Thread: Mean Streak this year?

Mean Streak this year?

I heard that Mean Streak was retracked, right? It is said to be running smoother or better but that was Cedar Point saying that so what would anyone expect them to say? I'm asking because I'll be going there next month and want to know if it's worth riding again. I'll probably ride it no matter what just to see for myself but I was curious what others thought. So anyone who rode it before this year and then again this year, I'd love to hear your opinions.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

On the hunt for 400 Thunderhawk's Avatar
    I've ridden Mean Streak in 2005, 2008, and May 2012. Mean Streak is smoother this year than it ever was in my previous trips, but it is still very heavily braked and only offers a single small pop of airtime. I guess what I am saying is, it is relatively smooth and certainly won't hurt you, but this doesn't make it a great ride, either.
    My hardest earned credit is The Legend at Holiday World, first ridden 5.19.2012, exactly 1399 days after my first visit to Holiday World.
    Next up: Beech Bend/Kentucky Kingdom/Kings Island/Cedar Point
    Favorites: Amusement Park: SFGAdv/Cedar Point/SFMM | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Ravine Flyer II, Outlaw Run, Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Bizarro @ SFNE, New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler

I don't mind the brakes or the boring ride..well actually I do mind but it's at least better than a boring ride that's overbraked and is also rough as anything and nearly ruins the day for you. I would have probably skipped the ride even with the word of it being retracked but one of my friends going has never been there and so we'll probably ride every coaster there. I would have probably had him skip it if it was still as rough. Thanks for the response.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I haven't ridden Mean Streak in a few years, but I never had a problem with it being smooth. I always thought it was one of the smoothest wooden coasters out there. My main problem has been the trims all around the ride. It has been slowed down an incredible amount and has made it a very boring ride. Whenever I need a break or a nap, I just hop on Mean Streak for a lap or two. Catch a few snores and then I head off to a roller coaster worth while.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

That's funny because I used to never have a big problem when I first started riding it in 2000. I don't think it was until 2006 or 07 that I really started to find it painfully uncomfortable. At this point, I'm hoping for Cedar Point to get this coaster the New Texas Giant treatment or tear it down altogether and get something new.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME

My two rides last year were very different. The first was early in the season and a decent ride, not terribly bumpy. The second was mid season and a back breaker.

I'll be there twice in the next two weeks and will report back.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback

I have only been on it once back in 2005 and halfway up the lift a torrential downpour started. The only thing I remember about it was ducking down in my seat, vaily attempting to avoid the constant pelting and getting soaked. Then we sat on the block brake before the station a good five minutes. Needlessly to say I was drenched and unhappy and didn't pay any attention to the ride. I don't remember it being slow or rough or heavily braked but with all the common comments I'm sure it's sub-par to its potential.

I did get to ride it this past week. It has improved a little, but I had to keep my back off the back of the seat to enjoy the ride at all. Really depends on what you think rough is. I still don't like it, but I would think more than a few would say its more than just tolerable now.
    Thrillnetwork Database Lead Editor (formerly coasterb)

Don't forget to log your rides in the database!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: Ravine Flyer II | Steel Roller Coaster: Diamondback