Thread: Article: Stinger stuck with passengers for 90 minutes

Article: Stinger stuck with passengers for 90 minutes

ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

VEKOMA QUALITY!

"Your hanging there with that harness, hanging, hoping that they don't throw the wrong switch and the harness open up," said Ray Reichardt.

Obviously doesn't know how restraints work.

"Dorney Officials say Wednesday's incident was "completely different" then what happened in California."

Doesn't matter, a crappy ride is still a crappy ride. I like these coasters, but they have a horrible track record of breaking down.

Two Face broke down several times, I know it got stuck in the cobra roll at least once, and I think on the lift too.

Maybe Kings Island is the only one to maintain theirs, they are the only one I know that hasn't gotten stuck.
    Last edited by Wes; 06-07-2012 at 08:52 AM.

On the hunt for 400 Thunderhawk's Avatar
    90 minutes on a Vekoma? That's punishment.

Since it's face to face seating do the other 3 people over the 90 minutes become your new friends or does a spitting match commence?

I guess there wasn't a full mechanical-controls overhaul during the move. This ride is running like it always had apparently. I had previously ranked this one higher than the Kings Island one. Two Face was my favorite.

I wouldn't mind 90 minutes on a Vekoma...stopped, that is.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

For an inverting model I think Rick lost his mind.

The mine train at Freestyle Music Park and (Grover's) Vapor Trail at Sesame Place are pretty good Vekoma noninverting coasters.
    Last edited by Leo C; 06-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Crazy news people, always looking for something to exaggerate about. Glad I didn't get stuck on it, but they are blowing this a little out of proportion.

Have to wonder if the ride op from Orlando knew what the ride looks like, or if he has ever operated something bigger than space mountain? He comments "90 Minutes? I've worked on a rollercoaster and I find it completely impossible and irresponsible to leave guests trapped for that long. There are evac procedures for a reason. With the park I work at, if a ride is down for longer than 10-15 mins, we have to do a mandatory evac. No if ands or buts. They should of had those guests off the ride 10-15 minutes after they went down. 90 minutes is just insane."

Guess this ride is officially broken in now. Because a Vekoma just isn't a Vekoma until it gets stuck. Now this one has the notorious title of doing it on the east and west coast.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I thought it was hilarious when Carolina Cobra broke down before it could even do its debut on media day. They did finally get it going again, but it looked pitiful for about an hour while they worked on it, while the media were all watching.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Minetrain Poster
    The one at Great Escape derailed a week before this one

insande

Quote Originally Posted by Brian H View Post
    Crazy news people, always looking for something to exaggerate about. Glad I didn't get stuck on it, but they are blowing this a little out of proportion.

Have to wonder if the ride op from Orlando knew what the ride looks like, or if he has ever operated something bigger than space mountain? He comments "90 Minutes? I've worked on a rollercoaster and I find it completely impossible and irresponsible to leave guests trapped for that long. There are evac procedures for a reason. With the park I work at, if a ride is down for longer than 10-15 mins, we have to do a mandatory evac. No if ands or buts. They should of had those guests off the ride 10-15 minutes after they went down. 90 minutes is just insane."

yes i worked at six flags over georgia and we had the same issue depending on if it was a ground ride or a roller coaster but either way if they broke down longe than 10 minutes we evacauated however i dont know about where you work at but there if we fixed it and the ride broke down a second time during the day or the week in general we closed the ride for two weeks to a full maintenance on the ride.

closing a coaster for maintenance or for that annual train switch is a ***** cause the visitors see the ride operating but you gotta keep on saying " we have switched our trains and are testing the trains "

^I pulled that from the comments below the article. My point was that there is no catwalk, or access of any kind to the train when it is stuck on the lift hill, thus an evac can't be done in 15 min time, unless they have the cherry picker really handy. Having just been to the park, and knowing that Stinger isn't in the most accessible place, I can see why it might take awhile to evac. I'm not sure about the part or timeline where they finally got the train down manually without having to evac, but it all depends on what tripped that the ride couldn't run.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback