Thread: Article: BlueGrass Boardwalk no longer opening park

Article: BlueGrass Boardwalk no longer opening park

~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    That was the last best chance for reopening a park that was once a nice little place to visit. This is almost as much of a shame as when Ed Hart threw it to the Six Flags dogs in the first place.

I knew it wasn't gonna happen. I had a gut feeling that they were gonna bail on it. They had no idea of what they were getting themselves into, they didn't realize how bad of shape the park was in, and the fair board never helps the situation. When Six Flags abandoned the park, I knew their was still a chance to see it reopen under a new operator, but those chances seem even slimmer now-a-days. I have serious doubts if it'll ever reopen. The park continues to deteriorate and I bet their is about 30 million in repairs needed to be done.

As far as I'm concerned the only viable chance to reopen Kentucky Kingdom is with Ed Hart. The fair board should beg him to come back into the picture, apologize for bailing on him, then help him secure funding. I think they should approach Papa Johns and Yum Brands and other major Louisville Businesses and see if they would invest into the park, seeing that they regularly invest in other area attractions. If that cant happen, then they might as well start demolishing the park.

Might as well burn the place down now. *disappointed*

The fair board is the problem, I believe.

In an Interview Ed Hart said he was done with the park completely. It was mainly financials that screwed the park over, but it was mainly on the Fair Board side. The Koch Family was that last places hope unless the fair board does something.

I believe it was also said in the Ed Hart interview that if Bluegrass Boardwalk didn't go through, it was going to cost Louisville around 65-70 million bucks in taxes. Let me see if I can't go and find the article somewhere.

It wouldn't cost the taxpayers a dime. I find it quite hilarious Ed even said that. He was all about getting the state to pay $30 million and the city roughly $20 million to fix it up. The Koch's asked for now public money from the city or state. So with no tax payer dollars on the line I'm not sure how I would be stuck with such a ridiculously high figure of money.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

They really should sell it outright. If push comes to shove, let the fair board stay in control of their precious parking lot, and sell the park land itself. Maybe create some sort of contract with any new owner that requires the park to be used during the fair.

I'm afraid it's too late though. I have a feeling this is the end of the line for Kentucky Kingdom.

My friend said perhaps this was a move by Koch to scare a competitor in the future out.

This place was originally the Kentucky State Fair midway correct?

I'm the good looking one Brian F's Avatar
    A town called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)
    ^ Holiday World thrived and became a coaster destination while Kentucky Kingdom circled the drain. The people who are dreaming up some "dark conspiracy to monopolize the area by the Koch family," really need to take off the tinfoil hats. This was killed by greed on the part of the fair board, plain and simple.

Kentucky Kingdom was a pretty dominant park in the area, next to Kings Island in the 90s. They was opening the newest rides each year finally topping 1 million guests. Six Flags comes in and sinks the park to 600,000 or less guests.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion

Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

The final straw was the accident on Hellavator.

Honestly my one visit there when Six Flags was in charge, the whole side where Chang was looked like it was abandoned. Horrible looking park.

I was also denied Thunder Run because of very strange seatbelt arrangement on its trains. Only woodie besides El Toro I've ever been denied.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I refuse to believe the Kochs would ever do anything like that, Leo. They are good people.

And to answer Leo's other question, it would appear by a quick google search that it was originally the state fair midway. I also recall seeing on SFKK maps where they would have separate hours for the state fair, with a different pricing structure.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

The park was originally opened in the later part of the 80's as an extension of the state fair midway. Which went bankrupt due to numerous factors (hot year and no water rides so people didn't want to go). Then Ed took over and got it going before selling out to Six Flags.

I'm more interested in that park being separated out of the regular schedule, whether it was run by Six Flags or Hart, for the fair. So that park became a big part of the Kentucky State Fair when the time of year came. It's a shame for the fair that this midway is not available for the fair anymore. The place is more acclimated for a Zombieland movie unfortunately I suppose. Twisted Sisters was a Premier- pre Six Flags name addition before Premier officially changed the name of the park after the Six Flags merger to SFKK?
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender