Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Fair 2013

Cedar Fair 2013

Looks like Cedar Point is getting something, anyone else heard rumblings around the chain?

Carowinds as of yet hasn't had any hints at something for next year. If it was a coaster, I'm sure there would be land clearing, flags or something by now.

I'd really like to see a Thrill Zone makeover, with either a flat or new coaster.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Vote For Royaland of NASCAR in the 2014 Coaster Draft!

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

In a plane, on a rollercoaster near a storm.
    Cedar Point-New B&M Wing Coaster. It was announced at CoasterMania today that Disaster Transport will be closing on July 29th. Space Spiral will soon follow.

Kings Island-Son of Beast is more than likely on the way out.

Valleyfair-Possibly Dinosaurs Alive

Cedar Point is getting @!!$!(*%%

Or that's eactly what their Facebook says. It mentions that both Disaster Transport and the Space Spiral will close. It doesn't say what is coming yet obviously other than what they're calling it above. Any thoughts?

Edit- The Facebook post also used the word "fly" when it said "...as we fly into the future..." This definitely would be consistent with the rumors out there of the wing rider coaster going there.
    Last edited by coasterlove; 07-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

8 characters in the symbols. I saw that too. I guess this can be the Cedar Point construction thread. I'll hit Search. Later on we can change the name of the thread.

Ok I'm deciphering it as "Surfhawk"
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

On Facebook some users are pointing out that the mystery letters are Banshee!!
    Jeff SpeedZone Senior Editor
    2013 Draft Picks: Gatekeeper, Shambhala, Outlaw Run, Goliath (Holland), Full Throttle, Lightning Racer, Alpengeist, Saw the Ride, Wooden Warrior

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: The Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: X2 and Shiekra

So we would get a somewhat more appropriately type coaster that may have a wail to it if they use a different style wheel combo?

I need to figure out how to get google map images as a map image in No Limits.

For possible layout, I see a variant of Wild Eagles layout if the location is where it is slated to be. The Zero-G and Wingover would be perfect over the midway.

~Website Admin and Staff Director~

Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator 305

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    On Facebook some users are pointing out that the mystery letters are Banshee!!
    Cedar Point won't name it that though. That was the original name for Mantis but CP changed it up because they thought it may be offensive to some visitors.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

I'm a little disappointed by the timing of the closing of Disaster Transport. I'm going there in August along with one friend who has never been there before. On a somewhat related note, I want to know how Mean Streak is running but head here- http://www.thrillnetwork.com/showthr...021#post866021 if you have an opinion.

Back on topic, it looks like they're going to make their announcement in 30 days. So that's cool because they should announce it by the time I go and I'd imagine they would have something on display to show off their 2013 project.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

Hats for (Carousel)Horses Racer's Avatar
    Leo, it's actually 9 symbols. And I'm assuming the symbols that are repeated will correspond to repeating letters.
    ThrillNetwork SpeedZone Editor and unofficial DB Editor
    Please stand with your feet flat on the... stand up.. no- why are you sitting??? STAND UP ON THE GEORGIA SCORCHER!!!
    2014 Coaster Draft: Leviathan, Banshee, FullThrottle, Aftershock, GoldStriker, DareDevilDive, GeorgiaScorcher, Tatsu, SheiKra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath(SFOG)

Banshee - I love the sound of it.

I'm still thinking in terms of how the wing rider is currently engineered. I expect an element we haven't see yet on the wing rider line. Just like Raptor grew the early line of B&M inverters I expect this ride to perhaps have the B&M version of the Intamin Norwegian loop. It would enter via inline roll at the top and exit in the same fashion out through a roll. It's basically a sitdown version of the pretzel loop. The wingriders line has shown me inlines otherwise it's wide turns, wide corkscrews. A wide entry loop that Wild Eagle has could be a second element to the ride.
    Last edited by Antoine; 07-14-2012 at 12:12 AM.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

The renaming of Banshee to Mantis didn't really have to deal with the name "Banshee" being offensive to anyone. It was more so that those who knew what the word meant may not want to ride it because a Banshee fortells death. CP thought that the name wouldn't go well with the new coaster for that reason so they renamed in Mantis. In the present, with so many more rides out there being named something related to "Fear" or harm, I don't think Banshee would be as big of a deal anymore.

Here's how people got "Banshee". Does somewhat add up, and it's weird how this is possible if it's not intentional-
    @ = 2 = B (2nd letter)
    ! = 1= A (1st letter)
    !$ =14 = N (14th letter)
    !( = 19 = S
    * = 8 = H
    % = 5 = E
    % = 5 = E

I don't understand this hyper-sensitivity to coaster names.

Yes I do understand on the surface, but like when Tsnami was renamed then why? It's not like people are going to go "I'm offended by that coaster name! I'm not going to that park!". Of course there's a few nutjobs that may, but overall most people could care less what a coaster is called.

I hope it is Banshee, because I always wanted BGW to build one called that.

I mean, we've had a coaster around for 30 years called DEMON. And there's a newer coaster called POSSESSED. Why not protest those?
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313 ** Proud Member of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten

Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I could care less about the name of a ride. And as far as flats, I usually end up forgetting the name of them anyways unless they left quite the impact on me. But with coasters, I am more concerned about who designed the ride than the name for it. I'm more hesitant to get on a coaster because it is designed by TOGO than it being called Banshee. I do wonder if they will bring that name back or is it yet a clue towards something relating to a Banshee.
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Either they're trying to throw people off or it isn't the name. They posted again on Facebook using another set of characters. So maybe it was just a random order or they were surprised that people got it and not want to throw us off that path. Here is the post-

Watch out for inversions and (!%!@@!#%(!@!!^ You didn't think we would give away 2013 THAT easy did you?

More interesting is that left a picture with it as well.
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...01416630_n.jpg
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME

The new post today totally looks like it could be "Banshee". Anyone see it on the Facebook page? It also says "Watch out for inversions and (!%!@@!#%(!@!!^ You didn't think we would give away 2013 THAT easy did you?" Trying to decipher that might also be a bit harder, but doing the same thing for "Banshee" it rearranges to "FALSE CLUES" (so watch out for FALSE CLUES). That picture totally looks like the eyes from Steel Force (which we all know that Steel Force's logo is the abandoned Banshee Logo).

Onto other things....people are really reading into the "dismantle term". Technically dismantle is a nicer way to say "Tear out" but in the past when rides have been removed the statements have either been "retired", "remove", "taken out" or "torn down". This has lead to a number of "theories". I'll post in order of the ones I think are most likely (down to least likely)

1. "Space Spiral" is being torn down & the term "dismantle" was directly applied to "Disaster Transport". Yeah, the last ride may be on "Disaster Transport" but what if it is just the building that is removed? That would open of the view of the beach that Ouimet wants and it keeps a family coaster. Granted it is loud and somewhat of a maintenance problem, I'm sure it could be worked on. This also keeps in line with what DHollon stated in the Cedar Point thread. He's usually right too, so I'm not letting this one go quite yet. The effects in the building haven't worked for some time, so I'm sure that would be reason enough to tear it down when there is plenty of other places to store stuff at the park.

2. "Space Spiral" being moved to another park. This one I feel jumps leaps and bounds down to being less likely. The anchor of "Space Spiral" goes down almost 200 feet into the ground, that'd be a heck of the pain to tear up and then plant in another park quickly (it would probably be cheaper to just build a new one somewhere). Yet people are holding on to the hope. The latest rumors are that "Space Spiral" is being moved to Canada's Wonderland. This goes a long with the term "dismantle" as well.

3. "Disaster Transport" is being moved to some other park (either Worlds of Fun, Carowinds or Michigan's Adventure). This goes a long with the term "dismantle" as well. It's a maintenance problem like "Space Spiral" but it could be refurbished during the move (like most moved rides are). Demon Drop runs fine at Dorney doesn't it?

