Thread: Article: Amputees sue Universal Studios Hollywood

Article: Amputees sue Universal Studios Hollywood

ThrillNetwork editor emeritus - NSCIGC member
    Voyage is the best coaster
    Raptor ride count - 1,160.
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point, Holiday World, Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Raptor

I say let them attempt to sue. I guess they didn't read the article about Ride of Steel last year. Yes, you are afforded certain rights as a disability, but one of those rights is not to risk your life for the sake of equal opportunity. If the park sets a guideline on what they deem safe to ride, then everyone should have to adhere to it. Not to mention every park base their restrictions off of common sense, state laws, and past accidents too. Revenge of the Mummy uses a lapbar to restrain someone. How does the person without legs get restrained? Then if they make it that you must have upper limbs too, so be it. It is their ride, not the customers and despite the denial, they are looking out for the customers safety while at the same time trying to cover their own behind. Only in the United States do you see this crap with lawsut happy people. In Europe a customer wouldn't DARE attempt to sue because the park will simply tie it up in litigation for so long that the person will go broke anyways. Not to mention you pay for everything there. No such thing as a 'free' lawyer until you win. Common sense would say this wouldn't be a winnable case there.

There may have been changes to the restraint system, or to the safety precautions.

I think the courts will probably throw it out.

When I was there it was just a lap bar restraint. They also asked if my son was able to brace himself even though he has all his arms and legs. I really don't think they have a case at all, certainly not the person with no legs.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

Seriously? Ugh...this is why stupidity pisses me off. What makes it worse is they want policies change, ones that are their to keep them ALIVE, so that all people missing limbs can ride and potentially either get killed or in the event of an e-vac, get everyone else killed as a worst case scenario.

This is getting ridiculous in my opinion. Seriously, I hope the judge punches them in the face over this and they lose a **** ton of money hiring a lawyer.

faceplam.jpg over and over again.

In a perfect world, they would be allowed to ride with the operator and park knowing full well they might be thrown from the ride and die and suffer no consequences such as a lawsuit because of it. Sound harsh? Too bad. I'm so sick and tired of garbage like this. People just want to sue over anything. It's not discrimination since it's being done for their safety. The whole thing is ridiculous to be honest.

I worked for universal and bush gardens and both have certain guidelines for their rides. You have to be able to ride the ride safely. this is for your safety and the safety of other guests. we understand those who wanna ride a ride and are not able to due to medical issues such as heart conditions pregnancies and in this case amputations. these guidelines are set forth for the protection of the park in the long run and not entirely the guests for instance. if bob rides revenge of the mommy raises his hands and loses them, he is entitled to his injuries, if the signs were not up in tue que stating who sohuld and shouldn't ride the ride are not posted than the park would be entitled. the signs say " guests who have the following .....should not ride this ride for this reason" it doesn't say they are allowed too.. the operator has no authority to refuse the passage of a guest onto a ride for any reason other then being too short. so yes sue but do not sue the park sue the person who refused your passage cause this is against code of cast conduct

Now, my qiestion for you is this:

Was this before, during or are you still employed within either of those companies, the Superman: Ride of Steel amputee death? Since then, a LOT if not all major parks have drastically changed their rules or have seriously enforced the disability rules they use.