and disappeared quickly after, and a few minutes later met the new CEO of Cedar Fair. Amazing man, I see nothing but awesome things in the future for not just Cedar Point, but all of Cedar Fair. Will he bring back rides at Geauga Lake, probably not, but will he continue to improvise and improve the existing parks, you bet.

Took the train back to the back of the park.

Maverick-1/2 hour
    Mavie was having some launch issues, so the ride was temporarily down, and people kept coming out of line. Casper and I being knowledgeable on how these mechanical issues USUALLY work, waited in line, and it paid off. Walked up to the old ques for WWL inside. Waited for front car second seat, since Holly was afraid of the front.

Bought an elephant ear and walked towards Gemini Midway (again)
    Stopped over in Camp Snoopy for a Woodstock Express (Holly never rode) ride and a ride on the Tilt A Whirl. (If I would have known anyone could ride the Tilt A Whirl there, I would have had my first Tilt A Whirl been at Cedar Point, but at least I got one in this season).

Checked out the Dino Store, and from the looks the Dinosaurs Alive! Has some pretty good themes. The "adventure" host was dressed up in something right out of Jurrasic Park, or the Safari adventures. Kind of wish I would have went through to be honest.

Rode the Witches Wheel, and checked out the line for TTD.

TTD--we were warned that it would be a "buggy" ride. Holly sat this one out, rode corkscrew instead (her favorite and no one else wanted to ride).
    Ended up freaking out a guy with the stories of rollbacks, and the train being perfectly balanced. Always funny.

Rode the scrambler and headed over to see if Disaster was open, but much to my dismay it was not.

Casper and Holly went and rode the Ferris wheel and left me to wander along by my lonesome.

Hit up MaxAir and decided to go on Wicked Twister.

Rode WT 5 times in a row, two front, one back, two middle, and managed to snag being on the last train of the night.

Honestly this was probably one of the best, if not the best trips I've ever had to Cedar Point. I absolutely LOVE the changes in the park, if you looked into them, and knew the truth then you would see they are doing this for the best of EVERYONE not just the coaster fans. Cedar Point truly is becoming a family park, which Casper, Holly and I did discuss if when the time came for children of our own, would we bring them to Cedar Point. All of our answers were absolutely, 100% YES! Thank you Cedar Point for putting on an amazing show, and hopefully I'll be back in September.

P.S. The lights for Luminosity were testing, and it looks amazing, as well as the Giant Wheel lighting. Another Kudos goes to CP.
    Xtreme Coaster Enthusiast
    Finding my way in the world, and riding some awesome coasters while I'm at it!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Waldameer, Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead, Ravine Flyer II, Colossus, Raging Wolf Bobs | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback, Maverick, Magnum

Thanks for sharing this. I'm glad you had such a great time and it's good to know that CP is working on being family friendly.

The rumor I'm starting is that they're taking out DT.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

Well it was very peculiar since it was so beautiful out there, and DT wasn't running, but what strikes me as even more odd is why Wave Swinger was in pieces....
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Waldameer, Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead, Ravine Flyer II, Colossus, Raging Wolf Bobs | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback, Maverick, Magnum

Minetrain Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterell View Post

Big Change in this part of the park---Wave Swinger is being dismantled? (Confirm please) Wave Swinger was sitting in pieces in the back of the park, either looked like they were having mechanical issues and were fixing it, or that the parts were being taken apart to be shipped away elsewhere. Still a big shocker because that is a fun swing ride. Guess it can't compete with MaXair, Skyhawk, and Windseeker.
    Just got back from a Memorial Day visit, Wave Swinger was up and running normally.

ah so it must have still been in pieces from the off season.