4. "Space Spiral" being moved to someplace else on the Cedar Point peninsula. Yeah, this is the least likely for many reasons. Assuming "Space Spiral" isn't in the direct path of the 2013 coaster, the coaster could've been constructed with the ride still in place. The ride will be leaving the peninsula.

So now it makes you wonder if it will be called that at all. I have to agree that it doesn't seem like Cedar Point to give away the name that easily. They are going to make people work for it, especially this early into the 2012 season. Or it could be a double false clue. They could claim it is a false clue to throw people off and then in the end it be that name in the first place. Who really knows. Remember how long it was before people knew what in the world TTD would be? They are pretty good at keeping secrets.

Sounds like they are playing the same games with us they did for Intimidator, when "news" broke that the coaster would be themed around White Lightnin, Carowinds former shuttle loop.

Wes is right. They'll use an old moniker again just to get the people excited and reminiscent, then go with the real name, bold colors. If it's not red and yellow it will be blue and green.

I don't agree with the algorithm that people used to get Banshee. It just doesn't make sense. We usually read too much into things like that so I think it's just random characters.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

And I think it was just too easy for that to be the answer. Cedar Point has to be throwing them off. I expect much more of these to throw them off too.

My joking guess: DT will come to Dorney to the filled in pond field next to Dinosaurs Alive and Steel Force. The path leading to Dinosaur Alive has a sign frame over it. Since SFOT has La Vibora I propose calling it Brontosaurus Bobsled. Universal IOA has the dino flyers after all.

The people figuring too much into the clues are coming off the Hershey project games.
    Last edited by Leo C; 07-15-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Big thrills. Small hills. 89magnumxl200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tornbretto View Post
    That picture totally looks like the eyes from Steel Force (which we all know that Steel Force's logo is the abandoned Banshee Logo).
    Those eyes are definitely the same as Steel Force, and likely cropped from the original Banshee concept logo.

Favorites: Amusement Park: Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: Maverick

Banshee death guy had his way with Mantis and then left. He'll have his way again at CP and then leave til next time.

Getting back on track here of the overall Cedar Fair chain....here are the rumors and what is known as this point. All are in alphabetical order by park.

California's Great America-GCI Wooden Coaster is under construction. It is basically the same design as originally planned back in 2007 but with some more "new" GCI Elements as well. Coaster will open in 2013.

Canada's Wonderland-Nothing is really known at this time but with the recent success of "Luminosity" at Cedar Point, it may be unrolled to Canada's Wonderland for 2013.

Carowinds-Dinosaurs Alive is more than likely on the way in. The location would be adjacent to the Action Theater in an area of mostly unused parking lot. The Dinosaurs: Giant of Patagonia movie will probably end up being shown in the Action Theater. Construction Markers have also shown up in the kiddie area, hinting that maybe a new kiddie ride may be on the way in.

Cedar Point- Disaster Transport & Space Spiral to be torn down. New B&M Wing Coaster going in to front of the park to "make a statement". Entry Plaza will be redone. The deconstruction of the rides, the construction of the coaster and redoing of the entry plaza will cost a total of $25 million. Possible name (or at least code name of the coaster) is "GateKeeper". "Banshee" is a possible name as well. Either way, this B&M Wing Coaster will be the longest & fastest of its kind and will also feature the longest drop.

Dorney Park-WindSeeker may be making its debut at Dorney for 2013.

Kings Dominion-Rebel Yell may be getting rebuilt/retracked over a five year period just like many other wooden coasters in the Cedar Fair chain have over the past few years. This will more than likely begin in Late 2012.

Kings Island-Nothing is really known as this point, but Ouimet is showing signs and ideas of ridding the park of Son of Beast and getting a replacement ride of the park. Of course, this would take place over a period of a few years and not all in the same year. This could, however, begin in 2013.

Knott's Berry Farm-New Trains will be coming on GhostRider. Apparently they may be looking into Gravity Group for Timberliners.

