Thread: Article: Six Flags Fiesta Texas closing Rattler

Article: Six Flags Fiesta Texas closing Rattler

ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

The lawsuits have little to do with the closure. It is closing because it was a terrible ride and was never built to withstand all the wear and tear it would endure. Another RCCA coaster bites the dust! I was never a fan of this ride and surely won't miss it. The question now is what will replace this ride. Getting rid of it opens up a lot of space at the park.

Closing it right after re-tracking it with the Topper Track in sections? Texas Giant time.

I'm hearing the same rumors it's going to get redone as well.

The only time I rode this coaster was in one of those motion movie theaters and it showed Rattler.

I just watched a POV of it, what a horrible layout. Boring and rough.

Honestly I don't think Rattler could ever withstand a Texas Giant-like makeover. Unlike Texas Giant, Rattler has developed a HUGE structure sway to it. I mean all coasters are supposed to move a little bit, but this one moves a lot more than the average. I think Rattler is literally tearing itself apart. And to add steel to that wooden structure would require them to replace a lot of supports on the ride just to make it work. So much to the point where it is basically an entire new structure. Not sure if that would be financially smart and Six Flags is the last place to mess with finances. Also, keep in mind that Rattler is an RCCA creation too.....

Not a very good ride, but kinda wish I could ride it once more before it closes. Regarding the sway, I believe it has always had that sway, and has only gotten better in recent years. I think the last time I rode it, after they put the topper track on, you could barely even feel the snap/sway on the fan turn. Not too sad to see it leave, though it does leave Texas with only 2 wooden coasters left, I believe.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator
    Houston Thrills Central | Freude Am Leben
    Marvel McFey is dead.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Undecided | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

Actually, the rumor going around now is that Rattler will keep all up to the lift, get its original drop back, have the second drop reprofiled and after that an entire new ride.

I remember observing the serious sway from the station. The helix was so boring: bank, turn, bank, turn....

According to this article the Rattler is done for completely. http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...-5-3694324.php

Well you have to consider that Six Flags hasn't said anything about plans to re-do it so the media is going to report only what they know.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

On the hunt for 400 Thunderhawk's Avatar
    I really hope this ride is getting redone Texas Giant style, otherwise I am really going to regret postponing my Texas trip to 2013. Although I am sure the ride experience is terrible, this is an infamous coaster and I would have liked to ride it once.

Minetrain Poster The Skooter Guy's Avatar
    Is its manufacturer still in business? If so, they could've kept it serviceable.

RCCA died, thankfully.
    My God is not dead, He's surely alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion
    Thrillnetwork Moderator, formerly Tigeraceray

Just keep your eyes on Christ - Lecrae
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

Quote Originally Posted by wookiewes View Post
    According to this article the Rattler is done for completely. http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...-5-3694324.php
    That's the article linked from this one. Yes, it implies Rattler will be removed entirely.
    ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    RCCA died, thankfully.
    That means that spares are becoming scarce & very expensive.
    The Rattler's site is suitable for a water park expansion!
    Last edited by The Skooter Guy; 07-12-2012 at 03:27 AM.

It's a wooden coaster using PTC trains, so I'd imagine spare parts aren't really too hard to come by, and expanding the waterpark to the Rattler site would be more difficult than just expanding into the massive parking lot on site, so I doubt either of those are reasons for closure.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator
    Houston Thrills Central | Freude Am Leben
    Marvel McFey is dead.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Undecided | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Superman: Ride of Steel (SFNE)

Rattler's final day of operation tomorrow.

Apparently pallets of wood have been seen on site within its helix. Maybe the Rattler will be reborn, but as something new and far better.
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!
    Creation List: Indecisive - Timber Wolf: The Hunt - Rewind - Omega - Forbidden Forest Ride - unknown
    Tutorials: Current: B&M Floorless/Sit-Down inverting
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrocket

Get on Rattler while you can. Don't be an ass waiting in line. The ride sucks wherever you ride it I'm sure. I hated that boring helix: bank, turn, bank, turn. The sway was scary on that structure to see in person.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    Apparently pallets of wood have been seen on site within its helix. Maybe the Rattler will be reborn, but as something new and far better.
    So after all, Rattler would undergo an overhaul & an exciting name change. So it wouldn't 'rattle' but instead, simply 'roll'!