Michigan's Adventure-The park hasn't had any major construction on the amusement park side in some years (except for the removal of Falling Star in 2012, which was a maintenance problem at the park). The waterpark (which is very popular) has gotten loads of love over the years. The latest rumor is that WindSeeker may make its way into Michigan's Adventure in 2013. It looks like it will be built over by Lake Wolverine or near Falling Stars old spot. The removal of Flying Trapeze is also a rumor as well right now. Dinosaurs Alive may also make its way into Michigan's Adventure sometime soon. Though some other parks have gotten major capital in the same year as a Dinosaurs Alive attraction, this will more than likely not happen at MIA. The park will eventually get both a Dinosaurs Alive as well as WindSeeker, but they will be in different years (though probably back-to-back). The park may also see it's first live entertainment show since the Royal Hanneford Circus.

Valleyfair-Dinosaurs Alive may be making it's way into Valleyfair as well. This may mean the demise of the parks mini-golf course. New Lighting Packages may also go in on the Ferris Wheel & Power Tower. This points to "Luminosity"

Worlds of Fun-Dinosaurs Alive may make it in to this park in 2013 as well. This park is probably one of the most ideal fits for the attraction. In addition, a new waterslide may be coming to Oceans of Fun. Something from ProSlide probably (or WhiteWaterWest).

In the end, according to Matt Ouimet, with the success of Dinosaurs Alive & WindSeeker (and the deals and contracts they have with each company) over the course of the next few years, every park in the chain will have each. In addition, "Luminosity" will be unrolled to all other parks after the recent success at Cedar Point (though this will take place over a few years). Just like "Fast Lane" & "Preferred Parking" was tested out at Kings Island (and now is at every single Cedar Fair park), the "Fun Perks" program at Kings Island this year will eventually be rolled out to all the other parks starting in 2013 if it is a success at KI.

There are reports of lots of markings at Carowinds. They are back by the flyers, Joe Cool's Driving School, and the trees in that area.

This area could easily fit the footprint of Disaster Transport which is a good ride if it is changed back to a standard bobsled coaster. It makes me wonder....

I'll try to get over there soon to check it out myself.
    205 coasters and counting...
    Travel Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    Favorites: Amusement Park: All of them | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro | Steel Roller Coaster: Intimidator

Just my opinion on this thread, as the construction seasons picks up and if a few parks do get new rides or attractions for next season, there really should be more than one general Cedar Fair thread. Both Cedar Point and Carowinds get a lot of comments on construction threads as we've seen in the past. Throw in another park or two and this thread could be a jumbled mess. That's why I did start the seperate Cedar Point thread sometime last week only to be merged. Each thread will get plenty of their own conversation, enough to justify a thread for each. If I want to read about one park or another, I don't want to have to dig to find the posts for the park I want to read about.

Please consider seperating the threads before it gets to be too many comments and it's a buffet of comments about 5 or 6 different parks if not more.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME

Well, this thread I feel is a thread to talk about 2013 in Cedar Fair overall (just like there is one for Six Flags overall in 2013). I began a thread over at Coaster-Net regarding this in which someone threw a fit as well (I know you aren't throwing a fit, just making an observation, but this guy threw a fit). I think it's a good idea for each to have their own separate threads as well as have them all linked together. They are brother & sister parks afterall.

Feel free to make a Carowinds thread I guess, I don't see anyone having an issue with that. As for Cedar Point, there already was a 2013 thread for the park so another one wasn't really needed- http://www.thrillnetwork.com/showthread.php?t=92286

Two points in response to your post. I did actually make a thread about Cedar Point for next year's attraction but it was merged into this one. That's why I made my last post. The second point is in reference to the link. I had totally forgotten about that thread even though I did post in it a couple times (whoops) so I feel that should be the "official" thread for CP 2013 since it was first and already had quite a few posts in it. As for Carowinds, I've never been there although interested in going eventually. I'm sure before long, someone will want to make an official Carowinds thread if not already.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME

It's no biggie...had to go back another page to find it anyway.

I do think that there should be a thread for all, and an individual thread for each park as well (where a deeper conversation related to whats going on there can be posted).

Regardless, new markers have gone up at Carowinds. As for California's Great America...stuff is really starting to pick up there. Soon enough I think an announcement about the coaster will come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast